Best King Song Option for Newbie

40 minutes ago, agranner said:

I’ve only had the V8S so I don’t know how much more awkward the 16x or 18xl would be on transit. I would not want to take a s16 on my bus. 

Difficult to know which wheel you're talking about with the S16 - the 16S is only slightly heavier than your V8S but it has a slightly larger battery and a more powerful motor.  

6 hours ago, Oshintao said:

The nikola+ I discard bc the quality of assembly

I have a Nikola+ and I'd say the assembly is excellent. What specifically do you think is poorly assembled? 

5 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

2km level ground? Umm... walk!  :facepalm:

Yep, I'd kind of agree with that. 

21 minutes ago, Oshintao said:

Yuuup, I think it’s gonna be similar to the scooter , looking any excuse to used instead taking my car ,,, for example just to go and grab a Subway sandwich at midnight.. like someone else said “excuses are endless “

Well on scooter you can't get a sudden face plant on ground :P If euc stops working: Surprise kiss from the ground. <3

Edited by Funky

I have been to grand cayman on a cruise and there are some wild places to visit on EUC and terrible traffic backups on the main rd of St G (we ran into a very cool security guard on the beach and he offered to take us around to see some sites and we played it close getting back to the ship and the traffic was so bad we had to  jump out and run like the wind to catch the last tender)! An EUC with range would be an asset if you wanna explore. The whole island is only about 50KM from tip to tip putting many cool places within reach of a decent EUC. However are you really gonna go to the beach on EUC (where do you put it if you go for a swim,etc.). If your main concern is just traffic avoidance for work/groceries commutes then for sure a used IM v8f, KS 16s will do the job AOK. If you wanna be able to  boot around the island for pleasure and adventure, then a long range 3inch tire machine like KS16X would be much better... Bigger machine can do it all and you can still throw in shopping cart when you do groceries etc. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

You have a very short commute and are relatively light in weight, so I would not get a 18XL which happens to be my main wheel. The 18XL is great but for your situation it is not the best choice I think, because it weighs 52 pounds (23.58KG). I would get the 18L instead (if you can get it) or I would get a 16" wheel. I would also consider Inmotion. Also consider that you may want to be able to lock the wheel through the spoke or the handle.

4 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:
5 hours ago, agranner said:

I’ve only had the V8S so I don’t know how much more awkward the 16x or 18xl would be on transit. I would not want to take a s16 on my bus. 

Difficult to know which wheel you're talking about with the S16 - the 16S is only slightly heavier than your V8S but it has a slightly larger battery and a more powerful motor.  

The 16S is a classic made back when portability was still a consideration. It's larger than a 14D or 14S, but still fits under a bus seat. The dimensions are somewhere between a V5 and V8 (due to the handle height); however, Inmotion has a newer version (V8S) that performs a little better than the 16S, but weights a few pounds less (due to slightly smaller battery). 

When you jump up to a 16X or 18XL, it's an entirely different kind of thinking. Wheels are getting very big and heavy to accommodate extra batteries. (Don't get me started on the latest 70 - 90 lb wheels.) A mid-range 40 - 60 lb wheel is much more awkward to take on a bus and try to cram under a seat. Also, more of a hassle if you encounter stairs or just lifting to put into a car. 

I still miss the days when I could easily carry and stow away my 14D on the bus to school. Sure, I had to watch my speed, but I was only using it as a last-mile solution to get to work and bus stops. Just walk? Yeah, right... You try walking a mile everyday, each-way in the Florida heat and humidity. EUC owners don't walk anywhere, we ride!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I just wanted to mention that the 16S and V8S are virtually interchangeable, portable and light.

Whereas, the 16X, 18XL, and S18 are somewhat similar, larger, and heavier.

(Responding more to the other guy and the thread author, I guess...)

As for the (non-existent) S16, that's a whole other discussion...

17 hours ago, Funky said:

Well on scooter you can't get a sudden face plant on ground :P If euc stops working: Surprise kiss from the ground. <3

I don’t want to know how it feels kissing the floor!!! XD i did before when I was a teenager kinda similar riding skate .

