GotWay MSP tire alternatives ?

On 11/12/2021 at 10:08 AM, EMA said:

yes it fit wo issue, amazing tire, go for it :thumbup:

I love the look of that tire also. I saw that you mention on other thread, it's around 73mm in width right?

What's your wheel rim width?

Do you think, it would be possible to cut/sandpaper the sides lil bit to get it closer to 69-70mm width?

My wheel's case opening is around 73mm sadly.

2 hours ago, Funky said:

Do you think, it would be possible to cut/sandpaper the sides lil bit to get it closer to 69-70mm width?

A local rider just showed us how he had cut the side edges from a 80/80-14 K66 to make it fit in an S18. Most tires can be cut that way, and the MSX and it’s successors do get a bit more room by just sanding at the wheel opening.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

A local rider just showed us how he had cut the side edges from a 80/80-14 K66 to make it fit in an S18. Most tires can be cut that way, and the MSX and it’s successors do get a bit more room by just sanding at the wheel opening.

Yeah s18 originally supports 18x3 right? So 2.75" Should fit easy.

I'm on 18xl that has hextech pedals.. It lifted my wheel case 15-17mm, so im searching for tire that would fit 2.85" opening.

Sadly in 18x3.0 size, i know only H-5102, J-1836,  that should fit, but they are smooth, slippery. (CST C-1488 should fit if cut/sanded).

1 hour ago, Funky said:

18x3 right? So 2.75" Should fit easy.

Not necessarily: the tires labeled "2.75-14" like K262 and K340 use a 2.75" pneumatic tube. The tread height and width is much larger than 2.75", and varies widely by model.

18x3 is bicycle (and ebike) nomenclature, and while the size is similar, there is no direct linkage to a DOT-style size. We're lucky that all the 18" ebike tires just happen to be intended for a 14" rim (our MSP rim), considering it's unspecified in the label!

(See the catalog thread for more info)

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Not necessarily: the tires labeled "2.75-14" like K262 and K340 use a 2.75" pneumatic tube. The tread height and width is much larger than 2.75", and varies widely by model.

18x3 is bicycle (and ebike) nomenclature, and while the size is similar, there is no direct linkage to a DOT-style size. We're lucky that all the 18" ebike tires just happen to be intended for a 14" rim (our MSP rim), considering it's unspecified in the label!

(See the catalog thread for more info)

By 2.75" i meant as in 2.75"(70mm) with all tread and all. (I just took that measurement from the tires that i mention, dint mean the 2.75-14 tire size)

The tires that i mention are close 69-71mm size.. aka the 2.75" size. hehe.

Yes i know, not all tires under 2.75-14 are actually 2.75" in width, some may be in 3.00"+ and so on with bigger tread. (Most offroad tires)

Joke> Hey i want 2.75-14 tire, it should be 2.75" so it will fit me :D Surprise, Surprise, it's actually not 2.75" but 3.00".

Life would be much easier if number meant something.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Funky said:

Life would be much easier if number meant something.

Absolutely! The tire sizing scene is a mess.

Look at the make up industry as an example, they have very precise percentage of how much longer your eye lashes will instantly become!

:facepalm:

Edited by mrelwood