GotWay MSP tire alternatives ?

CST 1488 stock tire is really good on street and probably is the best street tire with you can do off-road too, compared to the H666 has more gyro effect that you'll feel at higher speed.

probably  h5102  (stock msx tire)  is the most  similar to the  H666 feeling, really good on street, bad on other surfaces

Edited by EMA

On 8/27/2020 at 10:53 AM, EMA said:

probably  h5102  (stock msx tire)  is the most  similar to the  H666 feeling, really good on street, bad on other surfaces

Interesting. I don’t get the H-666 vibe from the H-5102, at all. If anything, the MSP original C-1488 on the V11 sometimes reminds me of the H-666.

The Sherman street tire could be interesting as well, if the H-666 is tough to find, or if you just want an alternative. I’m not sure if Kuji’s experiences on it are solely the tire’s fault, it could be that it’s just a bad combo with the Sherman.

• 2 months later...
On 8/27/2020 at 9:53 AM, EMA said:

compared to the H666 has more gyro effect that you'll feel at higher speed.

What's the cause of gyro in the shape of a tyre? More width and surface contact? I'm a gyro enthusiast hunting for gyro-ful tyres on AliExpress.

2 hours ago, TheseusMinor said:

What's the cause of gyro in the shape of a tyre?

As I understand (and to keep it short), the profile tending towards a square, because when tilted it requires effort to lift up on its edge. (tilt a cube vs tilt a sphere). Reinforced sidewalls participate by not letting the side walls caving in.

A car style tire should be extreme :)

Edited by null
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TheseusMinor said:

What's the cause of gyro in the shape of a tyre? More width and surface contact? I'm a gyro enthusiast hunting for gyro-ful tyres on AliExpress.

i agree with @null the shape it's the biggest factor, if you like gyro go for the stock cst 1488:

it's light (good range), soft and really good in off-road too.

[ i hope to try the kenda k340 soon (EX tire) seems good ]

11 hours ago, TheseusMinor said:

What size do you need? The Michelin Pilot 80/90-14 on my RS has the most gyro effect of any tire I've ridden, but I've never ridden a Contiscoot and apparently they are heavier. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JeremyB said:

What size do you need?

16x3". 

10 hours ago, null said:

The first KS16X tyre was also very gyro-ish, maybe that one could be found? Brand unknown

I've already ordered the first batch 16X tyre (Dalishen cx321). I'm excited to try the side pendulum swings at high speeds, and suicidal leaning when cornering - like I do on my Z10 but with the more cushioned and agile personality of the 16X - although I am aware that it's less gyro-ish than the Z, which is probably a good thing.

The Z10's tendency to follow the tread, making me wobble in narrow 8 inch bike trails, should be reduced too in a 16X with the cx321 tyre. This tendency is aggravating when you just want a tranquil cruise in Nature.

• Like 1

I'm going to give away the Z10 to my little brother. The 16X has taken the role of general purpose and commuting wheel. Now I'm torn between getting a wheel that is specifically for off-road versus one that is specifically for long range. For the former purpose, the S18 with it's lightweight maneuverability and exceptional suspension is attractive but I'd like to see how the wheel holds up over 12 months of use from other riders.. For long distance rides in farmlands and wilderness outbacks, I'd get a Begode EX or a Sherman. Whichever of these alternatives has the most gyro-ish tyre available (stock or aftermarket) will probably convince me which purpose EUC to prioritise buying next.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Steve Jo said:

MSP with knobby tyre and MSX with Bridgestone Battlax SC 80/90-14 (40P) SC1F

Yo! Is that a light mod I spy on the MSP? I'm guessing to reduce glare, was it difficult to do?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2020 at 12:41 PM, Steve Jo said:

MSP with knobby tyre and MSX with Bridgestone Battlax SC 80/90-14 (40P) SC1F

dKQax7f.jpg

Hi!

Im going to replace the tyre on my MSX and was looking to that Bridgestone; do you recommend it? Is it a good upgrade compared to the default one?  thanks!

• Like 2

On 12/18/2020 at 10:52 AM, XaBi said:

Hi!

Im going to replace the tyre on my MSX and was looking to that Bridgestone; do you recommend it? Is it a good upgrade compared to the default one?  thanks!

I would NOT go back to default tyre definitely :) ...I definitely recommend it ....please be mindful, the tyre is definitely heavier than default one 

• Like 1

Will buy then! Will let you know how it rides! Now I need to know exactly how to replace the tyre on the msx; seems it’s not rocket science. Do you know any video or guide to follow? 
thanks again! 😊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, XaBi said:

Will buy then! Will let you know how it rides! Now I need to know exactly how to replace the tyre on the msx; seems it’s not rocket science. Do you know any video or guide to follow? 
thanks again! 😊

• Like 1

On 12/19/2020 at 3:30 AM, Steve Jo said:

I would NOT go back to default tyre definitely :) ...I definitely recommend it ....please be mindful, the tyre is definitely heavier than default one 

No kidding. I have been looking around at slicker tyres for the MSX and primarily these all seem to be tubeless MC tyres. One of them (can't remember which) was showing just under 2.5kg!! I haven't weighed a stock H5102 yet to compare, but that sounds like a lot to me.

I really want to fit an 80/90-14 Pilot or Battlax SC but I am still concerned about how much harder it will make the ride given the stiffness of MC tubeless tyres. I know the Michelin City Pro can be found in a tubed version but it's not as slick as I would like.

1 hour ago, Planemo said:

No kidding. I have been looking around at slicker tyres for the MSX and primarily these all seem to be tubeless MC tyres. One of them (can't remember which) was showing just under 2.5kg!! I haven't weighed a stock H5102 yet to compare, but that sounds like a lot to me.

I really want to fit an 80/90-14 Pilot or Battlax SC but I am still concerned about how much harder it will make the ride given the stiffness of MC tubeless tyres. I know the Michelin City Pro can be found in a tubed version but it's not as slick as I would like.

You can try deflating tyre psi and it should work fine...beside I feel middle tread of this tyre is soft

Cheers, yeah but I don't want it to get like the Z10, where the tyre is so stiff you have to run like 10psi to give any compliance. I would want to try and stay away from that on the MSX really.

'Compliance' is all so subjective between riders I really need to just get one and try it I 'spose. I just love how compliant the H5102 is at 25psi though, it rides beautifully and I am reluctant to risk reducing that by a lot.

7 hours ago, Planemo said:

Cheers, yeah but I don't want it to get like the Z10, where the tyre is so stiff you have to run like 10psi to give any compliance. I would want to try and stay away from that on the MSX really.

'Compliance' is all so subjective between riders I really need to just get one and try it I 'spose. I just love how compliant the H5102 is at 25psi though, it rides beautifully and I am reluctant to risk reducing that by a lot.

I rode Z10 quite a lot before and I know exactly what you mean :)...it was nothing close to that feeling of riding Z10 :)

i have 23 psi on my current tyre now :) and it just feels good 

• Like 1

Thanks great info, thanks! The comparison you are able to give, having ridden the Z10 is worth a lot :)

So heres the kicker... would you say that 23psi on the Battlax feels much harder than the stock MSX? I know this is the million dollar question and hard to answer, but anything you can provide would really help!