Best King Song Option for Newbie

Hi everyone!!! After been an e-scooter user I decide to give a try to the EUC world and I have been doing my research for more than 10 days on YouTube and reading the recommendations on this forum .

This would be my first euc , I live on Cayman island it’s a small island and basically I need to commute to my work that is 3km away from my home so long distance isn’t my everyday route, btw my weight is 70kg (154 lb) and 1.65cm

After all the research I came to this finalists:

-KS 16X ~( 2089$ ) in all web pages are out of stock until April .

-KS 16XS ~ ( 1550$) the only difference between this and the regular 16X is this one battery ( 777 Wh agains 1554Wh).

All comments on this model are that highly maneuverable.

-KS 18XL ~ ( 2050$) this one it’s also a beast. So I far I read it good to cover long distances a little bit less maneuverable than the 16X but a good all the way around wheel.

-KS S18 ~ ( 1999$) this one receive a lot of hate and love from others , everyone says it’s good for off-road but due to the small battery isn’t the best one to long distance but really smooth on the ride .Taking in consideration that my work is only 3km far means everyday I will cover only 6km so about the distance Isn’t a problem, I also found a YouTube channel that mainly focus on dissemble euc’s and test the reliability and quality of construction showing that this EUC is cheap to maintenance and easy to dissembling bc the suspension is assembled separate from the motherboard and this makes me doubt bc here on island there’s not even 1 rider of euc so by the time I have to changue the wheel I will have to open the EUC .

I know KS put a limited speed on theirs wheel and this specific 3 aren’t the faster out there but been my first wheel I don’t think I need the fastest one ,plus also this one’s has another limiter to 20kmp that will unlock 30kmp+ when you reach 125km of travel.

I hope most experienced user can give and advice and sorry if my post it’s too long but I wanted to describe better my situation. :confused1:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

What makes you focus on KingSong? At the prices you're considering you have options from all manufacturers. Not saying Kingsong is a bad choice! 

Aside from that, if the KS S18 is attractive to you, I recommend you look for used ones on the EUC Facebook group and in this forum's used wheel section. I've seen some fantastic used deals on the s18.

If you're willing to spend $2k, and open to other manufacturers, I'd recommend looking for the best used deal you can get on either the 16x, the s18, the gotway Begode nikola+, or the inmotion v11. They're all great wheels and you'll have plenty of room to grow with them if you like the experience. 

Edited by Richardo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Since you don't have very far to go at all you probably don't need a wheel with a large battery or the ability to go super fast and that opens basically everything for consideration! Since your access to service and parts is limited, I'd be looking for a wheel that is known to be very reliable and easy to fix… which is almost anything introduced prior to 2020. The S18 isn't one of the wheels that I'd put into the easy-to-fix category. But if you look at smaller KS/IM/Ninebot offerings, you should be able to find something that suits your needs and won't sit idle waiting for parts.

• Like 1

I'd go Kingsong 14D, then Inmotion V8F/S and then Kingsong 16x. For your needs, the Kingsong 14D fits the bill and it's very lightweight and portable. V8 series is the best all-rounder. Kingsong 16x is heavy, but it's a FUN wheel to ride if you don't mind the weight.

Depends if you only using it for commuting 3kms, the 16x is overkill. But it I could only get one wheel it would be the 16x.

I'm buying an Inmotion V8S once I sell my V10F.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To be honest, you would probably be fine with a Ninebot One E+ for $2-300. The 14" Ninebot One S2 is also worth considering if you can find a good deal (I think $4-500 new is about right). Both have a range of 10-15 miles depending on weight, speed and terrain. Given your specs, both wheels have more than sufficient power. Both also look great and are nearly indestructible. The only major downsides for these older Ninebots are max speed at 13-15mph (can be hacked to 18-20) and lack of manufacturer support. No worries, however, you can still find parts, and they are the simplest wheels to maintain, mod and keep going.

I'd be happy to bring my wheel for in-person demo and lessons in exchange for a place to stay :D

Also consider a new or used v8 (or even V5) model as @Mango stated.

Kingsongs are nice, too, but cost more.

Edited by litewave

16x & 18xl < Flip a coin.

18xl more street friendly.. 

16x more fun off road..

Both almost the same. Which you want more?

I also where looking at 16x/18xl as my first wheel. I ended up going with 18xl, as i need to carry it daily.. I liked the handle on 18xl more than 16x. Because 16x has "square angled" handle, it did not feel so good in hand. Felt awkward..

