Hollow bore motor bearing failure Thread

The new smaller bearings are a lot cheaper for top quality ones. Last time I checked they were around $50.00 us for one skf. The larger ones were about $350.00 us for one skf. My RS had a bearing failure at 100 miles. It is the first generation 2nd batch. The cheap bearings are easier to pop the seals off and grease them with proper grease. The cheap bearings usually have petroleum jelly for lubricant and shitty seals. It wasn't difficult to repack them before use. I now have about one year and 1500 miles on my cheap replacement bearings. My RS has had mixed use. Now that I have a monster pro the RS is mostly used off road. If you ride through the snow and slush in the city it's not the snow that will ruin the bearings, it's the shitload of salt used to melt the snow and ice. Marine grease does a good job of protecting the bearings. If you ride through the salt mixture it is advised to thuroghly rinse the wheel and probably regrease the bearings.

9 hours ago, Boris Lämpel said:

No one reported new issues regarding hollow bore motors.

So can we say that at least the new Begode motors whith the smaller hollows are safe to ride and to maintain?

7 hours ago, EMA said:

i've not hear any kind of problems with latest gen, i have personally both version (EXN) with small and big bearing with 5000+km and they are running fine without issues

smaller bearings are for sure muuuch cheaper and easier to buy, so it was very good Begode decision. 

But.... im also curious if this issue with noisy bearings still exist in new Begode motors. In v11, even newest batch, this issue still exist.

Maybe some more users here - who use new generation Begode motors with smaller bearings, could say something more about their reliability?

I know that riding conditions are important, but in older motors with axle bearings were also not very well protected, and yet they last extremaly long without any care. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Greg X said:

In v11, even newest batch, this issue still exist.

What do you base this claim on? V11 comes with outer protection seal over the bearing directly from factory.

2 hours ago, Rawnei said:

What do you base this claim on? 

v11 september-october 2021r.

2 hours ago, Rawnei said:

V11 comes with outer protection seal over the bearing directly from factory.

wow, this is something new. 

Do You have any pictures ov video with this IM protection seal? Where to buy it?  Is it compatible with older versions of v11 ?

Edited by Greg X

13 hours ago, Greg X said:

Maybe some more users here - who use new generation Begode motors with smaller bearings, could say something more about their reliability?

we have a mix of small and big bearing here in Rome, mostly RS with some EXN and some EX, i faced:

• knock issue on 3 EX, self fixed with my spacers
  • knock issue on 1 first gen RS with big bearing also fixed with spacers 
  • 1 EX had faulty bearing after 8000 km ( 1 gen motor, not so noisy but vibration at high speed )
  • no other wheels had problems with noisy or bad bearing

basically most of the problems are related to the shitty covers of EX motor (they hold water and dirt like first gen RS )
motors with new covers, both small and big bearing, are running fine, not huge amount of data but that's it

Edited by EMA
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Greg X said:

v11 september-october 2021r.

wow, this is something new. 

Do You have any pictures ov video with this IM protection seal? Where to buy it?  Is it compatible with older versions of v11 ?

Can't tell what batch the first video is but second one doesn't seem to have an outer seal only the usual bearing seal.

If you have an older batch without factory installed seal you can 3D print one (or get someone to 3D print it for you, probably ready 3D printed being sold online), I'm sure you will find more information and pictures if you google for Inmotion v11 seal if you are really interested, there are two versions depending on which batch V11 you have since they changed bearing size in batch 3 or something like that.

Edited by Rawnei

10 hours ago, windowmaker said:

EXN with small bearing from batch received from Alien Rides on Dec 28. Bearing was making metal shaving noise after 500 miles that I only realized the first time I rode slow (never heard it otherwise with wind noise). Survived one month, replaced with SKF bearing. Good on Alien Rides, reimbursed me fully for the replacement.

Took off the bearing seal and found rust, with insufficient grease, which could have been a big reason for the early failure. 

I'm glad they reimbursed you - but i'm curious - how much $ did the repair run you?

My Monster Pro has the same bearings. I'm confident that all of the Gotway/Begode/ExtremeBull or whatever other manufacturer name they come up with hollow bore motors use this bearing. That is excellent in the fact that this size of bearing is used in enough applications the price for name brand parts is cheap.

• Like 2

RS = 2RS

RS = Rubber Seal = GOOD

LLU full contact rubber seal = GOOD

Don't buy ZZ (metal seal) or VV no contact seal, or  LLB low contact seals.

If the bearings you buy have a lot of play in them (either crap manufacture, ceramic, or they're designed like that) then it doesn't matter how great seals you have because the inner race moves so much that it can't maintain full contact = contamination. Same goes for mileage. As the bearing wears it develops play and the seals fail.

Edited by alcatraz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Just to add my experience there for bearing knocking.

I have the lastest version of the EXN with the small bearing 2300 km so far.

After my last run (wheel hot) I had a knocking sound when I was performing a free spin for testing purposes. Very noticable when doing a slow freespin. I put the wheel on it's side and by applying force on the rim with maintaining the pedal hanger, I can feel free play. The following day, wheel cold, there was no more noticable free play. Strange, I deceided to change the bearings anyway. Brought a good pair of new bearings. When I removed the one from the left cover, even with a the gun heater it was quit hard to get it off, but on the right side it felt on itself after heated the cover with the gun heater.

I replaced both bearings, reassembled the motor, the entire wheel before I discover this post.

It works fine for now, but the issue is that the bore on the right conver is too big giving play to the bearing when the motor is heating (the aluminium cover will heat faster than the solid bearing). If it comes again, I will apply some loctite special bearing glue to the outside race of the bearing to fix it. (Loctite 641 or equivalent should work fine).

Edited by Zrex90
  • Like 2