Correct shoes to wear

Kwing

I am sure it's been discussed before but I wanted to ask to all experienced riders, whether there is a recommended type of shoes to wear when riding? I am getting a bit of strain one side of the foot. I have a feeling it's my shoes or perhaps I am not positioning my feet correctly on the pedal. 

I  tend to wear new balance and lose enough to Slip in and out. Being the lazy me avoids bending down to tie my shoe lace at all cost  

Stronger , more rigid soles of the bottom of the shoe should relieve some of the foot pain. Needless to say the shoes should be comfortable. Foot position is very important too. Start with symmetrical position and experiment. Putting feet at a slight angle diverging towards the forward direction could help, when you are starting to feel the pain while riding, try rotating the foot while riding and the pain may go away.

6 minutes ago, Kevin Fung said:

How is that even possible..  lol 

Very possible for the first couple of minutes, until she breaks her neck :)

Actually she is not that good on  the wheel either, somewhat tense, and her knees were shaking when she tried to squat :) 

38 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Very possible for the first couple of minutes, until she breaks her neck :)

Actually she is not that good on  the wheel either, somewhat tense, and her knees were shaking when she tried to squat :) 

Come on, man.  I watched the video carefully.  She did just fine.  No AirWheel zombie here, no.  I didn't see her knees so much shake as they did change direction.  I await your high-heel video.  Me, I'm waiting until it is recognized as an Olympic sport before I dip my toe(s) into the ring. :)

8 minutes ago, dpong said:

Come on, man.  ... She did just fine.... I await your high-heel video...

Lol. I can do tricks too) i once drove my car in manhattan for about 4 minutes while playing guitar and signing at the same time. My goal was to play and sign the song without pausing and to continue driving including turns towards my destination at regukar soeed without stopping. Once i did this i understand that I am basically invincible :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/12/2015 at 4:00 PM, SlowMo said:

I still have to see a person riding an EUC on barefoot. That would look good as in this video. 

Skip to 27:03

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAWeGXF1AeE

I showed my son in law my airwheel Q3 and he wanted to try it, he was wearing thongs at the time so he kicked them off and after two minutes of holding my shoulder he was off riding it no problems for about 20 minutes barefoot . He loved it and now wants one. He rarely wears shoes loves going barefoot or wearing thongs.

On 12/9/2015 at 5:00 AM, SlowMo said:

I still have to see a person riding an EUC on barefoot. That would look good as in this video. 

Skip to 27:03

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAWeGXF1AeE

I'm fairly sure I could go barefoot - wouldn't want to come off too quickly but the actual riding would be ok.... :)

To answer the original question, when at home going to/from the local shops I use a pair of timberland classic lace up leather shoes. timberland_mens_heritage_3eye_classic_lu

For commuting, I'm currently using Karrimor walking boots prev-review-1510120146.jpg?t=1447701358  

3 hours ago, Phil Howell said:

I showed my son in law my airwheel Q3 and he wanted to try it, he was wearing thongs at the time

For the sake of Phil's reputation on the forum and to avoid any accusations of poor parenting, I feel it should be reiterated to all non-Australians that down under 'thongs' mean sandals/flip flops.

?

2 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

For the sake of Phil's reputation on the forum and to avoid any accusations of poor parenting, I feel it should be reiterated to all non-Australians that down under 'thongs' mean sandals/flip flops.

?

:D:D:lol:

3 hours ago, Paddylaz said:

?

:D   Thanks for clarifying, for a second there I was wondering if he actually meant "thongs" (like I understand the word), as in:

hanky-panky-thong-rear-view1.jpg

6 hours ago, SlowMo said:

I ride with these Skecher's Go Walk shoes. They are very comfortable.  

28mmjvl.jpg

I wear the lace up version of these, and I have to say, they are the Most Comfortable shoe I've ever worn!  Had my wife and Mother try them, and they bought them immediately due to comfort.  I ride with these and then also some leather sketchers.

19 minutes ago, ThatCharlieDude said:

I like a hiking boot that has some ankle support but I'm still learning and tend to wobble a bit. 

You will be happy when you are able to relax a little bit more.  You'll know when it happens.  The shoes will not make as much of a difference.  I often ride for an hour without ever stepping off the wheel.  Yes, my feet hurt a little, but not nearly as much as when I first started.

2 hours ago, SuperSport said:

You will be happy when you are able to relax a little bit more.  You'll know when it happens.  The shoes will not make as much of a difference.  I often ride for an hour without ever stepping off the wheel.  Yes, my feet hurt a little, but not nearly as much as when I first started.

I agree with this.  Feet and feet muscles toughen up after a while.  Plus you can learn techniques that allow you to move your feet around a little as you are riding to keep better circulation. 

When I started I liked very rigid soles on my shoes and they do help your feet not hurt as much at first.  But when I finally tried riding wearing skateboard shoes I found I did not want to go back to the rigid soles anymore.  The skate shoes allow me to feel the pedals more precisely, and I find it makes my riding more fluid and responsive.  Now I prefer to ride wearing my Van's Half Cab Pro skate shoes.  The other shoes just aren't the same anymore. 

Window_and_Half_Cab_Pro___Shop_Mens_Skate_Shoes_at_Vans.jpg

16 minutes ago, Colestien said:

After riding a while, I just ride with what ever I have on when I decide to ride.

Agreed.  I often carry my wheel in my car when I'm out, just in case I find time to jump on it.

Well I am wearing trainers with harder soles I find i have better control but my feet hurts after riding. 

Whereas with airnsoles my feet are comfortable but I seems to loose control a lot. 

Cant win..

I also saw people wearing basketball  sneakers that covers their ankles..  make sense right to prevent your ankles from being scratched..  

Archived