Pushing 60 and against my families wishes - I just ordered my first EUC!

Grandpa_Jay

16 minutes ago, Grandpa_Jay said:

Especially when I continue reading about wheels beeping and then cut off!

You are getting confused because different manufacturers use different ways of warning you about things. With Kingsong they warn you of your current speed with beeps and then use pedal tilt back to stop you over powering the wheel. As a rule of thumb do not try and push through a tiltback and you should be ok but to get a better understanding of other risks to consider please watch the following too..

• Like 1

I set EUC World to call out speed, battery charge, time, and distance ever 15 seconds on my phone (no blue tooth speaker on my V8F), to use as an audio speedometer. Probably better than constant beeps.

• Like 2

do this and when u can go back and forth between the boards without grabbing them, ur ready to ride. 

i'll always have parallel bars as long as i'm getting new wheels and sneakers. i like to try out the feel safely without dorking the wheel or my body.

stupid to try to learn any other way. this is so easy and cheap!

390039E2-10A7-4891-BB09-02E55C663BC3.jpeg.331ff1a13f0b9c68da831bccf1e582b4.jpeg

when the v13 comes, it goes between the boards so i can get a feel. i haven't been on the s22 much, so before i take it to the road again, it goes between the boards. i'm very particular about where my frozen foot goes, my dominant left foot, the wheel control foot, as long as my accelerator foot is even or a little forward, the rightfoot not so much. visually inspect where ur left or dominant foot is positioned on the pedal, and try to do it the same. don't worry about "free mounting" now, just get comfy surfing on the wheel. ur just standing on pedals, the wheel does the work. 

i go half a mile to my gate, grab it(which stopping and grabbing a gate doestake some expertise)inpest my feet position, twist around and head back a half mile to my tractor tire or something else. right now i'm just getting acclimated to this wheel, it's terrible tire, the wind, the sun, the donkeys, the cows, etc etc etc. 

i'll practice freemounting once i wrap my ankles.

look where u wanna go, same with motorcycles.

like i learned in rc helis, never think to urself, just one more flight for the day, just go fly again. 

don't think just one more ride, just ride. u keep riding, it will get comfortable. 

and if u do hit tiltback, it's nbd, u won't for awhile.

1 hour ago, Grandpa_Jay said:

SO, It appears that I did injure my back a bit with that last fall :( I am pretty sure it is only muscle, it will heal.  So, I didn't take the wheel to the park as planned yesterday - but I did take it out for a few minutes.  I had the first BEEP warning set at 10mph - I hit 10mph and it said...(Beep Beep Beep)+ (Beep Beep Beep)+(Beep Beep Beep) I bailed!!  I went in to look and the apps (both World and KS) had the Speed LIMIT set at 12 mph again!  WHY??  I checked it before going out and the Speed Limit was 19.9mph and Beeps set at 10, 15, 17 and tilt back at 20!  After the endless beeping incident, it had changed to Speed Limit 12mph  Both apps were checked and set the same before riding - both went back to 12mph speed limit.  

After checking - I went back out and rolled a few hundred feet this way and a few hundred feet back = Both aps reverted back to the 19.9mph limit!!  There is no place for me to change this speed limit - the wheel must be doing so on its own.  I would like to know how fast I am going, but the beeps freak me out!  Two or three times I rode it far enough to get it to the 10mph beep - each time that I stayed on it = it continued beeping until I either slowed down, or bailed.  I think it said my fastest speed was 11.4mph.  

I am going back out for a few minutes today, but I am not sure what is going on, or what should I do about it.

Ouch about the back... glad it's soft tissue only. Give rest and recovery their due time.

Screenshots of your settings would be excellent, a number of things are confusing me and visuals will help. The alarms setting screen, and the one that's showing your speed limit.

It's an odd coincidence that 12 mph is also a bit over 19 kilometers per hour. I'm wondering if you're getting flipped between the two measurement systems?

27 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Ouch about the back... glad it's soft tissue only. Give rest and recovery their due time.

Screenshots of your settings would be excellent, a number of things are confusing me and visuals will help. The alarms setting screen, and the one that's showing your speed limit.

It's an odd coincidence that 12 mph is also a bit over 19 kilometers per hour. I'm wondering if you're getting flipped between the two measurement systems?

I noticed something like this yesterday. EUC World kept telling me to 'please slow down', which didn't make sense due to my speed limits all being set 19+ mph. Freaked me out to hear the voice tell me to SLOW DOWN. I was convinced that something was wrong with my wheel, and the app was trying to warn me. Nope. Had the same thought as you. What if the #'s being displayed in MPH were actually KPH? I switched between the official KS app and EUC World a few times, and the problem seemed to resolve itself. 

