End of charge battery drain: workarounds?

supercurio

8 minutes ago, supercurio said:

Still happening on my 16X with 2.10 firmware (first batch mainboard) @RagingGrandpa

@Tawpie how, why 😄

karma? Maybe your 16X has been chatting with your S22 and understands what happens to them when they are "in service" so it's doing everything it can to try to be less serviceable?

I don't know actually—both my 16X and 16XS.LR turn themselves off when the charger output voltage goes away… audible thump from the speaker with a brief headlight flash and BT connection is dropped.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/7/2024 at 6:51 AM, null said:

Any update on this?
It was supposed to be fixed in 2022 but then it wasn't fixed for everyone?

Still an issue with my S18, latest firmware

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/15/2020 at 7:35 PM, supercurio said:

I start to get annoyed by the battery drain following the end of charge and cell balancing of the KS-16X, which happens even on the freshly released 2.03 firmware.
In a video from @Duf, it seems like the KS-S18 is also affected.

I think that I found the cause of this behaviour, or at least has some explanation when it will happen. 

First, however, a few words of explanation. We are well aware that Begode motherboards are known for not measuring battery voltage accurately, and discrepancies of +/- 1 V are nothing unusual. Unfortunately, it turns out that King Song's motherboards are not perfect either. I have two KS-18XLs that are essentially identical. Both wheels have motherboards version 1.6 and firmware version 2.21. And I charge both with the same charger, which is calibrated to 84.0 V. Meanwhile, one wheel reports 84.5 V after charging, and the other reports 83.5 V. And this first wheel behaves just as described above. When the voltage reaches 84.5 V, charging is interrupted after some time (the motherboard electronically disconnects the charging port). The charger's current drops to zero, but the motherboard remains active, which slowly discharges the battery. The second wheel does not interrupt charging no matter how long the charger is connected, and when the charger is disconnected, it shuts down completely, and the self-discharge phenomenon does not occur.

I know that Inmotion allows remote calibration of the motherboard voltage measurement. As far as I remember, such calibration can also be done in Veteran wheels from the display panel. Unfortunately, it seems that King Song does not offer such functionality at all.

It's also worth mentioning that King Song's newer firmwares has a strange feature - it limits the maximum measured voltage to 84.5 V. This means that even if the voltage measured by the motherboards hardware is higher, the value of the voltage sent to the application will be capped at 84.5 V. This means that the EUC World over-voltage alarm, which activates at an average cell voltage of 4.25 V, will not work.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seba said:

Unfortunately, it seems that King Song does not offer such functionality at all.

So the workaround for affected wheels appears to be adjusting ones charger down until the motherboard shows max just 84.4V?!

On 4/1/2024 at 10:18 AM, Chriull said:

So the workaround for affected wheels appears to be adjusting ones charger down until the motherboard shows max just 84.4V?!

Lowering down the charger voltage will render battery balancer useless or at least make it less efficient. I think that King Song should just implement voltage calibration into their firmware, for example to use with SoftTuner. Another solution is to find voltage divider circuit in the mainboard and play with the resistors...