Many of us find there's a lot of useful gear to carry with us on our rides whether commuting, exploring or on holidays. What kind of stuff do you pack in your bag or rucksack in regards to riding safety and comfort, preparing for accidents or weather changes and so forth?

Riding or not, I will standard have at least the following:

• first aid kit
  • phone
  • phone charger
  • lighter
  • pocket knife
  • tape
  • headtorch
  • spare lenses
  • tissues
  • water
  • water purification drops
  • rain cover

Mind you, most of this is rarely/not needed in Belgium, they're mostly just the things that I never take out of my rucksack, except for the phone, which is in my pocket.

• Like 2

When commuting in the city I carry

1) a change of eyewear (in the morning I wear bicycle sunglasses, in the evening clear bicycle glasses) and

2) a flashlight [Lumintop B01] that I mount on the EUC during the night. I also have bicycle 4 visibility lights clipped onto the backpack - two in front (blinking white) and two in the back (blinking red)

3) warm vest to be prepared for a cold night ride

4) work stuff - laptop, papers, pen all put into a neoprene sleeve for some protection; also phone and wallet with ID and money

If the EUC fails I can resort to public transport.

When riding outdoors in the wild I carry

0) phone

1) flashlight

2) 0.5l bottle of water

3) a power bank

4) basic survival tools: pocket knife, matches, basic personal medicine

5) some money and ID [just in case since there is little to no civilization]

I don't venture further than 15 km away from base but there is still danger since the place is wild and connectivity (even emergency 911 call) is spotty and typically only present on hill peaks. And I only have a single phone that could fail easily. My prinicipal fears are A) encountering a bear, though unlikely in summer b) breaking a leg and having to crawl back; c) the EUC starting a forest fire I won't be able to stop. 

Edited by yoos
forgot to include phone (which is obvious but still)
  • Like 2

For me my rucksack carries my phone in a canvas case on the left front strap running EUCW permanently and bluetooth to my JBL Flip which is strapped to the bottom of the rucksack.

Inside is a 4x18650 power bank which keeps my phone running all day (BT music kills the battery life), the lead of which runs out the top of the bag, over the shoulder and into the phone.

Also inside is a decent, small bicycle pump and a rubber extension piece to access the valve easily, my 6A charger (nearly always) and a well stocked but small medikit.

I used to also carry the minimum tools required to get an innertube patched when I had my MSX as it was pretty easy to strip roadside. But since I got my Sherman it's a fair bit of hassle so don't carry the gear now. I do have slime but a quick puncture could really leave me stranded, not to mention an expensive cab ride.

I also keep two small clip on bicycle LED flashing lights (white and red) but rarely use them as I have very visible LED's on the Sherman. Some vape juice, my debit card and an 'emergency' £10 in cash in case someone doesn't take cards lol.

Thats about it, leaving me space to chuck in a sweater which for most rides I need, given we start early and often come back late at night.

Edit: oh and also one of those EUC 'rain caps' cos it's light and small. Never needed to use it yet (in 3 years) but theres always a possibility lol.

Edited by Planemo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Planemo said:

very visible LED's on the Sherman

I find that it is insufficient to only have lights on the EUC as it is too low and easily blocked by obstacles and especially cars when in a city. Having light sources both on EUC and body or head conveys a better notion of size and distance of you as a traffic participant than EUC lights alone (which, e.g. can be mistaken for a distant bicycle)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Dam guys, you all ride naked??? :whistling:

Only thing i take with me are:

Clothes that i wear. And phone, keys in my pocket. 

Work days add backpack, my launch, wallet and rain cover for my euc. (Simple backpack cover against rain - works very well on euc.)

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

My carry bag has by and large has enough stuff for me to limp me back to civilization should something go sideways. Depending on where I'm riding, I don't always carry the bag.

