New to this but I want in!

Owen

The more conviction you have, the more you should feel safe in spending as much as it takes for a quality wheel. You won't end up with just one, so no need to buy for the future while ignoring the now. I'd suggest a well proven design that sits squarely and safely in the middle of the specs arena. You havent mentioned intent or background in activities, so we can't offer much suggestions. I guess... dig deep, as saving a few pennies now, will only piss you off very soon thereafter.  Buy once, cry once, get over it and enjoy! Verifiy quality if buying used. Don't be a chintzy f**k, buy from a reputable dealer. It helps the industry and minimizes the worry. Fwiw, my first and fav wheel is a Ks18L. Sometimes a solid 'do it all' wheel of comfort just can't be replaced, only supplemented.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

I 2nd the 16X vote for a good 1st wheel to learn on, and keep and enjoy afterwards even as you add more wheels to the collection. From 1st hand knowledge, the 16X is a great wheel for big guys. I haven't tried the 100V Gotway Nikola, but from what I've read here and seen on videos, I would put it in the running also for the same reasons as the 16X. It may not be quite as torquey, but it is said to have a robust body for the tumbles that will surely come, and it goes a bit faster. As a beginner, speed is not a real need. The 16X is quite fast enough to get hurt on. Be that as it may ... you have no doubt seen this in the videos.

Edited by Scottie
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Planemo said:

starts a flame war with the 16" boys now

:efee8319ab:  :eff034a94a:  That would be a real concern. But I think most around here enjoy the different sizes, or will in the future!  .... he whispers back!

• Like 1

I 3rd the 16x:)  But maybe consider the Tesla, it has pretty good specs too, the 16x was my first wheel, I actually took lessons on a smaller wheel so when I hopped on the 16x for the 1st time, it felt super heavy but 30 minutes later, it felt fine.

• Like 1

This place is fantastic (because I agree with all the recommendations). I went with the 16XS because I fancied riding trails off road more than roads on road and the slightly wider tire plus the touch more torque you get from the smaller wheel made sense. And the smaller wheel might be a little more nimble than the more comfy 18"ers. Folks have mentioned that you'll end up with more than 1 wheel though, so I interpreted that as instruction to go for something that allows me to try out several different kinds of riding and make the second wheel the 'specialty' one. The things I deprioritized were top speed (30 mph still seems suicidal), super long range (some regret about the half battery in the XS but easily fixed and the second battery arrives tomorrow), and tricks.

In the end, I did like the styling of the 16X better than the rounder Nic and 18X/XL, and never gave the MSX serious enough consideration based on looks (the well used ones on YT seemed to be slathered in baby bumper and duct tape).

Do budget for a roll.nz cover if you can. It really protects against the drops and crashes and I do believe it helps keep water at bay. Not waterproofing by any means, it's a wetsuit after all, but it does slow the water down. And budget for protective gear. I'm allergic to rehab so as I rediscovered what it's like to fall on pavement, the gear investment got unexpectedly expensive (expensive full face helmet, moto pants and jacket. the skate gear is great until you get the hang of it, then you're able to enjoy higher speed, less controlled, and 'bigger' crashes)

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, stephen said:

We've all been there watching videos and I still do tbh ,, I've had several wheels now and my favourite has been the kingsong16x,  great battery great torque, very sturdy,  good for beginners and pros ,,, that's just my observation, I'm sure you'd be happy it's been my best wheel to date

Yeah that’s about what I’ve boiled it down to Kingsaong 16, Gotway Nikola or the V11 . Of course I’d LOVE a Sherman but that’sa little TOO serious

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Owen said:

Yeah that’s about what I’ve boiled it down to Kingsaong 16, Gotway Nikola or the V11 . Of course I’d LOVE a Sherman but that’sa little TOO serious

Well thats an easy fix. DO you want suspension and all the maintenance that goes with? Of the 3, the v11 is your biggest risk of getting a solid performer. Its probably a great wheel, but isnt proven. Between the Gotway and Kingsong, you could roll the dice... odds gotway, evens kingsong. Im a fan of kingsongs algos, but thats just me. All 3 wheels you are on the fence about are good choices. Since this first wheel won't be your last and only.... break the piggy bank, empty your pockets and just buy one... tis a gamble no matter what!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

The more conviction you have, the more you should feel safe in spending as much as it takes for a quality wheel. You won't end up with just one, so no need to buy for the future while ignoring the now. I'd suggest a well proven design that sits squarely and safely in the middle of the specs arena. You havent mentioned intent or background in activities, so we can't offer much suggestions. I guess... dig deep, as saving a few pennies now, will only piss you off very soon thereafter.  Buy once, cry once, get over it and enjoy! Verifiy quality if buying used. Don't be a chintzy f**k, buy from a reputable dealer. It helps the industry and minimizes the worry. Fwiw, my first and fav wheel is a Ks18L. Sometimes a solid 'do it all' wheel of comfort just can't be replaced, only supplemented.

