MCM5 vs Nikola+

Coming from escooter and esk8, im fairly new to euc's.  Ive been reading and watching alot of youtubes and I find that MCM5 or Nikola+ fits my budget to performance ratio.  

But a lot of youtube reviews usually dont mention the weight of the euc user.  So between MCM5 and Nikola+ which one would allow me to go an average 25kph with the occational 30kph bursts?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BBROD said:

But a lot of youtube reviews usually dont mention the weight of the euc user.  So between MCM5 and Nikola+ which one would allow me to go an average 25kph with the occational 30kph bursts?

I'd lean towards the Nikola. More of everything. More comfortable to ride too. You don't think you want to go faster until you've ridden a bit. My worry is that you could outgrow the MCM. And the Nikola+ actually climbs a bit better from what I've heard. Also, if you want to ride with other riders, you're gonna be slow on the MCM. Just wrap the wheel with bubble wrap while you're learning. :P

Edited by erk1024

sorry i was pretty sleepy when i posted this, and i forgot to mention i weigh 210lbs or around 95kg.  so i was wondering if the MCM5 would still perform or will my weight slow me down?  I ask since it is almost half the price the nikola+.

22 hours ago, BBROD said:

Coming from escooter and esk8, im fairly new to euc's.  Ive been reading and watching alot of youtubes and I find that MCM5 or Nikola+ fits my budget to performance ratio.  

Both will be fine for your weight, as the axles are the thicker 24mm standards (just don’t jump or bump down hard, or at all)

Obviously the 2kW nominal motor Nik has more power than the 1.5kW nom motor MCM5, and moreso if it’s the 100V Nik, so all speed and power implications apply, and are compounded since you are 95kg.

The form factors and weights dictate different optimal use case, but I wouldn’t say you would outgrow either wheel, unless you are need-for-speed or balls-to-the-wall, and if that’s the case, then yeah, go for the Nik.

Nothing any of us say on here will do much good since you don’t have a frame of reference riding an EUC, so I would say just buy what you wanna buy, then go from there. What you think going in will most certainly not stay the same; you need that riding frame of reference to realize your true needs.

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

I started with the MCM5 and outgrew it in about 4 months and couldn't keep up with the riders in my group. I ended up upgrading to the Nikola+.  It would have been more difficult to start on the Nikola I think as it takes more muscle to get it to do the same things. 

• Like 1

Being a fairly recent owner of the MCM5v2, I lovvvv it. Its like a grown up Mten3 without losing much of the playfulness (to borrow a term by others) of the little wheel. & In some aspects, its like the Nik's little brother in its allround capabilities.

The MCM5v2 will do 25kph all day down to 20% battery. The only bummer (if one can call it that) is its limited real world range of 30-50+kms (depending on ave spd & terrain). Other than that, its easy to ride (much easier than its lil coz), its light, its fairly fast (I've reached high 40s), climbs like a mountain goat, super agile & overall just a fun wheel. Its also close to 1/2 the cost of a Nik.

I highly recco it as a 1st wheel, a neighborhood runabout, a urban commuter or just a fun way to spend some time at the local skatepark. End of the day, it also performs great as a 2nd (or 3rd or..) wheel in the stable.

That said, I also like the Nik esp the +. Its the purrrdddiest wheel on available IMO & is likely one of the best urban do it alls. If you can only have 1 wheel to rule em all, then get the Nik 

O & FWIW I sold my Mten3 after getting the MCM5v2. Found I wasn't riding it anymore as the M5 just much fun & far more capable. As usual, YMMV.

Edited by Scottie888
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Scottie888 said:

Being a fairly recent owner of the MCM5v2, I lovvvv it. Its like a grown up Mten3 without losing much of the playfulness (to borrow a term by others) of the little wheel. & In some aspects, its like the Nik's little brother in its allround capabilities.

The MCM5v2 will do 25kph all day down to 20% battery. The only bummer (if one can call it that) is its limited real world range of 30-50+kms (depending on ave spd & terrain). Other than that, its easy to ride (much easier than its lil coz), its light, its fairly fast (I've reached high 40s), climbs like a mountain goat, super agile & overall just a fun wheel. Its also close to 1/2 the cost of a Nik.

I highly recco it as a 1st wheel, a neighborhood runabout, a urban commuter or just a fun way to spend some time at the local skatepark. End of the day, it also performs great as a 2nd (or 3rd or..) wheel in the stable.

That said, I also like the Nik esp the +. Its the purrrdddiest wheel on available IMO & is likely one of the best urban do it alls. If you can only have 1 wheel to rule em all, then get the Nik 

O & FWIW I sold my Mten3 after getting the MCM5v2. Found I wasn't riding it anymore as the M5 just much fun & far more capable. As usual, YMMV.

It's funny that you mention the MCM5-V2 as being a grown up Mten3, I rode the Sherm for a few minutes yesterday then the Nikola+ then finally the MCM5 in that order, it really did feel like a Mten3, I was gonna fire up the Mten after the MCM5 but felt like there was no reason, hmmm, is my Mten3 on shaky ground now???

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RetroThruster said:

It's funny that you mention the MCM5-V2 as being a grown up Mten3, I rode the Sherm for a few minutes yesterday then the Nikola+ then finally the MCM5 in that order, it really did feel like a Mten3, I was gonna fire up the Mten after the MCM5 but felt like there was no reason, hmmm, is my Mten3 on shaky ground now???

I sold mine, not bcos I don't like it but mainly cos I don't ride anymore since I the M5v2. Its faster, safer, more comfy & more capable & IMO, more fun. I thought I'd keep the lil' wheel forever but the M5v2 made it redundant. 

Unless one needs a very light very compact last miler. Otherwise, the M5v2 does it for me.

PS: just came back from a 40km 2c weather ride on the M5v2 & got caught in a light snow flurry on the way back but I reach home with a smile. Says it all doncha think 😁

On 10/3/2020 at 8:36 PM, houseofjob said:

Nothing any of us say on here will do much good since you don’t have a frame of reference riding an EUC, so I would say just buy what you wanna buy, then go from there. What you think going in will most certainly not stay the same; you need that riding frame of reference to realize your true needs.

Very wisely said, as expected.

What I have learned from my own journey (193cm tall, 95-105kg) is that the 16S, despite being modified to 16”x2.5”, left me wanting a larger wheel after a while. But had I ridden less than closer to 1000km a month, my needs wouldn’t have formed as clearly.

I then got the 18”x3” MSX. While it felt sluggish at first after getting used only to a compact 16”x2.5” wheel, I soon learned the required attitude, after which all smaller wheels would feel like trick wheels or downright toys.

What the MSX also did was it transformed the EUC’s role in my life much more than I could’ve ever imagined. It was no longer a “bicycle” for short trips, it was a true vehicle that replaced my car almost completely. I started to travel to the other side of the city (50-60km total) with the EUC. Even if the 16S would’ve had the range, it didn’t have the cruisability.

Unless you’re specifically looking for just having fun in the local park, for your weight I’d definitely go with the Nikola. While being a 16-incher, the 3” tire width and it’s size and weight give it the stability of a large wheel. It also has all the speed, power and range you’ll probably ever need. And you can use it for having fun in the local park just as well. The only thing the MCM5 can and the Nikola can’t, is to turn on a dime when circling around a few poles next to each other.

• Like 2