16 hours ago, redsnapper said:

I have been to grand cayman on a cruise and there are some wild places to visit on EUC and terrible traffic backups on the main rd of St G (we ran into a very cool security guard on the beach and he offered to take us around to see some sites and we played it close getting back to the ship and the traffic was so bad we had to  jump out and run like the wind to catch the last tender)! An EUC with range would be an asset if you wanna explore. The whole island is only about 50KM from tip to tip putting many cool places within reach of a decent EUC. However are you really gonna go to the beach on EUC (where do you put it if you go for a swim,etc.). If your main concern is just traffic avoidance for work/groceries commutes then for sure a used IM v8f, KS 16s will do the job AOK. If you wanna be able to  boot around the island for pleasure and adventure, then a long range 3inch tire machine like KS16X would be much better... Bigger machine can do it all and you can still throw in shopping cart when you do groceries etc. 

When I go to the beach I use my car 😊 I wouldn’t go with the wheel.

a lot of recommendations are that the 16S it’s enough for my requirements but maybe with the time I will feel short and the 16x will fit more than enough so all my eyes are on that model , my bad luck is that is not available at this moment until late April.

10 minutes ago, Oshintao said:

my bad luck is that is not available at this moment until late April.

Welcome to the world of EUC purchasing... wait wait wait. Then wait some more. Get it reserved before the price goes up, because prices are going up quickly.

16X is an outstanding choice (in the opinion of an owner), I think you'll be very happy with it. When you start learning to ride, check back in. There's lots of tips and good hints here.

Also, watch this video about caring for your battery. It's important. 

Have fun! Be warned though, riding wheels tends to be addicting.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, RayRay said:

The 16S is a classic made back when portability was still a consideration. It's larger than a 14D or 14S, but still fits under a bus seat. The dimensions are somewhere between a V5 and V8 (due to the handle height); however, Inmotion has a newer version (V8S) that performs a little better than the 16S, but weights a few pounds less (due to slightly smaller battery). 

When you jump up to a 16X or 18XL, it's an entirely different kind of thinking. Wheels are getting very big and heavy to accommodate extra batteries. (Don't get me started on the latest 70 - 90 lb wheels.) A mid-range 40 - 60 lb wheel is much more awkward to take on a bus and try to cram under a seat. Also, more of a hassle if you encounter stairs or just lifting to put into a car. 

I still miss the days when I could easily carry and stow away my 14D on the bus to school. Sure, I had to watch my speed, but I was only using it as a last-mile solution to get to work and bus stops. Just walk? Yeah, right... You try walking a mile everyday, each-way in the Florida heat and humidity. EUC owners don't walk anywhere, we ride!

I’m gonna wait until 16X will be in stock again, but in  the mid time I will start to look the equivalent to 16X but in Inmotion brand! 

Ahaha don’t make me remember when i used to live in Orlando (Florida) damn sun ☀️!!! At that time when I arrive to USA I bought a bicycle, but here it’s even sunnier than Florida so impossible to walk .

3 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Welcome to the world of EUC purchasing... wait wait wait. Then wait some more. Get it reserved before the price goes up, because prices are going up quickly.

16X is an outstanding choice (in the opinion of an owner), I think you'll be very happy with it. When you start learning to ride, check back in. There's lots of tips and good hints here.

Also, watch this video about caring for your battery. It's important. 

Have fun! Be warned though, riding wheels tends to be addicting.

😅😅 I’m a little impatient and I want it know …

the thing buying 2nd hand are

- idk in which condition it’s the wheel/engine

-how to bring that to island bc I need an invoice of the product so I can get a clearance by the border authorities.

which would be the equivalent of a KS 16X on Inmotion brand? Just asking………

Ps.- Tawpie thanks you so much for your time and advices and everyone else !!! Such a great community!!!!! Love to everyone!!!

I own the 16X because I live in Manhattan and I wanted the maneuverability, and "off-road" capabilities for potholes, bumps, cracks, etc. From what I read, the 18XL is more comfortable riding for longer distances, but less maneuverable than the 16X. Either way, both wheels you'd get used to if you owned them. I also wanted something with good range and speed for the EUC price, but this may be different for you.

• Thanks 1

Wow, don’t make a typo and get too busy at work to check in! When I wrote S16 I meant S18 as in the previous premium KingSong suspension EUC. (Not 14B, 14D, 16S, 18L, S20, 22XL, or some speculation model I just made up ;) My point was about taking it on the bus which I’m sure we all agree with and probably isn’t relevant to the OP. 
I’m very happy with my V8S since portability is very important to me. I might try a KS14S or MCM but at over 200lbs I think I might have the best wheel for me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Oshintao said:

I'd say the V10F is closest. I think the 16X is a superior wheel in many ways, but would also guess that the V10 and V10F have sold a lot more units!