2 hours ago, Grandpa_Jay said:

SO, It appears that I did injure my back a bit with that last fall :( I am pretty sure it is only muscle, it will heal.  So, I didn't take the wheel to the park as planned yesterday - but I did take it out for a few minutes.  I had the first BEEP warning set at 10mph - I hit 10mph and it said...(Beep Beep Beep)+ (Beep Beep Beep)+(Beep Beep Beep) I bailed!!  I went in to look and the apps (both World and KS) had the Speed LIMIT set at 12 mph again!  WHY??  I checked it before going out and the Speed Limit was 19.9mph and Beeps set at 10, 15, 17 and tilt back at 20!  After the endless beeping incident, it had changed to Speed Limit 12mph  Both apps were checked and set the same before riding - both went back to 12mph speed limit.  

After checking - I went back out and rolled a few hundred feet this way and a few hundred feet back = Both aps reverted back to the 19.9mph limit!!  There is no place for me to change this speed limit - the wheel must be doing so on its own.  I would like to know how fast I am going, but the beeps freak me out!  Two or three times I rode it far enough to get it to the 10mph beep - each time that I stayed on it = it continued beeping until I either slowed down, or bailed.  I think it said my fastest speed was 11.4mph.  

I am going back out for a few minutes today, but I am not sure what is going on, or what should I do about it.

Sad to hear - get well soon. :(

You do know even if it beeps - you don't need to worry.. Those alarm are just for that. If your alarms are set 10, 15, 17... It will beep at 10 - because first alarm. Second alarm the beeps will be faster/different. And third alarm they will be again - different. (Each speed has its own beeps.)

My first alarm is set at 38km/h - when i hear my quiet beeps, i know i'm going 38km/h. Second alarm is set at 42km/h - which is my "max" riding speed normally. That alarm is very loud beeps+voice. I sometime ride both beeps. Because i know i got still 8km/h speed left. And closer i get to 50km/h i start to get my 3rd/last alarm, before tiltback. The 3rd alarm only happen right before my pedals start tilting back. (It's the alarm for letting me know it will start to lift pedals any second.) But i never ride to 3rd alarm. I keep it around 42-44km/h speed.

Loud beeps stop, quiet beeps start - i know i'm going 38-42 speed. If loud beeps start again im going over 42.. Again if loud beeps stop and quiet start i'm going 38-42. That's how you know how fast you are going..

I specially set those 2 alarms so close so i know i'm riding ~40km/h speed. Normally i'm going 35-38, so i don't hear any beeps.

The beeps will continue to beep - till you slow down. If you have set them at 10mph - it will start to beep at 10mph. Next speed alarm it will change the beep speed and they may be louder.. Letting you know now you are going past second speed alarm.. Same for 3rd alarm - it will start to beep faster/ louder - letting you know you have passed 3rd alarm. The beeps won't stop - till you slow down. Below 10mph, because first alarm.

That's why i got only 2 alarms and very close. So i know i'm going 38-42km/h speed. Anything below 38 - no beeps whatsoever. (Only if i overpower it or something - Kingsong wheels will tell you "Overpower - please slow down" Those alarms will literally say what's wrong. (But i have voices enabled..)

Try riding and holding phone in hand. That way you will know how fast you are going and if alarms work right. (I did that, first time i was messing around my alarms. I set them at lower speed and was watching phone.) When i set them at "higher" speed, i did the "free spin" test, while holding EUC by pedals.

Edited by Funky

1 hour ago, dredwheel said:

EUC World kept telling me to 'please slow down', which didn't make sense due to my speed limits all being set 19+ mph. Freaked me out to hear the voice tell me to SLOW DOWN.

You can avoid that, and still get the alarm by selecting EUC World alarms as 'pre-alarms', which only vibrate the phone a bit, and don't issue any speed warnings. I have Alarms 1 and 2 set to this so I know when I pass 30 and 40, but the remaining 2, at 50 and 70 remain full audible ones.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

You can avoid that, and still get the alarm by selecting EUC World alarms as 'pre-alarms', which only vibrate the phone a bit, and don't issue any speed warnings. I have Alarms 1 and 2 set to this so I know when I pass 30 and 40, but the remaining 2, at 50 and 70 remain full audible ones.

Just set it up. Thanks for the tip! Bummed I can't use AVAS through the S22's non-existent bluetooth speakers.