I plan on just rolling around the neighborhood initially, once I get familiar is like to take it places and explore like parks and other places and  I’m not big on speed so 20 mph is plenty for me .....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Owen said:

I plan on just rolling around the neighborhood initially, once I get familiar is like to take it places and explore like parks and other places and  I’m not big on speed so 20 mph is plenty for me .....

haha, yeah. EVERYONE says 20mph is enough... and then pretend they forgot. I also figured I'd never see 20mph. Any of those wheels will be a solid performer for basic tasks. For a first wheel, a good all rounder is the way to go. Your second and third wheel will be more application specific. Don't underestimate the savings of buying a good used wheel, as lots of people are chasing the grass is greener syndrome. Take advantage of that if you can. Fun times await, you just gotta take that plunge.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

This place is fantastic (because I agree with all the recommendations). I went with the 16XS because I fancied riding trails off road more than roads on road and the slightly wider tire plus the touch more torque you get from the smaller wheel made sense. And the smaller wheel might be a little more nimble than the more comfy 18"ers. Folks have mentioned that you'll end up with more than 1 wheel though, so I interpreted that as instruction to go for something that allows me to try out several different kinds of riding and make the second wheel the 'specialty' one. The things I deprioritized were top speed (30 mph still seems suicidal), super long range (some regret about the half battery in the XS but easily fixed and the second battery arrives tomorrow), and tricks.

In the end, I did like the styling of the 16X better than the rounder Nic and 18X/XL, and never gave the MSX serious enough consideration based on looks (the well used ones on YT seemed to be slathered in baby bumper and duct tape).

Do budget for a roll.nz cover if you can. It really protects against the drops and crashes and I do believe it helps keep water at bay. Not waterproofing by any means, it's a wetsuit after all, but it does slow the water down. And budget for protective gear. I'm allergic to rehab so as I rediscovered what it's like to fall on pavement, the gear investment got unexpectedly expensive (expensive full face helmet, moto pants and jacket. the skate gear is great until you get the hang of it, then you're able to enjoy higher speed, less controlled, and 'bigger' crashes)

Thank you! And a cover is exactly what I’ll need  . Don’t worry I’ll be wearing every conceivable piece of protective equipment I can find ... not with  the rehab either

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

haha, yeah. EVERYONE says 20mph is enough... and then pretend they forgot. I also figured I'd never see 20mph. Any of those wheels will be a solid performer for basic tasks. For a first wheel, a good all rounder is the way to go. Your second and third wheel will be more application specific. Don't underestimate the savings of buying a good used wheel, as lots of people are chasing the grass is greener syndrome. Take advantage of that if you can. Fun times await, you just gotta take that plunge.

Well I’m just trying to have fun without the hospital bills lol and you’re right this won’t be my last. You mentioned used euc’s ... do you know of some reputable places

• Like 2

Gear up for sure is what I recommend, much to my wife's distaste after seeing her frown after I purchased my wheel I watched the frown turn into a scorn after I bought a full faced o'neal helmet and some Leatt clone ATV knee\shin guards, beefy wrist guards a must as well.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Owen said:

Well I’m just trying to have fun without the hospital bills lol and you’re right this won’t be my last. You mentioned used euc’s ... do you know of some reputable places

Watch the forum here for smooth deals. Most our members that have ANY sort of prescence here, arent out to lie/cheat steal (as far as I've seen). Anything used is 'buyer beware', but thats not much different than buying from some random ass overseas joint now is it? Luckily our batteries can be verified by apps, and its routine to ask for proof of 100% charge. Aside from shopping known members, I frequent e-wheels. Yeah, they make a decent markup, but holy shit do they freaking earn it. Quite frankly, I feel badly for anyone having to play middleman between us and the chinese market. Fwiw, I've had TONS of fun for over a year and havent seen a hospital so far. Of course I'm accepting that risk per my riding habits, and I've now jinxed myself. Don't worry too much, the level of serious risk you take, is VERY dependant on how you approach the learning and riding style thereafter. Many people ride responsibly and enjoy the less risky style, and suffer nary a serious injury for thousands of miles. Of course, some people dont make 5 miles and realize its not their cup of tea. You being on this forum and asking questions, makes me think you arent one of those people. Lucky for us used buyers, sometimes a 5mile wheel can be found at a steal, as some lawyer realized its not as simple as they thought.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

37 minutes ago, Rich Sam said:

I watched the frown turn into a scorn after I bought

Are you worth more dead than alive (aka: you have life insurance)? Otherwise the significant other should be delighted you're so into self preservation.

