V11 Intense Vibration When Not Moving

EUChristian

I was installing clark pads today when suddenly my V11 starting intensely vibrating while not riding or even being on it. There is a slight play between the suspension when you are holding the handle and rock it back and forth. For some reason when I rock it back and forth suddenly it's like it "catches" and starts violently vibrating. Rocking it hard back and forth causes it to stop and start. When turning it off it will continuously to vibrate like it is still on until I wobble it hard and then it stops. What can this be?  Any thoughts?  Loose control board?  Pedal hangars?  

Here is the video I made:

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

You've enabled Chainsaw Mode :lol::lol::lol: (I agree with @Ádám Szitás, loose pedal hangars probably)

giphy.gif

Once I figure put how I enabled this secret menu I will let you know.  Now people will hear me coming lol 😆

Edited by EUChristian
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Never apply blue loctite to anything near plastic. Its been documented that it could weep into micro-fissures and expand. You end up with plastic powder. Be sure typical loc-tite only touches metal parts. For any plastic, you MUST use thread locking compounds that specifically say are made for plastics.  Personally I think all of this is quite rediculous to have to worry about on such a new product. I use bees wax on threads that go into plastics and/or brass inserts inset into plastics.. :)

Very important reminder! The bolts in question are however only connecting aluminum with aluminum. IIRC the bolts can’t even be completely removed without detaching the motor from the shell.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Quoted for absolute truth.

Well it was the community that asked for removing the locktite, so they can remove the bolts easier when needed...same story as the first Z bearings that got changed because of community request. Looks like sometimes it's really just better to ignore requests...

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Ádám Szitás said:

its the screws that hold the housing to the motor came loose, if you remove the side panel you can see them, 4 deepest scews 

Could someone possibly give me the time stamp on Marty's teardown video?  I cannot figure out which set of screws these are. So many thanks. I hate when my wheel is down. Its like having a sick child...

42 minutes ago, EUChristian said:

Could someone possibly give me the time stamp on Marty's teardown video?  I cannot figure out which set of screws these are. So many thanks. I hate when my wheel is down. Its like having a sick child...

13:30, note you only have to remove the plastic saddle cover in order to get to them, nothing else.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2021 at 7:25 PM, Ádám Szitás said:

13:30, note you only have to remove the plastic saddle cover in order to get to them, nothing else.

You were 100% correct sir thank you. Completed last night. In case anyone ever searches for this issue I want to note I contacted ewheels who stated this could be a loose pedal or also the suspension bracket that the pedal bolts to was missing spacers. Turned out neither was it - @Ádám Szitáswas right. However your issue may be one of those too so check that as well. As Adam noted you only need to pull the saddle for these issues- nothing else. 

I did not add locktite however as it is near impossible to extract them fully without removing other things. 

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 1/25/2021 at 12:18 AM, EUChristian said:

I was installing clark pads today when suddenly my V11 starting intensely vibrating while not riding or even being on it. There is a slight play between the suspension when you are holding the handle and rock it back and forth. For some reason when I rock it back and forth suddenly it's like it "catches" and starts violently vibrating. Rocking it hard back and forth causes it to stop and start. When turning it off it will continuously to vibrate like it is still on until I wobble it hard and then it stops. What can this be?  Any thoughts?  Loose control board?  Pedal hangars?  

Here is the video I made:

Hi ,  My V11 has exactly the same problem did you manage to find out what was the problem of yours and how did you fix it ?

Many Thanks 

3 hours ago, Abdul said:

Hi , my V11 has the same problem , did you manage to fix yours ? What was the problem? How did you fix it ? 
many thanks 

A

? @EUChristian posted his solution just above your post 

On 2/3/2021 at 1:15 AM, EUChristian said:

You were 100% correct sir thank you. Completed last night. In case anyone ever searches for this issue I want to note I contacted ewheels who stated this could be a loose pedal or also the suspension bracket that the pedal bolts to was missing spacers. Turned out neither was it - @Ádám Szitáswas right. However your issue may be one of those too so check that as well. As Adam noted you only need to pull the saddle for these issues- nothing else. 

I did not add locktite however as it is near impossible to extract them fully without removing other things. 

If this is not your problem and/or does not solve your problem it seems to be different in your case?

