Pushing 60 and against my families wishes - I just ordered my first EUC!

Grandpa_Jay

‘Spect I will too!

On a slightly different topic, we are Mountain View Ar and there are some fiendishly steep roads and driveways. My first experience with steep roads, fun!  Much easier than I expected!  

Edited by Jkay
  • Haha 1

On 7/1/2023 at 10:35 PM, Jkay said:

Balance is an interesting topic...

It is, I suspect that balance may be something that can be kept in shape by use and I don't mean the kind of use that we take for granted like walking, sitting down, standing up from sitting, etc. I think that it might be that balance is akin to a muscle where it atrophies if not pushed to the limits and beyond.

Edited by Roadpower
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Well my V12 is on vacation for a while.  I was on a motorcycle trip and a low speed tip over in the mountains of Vermont broke both tibia and fibia on my left leg.  Can’t say enough nice things about Vermonters, they are awesome!  When on a solo motorcycle trip there is always a chance of injury but I take reasonable precautions.  And all this just when I was getting very comfortable on my V12.

One thing helped me get more comfortable on the V12 was to use to run errands on the property.  If I needed to go the the mail box, or check my bees, anything just hop on the EUC.  It seems the diversion of attention on my ride seemed to help a bunch on launch and landing.  I was getting really comfortable just hopping on and zipping around.  

• Sad 3

56 minutes ago, Jkay said:

I was on a motorcycle trip and a low speed tip over in the mountains of Vermont broke both tibia and fibia on my left leg.

Ouch, that sucks. It is sort of weird but I think it is the low speed situations that more frequently get riders into trouble and even seriously hurt. Years ago I used to listen to motorcycle centric podcasts. In this one episode the hosts were talking about a rider who had a very low speed accident in a parking lot. Somehow he hurt his jaw, from this several surgical operations ensued but the rider eventually succumb to the injury or its complications. 

Hopefully your healing process is speedy and true.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

@Ping Jockey Congratulations on your new wheel! What did you decide on for your first ride? 😂 

I know a lot of riders that I’d never classify as athletic. If you have a decent sense of balance and a good amount of stubbornness you should be able to learn. Loads of people will help you here, but it’s a steep learning curve at first. The larger the wheel (generally) the longer it will take to get comfortable. It’s opened up the city I live in and I’ve meet people I never would have. Good luck with your journey! I hope to follow your progress. 

• Upvote 2

Welcome to the asylum, Ping ! I’m two years in and still questioning the wisdom of riding a sketchy uni - wheeled, chip controlled thingamabob. Interesting choice. Will it be the new “Y” model, or an original NOS v11 ?

Anyhoo, best of luck, have fun learning, and enjoy the thrill.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ping Jockey said:

Being in my 60’s and lurking for a few days as a non-member I’d been trying to figure out if I’m too old to take the plunge into a EUC

Wheeling is the anti-aging medicine. When I jump on my wheel, people think I am only 16, when in fact I'm 64 and my wife 71. But if you happen to kill yourself on it, don't worry, you will be re-incarnated. By then, you would become a better wheeler!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

@Ping Jockey Congratulations on your new wheel! What did you decide on for your first ride? 😂 

For my first wheel I went with INMOTION V11, I caught it at what I consider a good price and decided I didn’t want to get one that I’d outgrow anytime soon.  I figured even if it is more difficult to turn I have nothing else to compare it too and if I don’t get past analysis paralysis I’ll just keep dithering forever.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ping Jockey said:

For my first wheel I went with INMOTION V11, I caught it at what I consider a good price and decided I didn’t want to get one that I’d outgrow anytime soon.  I figured even if it is more difficult to turn I have nothing else to compare it too and if I don’t get past analysis paralysis I’ll just keep dithering forever.  

Solid pick. That was my first wheel too. Good casual cruiser and all rounder. I posted a thread in the learning to ride section if you want to see my experience. Some people have a bit of a hard time with the higher than average pedal hight. You’ll get used to it and it gives you a good turning radius. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Ping Jockey said:

Not being athletic at any point in my life I was concerned with injuries and the like but finding lots of links here with people sharing my same concerns I placed an order for one last night.