13 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Are you worth more dead than alive (aka: you have life insurance)? Otherwise the significant other should be delighted you're so into self preservation.

My wife simply said "you're going to kill yourself on that thing". She made zero attempts to stop me or lecture on safety gear. We have no life insurance, so that in itself tells the story doesnt it? She has been instructed to sell my shit, as gigolo's can be costly. I must admit, there's still time for her to be absolutely right. TO her credit, she refuses to wear any safety gear as she learns the scooter. The nerve of some people!:eff034a94a:

Edited by ShanesPlanet

8 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

That is exactly what I said to her!  Did not help though :wacko:

2 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

My wife simply said "you're going to kill yourself on that thing". She made zero attempts to stop me or lecture on safety gear. We have no life insurance, so that in itself tells the story doesnt it? I must admit, there's still time for her to be absolutely right. TO her credit, she refuses to wear any safety gear as she learns the scooter. The nerve of some people!:eff034a94a:

Wow, I got same reaction as well.  I think she was genuinely shocked when I picked it up right away.  She still reminds me of my mortality however.

• Like 1

If I may, I currently have an InMotion v8 & have been riding for a year.  Like others have said, you quickly outgrow the initial wheel ... unless it is a mid to upper class wheel.  The v8 gets up to 18mph (statistically), I've gotten up to 15mph once, trying to get out of traffic.  I've learned then you need a wheel that can go when you need it to.  It's terrifying to have a truck bearing down on you & your trying to get off road & the wheel starts beeping at you incessantly & you know your about to face plant the pavement if you push it any more. 

For me I'm seeking the longevity.  Power when I need it but mainly longevity.  The v8 simply cannot get very far in a head wind nor very fast.

So I'm kinda in the same boat as the OP, only a bit further along in my experience.  I need to upgrade.  I've been waiting for months for the right time to purchase the InMotion V11, I have the down payment already there, I have the rest already saved up.  Now I'm getting cold feet.  I feel as though I'd spend more time & money repairing the wheel than riding it.  I'm considering the V11 to be the rich mans fix-it wheel.  Kinda like the classic Mercedes Benz, a great car but way too often in the garage than out on the road.

In my extensive research, I still feel Gotway has work to do on their FW in order to gain my trust so I'm still shying away from them.  InMotion doesn't really have anything in the ballpark of a 1554 Wh battery & a 2200 W motor other than the V11.  So I'm leaning toward Kingsongs 16X or 18XL.

This is where my question comes into play & hopefully will help the OP in his decision as well.  Both of these wheels have the same battery & the motor, both get nearly the same distance (listed as 65mi for the 16X & 70mi for the 18XL, reality I think is more around 45 & 50 respectively).  Both are about the same weight (51lbs & 53lbs respectively).  The difference in these two wheels is the size of the tire & the looks.

The 16X has a 3" wide, 16" tire (reviewers have described it as thick or beefy enough to be considered a 17" tire).

The 18XL has a 2 1/2" wide, 18" tire.

Now, as I mentioned I've been riding for about a year on a v8 with a 1.875" wide tire.  Not enough to know anything other than how to balance on the wheel basically.  I will ride this new wheel mainly as a commuter on the streets.  But with the longevity of the 1554 Wh battery, the wheel may take me to yet unknown places & I might find some off-road trails ... I dunno.  I feel very comfortable at 12-14 mph & I'm sure these KS wheels will take me to the 18-22 mph range but I don't have a desire to reach the maximum 30 mph that these KS wheels can perform.   Which is why I didn't mention the Veteran.

I'm struggling with 16X as I've never tried a 3" wheel & the YT describing such is either you love it or you hate it.  The 3" wheel tries to steer you & it's more difficult to turn.  I don't have a 16X nearby I can try.  I don't want to invest in the wheel & find myself hating it.

I'm struggling with the 18XL as the YT describes it as a nice smooth wheel but you don't have the nimbleness of the 16X.  It's a cruiser that you can't carve with easily.  Perhaps I'm imagining more of a street bike than a mountain bike.  Around town traffic, the mountain bike is great.  Get out on the open road & you really want the street bike.  Get off the road & the mountain bike is the better option.  Hence, the slower you are go, the 16X.  The faster you go, the 18XL.

In terms of looks, I like the look of the 16X with the brake lights positioned where they are.  It's a little boxy & you tend to stand a little bit apart when riding.  I have to assume the difference here would be the difference between a broad-shouldered person & a slender person.  The broad-shouldered person tends to stand with feet further apart, aligned with their shoulders if you will.  For some reason I don't like the headlight/taillight switching thing on the 18XL.

So, for those who've ridden both the 16X & the 18XL, in your expert opinion, which wheel do you like better & more importantly, WHY?

