EUC Alarm app: hear your Gotway/Begode wheel beeps!

6 hours ago, supercurio said:

Yes that's the simulate feature that I've used extensively during development. Seems both @Lefteris and you like it, so I'll find a place in the UI to make it available in the production release for the next one ^_^

Yeah it is the best!! 

And if the relay works with proxy, as @Freestylersaid, it would be perfect for all sorts of testing thru @enaon's eucWatch 💪

Edited by Lefteris
  • Like 1

Hey @supercurio i have some feature requests to suggest

• Option to reconnect to last wheel connected
    So it re-connects if app is killed via user or other phone event.
  • Actions
    So we can call upon actions, like when messaging on android, run app and connect to *** or other e.g. record or proxy
  • Auto-Connect on App Startup
    As title says
  • Auto-Record on App Startup
    As title says

I'm already using Samsung Routines, it's like MacroDroid, but with less features, and other apps with similar functionality (Automate / Tasker). I scan one NFC tag and i set my bluetooth speakers to 90%, phone rotation locked, vibration on, and then open EUC alarm.

I would like to be able to connect to my wheel at app startup and also start recording.

This can be also automated that if the wheel bluetooth name is identified then do all of the above, etc.

Your thoughts?

Edit: video demo link -> https://imgur.com/a/dCLikmx
Edit 2: screenshot -> 

2Ohtig3.png

Edited by Lefteris
video demo link + screenshot
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Lefteris said:

Hey @supercurio i have some feature requests to suggest

• Option to reconnect to last wheel connected
    So it re-connects if app is killed via user or other phone event.

Hey thanks for the feedback!

This feature is already implemented, and it's something important missing from both from EUC World and WheelLog. Often when taking HDR pictures on my Pixel 2, EUC World gets killed and never resumes so I knew about the issue that way, realizing that I was missing chucks of tour recording but also worse, didn't have app alarms all that time.

I took special attention to making it robust.

More details on what's already handled:

• app is killed by Android (low memory resource):
    - EUC Alarm is restarted shortly
    - re-connects to the wheel
    - alarm function is resumed
    - recording resumes if any
  • phone reboots (low/cold battery, OS or hardware crash)
    - EUC Alarm is started
    - re-connects to the wheel
    - recording resumes if any
    A key here is that the app will restart and resume operations even with encrypted storage, and behind the lock-screen. Every other app will only start after the phone is unlocked, but EUC Alarm app bypasses this limitation

• Actions
    So we can call upon actions, like when messaging on android, run app and connect to *** or other e.g. record or proxy

I see, could be a nice to have. For now I don't see a huge use case yet since the few app is designed with few features, and settings which are unlikely to be changed often.
In short, for now I count on purposefully chosen defaults so everything works out of the box (like keeping speaker on: not an option that would be off by default like in EUC World, then if you don't have alerts often your speakers shuts off, and would miss the alarm when needed)

• Auto-Connect on App Startup
    As title says

Ah yes I didn't think of that one because I've been using the follow-connect - automatically connecting when EUC World does.
In that case I think there could be two functionalities:

Auto-connect on:

• app startup
  • main activity launch
  • main activity resume

I think you meant what I list here as main activity launch. App startup might occur as little as once every month as the app remains in background.
On main activity resume, I'm not sure, it could get annoying, probably not worth it.

This one will make usage nicer for a bunch of users! Simple and great addition.

• Auto-Record on App Startup
    As title says

That one could be auto-record on connection instead. I'll add that after exposing the convert to CSV log functionality (which already exists but only in command line version)

I'm already using Samsung Routines, it's like MacroDroid, but with less features, and other apps with similar functionality (Automate / Tasker). I scan one NFC tag and i set my bluetooth speakers to 90%, phone rotation locked, vibration on, and then open EUC alarm.

I would like to be able to connect to my wheel at app startup and also start recording.

Have you been the recordings yet? Or it's just in case for later, like if you have a cut-out, accident and you'd ask me to extract the content.
I understand now that if EUC Alarm app is used only as Proxy for eucWatch, then it's a method to log wheel data on the fly, a feature I'm guessing the watch doesn't have.

This can be also automated that if the wheel bluetooth name is identified then do all of the above, etc.

Yes that would come with the follow-connect, respecting the choice of auto-recording or not on connection.

Your thoughts?

Well I'll get to work 😁

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, supercurio said:

Have you been the recordings yet? Or it's just in case for later, like if you have a cut-out, accident and you'd ask me to extract the content.
I understand now that if EUC Alarm app is used only as Proxy for eucWatch, then it's a method to log wheel data on the fly, a feature I'm guessing the watch doesn't have

My main use is for the audial alarms of your app cause of my RS19HT model, I often speed up and only hear the bt while riding. 

