I ate shit. Help me understand my latest v12 cutout

Richardo

• Batch 2 wheel
  • Board replaced with a v1 replacement board (not the new improved MOSFET board) (first cutout killed the mosfets, starting from a stopped position)
  • spin tested fine
  • kickstand up, and if there was anything inside the housing of the wheel it was undetectable.
  • Traveling on flat, smooth pavement, riding at maybe 20mph. No changes in acceleration. 
  • Heard what I'd describe as half a beep before it lost power (turned off?)
  • max MOSFET temp 43c/109F
  • battery 80%
  • mosfets fine afterwards, turned back on fine afterwards
  • not fancier, street mode, not split mode

I had a fun hundred milliseconds balancing the no-power wheel at 20mph before I hit the pavement. Wearing a helmet and wrist guards. The wrist guards were abraded and did their job, but I lost considerable skin on my forearms, upper arm, and butt-cheek. My last real crash on the road (on a bicycle) left me in the hospital for two months so I was really stoked to find I only had soft tissue damage and you couldn't even see muscle or bone through the holes. That was a real highlight here, as well as the way good-samaratian drivers immediately used their cars to block the road as I was crawling to the sidewalk, then attempted to minister to me aftewards. Chicago can be pretty fucking nice.

Looking at the graphs, it looks like the type of power-off cutout you'd get from free-spinning the wheel, and there is a mysterious oscillation in the measured speed (on the graphs) right before the problem occurred- but I was not free-spinning it, just the smoothest riding you could imagine.

I had almost regained my faith in this thing after taking it off-road (in dry conditions) and on short trips around the neighborhood. Now I'm pissed and don't want to ride it ever again, even after upgrading the board. My wife has been so stoic and supportive despite her fears about me on wheels, it makes me feel like absolute shit to confront the fact that I have been lying to myself about the safety here while my family depends on me.

icl92YA.pngXM7O2fM.png

Thank God for knockoff Tegaderm.

What causes a cutout like this?

Edited by Richardo
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 8

Sorry @Richardo about this harmful crash, I wish you full recovery.

Your story reminds of a bunch of crashes we read about on the original board, after any amount of distance ridden.
Did you have wheel data recording as CSV in DarknessBot?

It might not be worth analyzing tho, unless the issue is still present the same in the newer firmware version and current board revision. I forgot, did you plan to swap the board later, or did you choose to keep the OG board after it "prove" itself?

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Really baffling how Inmotion comes to have these issues, as the manufacturer with perhaps the best reputation for reliability, safety and build quality. This must have been hugely damaging to their brand image.

Contacting Inmotion.

Member 'Cecily Inmotion' recently posted on Wednesday on another thread.

She is conducting a survey titled:  "Should We Develop a Light-weight EUC in 2023?"

Perhaps queries regarding the cutout could be conveyed to Inmotion directly there.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about that. I hope you’ll get well soon.

There are other people like you riding on the old board. Maybe this should be a wake-up call for them as well. I agree with what @meepmeepmayer said, that think is guaranteed dangerous.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Ouch!

It is a V12 HS, right?

I don't think there is anything to understand. These boards are apparently not reliable, so riding such wheels is a death trap.

Inmotion really f'ed that up!

The original issue is mosfets dying though this case it's still working after the crash so it's something else, not that it's much better.

• Upvote 1

@RichardoSpoken like a kidred spirit that must have been born prior to 1990.

"I was really stoked to find I only had soft tissue damage and you couldn't even see muscle or bone through the holes"

I was gna feel badly for you for a moment, then realized: That tough SOB don't need me feel badly for him, he needs me to applaud that he's a total badas*! :clap3:

A little duct tape, some liquid lightning and a few moments to breathe.... all good!

Edited by ShanesPlanet

On 7/1/2022 at 2:56 AM, mhpr262 said:

Really baffling how Inmotion comes to have these issues, as the manufacturer with perhaps the best reputation for reliability, safety and build quality. This must have been hugely damaging to their brand image.

Yep, I for one swore them off after watching close to a year of these reported issues and this includes their elusive v13, no matter what the specs will be. I consider IM cutoff issues on par with, if not worse than, the Gotway battery fire debacle. I won’t buy an IM wheel until they get their shit together, show they’re serious about rider safety and get this fixed like ASAP instead of worrying about their next wheel roll out. It’s kinda disgusting. Hope you heal soon and if you’re still going to ride EUCs, recommend getting something reliable like a King Song or Begode wheel.

Edited by UtahRider

@Richardo I may suggest highlighting in the thread title that this new cutout is with the old board, which is known to have the defect that lead to your crash since December 2021.

It looks like several recent posts in this thread are reacting like this is a new issue affecting the new replacement "black" board, which is not the case.

I'd still urge every V12 owner to wait until they get the board replaced before riding their wheel.

Regardless of the distance ridden with the old board the risk are the same: unpredictable cutout at any speed, with one or several MOSFET burning or not in the process.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...