[Edit] Forgot to mention, EVx mentioned here ...

Why not get both?  Well I may end up getting both but I don't have $4k laying around right now.  It's taken me 18 months to save up the $2k for the V11 purchase.

On a side note, I find it better to pay $5,000 in protective gear than $25,000 in hospital bills.

Edited by Hangman
  • Like 1

Im biased and my vote is for the 18xl. Of course Im also tall and have fallen in love with my 18L. You cant go wrong either way. As far as nimble, I would suspect its more about the skill of the rider than the small variances between those two.

• Like 1

likewise biased but I've never ridden anything other than the 16.

4 hours ago, Hangman said:

The 3" wheel tries to steer you & it's more difficult to turn

I wouldn't be afraid of the wide tire. Wider tires in general tend to tramline more than narrow ones, but I think the jury is finding that the tire profile and tread pattern makes a big difference in how 'badly' it'll want to follow cracks in the road. My stock H666 can decide it wants to follow a crack, but not so much that I avoid them. The wheel is not at all difficult to turn on the H666, again I think tire profile has a lot to do with this. "Nimbleness" on the 16 is a common term used by owners and reviewers, the wheel turns *real* well. I went with the 16's wider tire because it should (haha) provide a teeny tiny bit better 'float' in soft surfaces.

4 hours ago, Hangman said:

reality I think is more around 45 & 50 respectively

Check @Marty Backe's range test videos, don't quote me on this but I think he got over 60 miles on the 16X, I don't know how well the 18 did. I'm basically a bird so my range experience is applicable only to fellow birds, but at 25 km/hr on level ground in calm winds at sea level EUC World says I'm burning 12 maybe 14 kWH/km. Using do-not-walk-home conservative math, I should get over 100 km at that speed. Unless you're presenting a large sail area or going uphill both ways (don't laugh, that's how it was when I was a kid and we were walking to school in blizzards, promise) I'd up your range expectations a bit.

I know, none of that drivel is terribly helpful.

ee-ne mee-ne my-ne mo...

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Hangman said:

I'm struggling with the 18XL as the YT describes it as a nice smooth wheel but you don't have the nimbleness of the 16X.  It's a cruiser that you can't carve with easily.  Perhaps I'm imagining more of a street bike than a mountain bike.  Around town traffic, the mountain bike is great.  Get out on the open road & you really want the street bike.  Get off the road & the mountain bike is the better option.  Hence, the slower you are go, the 16X.  The faster you go, the 18XL.

In terms of looks, I like the look of the 16X with the brake lights positioned where they are.  It's a little boxy & you tend to stand a little bit apart when riding.  I have to assume the difference here would be the difference between a broad-shouldered person & a slender person.  The broad-shouldered person tends to stand with feet further apart, aligned with their shoulders if you will. 

I think you have summed it up pretty well here. You have an advantage over the OP @Owen in that you are already riding and are now thinking more in terms of the type of riding you want to do. As a practical matter, and more realistically, are you going to find yourself on the street or dirt more often?? Is the mountain bike (16X) or the street bike (18XL) going to be needed more in your riding style or preferences? But, just like the mountain vs street bike, the 16X and 18XL can cross into each others territories a good bit (that means a lot).

11 hours ago, Hangman said:

So, for those who've ridden both the 16X & the 18XL, in your expert opinion, which wheel do you like better & more importantly, WHY?

I am going to have @Tawpie help me answer this. I was going to say the same thing but remembered he beat me to it ... follow that link. You may want to read that thread from the top too. But in an effort to try to answer your question on a more personal level, I will throw in a little more confusion, but not on purpose! :efef3d5527: I like the 16X slightly better because I am about 250 lbs and like to horse around often. The 16X rules here. My horsing around is pretty lame for most riders, but my 250 lbs makes the wheel feel like it is working. When I want to go somewhere on an errand, like to CVS, I will take the 18XL because for just cruising to the store, the 18XL is a little better for the speed stability and walking around inside the store (it is a little narrower).

I find the 18XL a bit harder to pull off a nice sharp U turn because the body shape does not let my legs tilt steer the wheel as sharply as the 16X. It is not a problem at all for just gettin' around. But the 16X wins by a good margin for me in maneuverability.

So it circles back to what you want to do, like what Tawpie said over at the other thread. Maybe think of the 16X as Darth Vader's wheel. And think of James Bond on an 18XL. Sorry if I made it worse! 

P.S. I'm watching @Mike Sacristan on the TV as I'm typing and he is back on the 16X right after getting it running again. He says, "The main feature is, it's nice." I have to agree. It is a delightful feeling wheel. The problem for you is that they both are, in their own way. There, I made it worse again. Try not to pay attention to me!

• Like 2