Paris knowledge?

Paddylaz

So jealous! Since I'm in the US I doubt I'd ever be able to bring my own EUC on a plane so I would have to rent or borrow a wheel.

Ever since I read about the Promenade Plantée I have wanted to ride a wheel through it, although seeing it in the spring would be the best when everything is in bloom. Do we have any Paris locals who can say if that's possible? The site at http://www.mayq.com has several bike routes that might be useful for an EUC.

Don't forget your battery life and distance will be a bit lower in the cold temperatures. Be sure to give us a trip report when you return!

3 hours ago, dmethvin said:

Ever since I read about the Promenade Plantée I have wanted to ride a wheel through it, although seeing it in the spring would be the best when everything is in bloom. Do we have any Paris locals who can say if that's possible?

Yes, we did this "promenade" many many times in our "randonnées"...:)

From 1'40"...:

1 hour ago, dmethvin said:

So jealous! Since I'm in the US I doubt I'd ever be able to bring my own EUC on a plane so I would have to rent or borrow a wheel.

Ever since I read about the Promenade Plantée I have wanted to ride a wheel through it, although seeing it in the spring would be the best when everything is in bloom. Do we have any Paris locals who can say if that's possible? The site at http://www.mayq.com has several bike routes that might be useful for an EUC.

Don't forget your battery life and distance will be a bit lower in the cold temperatures. Be sure to give us a trip report when you return!

Will do, and thank you for the idea!

• 1 month later...

I haven't been to Paris for at least 12 -15 years (used to run training course for our staff there) but two things did make a big impression, strangely enough only in Paris, elsewhere in France seems fine, with apologies to our Paris members):

1) Virtually every car in Paris had panel damage. 

2) Zebra crossings appeared to have absolutely no meaning at all. It came as no surprise to see a teenage girl badly injured on a crossing just outside the Gare du Nord on my arrival one time.

Hopefully things have improved since then but I'd certainly stick to pedestrian/cycle paths and be very careful anywhere there are cars as well.

Having visited a parisian friend during my honeymoon many years ago and having him take us to the train station for our return journey it's not surprising that parisian cars get dented.

Let's just say we were a little late for our train due to heavy traffic and it is the first time I ever traveled in a car along a pavement and across a pedestrian crossing where the pedestrians are supposed to be.

It also involved running up the inside of a line of traffic taking the nearside door mirror off of a taxi cab and having a very irate taxi driver chasing us on foot up the grid locked road.

An experience never to be forgotten but my French friend treated it like an everyday occurrence. 

Yeah parisians are notoriously abrasive drivers. Dated someone a few years ago who lived in Montmartre and was amazed at how many cars were a) dented, and b)crap cars (presumably because of the fear of A)

Looking forward to riding in the champs de mars. Theres a video on youtube of someone on a solo wheel extreme cruising up alongside the Eiffel Tower. Looks fantastic although weather might be touch and go.

23 hours ago, Keith said:

I haven't been to Paris for at least 12 -15 years (used to run training course for our staff there) but two things did make a big impression, strangely enough only in Paris, elsewhere in France seems fine, with apologies to our Paris members):

1) Virtually every car in Paris had panel damage. 

2) Zebra crossings appeared to have absolutely no meaning at all. It came as no surprise to see a teenage girl badly injured on a crossing just outside the Gare du Nord on my arrival one time.

Hopefully things have improved since then but I'd certainly stick to pedestrian/cycle paths and be very careful anywhere there are cars as well.

I often go to Paris, one of my best friends lives there. And I concur, getting into mixed  traffic with you EUC is not a good idea. stick to parcs and promenades and along the Seine at the level below the streets next to the water.

• 4 weeks later...

My Paris trip, having been delayed several times now (was originally meant to go in Jan!) is now booked and 100% confirmed for 13th - 15th March. Very excited about getting back to the City of Light. Hopefully the weather will be tolerable.

If anyone is around let me know. Will try and get some video if I find any nice euc spots for future travellers. Obviously the champs de mars is a must for that Eiffel approach money shot :P

• 2 months later...

@paddylaz

Did you come to Paris?

I just read your post today and it's a pity i did'nt red this before!

There is a nice forum for EUC in France called "Esprit Roue":  https://www.espritroue.fr/

Parisian wheelers meet every friday for a 20-40 Km ride: for example: http://fr.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=12786939

Please tell us if you come to France through our forum: you will be able te meet wheelers from all France 

See you soon!!

On 11 May 2016 at 2:39 PM, ertoc2 said:

@paddylaz

Did you come to Paris?

I just read your post today and it's a pity i did'nt red this before!

There is a nice forum for EUC in France called "Esprit Roue":  https://www.espritroue.fr/

Parisian wheelers meet every friday for a 20-40 Km ride: for example: http://fr.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=12786939

Please tell us if you come to France through our forum: you will be able te meet wheelers from all France 

See you soon!!

Hi! Yeah I did come to Paris but only had time for a brief afternoon on the wheel as my schedule changed abruptly. I had a fantastic time zooming around the Champs De Mars, although I didn't take any photos stupidly. But yeah it was fantastic.

Thanks for the info about the forum, I had no idea there was one...... I will definitely be in Paris again sometime this summer so will let you know!

On ‎05‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 8:35 PM, Gimlet said:

Let's just say we were a little late for our train due to heavy traffic and it is the first time I ever traveled in a car along a pavement and across a pedestrian crossing where the pedestrians are supposed to be.

It also involved running up the inside of a line of traffic taking the nearside door mirror off of a taxi cab and having a very irate taxi driver chasing us on foot up the grid locked road.

An experience never to be forgotten but my French friend treated it like an everyday occurrence. 

You are probably right but Rome is worse as far as I remember... My advice would be to NOT use a wheel on roads, only on the sidewalks unless you are really used to Paris. Also, biking is not recommended everywhere.

Archived