GotWay MSP tire alternatives ?

2 hours ago, EMA said:

how stiffer is it compared to stock one ? did you ride it ? gyro effect at speed ?

i love it, not going backwards :-)

i need to lower pressure or its too stiff, i was riding at 38psi, and was too hard for the bridgestone, i lower it but not sure about the actual pressure.

i noticed also that, when hard braking (like squatting) i dont feel the wobble like before it 'almost ' gone.

Gyro effect mmm not sure, what i can tell you is that riding experience at higher speeds its better for me :-)

3 hours ago, XaBi said:

@UniMe no i didnt convert it to tubeless :-)

Sorry for my ignorance, I'm catching up on tyre tech. I have a new RS HT that I really only plan to use on the street, it seems obvious that a different tyre would improve it's performance.

Where did you source the tube for it then? Do you order these separately somewhere? That tyre looks fantastic and sticky, me want :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I try MICHELIN CITY PRO 70/90 R14. Detail and more photo is in tread:

0nPStyh.jpg

Not outside tested yet impossible because weather here.

What confused me a lot is that the tire can be given from two directions.

Originally as a front or rear wheel on a motorcycle. I chose the direction for the rear tire (rear rotation) I hope I didn't mess it up.
I thought I would test it at worst, so that I would go back ride to MSP (brakelight first) and know how the tire behaves in the second/other direction (front rotation).

And how direction afect reaction noise nibleness, etc.

Here is tread on tire LEFT = FRONT direction                                            RIGHT = REAR direction my tire is REAR direction mounted now.

Becasue (rear) patern is same way like stock 1488 i need help understand this.

1488264.jpg

Edited by DjPanJan
fix images
  • Like 2

The Michelin City Pro is a good tyre, nice one :)

As for fitting direction, I would have fitted it as if it was a front. On motorbikes, the front tyre clears much of the water for the rear tyre which is why the treads are so different. Given on an EUC we only have one tyre (the front tyre if you like) I think it's best to fit it as if it was a front. That said, the chance of aquaplaning an EUC is pretty slim so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I'm still to test my Michelin Pilot 80/90. It's all fitted up but too bloody cold for me to ride (wuss I know, be quiet @mrelwood :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Planemo said:

The Michelin City Pro is a good tyre, nice one :)

As for fitting direction, I would have fitted it as if it was a front.

I'm still to test my Michelin Pilot 80/90 // @DjPanJan looks optimistic 80/90 r14 michelin city pro propably fit too clerance is good. 

I think same i ask moto riders what i know in my phone list 3 riders(supersport rides). And one recomended like you "Front rotation" exactly what you say against aquaplining.

2 others make opinion for EUC is beter "rear rotation" because is make for maximal traction pattern shape  and is more "mud or grass" friendly "rear patern" is selfclean type what is better for stability and universality . Both say and bonus be more quiet ride.

This i can confirm if i ride my MSP backwards for patern test tire is significantly more noisy.(this is just funfact i test only +-1Km my powerpads make backwards riding dificult and shape my nylonove not make it easy too).  I not test "high speed" my max was 25km/h this ride is cold and i no want cutout. 

Very nimble tire my MSP is now nimble like KS16X (CY tire) this is what i want and reason why i go courage change tire i just want "new EUC feel" and definetly got it :dribble:

My psi was 33 too mutch for michelin respnse to turning was like CST on 45 PSI jut WOW.

More detail is in my topic in TIRE tread.

Im just noob in tires world nothing scientific just what i feel.

Personaly expect tire(city pro) need +-200Km to show max potential still is to new and compound is naturaly harder in -2 celsius. Some vendors call it all year tire some say is summer tire. 

Good is under my weight michelin 33psi not deformate ,compare to  CST1488 on 37 PSI where deformation be clearly visible(little conical under weight). 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DjPanJan said:

I think same i ask moto riders what i know in my phone list 3 riders(supersport rides). And one recomended like you "Front rotation" exactly what you say against aquaplining.

2 others make opinion for EUC is beter "rear rotation" because is make for maximal traction pattern shape  and is more "mud or grass" friendly "rear patern" is selfclean type what is better for stability and universality . Both say and bonus be more quiet ride.

With a tire that is intended for front and rear, it is not about aquaplaning, but about the different forces that act on the tire. The rear tire is the most heavily loaded during acceleration. The front tire is most heavily loaded during braking.
Now you can choose whether you prefer perfection in acceleration or in braking. :D

I would have it mounted as a rear tire.

Edited by EUC Custom Power-Pads
  • Like 3

• 5 months later...
On 2/2/2021 at 11:30 AM, DjPanJan said:

This i can confirm if i ride my MSP backwards for patern test tire is significantly more noisy.(this is just funfact i test only +-1Km my powerpads make backwards riding dificult and shape my nylonove not make it easy too).  I not test "high speed" my max was 25km/h this ride is cold and i no want cutout. 

