GotWay MSP tire alternatives ?

1 hour ago, Planemo said:

Thanks great info, thanks! The comparison you are able to give, having ridden the Z10 is worth a lot :)

So heres the kicker... would you say that 23psi on the Battlax feels much harder than the stock MSX? I know this is the million dollar question and hard to answer, but anything you can provide would really help!

Haha U know that is definitely hard to answer ....it all depends on how I like and you like...but nothing compared to Z10 :)...

Another thing is that I found pretty inconsistent between air pump ...so it's hard to have same exact psi tyre for each pump sometimes....my 23 psi from my air pump may be different to yours ..

A lot of factors definitely

• Like 1

OK, bollox to it, I've just ordered a Pilot in 80/90 :)

We'll see how it goes. If it's awful, I'll just send the bill to you :roflmao:

Seriously, if it's nothing like the Z10 it's deffo worth a shot. At £31 inc delivery it's not the end of the world if I don't get on with it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Planemo said:

OK, bollox to it, I've just ordered a Pilot in 80/90 :)

We'll see how it goes. If it's awful, I'll just send the bill to you :roflmao:

Seriously, if it's nothing like the Z10 it's deffo worth a shot. At £31 inc delivery it's not the end of the world if I don't get on with it.

I got feeling U would like it :)

1 hour ago, Planemo said:

I weighed it at 2.37kg, I dont know what the stock H5102 is but I have a new H587 laying around and that's 1.41kg. So quite a bit of difference.

I immediately removed the 18x3 H5102 from my S18 to replace it with a CST C6004, which I have found to offer an absolutely Stellar experience in All departments!  I just weighed the Brand New H5102 for you and it does come in at around the exact same weight as the H587 you referred to.

From now on, I will never ever ride one of my wheels with a standard fitment bicycle tyre, instead much preferring to upgrade to a "proper" motor cycle tyre!  The ride quality IMHO improves immensely, the durability/longevity goes up exponentially with much more puncture resistance and the grip that is offered just cannot be matched.

Please let us know how the Pilot behaves, once you have had a chance to fit it and put some miles on, I'm sure you are gonna love it?

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2

On 11/25/2020 at 6:42 PM, null said:

As I understand (and to keep it short), the profile tending towards a square, because when tilted it requires effort to lift up on its edge. (tilt a cube vs tilt a sphere). Reinforced sidewalls participate by not letting the side walls caving in.

A car style tire should be extreme :)

Yes, I agree 🤩 I love my Z10 mostly for the tire and it's performance

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fbhb said:

I just weighed the Brand New H5102 for you and it does come in at around the exact same weight as the H587 you referred to.

Ah great, thanks for that! At least we have a couple of weight comparisons now. It might help with info re loss of range/gyro feeling.

1 hour ago, fbhb said:

the durability/longevity goes up exponentially with much more puncture resistance and the grip that is offered just cannot be matched.

Cheap Chinese rubber has always been utter shite. I have been through enough car, MC and bicycle tyres to come to that conclusion. There is no question that decent rubber gives huge amounts of grip and I believe the Pilot is capable of that. My only concerns at this moment are 1. Range, 2. Gyro and 3. Comfort.

Grip, quality, puncture resistance and wear will be excellent for this tyre by default for an MC application as I have yet to use a Michelin tyre that is crap. The only question is how well it will do for our EUCs which normally need a more flexible carcass to maintain comfort.

1 hour ago, fbhb said:

Please let us know how the Pilot behaves, once you have had a chance to fit it and put some miles on

Absolutely. If its garbage for our use case I will be sure to air my feelings. I wont spin crap about anything :)

29 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Absolutely. If its garbage for our use case I will be sure to air my feelings. I wont spin crap about anything :)

I really look forward to hearing your comments on the Pilot, but I feel confident that you will be more than happy with it's performance.  The concerns you have regarding the stiffer carcass, can be offset by running much lower pressure than you are used to, as the motorcycle tyres are very capable of running low pressure without risk of rim damage/pinch punctures or loss of performance!

As you probably already know the Kenda 262 knobby on the Sherman, gets very high praise from most quarters and I run that tyre at just 20psi for the comfort aspect.  As a consequence, once I had done All my S18 upgrades and replaced the H5102 with the CST C6004, I chose to run the CST at 20psi too with outstanding results (even though it's a suspension wheel, so Not so much for the comfort aspect!) 

I had a selection of 3 other tyres ready for the S18 (All 14" motorcycle tyres), including the Kenda K340A, which the CST closely resembles, but the CST has deeper tread at 6-7mm and more aggressive side blocks so it was an easy choice! 

For reference my Fully geared up riding weight is: approx. 85kgs.

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1

I just received my wheel, do you know what that is mean the 40P number?¿ Im asking because i receive the battlax SC 90/80-14 but with 49P instead of 40P!