So if you describe it someone can maybe help.you?

Edit: just reread this topic - the problem was solved in the second post, the pist before yours was a "thank you" for the tipp and a listing of possible other reasons for this...

Edited by Chriull
  • Like 2

On 1/25/2021 at 2:38 AM, Ádám Szitás said:

its the screws that hold the housing to the motor came loose, if you remove the side panel you can see them, 4 deepest scews on each side

I had the same problem today and guess what, found out 3 out of 8 screws were missing :cry2:

Anyone knows where to find them please? Especially if any shop in Finland from which I can buy?

On 5/29/2021 at 11:04 PM, Steven007 said:

I had the same problem today and guess what, found out 3 out of 8 screws were missing :cry2:

Anyone knows where to find them please? Especially if any shop in Finland from which I can buy?

Missing?? That’s nasty!

I bought stainless M6x20 allen bolts from IKH, but Motonet, Bauhaus, K-Rauta and the likes sell the same kind of bolts as well.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Missing?? That’s nasty!

It was shocking to find how the bolts could loosen and finally fall off over time :cry2: given I'm not a trail nor speedy rider. My wheel had both M6x20 and the smaller M4x20 in the same area MISSING, geez!

14 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Missing?? That’s nasty!

I bought stainless M6x20 allen bolts from IKH, but Motonet, Bauhaus, K-Rauta and the likes sell the same kind of bolts as well.

Thanks so much, M4x20 allen bolts were also found from Motonet.

• 5 months later...

Thanks for the advice about the loose motor bolts. You saved me hours of pointless strip down and testing. I repair EUC's and the shaking problems I have seen so far are caused by Hall Sensor failure in the motor. I was going to test the Hall Sensors, but now - no need to do that. The strip down to get to the Hall Sensor plug is fairly complex, just from looking at other videos on the internet. [I do not own any EUC's or ride them, hence the "King Song" text in my profile.]

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Hi, I'm having same problem with vibrations. I followed the suggestion of tightening motor screws, and indeed, 5 (of total 8) screws were loose, out of which 3 were extremely loose. I tightened them. However the problem was not resolved.

As you can see, that metalic part connected to pedals and handle are also moving and when it reaches certain amplitude - violent vibrations start. For example, when standing still I feel small vibrations from the motor, when I push wheel with handle those big vibrations start. Also they start when I'm accelerating on the wheel.

The only way to kill wheel is just to let it free spin, as turn-off button and kill switch are not working during vibrations.

Can I make that metalic part not move at all?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Auris said:

Hi, I'm having same problem with vibrations. I followed the suggestion of tightening motor screws, and indeed, 5 (of total 8) screws were loose, out of which 3 were extremely loose. I tightened them. However the problem was not resolved.

As you can see, that metalic part connected to pedals and handle are also moving and when it reaches certain amplitude - violent vibrations start. For example, when standing still I feel small vibrations from the motor, when I push wheel with handle those big vibrations start. Also they start when I'm accelerating on the wheel.

The only way to kill wheel is just to let it free spin, as turn-off button and kill switch are not working during vibrations.

Can I make that metalic part not move at all?

Are the suspension rails very loose? If you have the wheel powered off and upright, and trolley handle down, does the handle of the wheel move back and forth separately to the body of the wheel?

To have the saddle part (that includes the handle) to not move “at all” means that the suspension doesn’t work either. So it has to be just right.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Are the suspension rails very loose? If you have the wheel powered off and upright, and trolley handle down, does the handle of the wheel move back and forth separately to the body of the wheel?

It seems not loose when I drag it powered off. But if I quickly shake it or try to move while powered on it seems moving a little bit at the top.

At times of changing directions (back/forward) while moving - motor starts to make sounds and at some point it goes crazy:

1 hour ago, Auris said:

At times of changing directions (back/forward) while moving - motor starts to make sounds and at some point it goes crazy:

The control board measures the angle and reacts by controlling the motor (accelerate or decelerate). The algorithm assumes a fixed and stable connection between the motor (axle) and the control board.

Once anything inbetween is loose it can create such an excessive oscillation.

Seems you have to controll all the physical connection pieces - all screws fixed, no structural damages (cracks, etc).