INMOTION V12

Mike Roe

Today my MOSFETs burned. I took the wheel out, I put it in split mode acceleration 100%, braking 30%. I liked the way it brake. Changing it to 30% made it much easy to brake faster. While I was doing some braking, it cut out on me. This was the first time I had a cut out. The second cut out it burned the MOSFETs. The wheel is dead. The screen was still on, but the wheel could not stay straight. 

Edited by Paul g
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, Paul g said:

The second cut out it burned the MOSFETs. The wheel is dead. The screen was still on, but the wheel could not stay straight. 

Okay now that's done, I got to admit it was making me uncomfortable to read you kept riding it including in traffic.

I hope your ass is okay tho!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Paul g said:

Today my MOSFETs burned. I took the wheel out, I put it in split mode acceleration 100%, braking 30%. I liked the way it brake. Changing it to 30% made it much easy to brake faster. While I was doing some braking, it cut out on me. This was the first time I had a cut out. The second cut out it burned the MOSFETs. The wheel is dead. The screen was still on, but the wheel could not stay straight. 

Paul - Spread the word.  Your V12 is a marvelous machine except for the motor controller.  Each of hundreds of early V12 motor controllers has a short service life, exactly your experience.  Find a YouTube video of a V12 going through the woods at 40 miles-an-hour - imagine what happens when a MOSFET fails at 40 miles-an-hour.

The manufacturer didn't review the V12 before going to production and one bad component slipped into an excellent design.  Until EUC manufacturers include pre-production reviews EUC buyers are post-production testers of everything that can fail.  

EUC manufacturers will improve; MOSFET failures, battery fires, foot-rests falling off will be rare.  BUT . . . Until EUC manufacturers improve EUC users are post-production testers looking for problems - the hard way.

Research private aircraft built pre-WW2.  EUC manufacturing is destined to improve in a similar way except the crashes are less serious.

8 hours ago, supercurio said:

Okay now that's done, I got to admit it was making me uncomfortable to read you kept riding it including in traffic.

I hope your ass is okay tho!

I didn’t had a fall until now, I managed to jump off on my feet, so my ass is OK, thanks.    

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cress said:

Paul - Spread the word.  Your V12 is a marvelous machine except for the motor controller.  Each of hundreds of early V12 motor controllers has a short service life, exactly your experience.  Find a YouTube video of a V12 going through the woods at 40 miles-an-hour - imagine what happens when a MOSFET fails at 40 miles-an-hour.

The manufacturer didn't review the V12 before going to production and one bad component slipped into an excellent design.  Until EUC manufacturers include pre-production reviews EUC buyers are post-production testers of everything that can fail.  

EUC manufacturers will improve; MOSFET failures, battery fires, foot-rests falling off will be rare.  BUT . . . Until EUC manufacturers improve EUC users are post-production testers looking for problems - the hard way.

Research private aircraft built pre-WW2.  EUC manufacturing is destined to improve in a similar way except the crashes are less serious.

The conclusion I draw is they learn slow and make a lot of big good decisions, but also a lot of big wrong decisions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evans036 said:

folks, do we have any idea of the percentage of batch 2 v12's that have burned their mosfets at this point?

Only Inmotion could possible have correct statistics.

• Like 1

I look forward to 1) side-by-side comparison of old vs new boards and 2) visual comparison of mounting at heat sink for old vs new boards and 3) Identification of the MOSFET on new board and 4) any related information forwarded from Inmotion and/or any major Distributor.

I'll send email today to Jason at eWheels.com asking if he has anything to add.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Cress said:

I'll send email today to Jason at eWheels.com asking if he has anything to add.

I'm hoping ewheels will cover also for having their authorized repair person do the board swap  

• Thanks 1

Adding another item to the list of weird behaviours that my V12 has:

- Screen turned off mid-ride. When I came to a stop, wheel immediately shuts off (no sound indicator). I swear I read about this happening to someone else before but can't find the post. Anyway here are the other glitches:
- "Please Repair" alarms when accelerating/braking hard. Does not come on regularly. Sometimes occurs when not braking/accelerating hard at all. Hard to replicate consistently.
- "Overload, please get off" alarms. Same condition as above.
- Headlight randomly stopped working after motherboard swap. Had to open unit and re-plug connectors.
- Headlight flickers in Auto mode when wheel is not 100% stationary (like when on a bus/train). Auto high beam is set to 10km/h+ so that shouldn't be the cause.
- Split mode settings resetting (resolved by itself when using touchscreen only while wheel is on).

Anyone else experience the first few? At this point I've decided that if I faceplant again as a result of board failure, I will return the wheel and never come back to Inmotion as a customer. Months later without an official recall notice or a "do not use device if SN begins with #" announcement, I am not letting this $3000 investment sit unused in the garage for months while waiting for another "improved board" which would likely still require months of actual customer testing before we can definitely say its fixed. I cannot in good faith sell this to anyone, so I will just ride it and leave it up to the cut out gods <_<

• Sad 2

@conecones absolutely understandable - everything.

I believe that the replacements board will arrive sooner than later tho. Since it'll be on everybody's and their distributor's radar, failures with the new board will be identified without delay, and reduce the amount of time before as a community we could trust the fixed V12 or not.
On the basis that you also have Nikola+ and RS19 HT listed on your profile, I'd like to make a new attempt at gently nudge you to ride these in the meantime 😊
Also because the mechanism you describe matches the sunk cost fallacy. What do you think?

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, supercurio said:

@conecones absolutely understandable - everything.

I believe that the replacements board will arrive sooner than later tho. Since it'll be on everybody's and their distributor's radar, failures with the new board will be identified without delay, and reduce the amount of time before as a community we could trust the fixed V12 or not.
On the basis that you also have Nikola+ and RS19 HT listed on your profile, I'd like to make a new attempt at gently nudge you to ride these in the meantime 😊
Also because the mechanism you describe matches the sunk cost fallacy. What do you think?

replacement boards are coming for people who have already had catastrophic failure. There isn't one coming for the wheels that haven't died, and since I don't want to break myself I'm not going to ride mine until it does. The last official word I got was the Inmotion was confident in the spin test, and that was fairly recently. I'm not getting sold on internet rumors. Their public position is the position I am listening to. And the current message is "that's a YOU problem, we already have your money".

Edited by Silverfish

For consideration and comment and not an authoritative recommendation for @conecones electrical issue: Duck-Oil (Europe) and ACF-50 (when you can't find Duck-Oil) is used as anti-corrosive on electrical connections and exposed metal in  everything that flies, drives or floats, despite anti-corrosive products not being universally approved by electronics manufacturers (the open issue is circuit boards and associated components).  

I'm looking for suggestions and comments related to Duck-Oil-kinds of anti-corrosive for EUC maintenance particularly EUC electrical plugs after the plug is mechanically clean.

Cost is more than $2.00 / ounce but the smell is wonderful.