• compact tire pump
  • water bladder
  • multihead screwdriver
  • allen set
  • travel sized slime bottle
  • tire patches
  • flashlight
  • mini powerbank
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, yoos said:

I find that it is insufficient to only have lights on the EUC as it is too low and easily blocked by obstacles and especially cars when in a city. Having light sources both on EUC and body or head conveys a better notion of size and distance of you as a traffic participant than EUC lights alone (which, e.g. can be mistaken for a distant bicycle)

I get that but I don't really ride cities. And even rarer that I right at night in the first place.

I usually don't carry a backpack unless I'm commuting, so I travel pretty light—this goes on my person:

• Android for EUCWorld
  • iPhone for emergencies and 'proper' video
  • First Aid kit (band aids mostly, lots of them!)
  • Maybe a small bottle of water (or Gatorade)
  • Plastic shopping bag for the wheel (only when rain is expected)
  • A couple of energy bars (I should eat them pretty soon, they're probably smashed)
  • Small wallet (sometimes)
  • Lights stuck to my arms and helmet
  • Flashlight clipped to the Roll.nz
  • Charging cable (never used, I should ditch it)
  • GoPro on helmet or clipped to my chest protector (new addition, birthday present!)
  • Paper towels (nose wipes)

If I do carry a pack in town it adds a bunch of weight so it's a rare event. My pack is a lightweight 25l RidersBag, super reflective

• Compact tire pump (tires filled with RideOn, so no repair kit—a field strip isn't really possible anyway)
  • A strap for carrying my helmet if I'm going to be indoors
  • Stupid cheap bike lock (if planning to park the wheel)
  • Selfie stick and batteries for the GoPro
  • More water and food
  • Laptop and 1 A wheel charger if I'm going to work

Off roading adds more junk

• Length of paracord
  • Bear bells (big jingle bells I carry in my hand and shake)
  • Whistle
  • Bear spray
  • Pocket multitool
  • Compass
  • Tape (small amount)
  • Even more candy bars ('energy bars') and water filter
  • Clothing layer depending on the season
  • Tether and belt if the ride plan calls for it
Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

Personal locator beacon might be useful if riding in the wilderness, snow, mountains etc.

Breaking a leg away from cell phone service might be lethal.

For occasions outside of EUC riding as well.

https://www.amazon.com/McMurdo-Fast-Find-220-PLB/dp/B008OPJGBC/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=personal+locator+beacon&qid=1654705685&sr=8-9

McMurdo FAST FIND 220 Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) (45016)

Price:  

$265.47

61A9NotLsGL._AC_SL1484_.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Breaking a leg away from cell phone service might be lethal.

That's where the one-legged riding skill would really shine!

It's funny to have a "test" button on an emergency device :): If pressed, a helicopter will arrive, wave at you then fly away. 

I was hoping I could persuade my brother to accompany me every time [though my second wheel has little range], that would be enough insurance for 15km rides: the area in question is strewn with lakes, swamps, trails and villages (most consisting of 5-20 houses), but many of the villages are abandoned and dead. Last time I suddenly came upon an uncharted cemetery atop a hill in the middle of the pine forest, encircled with boulders.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yoos said:

I was hoping I could persuade my brother to accompany me every time [though my second wheel has little range], that would be enough insurance for 15km rides

Marty had a video of a ride up in the Californian mountains with a friend, on a really hot day.

The friend was low on battery, so they decided to separate, with Marty pressing ahead.

Marty was overcome by heat, had to call for help, was in a lot of distress.

Lots of scenarios where the unexpected can happen.

Breakdown, malfunction, crash, irreparable flat, snakebite, lost, break a leg, go over the edge, no phone coverage, fall on phone and break it, animal attack, fall and burst plastic water bottles, trail blocked by rock slide/fallen tree, medical emergency etc.. Bush walkers get lost and die.

Exploring Saddleback Mountain - Adventure Series

Premiered Sep 22, 2020
AKedOLQBOYRhllUDTs7SIDQIzqyHr2kKUTUajpfL

8.61K subscribers

Join Chris and me as we explore a new mountain location for EUC rides.

Things do not go as planned.

• Like 1