7 hours ago, novazeus said:

between the boards without grabbing them

The issue with rails is that is there is no room to steer for balance, and even in the case of single rail or wall, one issue is if a beginner starts to lose balance, they reach for a rail or wall rather than trying to balance, and the rail or wall may be too far way for a clean recovery. I did use a screened fence for rock back and forth drills, and a few short 10 foot or so runs, but after about 20 minutes of the beginner drills, mostly to get used to leaning forwards|backwards, I ventured away from the fence so I had room to maneuver. This was at a tennis court, and I started off at 3 to 5 mph, arm flailing (flail left to steer right and vice versa) for balance and direction, able to do laps on my first attempt, but riding at slow speed is a step that can wait until later. I switched to a long straight outdoor parking lot and found my V8F became stable at 6 to 8 mph, where I no longer had to make balance corrections if riding in a straight line, and relaxed my arms. I then learned to tilt steer (inner foot down, outer foot up), doing weaves and a bit later, large radius turns. It took about 6 hours (30 minutes a day, 3 days a week, so almost a month) to get decent at coordinating how much to tilt the EUC and how much to lean depending on speed and turning radius. I was doing 30 minutes a day, using support to mount and launch, waiting until day 5 when I could ride reasonably well before I started free mounting, which wasn't an issue.

Edited by rcgldr
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, rcgldr said:

The issue with rails is that is there is no room to steer for balance,

it's doable but it's very difficult. that's the whole purpose of the parallel bars. if u can't balance inbetween the rails, u ain't ready.

btw, this info is for the op because he said he got hurt.

riding slow is how u learn.

haha, i learned on a king song 18s 1680wh version. unlocked at 200km, not 1000. i had other little wheels too.

so have u tried any full size wheels yet?

it's whatever works for u, if ur young and don't mind falling, or old and don't mind falling. the reason for the rails, is not to get hurt or drop ur wheel.

but if u don't want to damage ur wheel or ur body, just like learning to walk after a stroke, u will use the parallel bars. 

i know it is hard as it can be. but it think a good rider would not have a problem idling back and forth. idk, i'm not a good rider yet. but when i am, i'll shoot a short video showing u it's possible. some of us with bunches of animals depending on us, can't risk being laid up, there is no replacement for me. cowboys are in short supply where i live and they aren't any worth hiring.

anybody can ride fast, takes zero balance, riding slow, takes expertise.

https://www.ewheels.com/product/king-song-18s-840wh-1680wh-1500w-motor/

https://youtu.be/XYBwjx8dwoU

Edited by novazeus

2 hours ago, novazeus said:

riding slow is how u learn. how old

I started at 69.5 years old, back in August 2021 on a V8F. Riding slow is how I started, but most beginners learn to ride at a bit faster speed, where an EUC approaches stability and at sufficient speed, fully stable. Riding slow using arm flailing is almost instinctive for some beginners. My wife took this video on day 2, but it's not much different than my first attempt. I didn't realize I was hunched over until I saw the video, which I corrected afterwards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPyy84EThmM

It's not that difficult. Video of a 3 year old arm flailing for balance, although direction control isn't great:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/z9YiHu5HJ6o

As for skilled riding while nearly stopped speed, lots of arm flailing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro3o8U9uZeU&t=57s

Still the normal sequence is to ride at a bit faster speed. Kuji Rolls made a video where he teaches a girl to ride. At first she uses a lot of arm movements, but eventually she increases speed and is able to relax her arms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6o8ZMlo5ko&t=414s

2 hours ago, novazeus said:

I don't get the bit with Harley Davidson motorcycles. They have a lot of trail and are easy to ride at slow speeds. 

On 1/5/2023 at 9:44 AM, The Brahan Seer said:

You are missing the point as highlighted in this previous post on this thread...

The wheel beeps continuously when you hit 10mph as illustrated below, when you hit the next warning the pattern of the beeps change as shown but they still continue till you hit the next higher or lower one.

image.thumb.png.e0d74e49cbd30330e71adeacb7c24824.png

So you are saying that the wheel (as set) will start beeping when I hit 10mph (or whatever the first beep is set at) & will continue beeping until I am under 10mph? 

If that's the deal then I think I will turn off the beeping! 

I went back to the park for a few minutes today. I did NOT go above 10mph! (Max speed today 9.8mph). NO beeping! A better day.

15 minutes ago, Grandpa_Jay said:

So you are saying that the wheel (as set) will start beeping when I hit 10mph (or whatever the first beep is set at) & will continue beeping until I am under 10mph? 

If that's the deal then I think I will turn off the beeping! 

I went back to the park for a few minutes today. I did NOT go above 10mph! (Max speed today 9.8mph). NO beeping! A better day.

Yes - you are right it will start to beep and will continue..

If you turn them all OFF - you will not know what speed you are riding.. Or if you are closing to the s18 28mph limit.

Simply set 3rd alam at something like 20mph.. And turn first/second off. That way you will hear the most aggressive alarm.. And only when you are passing those set 20mph. 

I did the same at start.. The rider can say how safe they fell and so. While riding any given speed. But you need AT LEAST one alarm, at highest speed you are willing to go.

