Studded Hex-Pedals for 16X?

lioku

I've been doing a bunch of off-roading on my 16X. The winter mud really ruins the grip of even super course Vicious grip tape.

Studded pedals look like the best solution to this, preferably with holes that allow dirt to fall through. The NyloNove pedals look great, but a 16X version won't be ready until this spring, if at all.

Has anyone here successfully fitted any of the various studded hex pedals on their 16X?

Edited by lioku
  • Like 2

At some point last year eWheels was experimenting with a non-hex studded insert for the 16X but it's not on their website that I can find. @Marty Backe has a video on it. There are also a couple other videos that reference sources but I wasn't able to find those either. Somebody has a nice neighbor that made a custom set for them, but that seems to be the only route thusfar.

If Nylonove set a schedule and asked for pre-payment in full, I'd be signed up for sure. (hint hint!)

Edited by Tawpie

Would you have a link where they can be ordered? The upside down boot studs I’m using work great but they keep ending up on actual boots instead of my wheel??? I’d love to be able to at least shop for a set of dedicated pedals. Thx.

4 hours ago, DiZZy said:

I use the Teknika4 16X spiked pedals.

Oh these look like a nice option. The grip tape seems a bit redundant though, and hard to replace. I might just strip that off after it gets muddied the first time.

Do your pedals close fully when the Teknika plates are installed?

Beauty. Really. I need to brush up on my Russian. Do you mind sharing the cost of  the hextech pedals?

The reason I ask is because if I can afford them I’ll ask my Russian speaking coworker to help me make the purchase... but I don’t want to waste his time if we get to the end and they’re a bazillion rubles.

thx!

Edited by Tawpie
Explain why the cost question

Begode's new adjustable pedals look pretty good. The 16X pedal hangers are 50mm wide. I wonder if these would fit.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001776668654.html

I wear pretty thin soled Vans style shoes, so I worry that the more intensely grippy spikes on the Hextech and Teknika4 pedals would be uncomfortable.

Hc09f6868a0d544f9b67a5422ab7e0bfe5.jpg

Edited by lioku

9 hours ago, Tawpie said:

Beauty. Really. I need to brush up on my Russian. Do you mind sharing the cost of  the hextech pedals?

The reason I ask is because if I can afford them I’ll ask my Russian speaking coworker to help me make the purchase... but I don’t want to waste his time if we get to the end and they’re a bazillion rubles.

thx!

It was 220usd + 40usd delivery cost to finland. The seller speaks english too.

2 hours ago, lioku said:

I wear pretty thin soled Vans style shoes, so I worry that the more intensely grippy spikes on the Hextech and Teknika4 pedals would be uncomfortable

You can always switch the spikes to less sharp or grind them flatter. Or take them all off.

• Like 1

Speedyfeet says their inserts only fit the original 16X pedals, not the XL ones that eWheels was kind enough to install. Darn.

Still waiting for my 'studded' grip tape to arrive though... multiple experiments going on (very pleased with the upside down boot stud things but concerned about durability). I put the HexTechs on my birthday wish-list :dribble:

@Yxzygäilijä How are they holding up? Yours don't look like you crash at all!! I'm still a learner so I drop the wheel at least once every time I ride and while I don't need show room looks, I rather not have a pedal strike bend them. I'm guessing they'll get pretty banged up until I get the hang of off-road.

Edited by Tawpie
wordsmithing

On 1/4/2021 at 8:54 PM, Tawpie said:

:dribble:

@Yxzygäilijä How are they holding up? Yours don't look like you crash at all!!

I took those photos right after I installed the pedals and changed the side panels. And I crash a quite often, mostly at a forest trail.

they are very durable. Solid cnc-machined aluminum. You can't really break them unless you crash at really high speed. Of course you will get some scratches when you fall, but you shouldn't worry about it. These pedals don't have any coating, so you can't see the scratches so easily, because it is same color on the surface and inside the pedal.

On 1/2/2021 at 4:26 PM, Yxzygäilijä said:

I have Hextech pedals. They are great and grip with studs is excellent, even when you get snow and dirt on the pedals.

IMG_20210102_231806_199IMG_20210102_232053_599

Easy to figure out where to drill the pin stop and sizing for hole/ tap?

• 5 months later...
12 hours ago, Tawpie said:

I’ll know soon… stock arriving in two weeks (then wait for delivery from RU!)

I ended up just getting the murlin studded plates instead. Sold wheel this month they worked great tho. Really lock you in place

Hextech's look nice, but I want longer and wider in the front part. My feet protrude about 5 centimeters in front and from the side and, yes, I scrape the floor from time to time when doing very hard curve.

I plan to make a 3d model and have someone cast or laser cut a pair for me.

And is it only me or all things EUC accessories are way too expensive? I feel like buying parts for my 100k car (not that I have one :D )

Edited by Aztek
  • Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 10:27 PM, Aztek said:

And is it only me or all things EUC accessories are way too expensive?

I suppose it's a matter of perspective... IF they were made by a large manufacturing firm, these pedals are very expensive. But they're not, and all of the not-for-a-bike-or-motorcycle accessories I've purchased are produced by very small enterprises... mostly by individuals in their garages. Consequently I do expect them to be expensive—and am happy to pay the added cost. If it weren't for these folks, there'd be nothing. I don't mind that they make a decent profit, to me their willingness and ability to make this stuff is worth quite a bit and if I were a maker-seller, I'd be certain I was profitable too!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 1/2/2021 at 11:26 PM, Yxzygäilijä said:

I have Hextech pedals. They are great and grip with studs is excellent, even when you get snow and dirt on the pedals.

IMG_20210102_231806_199IMG_20210102_232053_599

So sorry for bringing up older post.

But i have to know, are those Hextech pedals installed on orginal ks16X pillars? Or how did you install them, orginal pillar beam also?

And are there washers on both sides of pillar hand?

The washers are aftermaket, or from orginal pedals?

Thanks.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

I'm still waiting for mine... but can say that the stock 16x has no washers so they must be aftermarket (hopefully supplied with the pedals!)

If you want these, be prepared to wait a long time! The things I'm willing to put up with to pimp my ride...

They fit the original pillars and everything you need is supplied with the pedals except the tools you need to make threaded hole to the pillar.

4 hours ago, Funky said:

And are there washers on both sides of pillar hand?

yes.

13 minutes ago, Yxzygäilijä said:

They fit the original pillars and everything you need is supplied with the pedals except the tools you need to make threaded hole to the pillar.

yes.

What do you mean: threaded hole to the pillar? This?>>

123333.png

Do you need that hole?

What are the pedal angle versus the orginal black pedals? Same or more agresive?

(More closed or opened pedals?)

I don't need to do anything? I simply can change pedals and they work with original pillars?

Thanks <3

Edited by Funky