Very nimble tire my MSP is now nimble like KS16X (CY tire) this is what i want and reason why i go courage change tire i just want "new EUC feel" and definetly got it :dribble:

My psi was 33 too mutch for michelin respnse to turning was like CST on 45 PSI jut WOW.

More detail is in my topic in TIRE tread.

Im just noob in tires world nothing scientific just what i feel.

Personaly expect tire(city pro) need +-200Km to show max potential still is to new and compound is naturaly harder in -2 celsius. Some vendors call it all year tire some say is summer tire. 

Good is under my weight michelin 33psi not deformate ,compare to  CST1488 on 37 PSI where deformation be clearly visible(little conical under weight). 

Hi DjPanJan,  just checking how you are enjoying this tyre? I’m new to the game, but would like to have a replacement available for when the inevitable puncture comes, and would ideally like to replace with a tyre that fits, is quiet and hopefully also gives a little grip in the dry, even possibly on gravel or stone metalled tracks, this Michelin tyre seems to fit the criteria well.

Greetings from Scotland!

12 hours ago, Freeforester said:

a tyre that fits, is quiet and hopefully also gives a little grip in the dry, even possibly on gravel or stone metalled tracks

You might want to look into the Heidenau K66 80/90-14 as well! I haven’t tried the Michelin or other more pavement oriented tires, but for me the K66 is a killer! Silent, stable, comfy, and very grippy.

image.jpeg.98d8a96855552bbe7a7a16a94d923cdc.jpeg

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

You might want to look into the Heidenau K66 80/90-14 as well! I haven’t tried the Michelin or other more pavement oriented tires, but for me the K66 is a killer! Silent, stable, comfy, and very grippy.

Any vendor for USA? My brief search only showed European dealers.

47 minutes ago, FlyboyEUC said:

Any vendor for USA? My brief search only showed European dealers.

I have no idea, unfortunately. It is a German brand, but I know a few riders have found an US distributor for the exact K66 model.

5 hours ago, mrelwood said:

it's really nice

photo_2021-07-07_15-13-16.jpg

photo_2021-07-07_15-13-17.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Where did you buy the tire?

18 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Would this work as winter tire? Looks like all year around solution. I am tempted. I wonder how much noise it makes?

14 hours ago, Tasku said:

Would this work as winter tire? Looks like all year around solution. I am tempted. I wonder how much noise it makes?

No noticeable noise! I felt an extremely tiny amount of vibration at certain medium speeds when the tire was new, but either I soon got accustomed to them or they went away.

The Snowtex version should work pretty well as a winter tire. The CST C-186 and the likes (noisy, a handful to handle) do grip better on deep snow I’m sure, but the K66 works really well even on shallow mud, so I am expecting not having to change to my studded C-186 too early in the winter.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 2

On 7/8/2021 at 4:45 AM, mrelwood said:

Thanks for this one, it’s available here too, I think I’ll check out the clearance of the Michelin 70/90 -14 city pro first before ordering any second tyre, but I do like the look of this one for forest tracks, I’m just not too keen on fitting one if it might turn out to be too wide for the MSP’s available space,  width-wise.

16 hours ago, mrelwood said:

No noticeable noise! I felt an extremely tiny amount of vibration at certain medium speeds when the tire was new, but either I soon got accustomed to them or they went away.

The Snowtex version should work pretty well as a winter tire. The CST C-186 and the likes (noisy, a handful to handle) do grip better on deep snow I’m sure, but the K66 works really well even on shallow mud, so I am expecting not having to change to my studded C-186 too early in the winter.

May I ask whether this winter riding aspect has been already covered, with particular reference to battery management/ insulation? All our power tools and ebike batteries are kept in the house here, where we experience frosts in most months of the year (I’ve not experienced one in July as yet, but have in every other month in the calendar, but the August frost was a bit of a shock!), I’m imagining that the neoprene wheel cover will be pressed into service during the colder times, and the wheel itself will be stored in a warm place until it’s time to roll. If there are any other quick tips or links/references to catch up on I’d be very grateful to know, thanks.

3 hours ago, Freeforester said:

May I ask whether this winter riding aspect has been already covered, with particular reference to battery management/ insulation? All our power tools and ebike batteries are kept in the house here, where we experience frosts in most months of the year (I’ve not experienced one in July as yet, but have in every other month in the calendar, but the August frost was a bit of a shock!), I’m imagining that the neoprene wheel cover will be pressed into service during the colder times, and the wheel itself will be stored in a warm place until it’s time to roll. If there are any other quick tips or links/references to catch up on I’d be very grateful to know, thanks.

The 18650 is bit better performing in the cold conditions, gonna start with that. So gotta keep in mind that MSP has a frost wound to it. I would be careful riding in cold, gotta always get device inside and never store outside.

