V11 with issues day 1 (internal scratching noise, pinched battery cable🤦🏻‍♂️)

Ronin Ryder

Received my v11 and day 1 something is scratching on the inside of the wheel (only one side, video below). if i put the wheel on the side, and i pull gently the whole shell/cover of the wheel the noise disappears, once i stop the noise is back. it seems like the motor is scratching against the shell.  Anyone had this issue before? Euco is asking me to pay shipping to send it back for servicing...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHj233aAoPT/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Edited by Ronin Ryder
  • Like 2

Mine died today also, on the first day.  On my first ride I got about 15 feet, there was a big POP.  It went dead and won't turn on now.  Mine is also from EUCO, so I wonder if I'll get the same answer on shipping?   That's really annoying on brand new $2K purchase.  

• Like 1

Make sure your rim is true (straight, no wobble[rim]). A bend in the rim can cause the tire to be very off center at the point of/near the damage.

Make sure your tire is properly seated (straight, no wobble[tire]). Not likely, but I am not sure how tight it is in the inner shell with the stock tire

Make sure you do not have a loose bolt on motor (that is my guess, based on the video)

Inspect inner shell for debris or other irregularities

1 hour ago, gon2fast said:

Make sure your rim is true (straight, no wobble[rim]). A bend in the rim can cause the tire to be very off center at the point of/near the damage.

Make sure your tire is properly seated (straight, no wobble[tire]). Not likely, but I am not sure how tight it is in the inner shell with the stock tire

Make sure you do not have a loose bolt on motor (that is my guess, based on the video)

Inspect inner shell for debris or other irregularities

i spent a good amount of time checking with a flashlight, i didnt see anything special. screws and rim seem ok, no wobble. However i can confirm the noise scratching is happening on the mid to upper side of the shell, and only when a certain part of the wheel reaches it, unfortunately i cannot see at all. It would require to disassemble the wheel to go further i guess. Not keen at all to do this on a wheel i barely rode 20 min, and even then the V11 is awfull to disassemble...It looks like the scratching side of the shell is sitting a little bit closer to the wheel than the non scratching side, as i can see way better on the inside from the non scratching side...Not sure if this is related though. 

Edited by Ronin Ryder

I think there is only one more thing you can do. Take a piece is string, a shoe lace for example, and try to pull it through the noisy spot while the tire is turned to the spot that makes the noise.

If you manage to free some packing material or other stuff that doesn’t belong there, you just saved yourself the shipping costs. If not, further examination would require disassembling the wheel.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, JBinBalt said:

Mine died today also, on the first day.  On my first ride I got about 15 feet, there was a big POP.  It went dead and won't turn on now.  Mine is also from EUCO, so I wonder if I'll get the same answer on shipping?   That's really annoying on brand new $2K purchase.  

What are they doing for you, are they replacing it? I’m going to be getting one and I’m not sure where to get it from. 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2020 at 5:55 AM, JBinBalt said:

WTF...! Really?! Does Inmotion really not test the wheels before removing them from the factory??? Where the h**** is the quality control?

• Like 3

I don’t think QC means “checking and test driving every single individual product before shipping”. It’s easy to understand that none of the EUC companies have the resources for that.

46 minutes ago, ElectriQ User said:

No, I'm not new, but at one point many praised Inmotion for quality but now .... I'm really disappointed.

Due to a single incident? You really need to look things within a context. As disappointing as a single issue can be to the owner, if it is indeed the only issue of that kind from THOUSANDS of units, we are looking at a QC marvel that should be applauded and awarded. Failure rate < 0.1% is well below statistical noise.

The unfortunate bearing issues of the first and even the new bearings of the second batch are very well known and a constant source of discussion. Yet my estimate still sets the failure rate at just a few percents, tops.

Ecodrift has often published the annual failure rates of the wheels they sell and repair for warranty. Some models have reached 15%.

Besides, the issue of the topic can very well be just a piece of packaging material that somehow found its way between the motor and the shell. If that’s all it takes for you to be “really disappointed” in Inmotion, you probably feel exactly the same way towards most manufacturers of any products.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

On 11/23/2020 at 5:47 PM, Over9k said:

What are they doing for you, are they replacing it? I’m going to be getting one and I’m not sure where to get it from. 

No they will not replace it at all. They will just repair it or send you needed parts if you can proceed to the repair yourself. If a technician certified by them wouldnt be in NY, id have to ship it to their repair center at my own cost.  Apparently ewheels does the same according to their wheel warranty conditions though i got mixed feedback on this. I'm wondering if i will not buy my next wheel to chicway or any cheap ali express vendor at a much cheaper price and just send to repair technician at my own expense if i have an issue next time and cant fix...Paying the shipping is an artificial raise of the price. Im still debating about this. The wheel is at the repair technician place now.

Edited by Ronin Ryder

That’s crazy, i actually emailed ewheels about this issue, i told them how yours had died after riding it a few meters and this is what ewheels said. 

“ With any product you buy there's a statistical failure rate. The V11's has been quite low, with early-batch issues resolved in the later shipped V11s (motor, bearings, saddle hardware, among others). If something like a catastrophic failure occurred right out of the box, we'd cover shipping back to us and either repair the issue or ship you a new one. 99% of warranty issues can be taken care of by shipping you parts, free of charge to you, of course. Our support is second to none, - the idea being you should be confident in making a purchase from us!”

That’s horrible i was actually about to buy from EUCO cus honestly they’re website looks a bit more polish than ewheels but then again I’m new to this and am in the process of ordering my first euc. I’m sorry that’s horrible customer service on EUCO part. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Over9k said:

That’s crazy, i actually emailed ewheels about this issue, i told them how yours had died after riding it a few meters and this is what ewheels said. 

