MCM5 initial review

@dudenasI just got mines today and definitely agree with your findings. Compared to my other 2 wheels, MCM5 is harder to grab and lug around with that wide top handle and trolley design. I couldn't make the speaker work and will be checking if it actually comes with one. IIRC, there we're several versions of the v2. Wrongway reviewed one with the old right-side only grab handle.

The lights are very dim as pictured here next to my mten3. I might actually be defective. 

I only have 5 LED modes on mine. If you can compare and cross-check.

1. All-red moving blocks  

2. Single solid switching-color block on front only and not moving.

3. Multi colored moving blocks.

4. Solid color block in front and static + colored moving blocks in the rear

5. Almost same pattern as #3

Let me know what other modes I'm missing. Any other MCM5 v2 owners that can chime in, I'd appreciate the input.

MCM5 light.JPG

Edited by Surfling
  • Like 2

If you have ones that came with Bluetooth speakers you should be able to connect by going to your music playing device’s settings (like your phone’s Bluetooth settings) and finding the Bluetooth connection through that way. You don’t go through the manufacturer’s app for this at all.

also if you have the Bluetooth module in your wheel, you should faintly be able to make out a blue/red light combo near where your left foot would be on the side of the wheel. Visible only really in darker settings. 

7 hours ago, Denny Paul said:

also if you have the Bluetooth module in your wheel, you should faintly be able to make out a blue/red light combo near where your left foot would be on the side of the wheel. Visible only really in darker settings. 

Ah, I'll check on this. Thanks

Bluetooth connection with MCM5 shows on the phone settings but sound doesn't transfer. Happens sometimes with other devices - I'm just a bit impatient. 

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, Surfling said:

Ah, I'll check on this. Thanks

Bluetooth connection with MCM5 shows on the phone settings but sound doesn't transfer. Happens sometimes with other devices - I'm just a bit impatient. 

Thanks again.

There’s two separate Bluetooth options

gotway_12345 is not music, it’s for the app to talk to the wheel for statistics and settings.

gotway_music is for playing music. If you don’t have this available then it’s probably cause you don’t have the Bluetooth add on. It didn’t come standard. I think eWheels made sure that all their Mcm5 came with bigger foot plates and BT speakers. Dunno about other places.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Denny Paul said:

gotway_music is for playing music

K, so, gotway_music does not show on my phone.  'likely, don't have that BT upgrade on this one.  

For the price I paid ($1199 at Freemotion), I think I'll settle without it. Less to fiddle with and according to other reviews, the sound wasn't that great either. A porta-mini BT speaker will suffice my needs. 

Now, pondering about that dim light.

Edited by Surfling

17 hours ago, Surfling said:

I only have 5 LED modes on mine. If you can compare and cross-check.

Yup, you're right. I was confused by EUCworld app, where it lists 10 modes. All after mode #5 are actually the same.

So only 15 clicks are needed after accidental mode change :)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Surfling said:

the sound wasn't that great either. A porta-mini BT speaker will suffice my needs. 

Yeah. i can confirm sound is crap compared to nearly any dedicated bt speaker. Thin, tinny, and muffled. 

• Like 1

So finally got to open the MCM5 and can confirm that this v2 version from Freemotion doesn't have a speaker for bluetooth music. A piece of cardboard covers the speaker socket.

Rode it last night and also found that the light brightens up on acceleration. Goes back to dim when static or hand-pushed on the trolley. I added a light diffuser lens to spread the light beam 3x wider. Will likely fiddle with it for something brighter.

Actual tire width measured 2.3" with about 25 psi. A 14 x 3 tire replacement in on the way. 

Ride-wise, definitely fits my needs between the 16x and mten3. 

1428746120_MCM5a.JPG.3f8a1b7d4d1dd14b0a07acadce4b60e6.JPG

1648370614_MCMb.JPG.cfce7e8087509895d34dea936a05d229.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Surfling said:

Actual tire width measured 2.3" with about 25 psi. A 14 x 3 tire replacement in on the way. 

1428746120_MCM5a.JPG.3f8a1b7d4d1dd14b0a07acadce4b60e6.JPG

1648370614_MCMb.JPG.cfce7e8087509895d34dea936a05d229.JPG

hope you saw this thread before you get started too much. the smallest 3" tire is a tight fit, and requires a bit of dremel'ing 

Edited by Denny Paul
  • Like 1

On 8/25/2021 at 11:49 PM, Denny Paul said:

hope you saw this thread before you get started too much

Yup, I did. Good lookin' out, tho.

I usually research first before diving into a project. I own 2 trusty dremels kitted with all the bells and whistles.

Ordered that same CYT 14 x 3 which was stated as actually 2.8.

Also, will relocate the power switch, add power key-lock, and change the pedals. 

I'll post an update when it's done.

Edited by Surfling
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been so impressed by the upgrades @Surfling @houseofjob@Denny Paul have made on the MCM5 that I placed a deposit on the upgraded version from eWheels recently. I really want a lightweight, small, zippy ~16" wheel and I think the MCM5 with upgraded tire will do nicely. Plus, it's relatively inexpensive given the skyrocketing prices.

