Tires you’ve replaced, but are too good to go to the landfill.

OldFartRides

The chronological age of any tire can be found on the tire sidewall by examining the characters following the symbol "DOT". The last four numbers identify the date of manufacture of the tire to the nearest week. The first two of these four numbers identify the week of manufacture (which range from "01" to "53")

Every tire has a birth date—the day it was manufactured—and an expiration date that is six years from that manufacture date. Most automobile manufacturers warn drivers to replace vehicle tires after six years. To wait any longer than that is a gamble with tire integrity and is risky for drivers.

Rubber will deteriorate through oxidation even if it just sits on a shelf.

• Like 1

I keep mine in case some freak incident blows up the tire I mounted. Usually never have much intentions of returning to them though, so they'll either rot until dead or be given away at an appropriate time.

• Like 1

Yeah, I guess so. But there’s an old Scottish saying rattling around my head:

Use it up. Wear it out. make do, or do without.

Plus, I bet there’s some poor “ scooter trash” out there that’d be thrilled to have a decent tire for nuthin.

• Like 1

I threw mine away after a year or so. It was an off-road tire I was maybe or maybe not going to ever use again.

If you haven't used something (tire or whatever) for a certain time, how likely is it you'll ever use it? At some point the answer is "less hassle to get a new one, if needed, than keeping this old thing".

You can also ask: "How often did I regret throwing something away, and how often did I regret not throwing something away sooner?" The answer is that usually the latter happens way more often.

This, essentially:

1 hour ago, OldFartRides said:

make do, or do without.

• Like 1

My studio floor and drum mat is made from recycled car tires. Puzzle pieces of galvanized rubber. I found it ironic and works pretty well. I would suspect it would take EVERY EUC used tire ever, to reproduce the floor. OMFG talk about heavy!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I keep all my tires. Sometimes one may be an useful bargaining chip with friends, sometimes one may fit well on my spare wheel, or a wheel brought in to my “shop“.

While I understand the importance of the DOT date for car tires that need to be safe when emergency braking from 140km/h, I never use an EUC tire past 50km/h. I wouldn’t be very picky about the DOT dates on bicycle tires either.

Also, EUC tires are not used in a tubeless configuration, so they don’t need to hold the air in.

My guess is that an out of DOT tire would only have less grip on paved surfaces, especially when wet. Which is a circumstance I haven’t had any grip issues on an EUC, ever.

The inner tube though, it needs to be fresh to avoid cracking and sudden pressure loss, as it can be a devastating event while riding.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

I keep all my tires. Sometimes one may be an useful bargaining chip with friends, sometimes one may fit well on my spare wheel, or a wheel brought in to my “shop“.

While I understand the importance of the DOT date for car tires that need to be safe when emergency braking from 140km/h, I never use an EUC tire past 50km/h. I wouldn’t be very picky about the DOT dates on bicycle tires either.

Also, EUC tires are not used in a tubeless configuration, so they don’t need to hold the air in.

My guess is that an out of DOT tire would only have less grip on paved surfaces, especially when wet. Which is a circumstance I haven’t had any grip issues on an EUC, ever.

The inner tube though, it needs to be fresh to avoid cracking and sudden pressure loss, as it can be a devastating event while riding.

I once bought a 'new' set of tires for my cbr100xx. Even after then first layer was worn off, they stayed slick as snot. Upon inspection, I noted my 'new' tires were already 7 yrs old. It took a hell of a fight, but I got them to refund them and I bought an actual new set from them. The set that wasnt 7yrs 'new', quickly scrubbed in and were excellent. I dont think that MOST of us are actually using our tires on an euc, to the same extremes as my cbr1100xx did. Most of us are limited in areas of skill or other terrain issues. However, I would bet BIG money that some of the more 'racing' types of us on an euc, would definitely notice if a tire didnt become sticky once it warmed. Of course, we are talking the niche' of the niche' here. I highly doubt tire age is one of my primary concerns on an euc yet. Hell, Im still battling chicken strips....

• Upvote 1

KS18XL, 18k km, first tyre change.

Replaced a $5 bearing assembly as well for preventative maintenance.

Blowtorch needed to heat and expand the surrounding metal to extract the bearing assembly.

No problems or maintenance at all since day one.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There is tire recycling where I live. You can take them to a recycling depot with other items like old electronics, used motor oil/paint and they'll take care of it. Might be worth looking into vs. dumping them in a landfill.

• Upvote 1