At the end i added Hextech pedals and K66 80/80-14 tire. <3 Love it.

16x should have more torque and would feel more "zippy". 18xl is more laid back cruising.

Still 10x more fun riding than "e-scooter" (Makes my vomit) :barf:

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

Take a look at ks16s v2. My dad weights the same as you and he uses it for job riding. (Rain/Snow/Storm.. everyday he rides it) Great daily wheel. It goes 22mph (35kph) doh.. I mainly went with 16x/18xl because of my weight. And also for safety, if i would ride 30kph speed on ks16s it could cutout because of mine weight.

Edited by Funky
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, litewave said:

To be honest, you would probably be fine with a Ninebot One E+ for $2-300. The 14" Ninebot One S2 is also worth considering if you can find a good deal (I think $4-500 new is about right). Both have a range of 10-15 miles depending on weight, speed and terrain. Given your specs, both wheels have more than sufficient power. Both also look great and are nearly indestructible. The only major downsides for these older Ninebots are max speed at 13-15mph (can be hacked to 18-20) and lack of manufacturer support. No worries, however, you can still find parts, and they are the simplest wheels to maintain, mod and keep going.

I'd be happy to bring my wheel for in-person demo and lessons in exchange for a place to stay :D

Actual range of s1/s2 is closer to 7-8 miles - these low end 9bot machines have very limited range. S1/s2 also has a convex shell which can be uncomfortable on the ankles for a new rider (or anytime you trying to jump up etc. IMO better off starting with an IM V8 as intro wheel (can buy used @ 500ish) - better speed & range. Other than the z10 9bot wheels are pretty lame and you will very quickly outgrow... KS 16x is a great wheel and you will no doubt end up wanting a wheel with a 3 inch tire so really why not start there? If you climb stairs when going to work one thing is that 3 inch tire wheels (or larger wheels) are a pita to lug up and down stairs. Having a lightweight wheel is good for that but once you ride a solid 3inch wheel you will hardly want to ride anything else - v8, ks14d, s1, ks16s - these will all feel like toys in comparison to KS16x or GWMSX etc...

Edited by redsnapper
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I had a similar commute that worked out just fine with a KS14D; but I needed a 4p (4 battery pack) setup to accommodate my weight. So, I switched to a KS16S (which is just a bit larger) and I still use this for short commutes to this day. (V8 is slightly larger than a 16S, but also a good choice for a beginner wheel.)

The 16X & 18XL are both fine wheels that can take you places and be enjoyed for a long time. (Still love my 18XL for longer rides.)

As for the S18, it's 3p setup is fine for your weight and still provides decent range. A good alternative to either of the above wheels in terms of overall comfort and off-road performance; (but may prove more difficult to maintain).

Frankly, the whole Kingsong lineup should suffice for the requirements you've stated so far. Most people outgrow their first wheel very quickly; so, when you say you don't need much speed, range, or off-road ability, it's assumed you're going to quickly change your position on one or all three of these.

Edited by RayRay
  • Like 1

Im an 18XL fanboi all the way. My first wheel was an 18L and I still ride my 18XL just as much as my others. Its not a wheel to outgrow, its just a damn fine wheel. Im 6'3" 130lbs btw. However, you really don't need that kind of range for what you describe. Weight is weight and $$ is money. If you want a wheel for primarily those short rides and are pincihng pennies, go with the 16s. Even once you realize you MAY want to take long trips or go faster, the 16s would still come in handy for your original commute needs. Even tho I swear by KS, this only applies to pre s18 models. If you arent interested in rolling the dice or tinkering, dont go for ANY of the newest wheels from ANYONE.

Tbh, your stated demands are so little, you could probably get by with a ninebot or something similar.  I went for an 18L(used), as it just seemed a good format for my rural street type rides, and I didnt want to have to concern myself with range worries or carrying/storage issues. Sometimes a 2mile ride, somehow ends up being a 22mile ride all a sudden. I since upgraded to the 18XL for a simple matter of MORE range and headroom. Its all compromises in weight tho. If you are going to HAVE to carry the wheel a lot or store it in a small space, these considerations change the game. At the end of the day, you may also find yourself being a multiple wheel owner. Its best to not think about it in terms of which wheel is 'best'. You may need to try and narrow down EXACTLY what you expect from a wheel, and what you may expect in the near future. THEN choose, depending on those needs. Like others mentioned, you can't really go wrong with the proven KS lineup. You are also paying a lot, no matter what. Now is not the time to compromise over a few dollars. I'd put cost at the END of the list and focus more on details like how to store it and where you intend to primarily ride on what surfaces.

