Non Chinese EUC

Lex Smith

7 hours ago, UniVehje said:

The Chinese don't actually own the patents for EUCs and they don't need to care about it. But in other countries the patent holders would ask for their share. 

Who is the patent holder and any idea when will their patent run out? Are you allowed to enforce a patent if you're not actually producing the item yourself i.e. if all you're doing is stopping the idea going forward?

• Like 1

SO basically, Its only illegal if you get caught. Getting 'caught' in China isnt likely :). Profits from theft is the bizz model no? Catch 22, you send a patented idea to china for production. They produce it and market it for themselves and re-nig on the contract. Thereby taking your money, your idea and then selling it to the public out from under you. Amazon has similar practices, but they simply wait for a finished product to sell for you, then copy it and sell it under THEIR name. Honestly, I think Amazon is worse than China for that shit. @mike_bike_kite I dont think you even have to have a working product to patent things. I also dont think you need it be in production to TRY and enforce the patent. I could be wrong, but chasing patent infringement is costly for the persuer. Some of the owners of the planet, have patents on things they THINK will be developed in the future.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

I understand (and agree with) protecting commercial IP but only if it's protecting a real product. Here there's no product in the US so all the patent holder wants to do is to stop others from building these products. In that way, none of us would be able to ride EUCs. I'm afraid I  couldn't read that forbes article as their web page doesn't allow me to turn off their cookies. 

He wants revenue from licensing his patents. He could ask for enforcement through the ITC and potentially get an import ban but I think someone is actually paying him to allow importation. His patents will expire eventually, they date from the 80s iirc.

If you read his patents, it's quite trivial to design around them but when you decide to do that, you need to budget for lawyers because it's highly likely you'll get sued. Even if the suit is groundless, your legal team will consume hundreds of dollars per hour.

Given the size of the potential US market and the extra costs involved in manufacturing in the US, and the fact that we have lawyers that are willing to sue everyone anytime over anything as long as they get a cut... the costs far outweigh the potential profit. KS would be facing a class action lawsuit for a easily broken handle. Begode would be out of business. I mean really, I got a piece of the settlement from Apple because rather than have my old phone crash randomly because the battery was worn out, they slowed it down—but they didn't tell me, so I was harmed.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Upvote 1

What about the safety side of things? Wouldn't a western company get shut down after their vehicle has been involved in a death or two?

Certification? Rigorous testing of a third party? Large capacity battery laws and limitations?

I fear even without looking at patents, there's just too much red tape for an exciting development of products in a short time.

When people start to pay 5000$ for an EUC, then it might attract the interest of western companies. Problem is, then it's not a "people's" vehicle, if it's only for the wealthy, is it?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

What about the safety side of things? Wouldn't a western company get shut down after their vehicle has been involved in a death or two?

Doesn't futuremotion assemble their onewheels in the states? There's been a few onewheel deaths and they're still around

Edited by TantasStarke

47 minutes ago, TantasStarke said:

Doesn't futuremotion assemble their onewheels in the states?

They do

47 minutes ago, TantasStarke said:

There's been a few onewheel deaths and they're still around

They are being sued for wrongful death, more suits on the way https://www.bchlaw.com/news/2021/august/as-future-motion-faces-more-lawsuits-over-onewhe/

2 hours ago, alcatraz said:

When people start to pay 5000$ for an EUC, then it might attract the interest of western companies.

Why would it need to be 5000 dollars to attract western countries? They sell other PEVs for cheaper. It's just still a niche thing pretty much everywhere, that's the problem. Needs more popularity

1 hour ago, bkw said:

Someone should contact Elon Musk and ask him to make us a telsa EUC

He has publicly said he wont even make an e-kickscooter because he thinks one looks ridiculous riding them.  A pretty odd statement considering some of the haircuts he has shown himself with...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bkw said:

Why would it need to be 5000 dollars to attract western countries? They sell other PEVs for cheaper. It's just still a niche thing pretty much everywhere, that's the problem. Needs more popularity

With all the red tape and overhead costs in the west, prices need to rise before it could be sustainable business for them.

5000$ is just an estimation. Maybe the real price is higher than that, or lower. But as the chinese ask for more and more, the greater the chance that a western company enters the market.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alcatraz said:

With all the red tape and overhead costs in the west, prices need to rise before it could be sustainable business for them.

5000$ is just an estimation. Maybe the real price is higher than that, or lower. But as the chinese ask for more and more, the greater the chance that a western company enters the market.

A NZ company came up with an innovative folding e-bke called a Yike and the entry level model is currently on sale for $4995 USD so your $5k estimate sounds pretty good. 

The company is for sale in case anyone is interested.   We have one of them at work but they've lost the charger otherwise I would give it a go. 

www.yikebike.com

11 hours ago, mhpr262 said:

He has publicly said he wont even make an e-kickscooter because he thinks one looks ridiculous riding them.  A pretty odd statement considering some of the haircuts he has shown himself with...

Well, apparently he hasn't seen an EUC before ;). If Elon made an EUC it would be pretty incredible I would imagine

5 hours ago, bkw said:

If Elon made an EUC it would be pretty incredible I would imagine

I'd like to think so... but one of the greatest things about EUCs is that they are so simple - a hub motor, a control board and a battery pack, thats basically it. And the biggest bottleneck on the road to faster/more powerful wheels are currently the batteries. Even the new 4680 cells Tesla will soon be using only delivers as much current as a 6P battery pack of 18650 cells, which is good but not anything special. I dont see what Musk could possibly do to make a wheel that really wows people.

• 1 year later...

Tesla, Ford, GMC, all the US manufacturers definitely not interested in making EUCs because to them they are small changes. China doesn't want to spend money invading Taiwan. It's the US and her military complex want war so they can sell more weapons and make more money. China is doing business all over the world promoting peace and prosperity. The irony is that the US is trying to surround China and decouple with China. The reality is China is surrounding US economically by doing business with South America, Africa, Russia, Middle East... Wake up, people! We are doomed if the upcoming election is between Biden and Trump??? China is the world manufacturer and who are we? When are jobs coming back to America?