Sherman-S 3600wh: 100V, 20", suspension, 97lb

Yeah, people are always going to either call them "cheep nasty **** crap" or say they are "way too expensive".

There are cheap (and in my opinion actually quite good) options out there for the price sensitive consumer, but for those who want the best the are going to have to pay. Honestly though, even at 4k I still think these wheels actually represent remarkable value (and the lesser wheels even more so).

I kind of have the same opinion with mobile phones...
People say $1000 (or more) is a huge amount to pay for a flagship device but personally I'm actually amazed at what you get for that $1000. Sure a grand (or 4) is a lot of dough to lay down but if you look at what you are buying it is just incredible what you actually get!

Of course if even an entry level device (be it phone or a wheel) isn't worth it to you then, well, I guess you're out of luck but it is worth reflecting, on occasion, just how affordable these devices actually are given what they do: 🤯

Edited by Slartibartfast
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

Yeah, people are always going to either call them "cheep nasty **** crap" or say they are "way too expensive".

Well for me I'm definitely not saying the Sherman S is overpriced because that would only apply if there was an alternative option that was cheaper.

But playing devils advocate, the cells would be no more than £1k, probably around £700. Motor maybe £350. Motherboard say £200. Shell and R&D etc who knows. Such is the price we (well, not me) pay for a niche product.

21 hours ago, Clem604 said:

I'm glad I kept holding off on ordering but I'm going to order now, thanks!

The max is 5000$, so really 200$ more is nothing for a promising suspenion setup on it

Edited by Dreygun

Here's the video showing the top speed mode, no sound though 🤷‍♂️

A 120kmh free spin speed sits with pretty much everything but the V13, and even if you don't ride at the higher available speeds it's very nice knowing the headroom is there from a safety standpoint. I'm well pleased with this development, now I'm even happier I got this wheel.

But the warning sounds like it wasn’t really designed to use that mode regularly. If it is taxing the battery I think it may end up with the same problem as the LG batteries on Begode wheels: dendrite formation then unexpected fires.

I think the "high speed" mode could be useful for my use case.

I just need it for headroom.

What I can't afford is to be in city traffic with a car in front and a car tailgating, and my wheel cutout.

For example, with the Abrams, Kevin got a big pedal dip (very near to a cutout) when he was going at around 45 mph over a bump that he didn't see.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Unicycle Santa said:

Here's the video showing the top speed mode
"PRO: Maximum speed is increased; the current output of the controller is increased.
CON: Burden of the controller will increase; range is shortened."

I smell flux weakening control :) 
Watch your controller temp when sustaining >40mph.

But I don't see a reason "high speed mode" would be any better or worse during low-speed operation. Likely this mode would be OK to leave engaged permanently.
Will be fun to test and confirm.

3 hours ago, Dreygun said:

The max is 5000$, so really 200$ more is nothing for a promising suspenion setup on it

Agreed. I have a bunch of birthday and Christmas Eevees gift cards coming that will help soften the blow 😅

• Like 2

Field weakening has been around. This is how a basic ebike middrive can be set up with a low single gear and now can rev to the moon 40mph plus . High Voltage has been doing this for years now 

Stunting on a Sherman-S? And, of course, no gear.

97 lbs

Aside being over a heavy weight, it ain't cheap either. Don't forget about magnesium alloy parts.

This reminds of the time when Jack ex-kingsong was asked about why he and others were not being tethered to wheels when they were testing wheels climbing a 50 degree hill.

His reply was along the lines that the wheels are factory provided, along with the repairs. The riders don't need to compromise their safety, nor have to pay for the repairs.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, techyiam said:

I think the "high speed" mode could be useful for my use case.

I just need it for headroom.

What I can't afford is to be in city traffic with a car in front and a car tailgating, and my wheel cutout.

For example, with the Abrams, Kevin got a big pedal dip (very near to a cutout) when he was going at around 45 mph over a bump that he didn't see.

Yep this is my plan as well. Having that available headroom for bumps/headwind etc is all I wanted. My main complaint about the wheel was the lower headroom, but now that's been fixed.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

There are cheap (and in my opinion actually quite good) options out there for the price sensitive consumer, but for those who want the best the are going to have to pay. Honestly though, even at 4k I still think these wheels actually represent remarkable value (and the lesser wheels even more so).

I kind of have the same opinion with mobile phones...
People say $1000 (or more) is a huge amount to pay for a flagship device but personally I'm actually amazed at what you get for that $1000. Sure a grand (or 4) is a lot of dough to lay down but if you look at what you are buying it is just incredible what you actually get!

Of course if even an entry level device (be it phone or a wheel) isn't worth it to you then, well, I guess you're out of luck but it is worth reflecting, on occasion, just how affordable these devices actually are given what they do: 🤯

As I've said, when you compare an EUC capabilities to other PEVs with similar specs the prices begin to make a lot more sense. And maybe for me, the price seems high because a) I don't make that much, and b) i hardly spend on big time purchases. I would call 4K a pretty big purchase price for me personally. But I don't disagree with what you say. These are premium niche machines to me, especially the higher end models

Edited by BKW

Yeah whenever someone asks me how much my V11 costs they seem shocked that it's expensive, but then I tell them how fast it goes and how many miles, as well as having a nice big air filled tire, motorcycle grade lighting, and suspension. Then they act like it's a steal for that price.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 11:56 AM, InfiniteWheelie said:

The only downside I see is some additional width. Like you said, the sleeve would need to wrap around the fat part of the fork (and continue downward over the axle/lower suspension mount). However I don't think half an inch or whatever on either side is a deal breaker.

To follow up with my quote above... After getting my Abrams, I've realized that every bit of width is very important. Although I found ways to deal with it, the wheel's width causes ergonomic issues when riding.

After considering this, I think I've come up with a better pedal hanger design (picture below). Since the part only extends downward on the sides, extra width is eliminated. Also, since the legs are a couple inches thick in the most crucial dimension (depth), inward flex is eliminated. This does mean the batteries would need to be placed slightly further away from the suspension, but there's no problem doing this.

pedal hanger.png

Edited by InfiniteWheelie

31 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

That shock is all filled with oil, right?

Theoretically, since it doesn't function as a damper, it could be dry lubed or greased.

But with that oil / dust seal, they could filled it with oil for longer life and less maintenance. 

3 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Theoretically, since it doesn't function as a damper, it could be dry lubed or greased.

But with that oil / dust seal, they could filled it with oil for longer life and less maintenance. 

For some reason I thought it had a "hydraulic" suspension. There has to be some sort of working fluid in there though, must be oil.

8 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

For some reason I thought it had a "hydraulic" suspension. There has to be some sort of working fluid in there though, must be oil.

It is hydraulic, because they are using an oil damper. But they separated the function for each leg. One struct is dedicated as a damper, and the other as a spring. For the struct that contains spring, it should be filled with oil, but it doesn't have to.

• Like 1