Performance will be worse.

Stock-tire is not suited for winter, nor any conditions close to zero degree (0 Celcius).

Battery can also expand in cold, and it being full could cause damage to battery.

-10C has been the limit for battery performance if I remember correct..

During use/riding some heat could maintain positive performance of battery. Too much heat again damages battery faster.

Melting snow is risk should, water get inside your covers. I would say this more for DIY-maintainers who open the covers and waterproof their electronics.

For wide general public, it would be easier to say "Don't ride winter." 

Edited by Tasku

Thanks, we get long periods of dry in the winter on the East side of the country here where I live, but temperatures aren’t generally so severe, fluctuating between -2°to -5° during the night (I wouldn’t be night riding) to plus 2° to plus 5° (all Celsius) during the day, it’s just that I’d like to ride on sunny dry but cold days (around 0-1 deg) if a reasonable idea, as a guide we rarely see much beyond 17°C (about 64F) most summers either, to have a day of 21°C (recommended ambient running temperature for wheels) is a rare and lovely thing here!

We don’t get too much snowfall generally either, although last January we had a little more or less daily, and temperatures did not come above freezing, then ‘lucky’ 13th February we had a bit of wind, which gave us up to 2,4metres (8foot) on the roads I’d be riding on, so there are limits here also. I get the 21700vs 18650 trade off with the MSP, also tyre suitability (given the timeframe, I’ll order a heidenau k66 winter tyre  if I can determine from someone the absolute width when fitted to a similarly rimmed wheel as the MSP, or indeed if I someone is already successfully using one on an MSP), but more for its presumably comparatively softer compound, I’m not looking to ride on frozen roads or otherwise icy conditions, we often have it cold enough but the roads totally dry. Am I correct in thinking you are you using the stock tyre?  I can imagine using the K66 all year round also, most of the year we are below 14°, and often in single figures, most winter tyres work best below 7° I understand.

21 hours ago, mrelwood said:

mrelwood, do you happen to know the maximum inner width of your wheel casing which accommodates the K66 tyre? This would be the determining factor along with the clearance between it and tyre, to calculate whether it might fit in the MSP wheel casing.

2 hours ago, Freeforester said:

but more for its presumably comparatively softer compound, I’m not looking to ride on frozen roads or otherwise icy conditions, we often have it cold enough but the roads totally dry. Am I correct in thinking you are you using the stock tyre?

I only got 10k on my belt and no "winter riding" to speak off. I wanted to make sure my device will be operational for this summer. This winter tho, I am not sure I can just give up the rides so thinking of prepping for winter ride. Tyre being key importance here, I find this topic interesting source of opinions.

I rode 9000 km with stock tire. I would not use it when night temperatures fall negative during night time, and be careful during mornings after said negative temperature. Forest areas tend to get ice on the road for one much easier than what the forecast average gives estimate. The stock tyre did not handle ice, snow or mud well. Currently using one of those off-road tyres... 666 something.

I hear friction tyres might be enough with good pattern, but my general experience (driving automobile with em) that they were not as great as spiked winter tires (obviously), when it comes to ice. With spikes you gotta be careful not to accelerate near others, as those spikes do get off somepoint.  There is good and bad to every choice one makes, if you dig down long enough.

The small space MSP has between tyre and cover, is not encouraging to snowy conditions..

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Freeforester said:

May I ask whether this winter riding aspect has been already covered

Maybe not very coherently. If the search didn’t come up with anything, here are the key aspects I’ve learned and read:

Battery

Do not store or charge below +5•C. Do not accelerate fast, less power available. Batteries stored in room temperature will stay warm enough to at least -10•C as long as you don’t stop much. Let the wheel warm up and condensation to evaporate for a few hours in room temp after a freezing ride before charging.

Tire

Like @Tasku mentioned, it’s the same as with other vehicles. Rubber gets stiff well before freezing, but the Heidenau Snowtex (and other winter specified) versions should stay malleable and grippy. Studs are simply amazing in the winter! If you get ice or packed snow, the studs will keep you riding like it was summer. Studless winter tires are a good mixed weather option, but ride carefully.

Pedals

Snow does get packed on your pedals even if you have only a thin haze of snow in the ground. The new trend of studded pedals with large holes in them are a must.

Wheel well

No way around it, the wheel well will get full of snow, no matter how little there is in the ground. Tire clearance only affects how fast it will happen. Luckily the wheels can handle this pretty well, unless you try to ride through thick sticky snow or with a warm tire. It will seize the tire pretty fast. GotWays will depart a few Mosfets at that point.

The Heidenau K66 80/90-14 Snowtex measures 78mm wide on the V11. The wide part of the wheel well measures 89mm. Clearance above the tire lowers down to about 9mm an inch in at the fender.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...