Keep us abreast of your wheel journey...joy, challenges, pitfalls, injuries, mental/physical development....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

Solid pick. That was my first wheel too. Good casual cruiser and all rounder. I posted a thread in the learning to ride section if you want to see my experience. Some people have a bit of a hard time with the higher than average pedal hight. You’ll get used to it and it gives you a good turning radius. 

Thanks and I’d like to see it…searching for it now.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I am convinced that my V12 should be classified as a medical device, and therefore insurance should cover its purchase.  I might have some resistance from the insurance industry but… I’ll explain.  I am currently (since August 10, unable to ride my V12 because of my previously mentioned broken leg.  Well, here is, as some of us old timers remember, “the rest of the story”. 
‘For the last 20 years or so I have had some serious venious problems with my left leg.  When I bought my V12 everyone thought I needed a dip net dropping over me.  But I succeeded in riding over 500 miles in about 8 months.  During that time the venous ulcers on my leg healed!  I attribute it to better muscular fitness on my lower legs which could only be accomplished by riding the EUC.  Since I have been under house arrest waiting on the broken leg to mend the wounds are returning.  Absolute proof positive that the unicycle is a medical device for therefore should be covered by insurance.  So after 70  laps around the sun, I finally found the perfect way to maintain muscle strength in legs!  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Bigkidneys said:

Very cool!  Age is just a number.  I am 49 and bought a V11 a month ago.  Now I have a V11, A2 (My wife's) and a Patton lol.  That rabbit hole came quick...

Sounds about right. 🤣🤣 I read on another thread that your wife picked up riding the A2 very quickly. Did you learn on the same wheel, and or do you think it’s your wife or wheel that made the difference? I predict that patton is going to see a lot of action if it hasn’t already…….👀

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

Sounds about right. 🤣🤣 I read on another thread that your wife picked up riding the A2 very quickly. Did you learn on the same wheel, and or do you think it’s your wife or wheel that made the difference? I predict that patton is going to see a lot of action if it hasn’t already…….👀

I learned on my V11.  My wife is 4'11 and 98lbs so my gut tells me her lower COG was the reason but I am sure it had nothing to do with her athleticism lol.  Tried telling her it feels like snow skiing but forgot she has never been skiing lol.  I really want to love the Patton but the additional weight and wheel size is just throwing me off.  I feel so much more comfortable on the V11 that when I go for a quick ride,  I just take it since it feels more comfortable.  The PSI change on the Patton definitley helped alot but my last couple of falls are still fresh in my mind.  I will sayI think I may be different than others in that I do not like feeling "Locked in " with the power pads.  I feel like they have kept me from bailing in the past but the Patton is hard to stop and dismount without the pads.

• Like 2

@Bigkidneys I started ona V11 as well. It took me awhile to get used to the extra weight and size of my Sherman S. Now I barely ride the v11. The patton has much more torque for starting and stopping and fantastic suspension. Really like that wheel. It’s worth putting in the time to get comfortable on it. I do believe that getting accustomed to different wheels and their characteristics will make you a better overall rider. The longer I’ve ridden the more comfortable I am feeling locked in to my pads. I can still mount and dismount easily, but I can twist my wheel with one leg  no problem. 
You’re lucky your wife likes to ride with you! My girlfriend isn’t remotely interested…….😭

2 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

@Bigkidneys I started ona V11 as well. It took me awhile to get used to the extra weight and size of my Sherman S. Now I barely ride the v11. The patton has much more torque for starting and stopping and fantastic suspension. Really like that wheel. It’s worth putting in the time to get comfortable on it. I do believe that getting accustomed to different wheels and their characteristics will make you a better overall rider. The longer I’ve ridden the more comfortable I am feeling locked in to my pads. I can still mount and dismount easily, but I can twist my wheel with one leg  no problem. 
You’re lucky your wife likes to ride with you! My girlfriend isn’t remotely interested…….😭

I think it's just the feeling of the extra weight and being locked in I am most uncomfortable with.  I am claustrophobic so that doesn't help haha.  I have the Leatt knee pads and that also feels a little weird with the pads.  I have some of those G-Form pads coming to try those and see if they feel more comfortable.  I guess I just need to experiment and give each some time to adapt.  I am very fortunate that she is willing to try these hobbies of mine.  It makes it that much better especially since there aren't many riders in my area that I am aware of.

• Like 2