How to make EUC looks cooler and easier to learn?

Bob Yan

EUC looks dorky in the majority's eyes, and the steep learning curve is another big barrier. 

For our riders, we know how fun and unique of the riding experience of EUC, and lots of us regret that we should have got into the EUC world earlier.  How to share that kind of fun and excitement to more people is what we've been thinking of these years, obviously we should have a way to change the public image of the EUC, if people think it's cool instead of nerdy, they might have motivation to give it a shoot, and if they can learn to ride it within a few minutes, it'll help too. 

So any ideas?  I hope we can have a brainstorm here. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

If EUCs were positively presented in a popular music video or a movie, the interest towards EUCs would surely take a monumental leap in the generic population.

I am damn sure, the next Marvel picture will be: EUCMAN  The ride for glory!

:P

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

4) Learning will alway be difficult. Learning sessions at local stores is a good option together with more teaching videos. Biggest motivation ti learn is seeing exciting videos if people enjoying riding and having friends who ride.
I cannot see how average learning time could be measured in minutes. Nobody learned to ride a bike in minutes but we all learned it as a child. Children can learn quickly so maybe put the emphasis on next generation. Maybe you should develop a wheel aimed for kids? They’ll buy a V13 when they grow up.

Maybe we can also think about the formation of the wheel, how to make it easier to learn, like a wide wheel to make it easier to balance left and right side?

I just have to look at the people in my family and relatives, and all I can say is that almost all have no interest. I only know of one relative who ride an e-bike instead of driving a car for a few short trips. This person has absolutely no interests in euc's. 

When out riding, very, very few express interest. The average person will tell me euc's look too dangerous. However, on very few occasions, there were kids who were mesmerized, along with even fewer adults. There were only a handful of random people who were ready to go online to learn more about euc's.

I met one young adult who told me he really wanted to ride an euc. But he bought a e-scooter instead because while at EEVEES, he wasn't able to ride an euc after trying one. Another encounter was with an older adult who rides an e-scooter; he told me he just couldn't learn to ride an euc, so he gave up. His friends have euc's. 

At the moment, I believe not everyone will have interest to learn to ride an euc.

The general public perception needs to be changed so that euc's are perceived to be not anymore difficult to learn than a bicycle. And equally important, euc's are not more dangerous to ride.

And to address the steep learning curve, for those who are sitting on the fence, you need an euc that is not intimidating, and easy to click with. The potential rider needs self assurance that it is possible to learn. Perhaps, an euc along the lines of Mten4? The tire diameter must be small, but with high gyro, to assist rider balance. The higher gyro would allow a new rider to start being able to balance at a slower speed. Since, the euc is small, and the pedals are low, the rider can easily step off without injury. In addition, this learner's wheel need to be light and not top heavy so that the learner can start balancing at a lower speed. Moreover, this learner's wheel need to be rugged because it could be dropped many times.

I think looks are important to euc riders, or some individuals watching YouTube, but for the majority of the public, what stands out for them are riders gliding on one wheel silently. Most euc's are black, with the rider on board, they won't be able to tell much.

Now to address the elephant in the room, euc's are illegal in Canada and in other countries. It is just that local police for the most part don't enforce the law.

Edited by techyiam
  • Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Maybe throw in something from this side of riding to the video as well?

Absolutely. However, the word "cool" concerns public perception (as well as perception of public perception), i.e. the impressiveness/prestige/social signalling of riding and EUC. And being a smart mode of transportation with a healthy posture is not that cool (just how an automatic car gearbox or orthopedic mattress are not really in the realm of "cool" although they typically improve your life much more than a fashionable jacket). Nevertheless these are key aspects of promotion to grown-ups for whom the outwards coolness is secondary (there are not so many such people, I think). There are some persuasive videos comparing EUC to other modes of transport, but for the general public such videos should come second. The first thing is to get their attention and convey the message "this might be cool, this is perhaps not nerdy" in just a few minutes. Once you have their interest you can delve into details and explanations and focus on practicality, universality or the beatiful feeling of freedom (which is difficult to quickly explain to a non-rider).

