Kingsong S18 Firmware Upgrade Problems

Taylan

Hey All,

Just got an Kingsong S18 took it out of package and charged fully. Installed Kingsong App from Google Playstore and tried to access my wheel however; App directly promted for firmware upgrade to v2.06 and I've clicked OK. Done all these steps like 2 hours ago and app still tries to upgrade firmware and I can't see any progress bar. Should I be worried that I've bricked my wheel? 

Cordially, 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Taylan said:

Hey All,

Welcome!

20 minutes ago, Taylan said:

Should I be worried that I've bricked my wheel? 

Normally firmware upgrades should be resumable and restartable, in case something goes wrong like in your case.

Could be that EUC World has a better/more stable implementation of the firmware update process.

At least his servers in poland should be better and more reliably reachable as KS Servers in china.

In some cases firmware updates unfortionately go really wrong - like some time ago serial numbers vanished. In such a case the reseller should be able to help out - there exists a "developer/engineer" app for resellers (account needed) were quite anything can be repaired?

Btw: if it's from aliexpress and has a P in the serial number you could have just bad luck:

But these wheels should just get "locked" and not bricked...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Welcome!

Normally firmware upgrades should be resumable and restartable, in case something goes wrong like in your case.

Could be that EUC World has a better/more stable implementation of the firmware update process.

At least his servers in poland should be better and more reliably reachable as KS Servers in china.

In some cases firmware updates unfortionately go really wrong - like some time ago serial numbers vanished. In such a case the reseller should be able to help out - there exists a "developer/engineer" app for resellers (account needed) were quite anything can be repaired?

Btw: if it's from aliexpress and has a P in the serial number you could have just bad luck:

But these wheels should just get "locked" and not bricked...

Hello There Chriull, 

Thanks for the warm welcome :) Fortunately my serial has F letter so I think, I'm clear about that. On the other hand, I also have Euc World application but that application says that "Your unicycle is not supported" at the Firmware Update section as well ass Firmware Downgrade Section. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Taylan said:

Hello There Chriull, 

Thanks for the warm welcome :) Fortunately my serial has F letter so I think, I'm clear about that.

Great!

1 minute ago, Taylan said:

On the other hand, I also have Euc World application but that application says that "Your unicycle is not supported" at the Firmware Update section as well ass Firmware Downgrade Section. 

This could be a bad sign, if the wheel cannot identify itself properly to EUC World. (...and KS S18 are supported by EUC World...)

Maybe @Seba has some additional knowledge on how this could be repaired by EUC World, but i'd assume your way to go is:

13 minutes ago, Chriull said:

In such a case the reseller should be able to help out - there exists a "developer/engineer" app for resellers (account needed) were quite anything can be repaired?

If your reseller is not able or willing to fix this @Jack King Song from KS should be your last resort!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

Great!

This could be a bad sign, if the wheel cannot identify itself properly to EUC World. (...and KS S18 are supported by EUC World...)

Maybe @Seba has some additional knowledge on how this could be repaired by EUC World, but i'd assume your way to go is:

If your reseller is not able or willing to fix this @Jack King Song from KS should be your last resort!

I'll directly contact with my reseller, thanks for all the Information Sir! :) 

• Like 1

KS has an iOS app called SoftTuner that is for firmware... log in as guest. But if the wheel isn’t identifying itself properly that app isn’t likely to work any better. Might be worth a try if you have access to iOS.

• Like 1

Yes worth a try, I had a KS app FW update fail, and SoftTuner managed to shoehorn in a working version. Beware the versions, in that mode you can upload any version including wrong FW AFAIK.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I had exactly the same problem. Even worse I was on a subway when I hit the upgrade confirm button. The headlight turned on at the brightest level while the wheel turned into a brick. I had to clumsily carry the 25 KG brick all the way across subway station, flashing passengers with it's super strong headlight, and pretending nothing is happening...

I waited for 1-2 hours but the screen just stuck at a picture of running circles and no progress. I shut the app and restarted multiple times, it immediately resumed upgrade and got stuck again.

Then I tried my wife's iphone app. Phew, % bar was just moving. 2 minutes later upgrade completed. 

Better to have both android and iphone.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I have installed the update to V2.07, haven't noticed any difference other than the wheel beeps more on turning on etc so maybe it is doing more checks on start-up but I don't know. I did have  the Firmware update stall at 1-3% and wouldn't complete so I switched off the EUC. When I switched it back on it gave a long beep but wouldn't work. Using the Kingsong app it showed Firmware 1.0 (i was on 2.06), I proceeded to installing the new firmware again (2.07) which this time completed and everything works as before.