Mango

32 minutes ago, LowFlyingSquirrel said:

It's not rated to sustain more than 4500w for prolonged periods.

It's not rated indeed, but assuming they have good safety margins it can sustain a bit more. In addition actual sustainable power may depend on weather which affects heat dissipation. Winter allows higher power. Furthermore, I am not sure whether the 2800Wh is the rated capacity or the useful capacity. The useful capacity may be lower so that the calculation is off [as has been discussed on this forum, most EUCs don't allow the cells to go as low as 2.5V, it's usually limited to 3V or higher and depends on manufacturer and even on model. Don't know the stats of the V13 and don't have the time to do the research right now].

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, yoos said:

It's not rated indeed, but assuming they have good safety margins it can sustain a bit more. In addition actual sustainable power may depend on weather which affects heat dissipation. Winter allows higher power. Furthermore, I am not sure whether the 2800Wh is the rated capacity or the useful capacity. The useful capacity may be lower so that the calculation is off [as has been discussed on this forum, most EUCs don't allow the cells to go as low as 2.5V, it's usually limited to 3V or higher and depends on manufacturer and even on model. Don't know the stats of the V13 and don't have the time to do the research right now].

Its rated discharge capacity from samsung 35e datasheet. Rdc isn't until 2.5v.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LowFlyingSquirrel said:

Thats how peak works. It's not rated to sustain more than 4500w for prolonged periods.

right but if you are routinely hammering on it and you are getting close to that 10k peak thus making the average higher than what its rated for.

Edited by Punxatawneyjoe
missed an and
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

right but if you are routinely hammering on it and you are getting close to that 10k peak thus making the average higher than what its rated for.

I havent seen the speed test video. It was my impression it was done by cruising at max speed. I hope that cruising at 90 km/h doesnt require >4500 w, but it could be the case that it does.

Wait a minute! He wasn't answering the question based on this one ride.  All the theorizing and number crunching isn't really relevant. The actual words he wrote were: "my experience personally has been around 40-50 miles spirited and 60-70 casual" riding.

He is making a simple, calm, summary statement. In his experience, he has gotten a range of mileage from 40 to 70. Add in Speedyfeet's experience of 30 miles when wide open, and the real-world range reported so far becomes: a minimum of 30 miles to a maximum of 70 miles. Without needing to know the nitty gritty details of the two riding styles, we have a real-world approximate min and max.

Not the best range in the world, but it seems about what should be expected. Definitely not some shocking tragic failure. And he was honest. When he had to go home to recharge, the Master Pro still had 70% charge. Turns out 4800 is more than 3024. Who knew? :D

Hopefully more videos will add more data points and more nitty gritty to chew on.

How often will people need to go around 55 mph for around 30 miles in around 30 minutes?

Edited by UPONIT
question
  • Like 2

Marty's done a range test at 30kph average and got 87km range. Seems like the motor is power hungry. 

Now it's coming out in the wild there doesn't seem like there's many reasons to go for the v13 over the master pro. 

I've been really impressed with the hero even after 3000km so I might be a bit biased 

Edit: I didn't actually check the master pro prices as my local retailer doesn't have it, but even AliExpress is 1000 to 2000 AUD more than the v13. 

Edited by Eyss
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

A range test doesn’t tell us much

:confused1:

So far we have 3 test results from 3 known riders:

.......MAX MOTOR.......................CASUAL
#1.....40-50 miles.....................60-70 miles

#2.....30 miles........................N/A.................
#3.....N/A.............................54 miles (@18mph avg.)

The three tests don't differ wildly. No unusual claims are being made. How much more helpful or accurate would the results be with endless additional minutiae of detail in the data? After all, no one will ever again ride an EUC under all those same exact conditions?

So what do we do? We estimate. Are we likely to find out the range is really 12 miles at max, or 300 miles at 18mph average? No. It's probably going to be around what these riders have reported, plus or minus my or your fat or skinny *ss. :D

Spoiler

Also of note: My own comparison method (that you hate:D) says the 4.5kW motor powered by a 3kWh battery should run for 40 minutes at its maximum output. (Whatever speed/load ratio happens to be causing that maximum output doesn't matter).

That seems to roughly agree with these results, no? :eff034a94a:

Edited by UPONIT
emojification

7 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Not wildly, but by a lot. 30 to 50 miles with a similar riding style is a 66% difference. I don’t know what anyone would do with that kind of “information”.

Endless and minutiae you say? Very accurate! But that’s pointless. We’re all looking for reasonable.

Check your power consumption from any app, and multiply with the battery capacity. Two values, not any more complicated than your method, and has been shown to be reasonably accurate. If you plan to ride faster, just take that into account.

You are exactly right.

Like I demonstrated to you before, it is highly inaccurate. Much more so than just extrapolating from the battery capacity alone. Let alone calculating from the actual consumption.

Do you think this is a "reasonable" conclusion? The V13 has an estimated range of between 30 and 70 miles (depending on riding style and other variables).

I think the rest is just a disconnect of language or something.

Spoiler

This is all said in the spirit of friendly discussion and shared interest.

I can't resist picking a few nits.

The results don't differ by "a lot." Statistics are just easy to misuse. First, you selected the upper end of his range (50 instead of 40) to maximize the difference. So 33%, not 66%.