• Like 1

What I have observed is that from last summer to this summer, there have been a significant increase of electric kick scooters ridership. Electric Kick Scooters were legalized in 2021.

In BC, the pilot program was amended on September 13, 2022, to include two more municipalities, and to allow them to ride on main roads. This includes roads with a speed limit at or below 50 km/h, and only in bike lanes on roads with a speed limit above 50 km/h. This is huge. Before, they were only restricted to secondary roads, like side streets. Hopefully in the near future, the program gets expanded to include euc's.

But in the meantime, electric kick scooter riders could be good candidates to get switched over to eucs. Currently, I don't see more euc riders this year over last years, well at least at places where I ride.

Also, from what I can tell, most bicyclists or e-bikes are commuters who are quite fit to very fit. They want the exercise. None has ever inquire about my euc. I suspect many cyclists are not good candidates. Incidentally, there are always cyclists who want to ride ahead of PEV'S. Some of these riders are fit and fast. In fact, the fastest riders on bike routes are these all decked out racers type, not the riders on e-bikes. The latter can't afford to waste precious battery power.

Having said that, once in a blue moon, some soccer mom type, not in a mini van, but on a cargo bike with two kids in the back come zooming through all the traffic. I swear, her bike must have been modded. 🙂

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, techyiam said:

electric kick scooter riders could be good candidates to get switched over to eucs

Indeed electric scooters are a "gateway drug" in the world of e-rideables. Personally I first got a scooter as a sensible no-parking commuting vehicle (saving 20 mins a day compared to next-fastest mode, the car and paying off after some 3-6 months). The scooter (M365) underperformed and proved dangerous due to small wheels. That's when I started wathcing wrongway's scooters reviews. In one review he used the EUC to get to the scooter (it's the dualtron X review). This is where I had the revelation -- this unicycle seems much more fun, practical and simple than the scooter the video was intended about.

Luckily, inmotion has a scooter lineup so it is in position to advertise their EUCs among their own scooter ridership. I think e-scooter riders are much more open to EUCs. The learning curve is the principle obstacle. Perhaps offer free inmotion EUC lessons to buyers of inmotion scooters or something like this? If they don't learn after four 30-minute lessons (or some other training schedule), offer money back :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bob Yan said:

EUC looks dorky in the majority's eyes, and the steep learning curve is another big barrier. 

For our riders, we know how fun and unique of the riding experience of EUC, and lots of us regret that we should have got into the EUC world earlier.  How to share that kind of fun and excitement to more people is what we've been thinking of these years, obviously we should have a way to change the public image of the EUC, if people think it's cool instead of nerdy, they might have motivation to give it a shoot, and if they can learn to ride it within a few minutes, it'll help too. 

The grunge/Skateboarder look is not cool. Look at MC riders, leather jacket & dark jeans, black gloves,  and a full face helmet. I usually throw on a HiViz vest, that is ultimate dork, but the SUV drivers are always distracted. Lights on your EUC do nothing but impress the other riderz, better to have lights on your upper body.

The coolest look is making it look easy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yoos said:

whom the outwards coolness is secondary (there are not so many such people, I think).

This is something that I will forever oppose. Concerns of being cool are a part of teenagers’ insecurity, that will usually fade away pretty quickly after reaching 20. Some people like me and most of my friends never had those concerns. The only people I personally know who have any desire to be cool in others eyes are my 17 and 19 year old nephews.

Like @techyiam pointed out, during my 34000km on an EUC I have also not even once heard anyone say how riding an EUC is lame, uncool or anything in those lines. Not even one of those teenager group laughters that they do when they try to appear cool to each other.

Instead, I’ve heard dozens of times how riding must be incredibly  dangerous. Last time I heard that was a teenager to his friends, who then zoomed off on e-kickscooters… Oh the irony!

I’m not sure whether I’ve heard more of it being dangerous, or someone being sure that they would never learn to ride an EUC. These two have appeared to be the main obstacles of public intake, coolness factor being far far down the list. If even being on the list in the first place.

• Like 1

When I ride around the fancy bar district by my city's harbor, Typically in all black and a Hi-Viz vest, everyone thinks I'm a Mall-cop. I've gone rolling with the guards, its fun, until...

