Mango

3 hours ago, techyiam said:

Denis Hagov has a riding weight of 242 lbs. And he is not a small person. 

Dawn Champion is 5'4" and said the weight of the V12 is close to her body weight.

And their first impressions of the V13 are diametrically opposite. 

She, a small and light rider, feels the big and heavy V13 does everything well.

On the hand, Denis Hagov, a big and heavy rider, feels the big and heavy V13, is ponderous and not responsive.

How can that be?

You are taking too much of a scientific perspective on what these "testers" say, and rather you should be taking it with a huge bag of salt because they don't put any real mileage on the wheel and don't show any useful data to supplement these highly subjective opinions on how a wheel feels. The most useful video so far is still Kuji's where he demonstrated everything from big drops to acceleration test (with data) and of course the flavour of the year which is stairs stairs and more stairs. You don't really need anymore information to make a purchase decision than what Kuji showed in that one video alone. Definitely don't need to sit through 1.5hr video from someone who clearly hasn't read the manual or ever used the Inmotion app before.

Also remember Marty likes every wheel and Denis doesn't have the best read even as a retailer. Remember how he slammed the Mten4 while first batch sold out everywhere?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cerbera said:

It might not be as dark and Machiavellian as he imagines. They may just have looked at the size and weight of the guy and thought - he is not heavy enough to show this machine has decent acceleration and braking ! I have noticed that the V13 seems to take a very long time to start and stop unless the person riding it is a proper unit ! I have similar issues on the Master, which is itself slightly too heavy for my weight, so I too would also be a hopeless V13 demo guy...

I don't think his size or weight will effect his skills. Wrongway also had issues with v12ht 

13 hours ago, techyiam said:

Denis Hagov has a riding weight of 242 lbs. And he is not a small person. 

Dawn Champion is 5'4" and said the weight of the V12 is close to her body weight.

And their first impressions of the V13 are diametrically opposite. 

She, a small and light rider, feels the big and heavy V13 does everything well.

On the hand, Denis Hagov, a big and heavy rider, feels the big and heavy V13, is ponderous and not responsive.

How can that be?

I'm around Denis' weight and height, and I do agree with him a bit.  I tried to launch it (is that the correct word?) from wet uneven grass,  but was not able to,  i.e. it felt like the wheel didn't want to accelerate at all :)
With out-of-the-box settings, it does take its time to provide power, but I feel that slow speed handling isn't worse than the V12. I do wish the COG was lower though. The standard tire is also not ideal, I feel a street tire would suit me better.

Edited by mlau
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, rebeuc said:

Hopefully they still have the option to disable cutout in this scenario entirely for those who do like to do extreme track riding. (I don't have much of a sense of whether 65 degrees as they have chosen is enough or not, as this is not a limit I have ever tested)

Try taking the wheel here to find out:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, onizukagto said:

how you would use this feature?

Bicycle velodromes have an angle of over 40 degrees in the steepest parts of the track.

A rider leaning at the steepest part of the track, could thus have an EUC greater than 45 degrees, relative to the Earth's surface, and cut out.

amateour2.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

Berm mode is INCREDIBLY DANGEROUS in it's current implementation.

Once Berm mode is switched on in app setting, it only needs to activate in real world use when the wheel is moving 3km/h and faster, to prevent the spin-out in that Toronto demo day video.

I may have missed this; have a link to the specific video in question?

4 minutes ago, Paradox said:
12 minutes ago, rebeuc said:

I may have missed this; have a link to the specific video in question?

https://t.me/inmotionV13eng/5616

Wow, yeah, that is incredibly dangerous and could easily hit someone

Edited by rebeuc
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, techyiam said:

I don't agree. Watching Dawn accelerate gave me a good idea as to how a V13 could accelerate under a rider who is not big nor heavy.

Out-of-the-box Abrams doesn't accelerate like that, and even with stock pads, it was still lacking. 

Yes, until a different smaller rider makes a video saying its hard to accelerate, and then you're going to be confused again. This is the problem with subjective opinions without data. Our V13 tester isn't big or heavy and blows the socks off everyone when riding his stock-everything Abrams. Skill & confidence with the wheel has the most to say about what a wheel can or can't do.

On the contrary. In the traffic, I don't ride like him. It may be great for riders who do. It's analogous to Wrongway riding up stairs backwards. That doesn't help me at all. It may garner more views for his videos, but it doesn't help me to evaluate the wheel in question to assist my purchasing decision for my use case.

Kuji's video showed that V13 is comparable to Master in acceleration, which is actually useful because we all know what the Master can do at this point. You don't need to ride like him to apply this information. It's because of this information that when I stepped on the V13 and couldn't crank it, I knew it was a ME problem and not a wheel problem - I knew that instead of waiting to find yet another review to make up my mind, I just needed more time with the wheel.

For me, as it turns out, the reviewers whose videos that have helped me in my buying decisions were Madpack, Kevin (e-rides), Frenchusa, and Duf. After owning the the wheels, I discovered that some of their opinions are aligned closer to mine than others. 

I starting to like what Dawn has to say. But I can't be sure the usefulness until I can confirm with my actual ownership experience of said wheel.