Second, that isn't the way our brains compare the numbers. We judge each number against some "ideal."  Example: If you are on a group ride full of Master Pros getting 400 miles of range, 40 miles (10%) isn't proportionally that much better than 30 miles (7.5%) on your V13.

Also, you didn't demonstrate that my calculation is highly inaccurate. It just didn't seem worth debating, since I use the same metrics you mention, just calling them different things. My unscientific, oversimplified "formula" gave me this estimate before any results were in:

A 4500W constant draw would use up 3024 Watt hours in 40 minutes.

And If Speedyfeet rode 45 mph and went 30 miles, he rode for 40 minutes!   What an unbelievably accurate prediction! :roflmao:

All of this is a stew of variables that can't have a definitive, absolute right "answer." I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with?

I'm curious what you, or anyone, would "extrapolate" the V13's range to be? Better question: How would you answer someone who asked, while jogging by, "What's the range on that thing?"

Anyway, thanks again for the perspectives. Always entertaining.

Edited by UPONIT
i dunno

4 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Very well said! With your permission I will use the whiskey example from now on. :)

I just wish my EUC battery would last even 0.01% of how long a whiskey bottle lasts with my current usage… :lol:

You’ll ‘do better’ with many by comparing it to Scotch whisky than Irish whiskey…. In the long run - I’ve got a bottle of the latter stuff which is more likely to form dendrites than ever be finished in this house, but the native elixir goes down faster than Speedy Feet Ian ‘on a promise’!

• Haha 2

Perhaps ask SpeedyFeet to conduct a range test, with a lower constant speed.

To better reflect 'normal' usage.

Highlight the dramatic reduction in range from excessive speed.

Etc.

Ian did ask for questions/suggestions via comments, for the upcoming 250/500/1000 km reviews.

3 hours ago, UPONIT said:

Do you think this is a "reasonable" conclusion? The V13 has an estimated range of between 30 and 70 miles (depending on riding style and other variables).

My guess is that with calm slow speed riding the range can be more. So no.

Hide contents

First, you selected the upper end of his range (50 instead of 40) to maximize the difference. So 33%, not 66%.

30-50 miles was simply the range of the given aggressive ride results.

I'm curious what you, or anyone, would "extrapolate" the V13's range to be? Better question: How would you answer someone who asked, while jogging by, "What's the range on that thing?"

I'd answer the range that I would've normally gotten with my personal riding style, which would probably be around 60-70 miles.

Second, that isn't the way our brains compare the numbers. We judge each number against some "ideal."  Example: If you are on a group ride full of Master Pros getting 400 miles of range, 40 miles (10%) isn't proportionally that much better than 30 miles (7.5%) on your V13.

Percentage is for comparing two values. In your example you compare 40 to 400, and then 30 to 400. I compared the minimum (30) and maximum (50) of the given range of values against each other. I don't see the point in scaling the perspective in any other way. Of course if you compare having 1 or 10 toothpicks left in a jar of 500 toothpicks, the jar is almost empty on both cases. But the other is still ten times more.

Why are we discussing this again...?

Also, you didn't demonstrate that my calculation is highly inaccurate.

I can do it again:

KS 16S, 840Wh battery, 1200W motor. Your suggestion: 42 minutes of full power. Real life range: 35 km.

V11, 1500Wh battery, 2200W motor. Your suggestion: 41 minutes of full power. Real life range: 60km.

V13, 3024Wh battery, 4500W motor. Your suggestion: 40 minutes. Real life range: unknown, probably 100-110 km.

Per your calculation, all the wheels should have practically identical range, while in reality the V11 has 71% more range than the 16S.

The power consumptions for the a 16S and V11 were 24 and 25 Wh/km. That's about how much my riding style seems to consume energy, no matter which wheel I'm on. Therefore it stands to reason to use that as the basis for the range estimation, since it's an accurate presentation and doesn't vary much between wheels.

It just didn't seem worth debating, since I use the same metrics you mention, just calling them different things.

Same metrics...? I'm not sure if they could be much more different!

My unscientific, oversimplified "formula" gave me this estimate before any results were in:

A 4500W constant draw would use up 3024 Watt hours in 40 minutes.

And If Speedyfeet rode 45 mph and went 30 miles, he rode for 40 minutes!   What an unbelievably accurate prediction! :roflmao:

Where did the 45 mph come from? I didn't see it being mentioned.

One more thing, if one keeps blasting until the wheel starts to beep or tilt-back, there's still 30-50% of battery left. Either you slow down or end the range test. So one can't draw 4500W anywhere near until the battery is empty.

Either way, calculating how fast the battery gets drained with a constant nominal wattage draw doesn't do anything for estimating real life range.

I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with?

I'm disagreeing with the usage of such a vague value as the motor wattage as a basis for any calculation related to range. Motor nominal wattage isn't even a standardized measure, and is clearly affected by the marketing department, since it has sometimes been increased with a mere software update.

Would you like to discuss the topic further under a new thread?

• Like 1

Is it possible to simply extrapolate, without needing to ride a battery to zero?

Eg:

Ride at a constant speed of 20kph, for 10km, determine the battery % consumed.  Extrapolate to determine range, at that speed.

Repeat exercise with 30kph, 40kph, 50kph, etc....

Members could then have an estimated range, based on their own known average riding speed.

Probably result in a logarithmic curve.

With:

Y axis - distance

X axis - speed

PMrUQ.png

Edited by Paul A