Yes I do use the proxy function with my eucWatch by @enaon cause in many cases the Bluetooth connection is stronger with the phone bt instead of the watch. Some watches need antennae replacement/betterment..

I do use recording on each ride, hence a new phone with better battery usage and I also use euc world for trip recording. If something bad happens on the ride I'll have three points to look. One is euc alarm recording in real time replicating what the actual f*** happened, then the trip url, and then digging thru the csv data. 

Thank you for taking the time to consider the changes. I hope more riders start to use euc alarm cause it is the most useful tool specially with a companion smartwatch with custom firmware like eucWatch ✌️💪

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

MCM5v2 and Galaxy S8 running Android v9:

Partially displayed at the bottom of my screen is a green bar stating "Beeper Off / Unknown" I lifted the wheel and got no alarms. Suggestions?

Thanks,

Jay

Hi @JMartin!

If your wheel beeps during a free-spin test but the app doesn't reflect it with the visual indicator or alert sound, it means that the firmware of your wheel does not transmits the beeper info via Bluetooth for the app to act upon.

You did well testing first instead of getting out with a false sense of security 👍

The only way I can think of to add the capability to a Begode wheel which doesn't have it would be to flash it with a wireless firmware update - if it's equipped with a Black Board, or with the update chip otherwise.
I tested the MCM5 v2 of a friend who supported the capability however just like @Freestyler's, so such firmware exists out here.

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2022 at 2:44 PM, supercurio said:

Hey thanks for the feedback!

This feature is already implemented, and it's something important missing from both from EUC World and WheelLog. Often when taking HDR pictures on my Pixel 2, EUC World gets killed and never resumes so I knew about the issue that way, realizing that I was missing chucks of tour recording but also worse, didn't have app alarms all that time.

I took special attention to making it robust.

More details on what's already handled:

• app is killed by Android (low memory resource):
    - EUC Alarm is restarted shortly
    - re-connects to the wheel
    - recording resumes if any
  • phone reboots (low/cold battery, OS or hardware crash)
    - EUC Alarm is started
    - re-connects to the wheel
    - recording resumes if any
    A key here is that the app will restart and resume operations even with encrypted storage, and behind the lock-screen. Every other app will only start after the phone is unlocked, but EUC Alarm app bypasses this limitation

I see, could be a nice to have. For now I don't see a huge use case yet since the few app is designed with few features, and settings which are unlikely to be changed often.
In short, for now I count on purposefully chosen defaults so everything works out of the box (like keeping speaker on: not an option that would be off by default like in EUC World, then if you don't have alerts often your speakers shuts off, and would miss the alarm when needed)

Ah yes I didn't think of that one because I've been using the follow-connect - automatically connecting when EUC World does.
In that case I think there could be two functionalities:

Auto-connect on:

• app startup
  • main activity launch
  • main activity resume

I think you meant what I list here as main activity launch. App startup might occur as little as once every month as the app remains in background.
On main activity resume, I'm not sure, it could get annoying, probably not worth it.

This one will make usage nicer for a bunch of users! Simple and great addition.

That one could be auto-record on connection instead. I'll add that after exposing the convert to CSV log functionality (which already exists but only in command line version)

I understand now that if EUC Alarm app is used only as Proxy for eucWatch, then it's a method to log wheel data on the fly, a feature I'm guessing the watch doesn't have.

Yes that would come with the follow-connect, respecting the choice of auto-recording or not on connection.

Well I'll get to work 😁

Wait.

It does reconnect even after reboot or kill. But not when I just open the app normally. 

I need to hit connect and select the wheel. Make an options screen and have some of the features for selection there, even proxy and voltage can be moved there instead of the main app view 😊

I just got a Ticwris Max and got EUC World installed on it, it wont connect to the wheel proxy, it finds it but when you attempt connection it just tries for a second and then gives up, nothing in EUC World logs (probably need wheel connection to start logging?). The Ticwris Max runs on old Android 7 could be that? Anyone else tried/can try connecting to proxy with a Ticwris?

1 hour ago, Lefteris said:

Wait.

It does reconnect even after reboot or kill. But not when I just open the app normally. 

Yes I tested a few weeks back follow-connect strategies and found some cases where it would not, like after disabling Bluetooth, or if an app connected directly to a device via its MAC address without scanning first (probably what happens then) then the system doesn't inform apps a device was connected as expected.
It's a bug in the OS from what I found, I'll try to identify ways around it.

I need to hit connect and select the wheel. Make an options screen and have some of the features for selection there, even proxy and voltage can be moved there instead of the main app view 😊

Yes planned, sorry for the delay!

