S22 owners.. buy, wait, skip?

No1up

On 11/29/2022 at 5:43 AM, NSFW said:

They could have used the accelerometers as the primary reference, in which case the rider would follow the curve of the ramp like a skateboarder

No, they really couldn’t. Think how the wheel would react when accelerating and braking. Or if it would include the vertical acceleration to assess how to tilt the pedals, what happens when you ride over a bump.

King Song S22 2023 Version updates Video:

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, No1up said:

you kidding or did it finally get updated?

u have to sign in to ur kingsong acct and there it lets u change it to mph.

says mph in the app. idk about the display because i haven't ridden it yet, and actually covered it up when i padded it, because i don't need to look at it, the phone has it in the app.

couldn't really get up to speed in the container, haha.

2 hours ago, No1up said:

you kidding or did it finally get updated?

v2.25 mainboard firmware, yes

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

u have to sign in to ur kingsong acct and there it lets u change it to mph.

that's the missing trick (profile>settings)... the wheel display does switch to mph, and the display has a single dot running left-to-right under the speed to remind you.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Tawpie said:

that's the missing trick (profile>settings)... the wheel display does switch to mph, and the display has a single dot running left-to-right under the speed to remind you.

Ok, so how terrible is the stock suspension set up? Can one get away with cleaning the sliders after each use for a bit or is it something that you should probably do ASAP! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tawpie said:

haha, i've been away so long, not screwing with eucs, i didn't think about doing a lift spin to check the display on the wheel. 

haha, trying to figure out the lift sensor on it, i managed to put a skid mark on my floor. 

waiting wasn't an option for me. i was wheelless.

but if i had wheels that were getting me around, and the price difference wasn't that great, i'd definitely wait for the new s22 with the 4000 watt motor. i have a friend on here doing exactly that because he hasn't the time to wrench on a wheel. i don't either but i might sell this s22 to somebody later and buy the 2023 model. if the 2023 model is thousands more, then i'll be wrenching myself. 

honestly, i haven't ridden either yet, but i bet the s18 is gonna be my favorite for my situation. handling, maneuverability, weight, etc etc is more important than range or speed for me. i'm always looking at the pavement as i ride and doing calculations on how bad i'll be hurt hitting it if the wheel fails on me. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, novazeus said:

waiting wasn't an option for me. i was wheelless.

but if i had wheels that were getting me around, and the price difference wasn't that great, i'd definitely wait for the new s22 with the 4000 watt motor. i have a friend on here doing exactly that because he hasn't the time to wrench on a wheel. i don't either but i might sell this s22 to somebody later and buy the 2023 model. if the 2023 model is thousands more, then i'll be wrenching myself. 

honestly, i haven't ridden either yet, but i bet the s18 is gonna be my favorite for my situation. handling, maneuverability, weight, etc etc is more important than range or speed for me. i'm always looking at the pavement as i ride and doing calculations on how bad i'll be hurt hitting it if the wheel fails on me. 

Where’d you hear about bigger motor? I’d like to know if more battery will be an option next year for extended range.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Crab said:

Where’d you hear about bigger motor? I’d like to know if more battery will be an option next year for extended range.

lol, read the 10th post in this thread before yours :rolleyes:

Edited by litewave
  • Like 2

eWheels informed me a couple weeks ago that:

• New batches will have upgraded sliders.
  • These won't have LiTech packs, but eWheels says they will be definitely fitting them with 40Ts as well. "Price should be the same" but [they] need to make sure with KS.
  • KS promised to ship out a supply of the upgraded motors in the next container. For pinning down an ETA with the sliders & these other motors, [they're] probably about 6 weeks out [comment: eWheel's time estimates tend to be optimistic.]
Edited by litewave
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, litewave said:

eWheels informed me a couple weeks ago that:

• New batches will have upgraded sliders.
  • These won't have LiTech packs, but eWheels says they will be definitely fitting them with 40Ts as well. "Price should be the same" but [they] need to make sure with KS.
  • KS promised to ship out a supply of the upgraded motors in the next container. For pinning down an ETA with the sliders & these other motors, [they're] probably about 6 weeks out [comment: eWheel's time estimates tend to be optimistic.]

I got most the same info also but not about batteries.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, No1up said:

Ok, so how terrible is the stock suspension set up? Can one get away with cleaning the sliders after each use for a bit or is it something that you should probably do ASAP! 

When mine arrived I took it apart (I do this anyway, QC problems are not unique to any single manufacturer) and cleaned the so-called-grease (it's really glue) from the sliders using acetone. I also removed the rubber stoppers and replaced them with a dust prevention cap I got on fleabay (excellent seller, great product). Then I made sure the bolts that hold the shock weren't so tight the shock linkage was bound up (shims).

Suspension was pretty good after that. After about 200 miles I squirted some 3M dry silicone spray in the lube ports of the dust prevention caps, and the ride got better! It's almost but not quite as smooth as my carefully aligned S18. Since then, only 1 more squirt of dry silicone and it's not squeaking or misbehaving in any way. I'm very happy, although I will move to roller sliders at some point. It's not mandatory for me, but it'll be nicer!

Oh. I'm a very light rider so I swapped out the spring for a 500 lb/in version (to set sag at about 20% of the shock travel). You'll want to check your sag and make adjustments accordingly. I'll probably go to 600 lb with the stock sliders, then back to the stock 750 when I switch to rollers.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Upvote 1