Deciding between Gotway MSP torque and speed

hello all,

This will be my first wheel and I am struggling between which version to buy. I want the speed version but I am  just concerned on how well it well ride through offroad mountain trails since I live in a hilly area. Does anyone have experience riding both versions of the MSP?

• Like 1

It's not like the MSS is low-torque wheel. Still has plenty of power for going up hills.

What kind of speeds do you want to ride? If it's 35 and above then you don't really have a choice. But if it's on into low to mid 30's, then it's probably the MSP.

And really, the MSP is ideal for trail type conditions. If your hills are only road hills, then the MSS should be fine. But if you have lots of uneven dirt trails with steep hills that you like to ride, I'd pick the MSP.

So I think it comes down to what speeds you want to ride 80+ percent of the time.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

It's not like the MSS is low-torque wheel. Still has plenty of power for going up hills.

What kind of speeds do you want to ride? If it's 35 and above then you don't really have a choice. But if it's on into low to mid 30's, then it's probably the MSP.

And really, the MSP is ideal for trail type conditions. If your hills are only road hills, then the MSS should be fine. But if you have lots of uneven dirt trails with steep hills that you like to ride, I'd pick the MSP.

So I think it comes down to what speeds you want to ride 80+ percent of the time.

Do you think the MSS would be able to handle the Mountain Stress Test you have done in your videos? Man, i just wish they had both of both worlds, torque and speed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Drew Laborte said:

Do you think the MSS would be able to handle the Mountain Stress Test you have done in your videos? Man, i just wish they had both of both worlds, torque and speed.

Yes. See this video where I tested my 84-volt MSX on The Hill. The 100-volt MSS is certainly more powerful than the 84-volt MSX, just not as powerful (on the low end) as the MSP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes. See this video where I tested my 84-volt MSX on The Hill. The 100-volt MSS is certainly more powerful than the 84-volt MSX, just not as powerful (on the low end) as the MSP.

Awesome. Thank you so much Marty! It looks like I'll change my order to the speed version instead but now I'll have to wait till early October for it to arrive.🤙🤙🤙

• Like 1

I still wonder about the MSP torque edition.  The Sherman can go much faster than the MSP but still a 2500W motor.  Although it has more battery in parallel, which means higher current.   I wonder if speed limitation is something Gotway has done in the firmware on purpose to give the 2000W motor some market share.  My gut feeling tells me the MSP torque can go faster, but limited by firmware/control board at the moment.  It wouldn't supprise me if one day a new control board and/or firmware can give the 2500W motor a little more speed.  Just throwing my 2 cents out.  

2 hours ago, Cychotic said:

I wonder if speed limitation is something Gotway has done in the firmware on purpose

Well a couple of our guys have fitted later boards into their old 100v MSX's and free spin speed went from the usual 57mph to 61mph, with a corresponding gain before the 80% beep. I never thought that GW would have cropped the potential speed on what was their flagship hardcore model but it appears they werent running the max kv the motor was capable of...

21 hours ago, Cychotic said:

I still wonder about the MSP torque edition.  The Sherman can go much faster than the MSP but still a 2500W motor.  Although it has more battery in parallel, which means higher current.   I wonder if speed limitation is something Gotway has done in the firmware on purpose to give the 2000W motor some market share.  My gut feeling tells me the MSP torque can go faster, but limited by firmware/control board at the moment.  It wouldn't supprise me if one day a new control board and/or firmware can give the 2500W motor a little more speed.  Just throwing my 2 cents out.  

A local rider to me took the motor from his MSX and put it in his MSP. The MSP then became faster than his original MSX.

So it's not just firmware, but the motor configuration. Yet when Veteran gave me an updated control board (only a firmware change) the Sherman exhibited better power on the low end but a reduced speed at the high end.

It's a combination of firmware and motor design.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi guys. Has anyone gotten to do this? Intereted to know how much more torque is felt riding the HT version, as I find torque more appealing than speed, as long as 35mph is easily attainable and safe

Edited by RagingGrandpa
"Comparison RS HT vs RS HS" merged with older thread for the same topic

23 hours ago, antberz said:

Hi guys. Has anyone gotten to do this? Intereted to know how much more torque is felt riding the HT version, as I find torque more appealing than speed, as long as 35mph is easily attainable and safe

Check out this video review by @Afeez Kay from e-Rides.com, as the Begode MSP is to be replaced by the Begode RS 19:

Edited by fbhb

14 hours ago, antberz said:

torque motor beep around 38 full battery, and offer 30mph up to 35-40%, it also accelerate and brake a bit better than speed version.

Think about it if: 

• you are ok with that speed
  • if you like to climb
  • if you face any kind of slope in your environment, more slope, bigger the difference

On 10/27/2020 at 2:43 PM, RagingGrandpa said:

TL;DR:

• If you want to cruise at or above 35mph, there is only one choice (C30).

• If you don't ride offroad...
    Or you don't use power pads....
    you are unlikely to see any performance difference between the two.

• If you're >200lb and want to do hilly offroad, the C38 was made for you. It will run cooler and is less likely to have pedal dips / overlean at low speeds.

22 hours ago, fbhb said:

Check out this video review by @Afeez Kay from e-Rides.com, as the Begode MSP is to be replaced by the Begode RS 19:

It's seductive, but possibly misleading, to overly focus on numbers, especially when the differences are small. I've always loved torque in a race car or on a motorcycle, but that's because the "pull" feels smooth and effortless. I don't buy the last 2 mph, nor the lowest .25 of a second, especially off the track. It's the "feel" that means the most to me: how smoothly does the torque deliver me to the speed I'm most often trying to attain.