6 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

I just got a Ticwris Max and got EUC World installed on it, it wont connect to the wheel proxy, it finds it but when you attempt connection it just tries for a second and then gives up, nothing in EUC World logs (probably need wheel connection to start logging?). The Ticwris Max runs on old Android 7 could be that? Anyone else tried/can try connecting to proxy with a Ticwris?

Unfortunately EUC World is not as tolerant like eucWatch is in its method to detect wheels, requiring the an exact match in Bluetooth Low Energy GATT services and characteristics, which can't be replicated on Android since Android itself adds its own generic BLE services for names and stuff.

For now, EUC World connecting to the proxy is a no-go. Maybe something that could be worked out with @Seba in an update now that it becomes a more common use case.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Awhile back, I got a Ticwris Max also. Its bluetooth keeps disconnecting. I got fed up with it, so I found a better alternative, the Unihertz Jelly 2. This small watch is great, no issue at all, except its battery life when fully charged is only good for 4-5 hours. I usually recharge it with a power bank or attach it to a power bank and it's always fully charge. Check it out! It's great for EUC riding!

Edited by Scubadragonsan

Excuse my ignorance but what's the difference between this and euc world? i mean iv been using euc world alarms  flawlessly for ages iin conjunction with the wheels built in beeps and all you have to do is tick 'use wheel alarms' and it will transmit the wheels 80% alarms through bluetooth, this feature has saved my ass multiple times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Freestyler said:

Local kingsong riders are jealous of the proxy feature.

Can you add support please?

Yes I will add soon, I might ask for some small help however to make sure to recognize the right items!

I'm hoping for next week, thanks for forwarding their internet 😄

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, supercurio said:
16 hours ago, Lefteris said:

Wait.

Yes I tested a few weeks back follow-connect strategies and found some cases where it would not, like after disabling Bluetooth, or if an app connected directly to a device via its MAC address without scanning first (probably what happens then) then the system doesn't inform apps a device was connected as expected.
It's a bug in the OS from what I found, I'll try to identify ways around it.

Is there a way to check WheelLog process of re-connecting upon app start over their github and implement a similar functionality ?

Is there a way to check WheelLog process of re-connecting upon app start over their github and implement a similar functionality ?

Nothing special here, it's straightforward, only a bit of logic to add.

In that case: auto connect on app start, I wonder if it should trigger the connection loss like alert if it can't connect to the wheel or not. It's the case when auto reconnecting after a crash or reboot for instance. EUC World follows the same pattern so if you start the app and don't pay attention to it, you'll know that if didn't connect to the wheel as expected.

• Upvote 1

Great ok!

now when you implement something for the KS guys and the app takes it's form, i think the demo should go away from the app title, and this thread needs to be sticky.

This app is my main euc companion alongside eucWatch, not even have the need to open euc.world only if i need to record trip on the map and then share to relive etc.

On 5/17/2022 at 5:32 PM, supercurio said:

Unfortunately EUC World is not as tolerant like eucWatch is in its method to detect wheels, requiring the an exact match in Bluetooth Low Energy GATT services and characteristics, which can't be replicated on Android since Android itself adds its own generic BLE services for names and stuff.

For now, EUC World connecting to the proxy is a no-go. Maybe something that could be worked out with @Seba in an update now that it becomes a more common use case.

@Seba is this something you would be able to look into? Would be super nice to proxy into EUC World that way.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

@Seba is this something you would be able to look into? Would be super nice to proxy into EUC World that way.

I think if more work is done, it should be on something more than the proxy, maybe it is time for a making a standard the way we think it should be.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, enaon said:

I think if more work is done, it should be on something more than the proxy, maybe it is time for a making a standard the way we think it should be.

But proxy is perfect solution for my use case (using 2 different instances of EUC World on 2 different devices connected to 1 wheel).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

But proxy is perfect solution for my use case (using 2 different instances of EUC World on 2 different devices connected to 1 wheel).

Sure, the proxy is a nice solution by it self, just not optimal

in any case I agree that EUC World could loosen up on checks, they are inherited from wheel log, but are not needed. Darknessbot, or even the softunner ks app, can use the proxy on the watch.

It is my fault as well too, Seba was willing to work on removing some checks, we had some talks and ideas and I was supposed to implement them before continuing with making EUC World compatible with the proxy, but i left it a bit behind. 

the main problem with EUC World connection to a proxy from the phone is android, as it cannot use the same BTaddr, and Seba wants it. So work in the proxy side is needed, a new characteristic maybe, with the original addr inside?

But if we start adding characteristics, it becomes apparent I think that a standard would be usefull. 

Edited by enaon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1