"....Excuse me, Officer! There are two women fighting around the corner, they are pulling each other's hair! You should do something!" 

Me: "I'm not an officer, Just because I'm Irish you think I'm a cop? ;) you should call 911"  (Mall cop is calling 911.)

I've pondered putting "Not a cop" on my vest, but the bad guys can't read much.  

Edited by GothamMike
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bob Yan said:

Maybe we can also think about the formation of the wheel, how to make it easier to learn, like a wide wheel to make it easier to balance left and right side?

Show people learning with the use of under-the-pedal brushes, which can get them started with less fear of tipping over to the sides, I’m surprised the manufacturers haven’t already made these as learning accessories. 

In a short package, your important factors here are quality and safety, (company side) Equipping your distributors to take care of their customers in the event of problems, (Trust-very important with the high up front cost) Influencers, (To expose people to the joys and capabilities of EUC riding when they don't know anyone with one) and the general riders being good ambassadors. (Being able to answer questions by interested people, safe and competent usage, and actively helping others learn.) 

As someone who very recently discovered EUCs and pulled the trigger on buying one without ever seeing one in person, I can say that your influencers are incredibly important for potential customers who are not in areas where people see a lot of EUCs already. Chooch Tech's trail riding videos were what took me from "these look fun" to "That's something I could actually use, and not just something for people who live in the city!" Wrongway's reviews and videos on a wide range of EUC topics informed my views of EUC a lot more from a practical and learning level.

I wanted to be able to try out an EUC before I bought one, but there are no stores or actively teaching people in my city that I was able to find. Using your distributors and happy customers to expose and teach people is your best way to reach more customers. Especially if the company videos and designs show what EUCs are capable of, that they are safe, and that the customer's life will be improved by your product. I got my wheel because I was stuck behind a desk all the time and wanted something with a little risk and challenge to get me out. The fact that it takes some effort and skill to use well was a positive thing for me, not to mention that I'll be able to start conversations easily now.

I guess what I am trying to say is that while some design improvements might make EUCs more attractive or less scary to initially learn, the biggest factor is exposure and having people who are willing and able to come alongside new customers to help guide them into the new world they are getting into. Someone who is less driven than I was may have been worried to commit $2500 (plus gear costs!) to a machine that they have no personal experience with or assistance learning on. "What if I have a technical problem or have trouble learning" are major concerns that can be alleviated with a store/distributor close by/competent users available. 

On the topic of cosmetics, I partially agree with @UniVehje's opinion on rainbow lights, at least on models that are capable enough to not be labeled as "toys." (I DO like the lights on my V12 because of the customization available.) The Shermans, S18, S22, and V12, and most Begode models do not strike you as toys, but capable machines. Marketing to kids is great, but a majority of people will like something that looks good and reflects its capabilities visually over a rainbow-lighted egg if they have the option. (No offence to the wheels that fit that description.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bob Yan said:

Let's bring back the V3 Pro with its two wheels 😄

In terms of learning I know that a bunch of people already learned to balance and ride, but quickly gave up before gaining confidence due to fear or a bad experience (an early crash)

There's a whole class of content that doesn't really exist or is very hard to find:

• How to learn to balance
  • How to ride around pedestrians: best practices, what to watch for, what to avoid 
  • How to ride on bike lanes 
  • How to ride around cars
  • How to handle interactions and crossings
  • How to ride on rocks, off-road, grass
  • How to handle unexpected obstacles, what to practice
  • Tight turns and emergency braking 
  • Which gear and why 
  • (15+ more ideas)

Inmotion could make a difference here by sponsoring various content creators covering each topic from their own perspective, and aggregate everything in a step by step guide in a large playlist.

That could be called EUC School. With a quizz at the end of each section. The best thing to do while waiting for the first wheel to be delivered, and helping those on the fence to get their own EUC!

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Bob Yan said:

This is going to be a bit unfocused but I spend most of my time thinking about the problem if mass-market adoption and want to get my thoughts out before the thread goes stale...

----

The premise is 100% NOT the case in my city.

We are constantly being told how cool we look, everyone comments that they would like to ride but they just can't imagine that they would be able to do it themselves.