And @Oshintao, you are more than welcome. There is motivation for me though, some day I might be able to visit the Caymens and if I do, you may find me knocking on your door asking to borrow a wheel and have you take me for a tour!

Edited by Tawpie
  • Haha 1

I never ride my 16x in the rain. I read it has very poor waterproofing, so unless KS has made updates…

Closest Inmotion wheel is the V10f or V12 but performance is left and right of the 16x.

As a first, beginner wheel the V8 series is I think the best choice. Good trade-off for range, portability, performance and all-weather riding.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mango said:

I never ride my 16x in the rain. I read it has very poor waterproofing, so unless KS has made updates…

Put "backpack cover" over euc, then it can be ridden in storm, even if rain is coming down with buckets. <That's what i and my dad do in rainy days. Works like a charm. (Thick grease layer around bearings, "axle" for better waterproof motor also works.)

Edited by Funky

46 minutes ago, Mango said:

KS has made updates…

They did make updates and it's actually really good now. Still, when it's pouring rain I'd recommend bringing along a plastic grocery bag to use as a shower cap, and don't take it swimming.

11 hours ago, Oshintao said:

This is coming from someone who has only had one wheel and only rode one wheel before, so this is my opinion..

I honestly think the v12 is similar to the 16X. I literally bought the 16X a month or two before the V12 came out. If I had a choice between the v12 and the 16X, I'd go with the V12 because it's basically the same thing but more speed and higher battery Whs. But do you need it to go that fast? The 16X is fast enough, trust me, unless you're a speed demon. The 16X is a good wheel, but I'm all about "more" and the V12 is a little "more" to me. Tbh, you'll be happy with either or though...

Edited by bkw
  • Thanks 1

Waiting sucks, but I don't know if I'd switch to a second choice over it. In your situation, buying used is kind of a gamble. THere are plenty of trusting riders/sellers around, but theres also a few that arent. Being at a geographical disadvantage make the decision tough.

I think the new v12 is similar to the 16x, but I have never ridden one. Buying a wheel (even new) canbe a bit of a gamble. The euc companies arent notorious for being exactly realiable. Once you DO get a good working wheel, youll be pretty adamant about taking care of it. I shudder to think about when I'll have to buy another wheel and gamble with the companies again. If i dint have  local retailer that was so damn honest, I would REALLY be worried.

At any rate, once you get a wheel that works, youll find it was worth the wait. As mentioned before, the first step is to roll those dice and order one. Every day you put it off, is one day later one will arrive and one more day of something in the industry changing. Fwiw, I am not convinced that ANY of these euc companies are making improvement over the last cpla years. If I was in the market for my first and only wheel, I'd be looking into the 16x, 18xl, and MAYBE the Nikola. Anything 'newer' than that, and I'd be very worried of what would arrive and if it even works. CHasing new models is for rich people with lots of patience and an already working wheel. I did my stint on a cpla new wheels. One only took a little bit of work to make it passable. The other was a total shit show, from design to build. The only reason I bought into the marketing was because I had money to burn and a realible wheel already sitting around. I learned a lesson and aint in a hurry to repeat the same mistakes.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I did my stint on a cpla new wheels. One only took a little bit of work to make it passable. The other was a total shit show, from design to build.

Can you elaborate - which wheels? which problems? just curious...

9 minutes ago, redsnapper said:

Can you elaborate - which wheels? which problems? just curious...

I bought and sold 3 18L's and every last one worked with zero issue or complaint.

I currently have an 18XL and it too hasnt given me a lick of trouble.

I own 2 mtens 67v and neither has given me any trouble.

I have a sherman and it came in mostly good shape and only a few small details were tended to, after the fact.

I HAD an s18. I've b*tched about that in many forms all over this place, so I'll spare everyone my rantings.

Fwiw, this is only MY experiences with the wheels I have had in my posession. One of the most annoying things about euc manufacturers is, theres no real consistency. Me having a small collection of working wheels is quite amazing really. I know how lucky I am to have working wheels, so I have tried very hard to not let marketing pull me back in. Eucs can be magical. Being content with an euc is not only magical, but a stroke of luck. If I didnt have tools or knowledge, I would REALLY be worried. Don't underestimate the value of having a techie type friend and/or after sales support! Of the wheels I've had, only about half were purchased new. Buying a used wheel from a trusting person, is WAY less gamble than buying a new one from any of these companies imho.