Correction. For Marty, it is every Gotway/Begode/Extreme-Bull wheel that is larger than 16", with the exception of the mten series. It is Chooch who raves about every wheel, hoping to maximize the number of viewers who would use his affiliate links.

Denis is a dealer. But he trashes wheels. What gets me is that his seriously negative opinions are not even shared by many. Crazy.

So you like reviewers that talk a lot and ride casually. Nothing wrong with that but splitting hairs or over-analyzing such reviews tends to be a waste of time IMO, especially for a high performance wheel. Opinions change all the time but the wheels themselves don't, which is why I'm saying hard data is most important. If I were to shop for a sports car to drive casually to work, I don't need someone to tell me how easy or not it is to use the radio or turn on the AC - I can do that myself on the test drive. I would want someone like the Stig to pin it around the track (out of my intended purpose and skill level) to evaluate its performance compared to others in the same category with data such cornering ability, engine behaviour/acceleration, braking, etc., so that I know what it's strengths and weaknesses are, what I'm actually paying for, and if there's anything I should watch out for if one day my use case changes and I want to push it a little.

I don't know if you're on other platforms but I'm finding that there's a big part of the community not on these forums that only use Telegram/FB/IG and these are the places where (if you're willing to sift through the drama), you find many more reviews/tests of wheels under real use cases by riders of all skill levels. A lot of riders don't have the time to make nice Youtube videos but their opinions are valuable due to their riding experience and hence you only find this on those platforms.

• Upvote 1

Road design, speed rating for a road/cycle path.

Perhaps a pedestrian, bicycle path, is not designed for speeds of 50mph / 80 kph.

A silent EUC, passing from behind, at high speed, on a narrow path.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_speed

Geometric features

The design speed chosen for a high-speed roadway is a major factor in choosing superelevation rates and radii of curves, sight distance, and the lengths of crest and sag vertical curves.[citation needed] Roads with higher design speeds require wider lanes,[2] sweeping curves,[2] wider recovery areas,[2] broader clear zones,[2] steeper curve banking,[citation needed] longer sight distances,[citation needed] and more gentle hill crests and valleys.[citation needed]

Roads and streets with lower design speeds require narrower lanes,[2] sharper/tigher curves,[2] smaller or no clear zones,[2] less banking, less sight distance, and sharper hill crests and valleys.[citation needed]

Edited by Paul A

I read all the comments on the high speed run(s) on the bike path. Many expressed concern on the safety aspect.

Some saw no problem at all with the proceedings.

Marty pushed back on most, but grudgingly pledged to “do better” in the future. And of course Dawn’s response above.

Heres the link to the clip on ew-tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqbevoSPKFQ

As one forum member pointed out to me before, no amount of finger wagging will prevent riders from riding unsafely around others. It is, indeed a sad fact and inevitable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, conecones said:

Yes, until a different smaller rider makes a video saying its hard to accelerate, and then you're going to be confused again. This is the problem with subjective opinions without data. Our V13 tester isn't big or heavy and blows the socks off everyone when riding his stock-everything Abrams. Skill & confidence with the wheel has the most to say about what a wheel can or can't do.

Irrelevant since I already witnessed what a small and light rider, who was on her first ride, can do in acceleration on a V13.  And I saw how she did it. That is enough data for me. No confusion whatsoever. I got a useful data point.

Kuji's video showed that V13 is comparable to Master in acceleration, which is actually useful because we all know what the Master can do at this point. You don't need to ride like him to apply this information. It's because of this information that when I stepped on the V13 and couldn't crank it, I knew it was a ME problem and not a wheel problem - I knew that instead of waiting to find yet another review to make up my mind, I just needed more time with the wheel.

Kuji's video provided you a useful data point, that's great. But it provided me nothing though.

You are making an assumption that Kuji was able to max out acceleration on both wheels, and his data would accurately apply equally to you as a rider.

Dawn also felt she could accelerate harder on her Masters than on the V13 she got from Marty, at least for the time being. 

So you like reviewers that talk a lot and ride casually. Nothing wrong with that but splitting hairs or over-analyzing such reviews tends to be a waste of time IMO, especially for a high performance wheel.

Not what I said.

I watched and heard what the reviewers say, and on hindsight after having owning the wheels in questions, I compare notes.

For example, like many of us, I watched many reviews, read many posts on social media, do my due diligence prior making a purchase. Madpack went out of his way to say how great the V12 was. He also hyped the Abrams way beyond what others would say it is. So it is very hard to believe his words. I am sure that there are plenty of riders out there who don't think the V12 nor the Abrams are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

As it turned out, after owning them, what do you know, I really like the V12, and also the Abrams, at least up to this point. A lot of the over-the-top things he said I found them to be true, at least in my use case. Who knew. One small example. He claimed that the V12 is similarly agile as an Inmotion V8. When I heard that in his video, I go whatever, right. Guess what, I found that my V12 is more agile than my T3, and I don't need a wheel more agile than my V12.

Another example, take Duf in his top speed tests. He makes trial runs after trial runs while all being recorded. I could see how he got his top speed.

Edited by techyiam