“ With any product you buy there's a statistical failure rate. The V11's has been quite low, with early-batch issues resolved in the later shipped V11s (motor, bearings, saddle hardware, among others). If something like a catastrophic failure occurred right out of the box, we'd cover shipping back to us and either repair the issue or ship you a new one. 99% of warranty issues can be taken care of by shipping you parts, free of charge to you, of course. Our support is second to none, - the idea being you should be confident in making a purchase from us!”

That’s horrible i was actually about to buy from EUCO cus honestly they’re website looks a bit more polish than ewheels but then again I’m new to this and am in the process of ordering my first euc. I’m sorry that’s horrible customer service on EUCO part. 

My issue doesn't apply to this. Its not a catastrophic failure. It didnt die. Just annoying scratching noise when riding. It's a grey area, where do you put the cursor? Nonetheless i think i should have received a new wheel instead of going through this. Not the case so im taking this as a learning lesson for my next purchase thats all, weighting pros and cons. Hoping i can get that fixed and move on. 

Edited by Ronin Ryder

The horror story continues on my v11! New issue adding up : pinched battery cable🤦🏻‍♂️. Once again, out of the box, brand new. i really pulled the wrong number on this purchase!! 

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CIHPvDEn7xv/?igshid=lromvzsvasq6

Edited by Ronin Ryder

• Ronin Ryder changed the title to V11 with issues day 1 (internal scratching noise, pinched battery cable🤦🏻‍♂️)
On 11/26/2020 at 10:45 PM, Over9k said:

They do make it clear in their warranty information that the warranty only covers the battery control board and motor. They also have to charge shipping, its 150$+ everytime anyone thinks something is wrong, they cant eat that cost.  And obviously you wont recieve a brand new wheel, they dont even have enough wheels to fullfill their orders nevermind to dole out replacement wheels left and right.  Talk is cheap, my buddy got an 800$ bill for his "warranty repair" from ewheels. The reality is these are all still small buisnesses that need to pinch every penny, be prepared to fight in any warranty dispute

• Like 1

On 11/23/2020 at 5:47 PM, Over9k said:

They've actually been very good about it.  Initially they were initially going to take it back and repair it for me, and they sent me a shipping label .  However, I'm in Baltimore, so they pivoted and asked me to send it to to someone in Philly who does work for them.  It's closer, and I'm sure cheaper to ship.  When I realized that was an option, I asked if it could be repaired at AMP in DC (https://ampcollectivedc.com/) since that's even closer to me and I go to DC often.  I've bought wheels from AMP, but they don't sell InMotion.  EUCO and AMP worked it out and I'll be taking it there.  The only issue that they have no replacement boards in stock, so I'll have to wait a few weeks for that.

All things considered, I'm pretty happy with how they handled it.  They would have covered my shipping if necessary.  However, keep in mind that mine quit almost immediately of the box on same the day I received it.  If this had happened after a few days, weeks or months of active riding they might have required me to pay shipping per their policy.

• Like 1

Seems like it was the shell rubbing on the motor. Im 2 weeks out without being able to ride since I sent the wheel at the repair shop. New shell will be sent, 1 more week (sent with usps instead of fedex) . Time to repair after that, maybe another week. Im clocking probably an extra month after receiving the wheel that i rode 1h max. And im not even sure if a new shell will fix the rubbing issue. We can only know when its installed. Im so glad i didnt pay 400 extra usd for airshipping when i ordered it. At this point i already forgot about this wheel. Once this is over, im thinking of making a video explaining the whole experience because people need to know that when they order they can potentially end up receiving a lemon and be stuck for a while without being able to do anything. For any electronic product including scooters that wouldn't be the case, an exchange would be done on the spot for out of the box issues. 

Edited by Ronin Ryder
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

More than a month has passed and the wheel is still being checked at the repair shop, mainly due to how this was handled by euco. I wrote them today to request for a refund as they have my cash since late August and i still have no wheel. If they refuse, which im expecting, ill take that matter to my bank.  I really hope they will let it go as im tired of this. 

Edited by Ronin Ryder
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Ronin Ryder said:

More than a month has passed and the wheel is still being checked at the repair shop, mainly due to how this was handled by euco. I wrote them today to request for a refund as they have my cash since late August and i still have no wheel. If they refuse, which im expecting, ill take that matter to my bank.  I really hope they will let it go as im tired of this. 

Sorry my heart goes out to you here. 

Did you find out what the issue was? My V11 has an internal rubbing noise very similar to what you describe. It’s intermittent but when it happens I get a scrape sound on every revolution. I’d guess it’s about 20 degrees or rotation. Sometimes if I bounce the suspension it goes away. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2020 at 11:05 PM, pattymac said:

Did you find out what the issue was? My V11 has an internal rubbing noise very similar to what you describe. It’s intermittent but when it happens I get a scrape sound on every revolution. I’d guess it’s about 20 degrees or rotation. Sometimes if I bounce the suspension it goes away. 

Its the shell that scratches against the motor. If you remove the shell you will see nasty paint scratches on the motor. You are the second one escalating me this issue. Must be a batch issue...Replacing the shell didnt fix, next in line was to install a new motor. Suggest you get this fixed, there could be some side effects, you don't wanna find out at 25mph in traffic🤷🏻‍♂️

Regarding my V11, i returned it. There were too many issues for a new wheel, was taking to much time go fix to be acceptable. I need to sell the never used v11 clark pads v2 i bought for it now. Will get a Sherman instead. I'll miss the suspension though. 

Edited by Ronin Ryder
  • Like 1