Concept: Adaptive Safety Margin and Speed Limit

What a delightfully ambitious suggestion! Not surprised that it came from you though. :cheers:

The part that concerns me is the suddenly changing speed limit, and hence a tilt-back threshold that changes rapidly. They need to be careful with the implementation not to make the tilt-back start suddenly in an environment where keeping balance is already challenging.

Currently the implementation of the tilt-back has seemed to be such that it’s intensity depends on how far beyond the threshold you’re at. An instantly changing threshold would make the tilt-back too violent unless there’s a careful specific condition for the tilt-back that’s stated by the variable limiter.

How much do you think the speed threshold should decrease when the bad surface detector is at it’s maximum?

• Like 3

Not sure what to think about. Some can ride without falling and when they detect possibly hard terrain, they slow on their own. (edit. The solution here in terms of cars was that people were trained and granted with a licence to drive car. If they mess stuff up the licence were taken away, easy solutions.)
Do we always need algorythms and software solutions, well generally speaking, automated cars are safer at the moment than those driven by the "average" human. But in general safety improvement is a good thing for sure.
Could over engineer solution cause new found problems? Yes.

I will leave this robot piano video that catches fire to think about. Worth the watch when thinking of "what could go wrong".

edit2. Also the frequency and data would be somewhat related to analyze the data to make your solution work. But the best solution could scan the road infront and  also light it so you get good data. Again would need signal prosessing right? 6:21 in the video. Just the EUC are not equipped with such. 
Maybe you could indeed detect type of road and limit the max speed just by analysing and limiting the next 2-5s of ride performance. Sounds very interesting project.

edit3. I still think this will not stop Chooch from falling. But I love to be wrong and get positive surprise out of these kind of projects!

Edited by Tasku
edit
  • Like 3

Then again, i bet most of us don't ride at max allowed speeds? Right? Right? If wheel goes 40 you don't ride 40.. Ride 35 max. <(Random numbers..)

And most of us would not be riding at max speed, on bumpy roads.. Use the brain, or eat dirt.

EUC's should have 30% or even more safety margin. If you ride 40 (this case it's max speed) euc wont allow go faster. But in reality max speed that euc could do, would be around 60+ I wonder how big "safety" margins we got anyways?

I especially don't ride my 18xl faster than 40kph.. Because i know it's "max" speed is 50ish.. And i don't wanna feel pedal tilt back. Even if i would ride it's max speed 50kph, i wonder how safe it would be? Even on flat straight road.. On dirt roads with lose gravel/bumps i'm riding like a snail ~15-20kph. :D And i don't want a kiss from the ground.

Btw amazing post. I'm also all for safety. I bet no one wants to eat dirt. :D 

To me euc are magic wheel, that rides on dreams/hopes. And if i cross some threshold, those dreams/hopes can pop like a balloon and everything goes to hell. < So better not to cross them. :efef8189d7:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

The piano didn’t actually catch fire, and it was just a smoke machine used to make a joke… But I do appreciate the thought. The feature can be made badly.

I would also say that an inhibiting fear of a badly implemented new feature is a sure way to prevent all advancement in tech.

Well I think, that just by analysing the signal data we could maybe even give suggestion on tire pressure. Too high or too low. But then again, just by changing out of stock tyre.. and here we go again :whistling:

I tend to weight good and bad. Often if you leave thought on the side of danger can make others think that was the final word. Not the case. I think this idea shows potential too.

I also think that analysing the "signal" data and profiling could help improve safety. This could indeed be a good feature and improvement. I just try to say that I am not as far into this as Mr. @supercurio is.

The best part of the video was the signal analysis that I assume would one way or another be the process that determs the profile that you can safely use. Other than that the video is what it is, a sidetrack.

(edit: Bit confused if this would be app of it's own or addon possibility? Would be nice if this solution would work within the one bluetooth connection.. could it work it EUC world, as addon maybe=?)

EUC world has "safety margin" but I assume this data analysis is to one day have somewhat similar function. Maybe you could talk to @Sebawhat his plans are with it? 

Edited by Tasku
edit
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

How about use your GPS coordinates to look up the vibration data from other riders and cripple or unleash your wheel in advance? It wouldn't know the line you're going to choose but it might have a general idea.

I'm not saying this is a terrible idea, because it has a lot of merit. And I prefer to buy wheels that do look after my safety rather just say "here's a gun, go shoot it". Something like this could be a great addition.