Are you sure that fits an MSX 84V? seems to wide for me! :-O

Captura.jpg

Edited by XaBi
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Planemo said:

'P' is the speed rating (93mph). 40 or 49 is the load index. Around 140kg for '40' and 185kg for '49'.

Yes, I think a 90 width would be too wide, given my 80 rubbed slightly.

thanks mate, just replaced the battlax by the michelin, which is stocked. :-) will receive it in a few days.

Just a little update for my fitment - as mentioned above I had a small amount of rubbing on one side and so played a little with the case the other day. I slotted (trusty Dremmel again) the 6 mounting holes on the side that rubbed which allowed the case on that side to sit down a little and therefore allow the wheel to 'tilt' a little distance from the inner shell but after doing this the tyre then rubbed a little on the other side of the shell! This proves that there is very little room to play with using this tyre, and because of that I don't think I could recommend it and therefore suggest that using the 70/90 version instead might be a better bet. As a note, my shell isn't particularly mis-aligned either - far less than some other MSX's I have seen.

I continued trying to get it better, making small adjustments to the 6x shell screws and also sanded off the pointed ridge on each side of the tyre. It now spins totally freely when upright with no weight on the wheel, but I need to ride it before I make any further decisions. It all rests on how comfortable the ride is - if it isn't then the tyre will probably come off and I will go back to the H5102 (which I really like) but if it rides nice, I will make further tests to stress the shell (one legged riding etc) and see how much (if at all) it rubs and go from there. TBH theres not much more clearance I can get, although I still haven't dremmeled the inside of the other shell yet so that's an option. It gives an extra mm or so.

All in all, the exercise has certainly shown me just how little room there is to play with. You can do little things here and there to gain some clearance, but theres no magic way of gaining big space.

Of course, my experience only relates to the 80/90 Pilot, other tyres of even the same stamped sizes will very likely come up slightly different on width which could be a good or bad thing depending...

Edit: just to add, you may be very lucky and not have an issue at all if your shells happen to be perfectly aligned/spaced relative to the motor.

Edited by Planemo
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Planemo said:

Just a little update for my fitment - as mentioned above I had a small amount of rubbing on one side and so played a little with the case the other day. I slotted (trusty Dremmel again) the 6 mounting holes on the side that rubbed which allowed the case on that side to sit down a little and therefore allow the wheel to 'tilt' a little distance from the inner shell but after doing this the tyre then rubbed a little on the other side of the shell! This proves that there is very little room to play with using this tyre, and because of that I don't think I could recommend it and therefore suggest that using the 70/90 version instead might be a better bet. As a note, my shell isn't particularly mis-aligned either - far less than some other MSX's I have seen.

I continued trying to get it better, making small adjustments to the 6x shell screws and also sanded off the pointed ridge on each side of the tyre. It now spins totally freely when upright with no weight on the wheel, but I need to ride it before I make any further decisions. It all rests on how comfortable the ride is - if it isn't then the tyre will probably come off and I will go back to the H5102 (which I really like) but if it rides nice, I will make further tests to stress the shell (one legged riding etc) and see how much (if at all) it rubs and go from there. TBH theres not much more clearance I can get, although I still haven't dremmeled the inside of the other shell yet so that's an option. It gives an extra mm or so.

All in all, the exercise has certainly shown me just how little room there is to play with. You can do little things here and there to gain some clearance, but theres no magic way of gaining big space.

Of course, my experience only relates to the 80/90 Pilot, other tyres of even the same stamped sizes will very likely come up slightly different on width which could be a good or bad thing depending...

Edit: just to add, you may be very lucky and not have an issue at all if your shells happen to be perfectly aligned/spaced relative to the motor.

I don't have issue with mine though (not using Micheline Pilot)

Yeah maybe the Battlax 80/90 comes up just that little bit narrower than the Pilot. Maybe your shells are a little better aligned than mine. If you get a minute, if you can accurately measure the width across your tyre (I used a vernier caliper) it will at least rule out any width differences.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 11:05 AM, Planemo said:

Yeah maybe the Battlax 80/90 comes up just that little bit narrower than the Pilot. Maybe your shells are a little better aligned than mine. If you get a minute, if you can accurately measure the width across your tyre (I used a vernier caliper) it will at least rule out any width differences.

mmmmm, now im thinking on buying the 70/90, just to be on the safe side, found one battlax 70/90 close to my house for 20Eur. :-)

35 minutes ago, XaBi said:

mmmmm, now im thinking on buying the 70/90, just to be on the safe side, found one battlax 70/90 close to my house for 20Eur. :-)

The 70/90 would indeed be a safer bet, whatever the manufacturer.

Remember that Stevo Jo had an 80/90 Battlax fit with no problems though. It's only my Pilot 80/90 that has rubbed.

• Like 1