I have a link to my YT channel in my signature. It doesnt take long to gather your own opinions of whether Im a total nutjob or not. Of course, being a nutjob is kinda required. Coming from the automotive industry and motorcycle background, I had to REALLY come to terms with a new way of evaluating what is 'good' or not. If a person has very high standards about machinery, EVERY euc made will simply give them a headache. I blame the fact that once its right, its magic. Magic isnt common, so I overlook how messy it can be to get some.:eff02be2d7:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, bkw said:

I own the 16X because I live in Manhattan and I wanted the maneuverability, and "off-road" capabilities for potholes, bumps, cracks, etc. From what I read, the 18XL is more comfortable riding for longer distances, but less maneuverable than the 16X. Either way, both wheels you'd get used to if you owned them. I also wanted something with good range and speed for the EUC price, but this may be different for you.

I'm in Manhattan as well with a 18XL. It took a while but I finally got used to it, however I must say that many times I have thought of a lighter wheel due to how I use it. Even a KS18L (the smaller battery version of the XL) might have been better. I also have a V10F which is nicer for the weight but it doesn't have the speed of the 18XL. If you want to get together to ride the XL a bit let me know. I'd like to see how the 16X is  anyway. :)

14 hours ago, Oshintao said:

I’m gonna wait until 16X will be in stock again, but in  the mid time I will start to look the equivalent to 16X but in Inmotion brand!

With all of the supply chain issues you probably should put in a order and not wait till you see it available.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Roadpower said:

I'm in Manhattan as well with a 18XL. It took a while but I finally got used to it, however I must say that many times I have thought of a lighter wheel due to how I use it. Even a KS18L (the smaller battery version of the XL) might have been better. I also have a V10F which is nicer for the weight but it doesn't have the speed of the 18XL. If you want to get together to ride the XL a bit let me know. I'd like to see how the 16X is  anyway. :)

I moved from an 18L to an 18XL. The weight difference is really barely noticeable. I had both at same time and LOVED the 18L, so I was very critical about the XL. Riding and carrying back to back, the weight diff was noticeable but very slight. Neither are much fun to carry, but the increase in weight didnt change it. My XL was a version just before they went bigger motor, so power delivery was identical. I ended up keeping the xl and selling the L. The XL didnt have quite the same 'perfect' wire routing and it didnt have the extra protection of a battery box. However, it DID allow me more overhead. I dont ride like a demon, but I come from motorcycles. When riding at 20mph, I still expect to be able to lean and speed up quickly. I was hitting 20% headroom beeps a lot on the 18L. I dont hit those beeps now on the 18xl. Range on my 18L was about 25miles.

I havent ridden a 16X, but I have ridden a Nikola. I am pretty sure the Nik is a smaller wheel, but it sure didnt feel like it. Isnt the 16x a little bit wider wheel and wider tire, vs 18XL? I tend to think that manuevarability on the street, is usually limited by rider ability. Once we get REALLY good at riding, then we may start to utilize the differences. Offroad riding and serious uphill riding, Im betting a smaller wheel is advantageous and it becomes apparent. Physical size while carrying, meh.. once you get 16+" and 45"lbs, I dont think 20% either way, matters. My sherm is a beast to carry, but its also stupid heavy. The handles make it doable. As for the diff in carrying and loading a Nik vs 18XL. Both are simply a pain. Fwiw, small bumps/cracks/holes are typically easier to manage, the larger the wheel diameter. Big rims simply roll 'smoother', asuming they arent warped or badly imbalanced. Wider tires typically rolll softer and can manage lower pressures.

I went thru a period of wanting to add a 16X to my ride arsenal. In the end, I didnt, as the 18xl seemed so close anyhow. Coupled with the fact that I am mostly street and already had an 18XL, meant I didnt buy one. From what I gather, both are capable and both are good wheels. Of course, its still a dice roll when new. They are both made with the same QC we have come to loathe in the industry. But if you do get a good working wheel, I think it should boil dow to.   Primarily street or primarily rugged terrain? Safety at 25mph or safety at 20mph? Most other factors between 16X and 18XL, seem somewhat small in difference.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1