However, given the recent logistics delays and Tucson fire, I'm reconsidering. @Jason McNeil mentioned that the Begode/Gotway 900wh batteries had a reputation as a fire risk. I believe the MCM5 V2 has an 800wh pack, but am concerned it could carry the same risk. I live in a dense multistory building, and would not want to be liable for millions in damages or injury to others.

Have any of you made any mods to reduce battery fire risk?

On 10/31/2021 at 2:08 PM, Jason McNeil said:

Thanks everyone for your kind words of support. It's really not necessary, or desired, to start a GoFundMe campaign; over the years we've built up a contingency reserve for dealing with a disaster of this kind.

After the similar EUCO incident, we reviewed the storage/handling procedures for battery packs, with particular focus to the 900Wh Begodes—storing them in a low humdity industrial refrigeration unit—it's too early to say what the cause of fire was, but ruling out external factors, those packs are certainly the prime suspects.

The timing could not have been worse: we've been working on a Begode 900Wh battery recall program for some time. The first 100x LiTech replacement BMSs were shipped out weeks ago, stuck in the Christmas jam, with an additional 1000x BMSs being shipped by sea. Now that this service capability is wiped-out in a flash, does not leave much room for maneuver.

Contemplating how we're going to rebuild from this disaster is too just daunting right now. I've been slaving away for eight years now, without a salary, life, etc, everything earned has been reinvested back into the business. It is so tempting to draw a line in the sand & be done with it. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, litewave said:

I have not done any battery mods but as a precaution, I charge my wheels covered with a welding blanket, in the bathtub, under the shower . I live in a tiny apartment.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, litewave said:

I personally think the mcm5 is the best in the small 16" class. Also I think they use 18650 cells, which are more reputable than the 21700 cells when talking about EUCs

I have 5 wheels, see profile if you're curious which, but gotways are my favorite. I charge em here in my apartment. I know where the fire extinguishers are in the building, but I'm really not worried about fire risk. My understanding is that there's usually signs before things go catastrophically bad like a runaway fire. Signs like being banged up to the point of having dents in battery packs, water damage, failing to charge to the correct voltage, etc. Additionally, failures are also more likely to happen more with newly launched wheels. Or with any wheel that's brand spanking new, like under like 100 miles of use, as a result of a manufacturing defect / short circuit.

I guess its a bit like hedging my bets, but none of my wheels fit this criteria, and I sleep soundly at night.

• Like 3

On 11/3/2021 at 1:28 AM, litewave said:

I have been so impressed by the upgrades @Surfling @houseofjob@Denny Paul have made on the MCM5

Thanks!

It's funny how my post has seemed to set off a bunch of mods, as I'm pretty sure we were all thinking the same thing, but not many were gung ho about attempting the mod before, what with no precedence and with all the cutting involved.

That said, my next attempt is to obtain @EUCyou pedal raisers and try to fit as fat a tire as I can into my new TeslaV2 :lol::lol:

On 11/3/2021 at 1:28 AM, litewave said:

However, given the recent logistics delays and Tucson fire, I'm reconsidering. @Jason McNeil mentioned that the Begode/Gotway 900wh batteries had a reputation as a fire risk. I believe the MCM5 V2 has an 800wh pack, but am concerned it could carry the same risk. I live in a dense multistory building, and would not want to be liable for millions in damages or injury to others.

Valid concern, but I'm not sure I've seen incidents with 84V 18650 cell wheels much(?) as all the issues have seemed to be with the use of 21700 cells in 100V wheels. I don't think the 84V wheels in general make the same demands as their 100V counterparts, as incidents are much more with the latter (bad battery cell / poor nickel strip welding incidents, bad cooling smoking FETS, etc.)

Only real way to ensure the battery QC really is to get a 20S 84V Gotway BMS and legit pure quality Nickel strips and spot weld the thing yourself.

One day, I have dreams of buying a 20S smart BMS and spot welding some packs of Moli P42A's or Sammy 40T's to get the ultimate setup!

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, diegoxxx said:

Hi I would like to change the tire to the mcm5 v2 modification, will this tire diameter fit after modification? tire size 3.00-10 42j 

It is probably too wide. 14x3.0 and 76-254 would be a better bet.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/5/2021 at 7:33 AM, houseofjob said:

One day, I have dreams of buying a 20S smart BMS and spot welding some packs of Moli P42A's or Sammy 40T's to get the ultimate setup

lol you dream about great stuff 🤣🤣

• 7 months later...
29 minutes ago, Josenb said:

I’m really trying to decide between the mcm5 and the kingsong 16. It will be my first. Any suggestions? Will be using for fun and a little bit of commuting 

Could have made new post in "Which Electric Unicycle to get?" to get most non bias replays. :D (Maybe ask a admin to move post?)

All i can say my dad got the 16s 840 battery. And he rides everyday to work. Be it raining outside, or snowings in winter, he rides. No problems yet..

How fast do you wanna ride? 16s can do ~30kph really. As riding wheels "max" speed isn't so great. - Fastests way to get faceplant. If you need more speed get bigger wheel.

Also how smooth is the road where you ride? 14vs16" isn't much difference, but still.. Also think a little bit - will 30kph speed do it for you??? Are you 100% sure? Maybe spend little bit more and get 18xl, or something like that. It's better to get more powerful euc than you really "think" you need.