I'm willing to go ~26mph max speed at any given time. So i have set most aggressive alarm there.. Most of my rides are at 20-23mph speeds. Meaning i don't hear beeps on daily bases. But i still have the "max" speed alarm i'm willing to ride.

Edited by Funky
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks @Funky I will definitely be resetting this so it doesn't beep at me until I am much better at riding! in still mostly flailing around at low speeds. The two times I got close to cruising, the beeps led me to bail.  BUT, I am still improving with every attempt .

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Grandpa_Jay said:

Thanks @Funky I will definitely be resetting this so it doesn't beep at me until I am much better at riding! in still mostly flailing around at low speeds. The two times I got close to cruising, the beeps led me to bail.  BUT, I am still improving with every attempt .

Bail as jumping off while at riding/speed?

Beeps are your FRIEND! Respect them - because they are there to protect you! Simply if you hear them - wheel doesn't like something. Or it is the speed alarm. Simply slow down till they stop. If it's the speed alarm slowing down will stop the beeping, because you are going again under the set alarm margin. No need to be afraid. :D 

Does phone call make you afraid also? It's the same idea, wheels is talking true Morse Code. :D Beep, Beep, Beep, - Please good sir, slow down! Or i will throw you off, if you continue to ignore me.

Watch out also for the tiltback.. I don't like it, so i have set mine at "max" speed wheel allows. So i never have to experience it. And i can hear alarm very good, so they are enough for me.

Luckily speed alarms are just to let you know - you are going over set speed. Even if you go past all 3 alarms like 10/15/20.. You still can ride to 28mph, while it's beeping like CRAZY. Because your wheel can go 28mph... You can ride with beeping till ~25mph pretty safely. (Without quick accelerations/movements at top speed, or you may get a cut-out.) 

If it starts to beep at 10mph.. You got plenty of room till hitting 28mph. :D No need to be afraid...

Edited by Funky

I just wanted to stop by here to say thank you to everyone for your support and advise through this very long learning period.  We are going to be out of town for a few days, so I won't be able to get on my wheel or this forum.  I am not giving up, just taking a break.  I will be changing the beeping warnings before I ride again!  I am not a fan of distractions in general, but it seems as ANYTHING causes me to bail when trying to ride this thing!  I am certain this will change once I feel more confident that I am riding the wheel - not just trying.  BUT, for now beeping, phone ringing, dog barking, roster crowing, wife watching, vehicles near by --> ANYTHING LOL.  Once I feel that I am actually riding  -  I will revisit the warning beeps.

@Funky Yes, by bailing I mean jumping off while riding/speed - but that is almost always less than 5mph.  I don't have ANY concerns about going too fast right now!  I think I may have had it up to 12mph ONE time - only for a few seconds.  I had it between 10 and 12 (again, only for a few seconds) twice.  I do always try to stop in a controlled manner & sometimes I manage :) !  

My last 'ride' was back at the park - but I didn't really leave the Pavilion. EXCEPT, at the end I did attempt the parking lot again = this time I won!  It is rough gravel. I rode a good 100 yards or so, and turned around and started back!  After the turn around it was mostly push, push, hop back - but I did NOT fall!  I was able to do some turns and was actually moving on the wheel for about 20 minutes - without falling and only dropped the wheel a couple of times!  Max speed 9.8mph (no beeps :) )

SO, here we are - a month an a half ? :( BUT, I am getting there.  I will be riding by spring!  Thank you all, again, for your continued support. Good lord willing, and weather permitting, I will be back on the wheel this weekend! I'm hoping to get a ride in tomorrow also as we aren't leaving until Tuesday but I wanted to be sure I posted this before we go.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Grandpa_Jay said:

I will revisit the warning beeps

If your EUC has tiltback then i wouldn't worry about the beeps ever, after awhile you can kind of determine how fast you are going so it's not really important and if your worried about cutout then don't push past the tiltback. I hit it on my v-11 all of the time and it works great for keeping you from overdoing it. Thanks for the update and don't be discouraged at all. It hasn't taken you a month in a half to learn to ride you rode it the first week, you are now just refining your skills and doing just fine.

• Like 3

You’ll get past distractions throwing you off. Things will become second nature and muscle memory will do most of the work. You clearly have the determination to learn and as @Punxatawneyjoe stated you already have! 
I’m currently riding a ksL and have the beeps turned off except the last one set at 48km which kicks in at more or less the same time as the tiltback. I found that keeps things less noisy while still giving me feedback. My v11 I have unlocked and ride close to tiltback regularly. You’ll get a feel for judging speeds by wind noise, things passing by, and just feel. The more you ride the more it will feel like an extension of your body and less like you’re riding an ostrich balancing on a bowling ball. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1