Just a heads-up. I dont think the 16x like to maintain 24+mph as safely as the 18xl. A lot of people dont ride that fast anyhow, but even more people say they wont and then pass it right by. I too once said I never would need go faster than 25mph. Well, I was mistaken and 40mph is my new 25mph:roflmao:. I'm not even a speed freak anymore, I sold my fast toys.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Just a heads-up. I dont think the 16x like to maintain 24+mph as safely as the 18xl. A lot of people dont ride that fast anyhow, but even more people say they wont and then pass it right by. I too once said I never would need go faster than 25mph. Well, I was mistaken and 40mph is my new 25mph:roflmao:. I'm not even a speed freak anymore, I sold my fast toys.

I'm guessing you probably mean motorcycles or motorcross but you have a VETERAN SHERMAN! ;) Just a little jealous as an 18xl owner.

To the op, I like the 18xl way more than the 16x - I'd say the 18s would be awesome but apparently starting with a suspension wheel isn't ideal for developing good riding habits. Probably any wheel you just you'll be happy with but the 18xl can "safely" go in the high 20's (technically 31 ofc) so you could grow into it and it's fantastic if you ever need to go on a longer trip than to work. You could probably charge it once per month or something insane with your commute length. 

• Thanks 1

@Oshintao do you live on Grand Caymen or one of the smaller islands? I ask because while I knew the Caymens were small, I didn't appreciate just how small they actually are. The islands look like a place where absolutely everyone should be on an EUC! Either way, if you get something with a 1500 Wh battery, you certainly won't need to charge very often.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

@Oshintao do you live on Grand Caymen or one of the smaller islands? I ask because while I knew the Caymens were small, I didn't appreciate just how small they actually are. The islands look like a place where absolutely everyone should be on an EUC! Either way, if you get something with a 1500 Wh battery, you certainly won't need to charge very often.

18xl > My trip daily is ~3miles(5km). I charge at 40% battery level normally. I need to do it once a week, once 2 weeks if no "fun" rides.

For your needs ks16s would be better.. Ofc if you need more speed get bigger euc then. I'm fine going 30kph, no need more speed here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RamonatheCat said:

I'm guessing you probably mean motorcycles or motorcross but you have a VETERAN SHERMAN! ;) Just a little jealous as an 18xl owner.

To the op, I like the 18xl way more than the 16x - I'd say the 18s would be awesome but apparently starting with a suspension wheel isn't ideal for developing good riding habits. Probably any wheel you just you'll be happy with but the 18xl can "safely" go in the high 20's (technically 31 ofc) so you could grow into it and it's fantastic if you ever need to go on a longer trip than to work. You could probably charge it once per month or something insane with your commute length. 

Yeah, I'm down to one lowly slow motorcycle nowadays. The sherman is fast for an euc, but 50mph is just a glide in compare to some vehicles.

fwiw.  "technically" the top speed of those older KS wheels is 27mph or so. The 31mph reported is overstated, just like most euc specs. You know, like REAL battery cap, distance and speed specs are somehow askew and always in a beneficial direction for sales.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I too once said I never would need go faster than 25mph. Well, I was mistaken and 40mph is my new 25mph:roflmao:. I'm not even a speed freak anymore, I sold my fast toys.

Says 25mph isn't "fast" for such small device.. On regular bike my speed is ~25kph vs your measly 25mph. :P 40mph - even cars aren't allowed to go at that speed in city or so.. :D 

Yet we got euc with more speed. 25mph is plenty and you won't change my mind :P  

Won't lie, 31mph is great. As i don't have to worry about cutout, because of riding close to speed limit, also having not to feel tilt back ever is awesome. :efef2e0fff:

Edited by Funky
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Richardo said:

What makes you focus on KingSong? At the prices you're considering you have options from all manufacturers. Not saying Kingsong is a bad choice!

If you're willing to spend $2k, and open to other manufacturers, I'd recommend looking for the best used deal you can get on either the 16x, the s18, the gotway Begode nikola+, or the inmotion v11. They're all great wheels and you'll have plenty of room to grow with them if you like the experience. 