Nevertheless, and it could be that it's because my roots are in hardware and my present is in software (yes, I'm a hardware dweeb, gone soft)... but

I. don't. want. any. more. software. in. my. wheels.

Particularly "smart" software, that was trained on an inherently incomplete and a priori not-representative-enough dataset. Software is very tricky stuff—as it gets more complicated and less deterministic, it rapidly becomes impossible to test. I mean, it's not a slam dunk to even get a power-up sequence right—something you didn't expect (and probably couldn't test anyway) happens and a hardware issue cascades into a software issue that exposes another software issue in the power-up sequence that turns into one of the most awe inspiring 4k videos we've seen in a long time.

When you ride a 16" wheel with a rock hard tire on an imperfect surface near its specified performance limit, why are you disappointed when you eat it? (and what does the manual say is max safe speed on a V12HT?) Seems to me that the wetware*** needs to play a larger role than either the hardware or the software... because when the wetware fails and an ill advised decision is the result, there's nothing the smartest AI in the world can do about it. Short of figuring out that the rider is an actual safety hazard and screaming "no forking way I'm going anywhere, the operator is clueless" the next time they (try to) power it up. Biometrics baby, we know how to do that.

And a gentle reminder. We pretty regularly pillory KS for crippling their wheels in software, designate them as weak and slow and undertorqued. How happy will we be when the wheel decides the trail is too bumpy to go faster than 10 kph? Or refuses to accelerate because we just went through a bunch of patches in the asphalt or dropped off a curb... or haven't gone 2 meters yet? You get three guesses. And you already know the first two don't count.

I think I could live with giving me, the operator, a choice of 'terrains' and set fixed operating parameters from there (ack. sounds like FM). Forest road? Single track (green/blue/black—up or down) Freshly paved street? Fairly smooth dirt road with a few oddball dips and bumps? NYC so-called-paved-street? Cobblestones? Rock garden? I'm not sure what the differences in parameters would be...

Even that won't work 100% though. Wetware knows how to lie to the wheel.

Sure, someday the wheel might identify the terrain for me on the fly and do a bang up job—but how much more safety critical software do you really want in your wheel?

***wetware: n. completely made up word that I didn't make up (but wish I did). generally refers to the jelloy stuff protected by your helmet

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Tasku said:

I tend to weight good and bad. Often if you leave thought on the side of danger can make others think that was the final word. Not the case. I think this idea shows potential too.

I also think that analysing the "signal" data and profiling could help improve safety. This could indeed be a good feature and improvement. I just try to say that I am not as far into this as Mr. @supercurio is.

I hear you. :cheers:

9 hours ago, Tasku said:

(edit: Bit confused if this would be app of it's own or addon possibility? Would be nice if this solution would work within the one bluetooth connection.. could it work it EUC world, as addon maybe=?)

EUC world has "safety margin" but I assume this data analysis is to one day have somewhat similar function. Maybe you could talk to @Sebawhat his plans are with it?

The current firmware on all wheels deny any changes to the speed limits while riding. So a phone app can’t do what is being suggested. It can be a firmware feature only. Luckily Inmotion got interested in this right away!

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

How happy will we be when the wheel decides the trail is too bumpy to go faster than 10 kph? Or refuses to accelerate because we just went through a bunch of patches in the asphalt or dropped off a curb...

The limits must of course be sensible. I would think that it wouldn’t decrease the top speed to below 20mph under any circumstances. Maybe even higher than that.

But jumping down a curb at speed is a valid concern. Although… what’s the highest speed anyone would do that?

• Like 1

Nice write up Francis!

I doubt they'll be able to implement something as sophisticated as your suggestion, but maybe something good will come out of this!

The stm32 micro-controller that Begode (and Inmotion I think) uses has specs in the realm of 72mhz, 64-128kb of flash storage, 20kb ram etc.

Kingsgong uses gd32 micro-controllers which are drop-in replacements for stm32s with more performance afaik and I remember Enaon saying that while the wheel is moving, the CPU is 60% utilized. (not confirmed).

I'm in the process of adding dynamic tiltback in Begode wheels myself, but in a more basic form.

I have validated already that I can dynamically adjust the tiltback speed while moving. (from within firmware, because you can not send bluetooth commands while moving as MrElwood mentioned)

I can already change the PWM alarm, so the the only thing missing is tying tiltback speed and PWM together.

I was thinking something along the lines of: When PWM exceeds 70%, set tiltback to the current speed, and clear it when under 70%.

Of course it will need some tuning to ensure it is not jerky.

Edited by Freestyler
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Freestyler said:

Of course it will need some tuning to ensure it is not jerky

A new era of custom firmware is upon us, as long as it is safe and not exploited by removing all limits by some Neanderthals. :-/ 

You all know the negative results :'( 

• Like 1