Yesterday morning I pulled onto a road in front of a pickup, slid off to a side road, the truck pulled alongside and as we move down the read at 45kmh or so the driver rolled down his window to shout out how AWESOME my ride was. This is fairly regular occurrence for me anyway. 

Of course, I was riding at speed without gear and drinking a coffee while all all this was going on. (Yes, I know this is triggering for many of you, this isn't the place to time or place to take me to task, it's already been discussed ad nauseum) 😊 

----

Frankly speaking, what makes wheeling less cooler is slower speeds and more gear.

Riders who put on a ton of gear and ride at 20kmh an hour look silly, no one wants any part of that. 

Riding without gear at 30kmh on an S-18 is cool, people want to try it. I've parked my Ex and started riding the S-18 the last few weeks and the difference in the reaction I get from the crowd is astounding. That's why I ride the S-18 wherever possible these days.

Riding a 14D (or a V5F for that matter) among pedestrians downtown,  again without gear, also cool. Not quite as much. I do this all the time. I'm 6.1 and 240 lbs and dressed for the office so me riding that small wheel is also a bit amusing, but civilians are interested. 

V8 without gear: cool. V8 with full gear: silly.

Riding with full gear at 60kmh is cool, but few people want want to try it. A few do though, and those are the guys who buy big fast wheels. So that's worthwhile, but I don't think this thread is about those people though. 

----

The problem we have to solve is that intuitively, when civilians see a wheeler, they believe that the rider is somehow doing the work that in fact gyroscope is handling. They believe that riding is far harder than it actually is. 

----

For large scale update two things are needed:

- people need to educated to understand that most of the balancing is done by electronics in the wheel, not superhuman skills by the rider; this is a marketing problem

- proper training facilities need to exist; most people will not learn on their own, but will give it a try if there is a proper, trustable training/test ride facility around; this is an infrastructure problem

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, GothamMike said:

The coolest look is making it look easy. 

You nailed it.

As for gear, if it's flattering and you wear it well, it will enhance the appeal.

After seven years of riding, I get the most compliments wearing my TSG Pass helmet and quality gear that matches.

Having a rockin' bod helps also. B)

26 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

Riders who put on a ton of gear and ride at 20kmh an hour look silly, no one wants any part of that. 

Riding without gear at 30kmh on an S-18 is cool, people want to try it. I've parked my Ex and started riding the S-18 the last few weeks and the difference in the reaction I get from the crowd is astounding. That's why I ride the S-18 wherever possible these days.

Riding a 14D (or a V5F for that matter) among pedestrians downtown,  again without gear, also cool. Not quite as much. I do this all the time. I'm 6.1 and 240 lbs and dressed for the office so me riding that small wheel is also a bit amusing, but civilians are interested. 

V8 without gear: cool. V8 with full gear: silly.

Riding with full gear at 60kmh is cool, but few people want want to try it. A few do though, and those are the guys who buy big fast wheels. So that's worthwhile, but I don't think this thread is about those people though. 

----

The problem we have to solve is that intuitively, when civilians see a wheeler, they believe that the rider is somehow doing the work that in fact gyroscope is handling. They believe that riding is far harder than it actually is. 

----

For large scale update two things are needed:

- people need to educated to understand that most of the balancing is done by electronics in the wheel, not superhuman skills by the rider; this is a marketing problem

- proper training facilities need to exist; most people will not learn on their own, but will give it a try if there is a proper, trustable training/test ride facility around; this is an infrastructure problem

I don't think any gear is silly.  In fact that "sillyness" is for those who are not afraid - and no fear = accidents.....  

Besides, riding without gear is sending the wrong signals.

Many people can ride a bicycle, but only few of them are so good at it, that they can handle danger situations well. Mostly they are saved by the luck of having 2 wheels - it's not that easy with a EUC.  And i do not agree;  The balancing done by the wheel is relative simple, and totally dependent on counteraction by the human, whose analog fluid filled ear attached  g-force sensor in cooperation with eyes and every other sensors of pressure, position and movement, processed by the brain, and in split seconds transmitted to muscles for movement in the end is the master controller of what's going on;  stay upright or tumble.