Hi!! Uhm I think basically I focused on KS wheels bc I have read a common conclusion of all users : reliability and quality on construction.

The nikola+ I discard bc the quality of assembly, the Inmotion v11 I put not in consideration Bc Wrong Way! (Adam) and ElectricUnycicle both were agree that at the end of the day they don’t use any Inmotion wheel, that’s why basically I focused on KS wheels.

What Tawpie writte here is true I’m gonna be really limited on service and parts.

12 hours ago, Tawpie said:

Since you don't have very far to go at all you probably don't need a wheel with a large battery or the ability to go super fast and that opens basically everything for consideration! Since your access to service and parts is limited, I'd be looking for a wheel that is known to be very reliable and easy to fix… which is almost anything introduced prior to 2020.

Edited by Oshintao
Confussion on quote
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, litewave said:

The ninebot are discard bc are very basic wheel , and I prefer to bring here to the island a EUC that I can use for a long term , bc I will use a company that import you whatever you want here from USA , and I will pay that service plus the clearance on border control.

I don’t want to buy a basic wheel and after a few month regret it and buy another one.

”buy smart or buy twice “

9 hours ago, Funky said:

Take a look at ks16s v2. My dad weights the same as you and he uses it for job riding. (Rain/Snow/Storm.. everyday he rides it) Great daily wheel. It goes 22mph (35kph) doh.. I mainly went with 16x/18xl because of my weight. And also for safety, if i would ride 30kph speed on ks16s it could cutout because of mine weight.

that’s an interesting option bc the KS16x/Xs are out of stock at this very moment

9 hours ago, redsnapper said:

Actual range of s1/s2 is closer to 7-8 miles - these low end 9bot machines have very limited range. S1/s2 also has a convex shell which can be uncomfortable on the ankles for a new rider (or anytime you trying to jump up etc. IMO better off starting with an IM V8 as intro wheel (can buy used @ 500ish) - better speed & range. Other than the z10 9bot wheels are pretty lame and you will very quickly outgrow... KS 16x is a great wheel and you will no doubt end up wanting a wheel with a 3 inch tire so really why not start there? If you climb stairs when going to work one thing is that 3 inch tire wheels (or larger wheels) are a pita to lug up and down stairs. Having a lightweight wheel is good for that but once you ride a solid 3inch wheel you will hardly want to ride anything else - v8, ks14d, s1, ks16s - these will all feel like toys in comparison to KS16x or GWMSX etc...

To my work actually is all flat , I realize today that I only commute 2km to my work .

9 minutes ago, Oshintao said:

To my work actually is all flat , I realize today that I only commute 2km to my work .

2km level ground? Umm... walk!  :facepalm:

It sounds to me like the 2km range is not really applicable. You wont outgrow even a small wheel, if your ride is simply 2km each way. Perhaps you are trying to declare your current intent WHILE suggesting you'll grow into needing more from it soon. Honestly, 2km ride is hardly worth putting any gear on for. 2km is not your purpose on the wheel, or you wouldnt be wondering about longer term needs.

Because getting a wheel is costly for you. Go with one of the bigger battery models. If you dont plan on a small increase in storage size to be a problem, just buy an 18XL and call it a done deal for the next 5+ years :)   Yeah, 2km my ass! Once a nice day comes and you know how to ride, 2km will easily become 40km...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RayRay said:

I had a similar commute that worked out just fine with a KS14D; but I needed a 4p (4 battery pack) setup to accommodate my weight. So, I switched to a KS16S (which is just a bit larger) and I still use this for short commutes to this day. (V8 is slightly larger than a 16S, but also a good choice for a beginner wheel.)

The 16X & 18XL are both fine wheels that can take you places and be enjoyed for a long time. (Still love my 18XL for longer rides.)

As for the S18, it's 3p setup is fine for your weight and still provides decent range. A good alternative to either of the above wheels in terms of overall comfort and off-road performance; (but may prove more difficult to maintain).

Frankly, the whole Kingsong lineup should suffice for the requirements you've stated so far. Most people outgrow their first wheel very quickly; so, when you say you don't need much speed, range, or off-road ability, it's assumed you're going to quickly change your position on one or all three of these.

I’m starting to realize that the 18XL its not a good idea ! I knew that posting here will help me a lot with the opinions and experience of all of you guys! 😁

11 hours ago, Tawpie said:

I do live on Grand Cayman (but I’m not caymanian) for the EUC viewer I think yeah but everyone has a car , including myself I drive to my work and it only takes me like 3 to 4 minutes reach my work place but what it’s making decide for and EUC is that I won’t have to deal looking for a parking slot.

7 hours ago, RayRay said:

@Oshintao Apparently, your post is vague enough to elicit opinions from anyone who's ever ridden a Kingsong. A $2K budget will get you any of the larger KS wheels (minus the behemoth S20), but your inclusion of the KS16XS suggests you'd also appreciate saving a few $$$. (Leading to lots of assumptions and varying suggestions.)

If you stick to your budget (and with Kingsong), then pick between the S18/16X/18XL based on your gut. Otherwise, I suggest you avoid the 16XS in favor of a 16S. (Removing half the battery packs on a large, performance wheel is a bad idea.)

Yup so true , if I took on consideration the 16XS it’s bc I’m not only gonna drop 2k $ on the wheel the import and clearance probably will be around another 600$.

For all the suggestions I’m discarding the s18, 18XL .

4 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

2km level ground? Umm... walk!  :facepalm:

It sounds to me like the 2km range is not really applicable. You wont outgrow even a small wheel, if your ride is simply 2km each way. Perhaps you are trying to declare your current intent WHILE suggesting you'll grow into needing more from it soon. Honestly, 2km ride is hardly worth putting any gear on for. 2km is not your purpose on the wheel, or you wouldnt be wondering about longer term needs.

Because getting a wheel is costly for you. Go with one of the bigger battery models. If you dont plan on a small increase in storage size to be a problem, just buy an 18XL and call it a done deal for the next 5+ years :)   Yeah, 2km my ass! Once a nice day comes and you know how to ride, 2km will easily become 40km...

Ahahahaha 😅 it’s a hot weather and sunny all year impossible to walk for 3 minutes and not being sweating , and look the beach that basically it’s in front of the avenue.

Yup so true, I was thinking to get a EUC that last long for a few years , bc for what I read it’s like an addiction and you want more and more ( so a really duper basic wheel will be suitable for only a few weeks ) and of course I can ride at night just for fun/enjoy.

I hope like you said those 2km become 40km …

Thanks a lot folks for been so comprehensive with me and I’m taking in consideration all advices!!!! 

Happy weekend!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Oshintao said:

it’s a small island and basically I need to commute to my work that is 3km away from my home so long distance isn’t my everyday route

What’s the longest distance you can go to work? That’s the range you need because once you start riding to work, even that “excuse” won’t be enough :)

I got a V8S specifically to ride to work on a bus (30 mi each way). I chose it to carry my enormous weight and still fit under the bus seat and not irritate the other travelers. Now the 2.5 mi trip from the bus to work seems too short and I keep looking for another route. 

Also, you will find other excuses: carry-out, groceries, Saturdays. All this to say you may want the extra speed and range. I’ve only had the V8S so I don’t know how much more awkward the 16x or 18xl would be on transit. I would not want to take a s16 on my bus. I’m looking for a second wheel now now for all my “other” riding :) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Honestly, 2km ride is hardly worth putting any gear on for. 2km is not your purpose on the wheel, or you wouldnt be wondering about longer term needs.

Yeah, 2km my ass! Once a nice day comes and you know how to ride, 2km will easily become 40km...

22 minutes ago, agranner said:

What’s the longest distance you can go to work? That’s the range you need because once you start riding to work, even that “excuse” won’t be enough :)

Meh.. To my euc is the same as bike, today it's beautiful sunny day and i'm siting here and not riding.. Simple device taking me from A to B. Nothing "special". :P 

Yeah same as mine ride ~5km. I would only take wrist guards.. Nothing else. (True people riding, so i can't go "fast")

Edited by Funky

6 minutes ago, Funky said:

Meh.. To my euc is the same as bike, today it's beautiful sunny day and i'm siting here and not riding.. Simple device taking me from A to B. Nothing "special". :P 

Yeah same as mine ride ~5km. I would only take wrist guards.. Nothing else. (True people riding, so i can't go "fast")

Yuuup, I think it’s gonna be similar to the scooter , looking any excuse to used instead taking my car ,,, for example just to go and grab a Subway sandwich at midnight.. like someone else said “excuses are endless “