EUC World battery consumption in Android

Emil Bergvall

Hi,

I have recently both a GW wheel and have started using the EUC World app. App is great except the fact that it draws a LOT of battery at rest. For example today i had charged my phone fully in the morning (Galaxy S9+) and at 1400 EUC World app had used more than 11% of my total battery since last charge. I have not once opened the application on the phone so all consumption is being done in the background. 

I have looked through the app and cannot find any settings regarding power saving or similar functions. 

Anyone who has the same problem? Anyone who has had this or solved it? Has it worked on previous versions of EUC World?

Kind Regards, Emil

5 minutes ago, Emil Bergvall said:

World app. App is great except the fact that it draws a LOT of battery at rest. For example today i had charged my phone fully in the morning (Galaxy S9+) and at 1400 EUC World app had used more than 11% of my total battery since last charge. I have not once opened the application on the phone so all consumption is being done in the background. 

Normally EUC World needs to do gps logging in background. Otherwise one could not record tours with the phone turned off. So for half a day gps logging i'd say just 11% of battery used sounds very good!

You have logging/gps enabled?

9 minutes ago, Emil Bergvall said:

I have not once opened the application on the phone so all consumption is being done in the background. 

Seems you did not stop tour logging the last time you used EUC World? Or some automatic logging enabled? Was your wheel nearby, accidently turned on so euc world connected?

But i never really looked in all the tour options too much in detail - i start euc world with my ride and close it afterwards... 

One has to swipe from either side and confirm the dualog to close eucw.

Sorry for late reply Chriull. I was not notified about your reply for some reason. The wheel was turned of i double checked that. I had no tour ongoing but if the GPS was active in the background that could explain the issue for sure. 

I will try to check this during the weekend. My phone is in the shop with a smashed glass at the moment ;). Not due to riding though. 

Will get back when i have checked this again and let you know. 

• Like 1

Now i have done some more testing and i have double checked that i don't have any type of automatic logging activated or things like that. No such things active from what i can tell. The app is active in the sense that it is waiting to connect to my EUC but nothing else. It draws an insane amount of battery. More than any other even background intensive apps such as Facebook. I will submit it to the developer as a bug. As it is right now i have to shutdown the application hard between rides unless i want to walk around daily with a power bank. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NZRPpjjNDuhFQfi5A

Image above shows the app being active in the background for the full time since i took the phone of charging. Clearly something is very wrong in the coding of this app. 

Just now, Chriull said:

Maybe @Seba sees it hear and had an idea what's happening in your case!

Thanks. I can see on the reviews that i'm not the only one. I have sent an email to the official support mail as well. It's to bad on such a nice app to have such a flawed battery issue. 

• Like 2

Hi @Emil Bergvall I see you are Swedish from your screenshot. 

Just from my own observation I seen recently that I have a hard time closing the EUC.WORLD app. My Samsung S10e keeps relaunching it as it thinks it crashed. 

As soon I have my Samsung Galaxy watch active 2 connected this becomes even harder. 

I just saw @Chriull raising this in our beta discussion forum. So I didn't see if you have said anything about phone model. This might be helpful and what version of android your phone has. 

I suggest you e-mail that to @Seba too on his EUC support email address. 

15 hours ago, Emil Bergvall said:

Now i have done some more testing and i have double checked that i don't have any type of automatic logging activated or things like that. No such things active from what i can tell. The app is active in the sense that it is waiting to connect to my EUC but nothing else. It draws an insane amount of battery. More than any other even background intensive apps such as Facebook. I will submit it to the developer as a bug. As it is right now i have to shutdown the application hard between rides unless i want to walk around daily with a power bank. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NZRPpjjNDuhFQfi5A

Image above shows the app being active in the background for the full time since i took the phone of charging. Clearly something is very wrong in the coding of this app. 

I assume that you don't quit the app between your rides but just send it to the background. Is this right? EUC World isn't intended to be running idle. If you finish your ride, you should just close it. EUC World is using GPS to provide reliable tour recording feature, but also to verify EUC readings like distance and speed, so GPS will be activated on app startup and will be active even if wheel isn't connected. Previously GPS was only activated when starting tour recording, but many users reported that their tours were recorded unreliably. This was caused by GPS long warmup time. Now when GPS is activated on app startup, it can properly warmup and stabilize before you start tour recording. The only drawback is slightly higher power drain.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Seba said:

If you finish your ride, you should just close it.

How do i do that? There is no way to exit the app from what i can tell. Bringing up all apps and exiting the app still keeps it running in the background. The only way i have found is to go into apps and use the "Shut down forcefully" option. A very tedious way to close the app if you ask me. 

Is there another way? 

Edit: It's also worth mentioning that even if i reboot my phone the app is active in the background consuming battery. I don't even actively start the app. Just having it installed seems to be enough. 

3 hours ago, Unventor said:

This might be helpful and what version of android your phone has. 

I have a Samsung Galaxy S9+ running Android 10. 

Edited by Emil Bergvall

13 minutes ago, Emil Bergvall said:

How do i do that? There is no way to exit the app from what i can tell. Bringing up all apps and exiting the app still keeps it running in the background. The only way i have found is to go into apps and use the "Shut down forcefully" option. A very tedious way to close the app if you ask me. 

Is there another way? 

Sure :) As you're running Android 10 you're probably using gestures for navigation. Just swipe your finger from left screen edge to the right (default "back" gesture) twice. I will also add dedicated "Close app" menu item to the app menu.

15 minutes ago, Emil Bergvall said:

Edit: It's also worth mentioning that even if i reboot my phone the app is active in the background consuming battery. I don't even actively start the app. Just having it installed seems to be enough. 

It's normal, as there is log & tour synchronization that is run periodically to keep your data in sync. This however draws very small amounts of battery, so you shouldn't worry about it.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Seba said:

Sure :) As you're running Android 10 you're probably using gestures for navigation. Just swipe your finger from left screen edge to the right (default "back" gesture) twice. I will also add dedicated "Close app" menu item to the app menu.

I was actually not using gestures but turned it on to try and then i got the "Do you really want to close..." app dialog. Is there not way to get to this without gestures? I would suggest simply adding some kind of "Close application" button. 

19 minutes ago, Seba said:

It's normal, as there is log & tour synchronization that is run periodically to keep your data in sync. This however draws very small amounts of battery, so you shouldn't worry about it.

Ok thanks, i will keep an eye on this then for the future. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Daley1 said:

Good if there was a close app button.!

Definitely agree with this.  As the app is full screen you have to be 'creative' to access the back button to double-press to quit.  Took me a while to find this first time.  Swipe closing from the built-in task manager doesn't seem to work, it just seems to automatically restart.

@Seba: Would you consider a quit button somewhere?

• Like 1

Just now, StuartL said:

@Seba: Would you consider a quit button somewhere?

Please not try fix something what is not broken. App is great and optimized for use on EUC and is realy practical. How quit eucworld work now save for me many logs because i almost acidently quit when i put phone out of my pocket. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emil Bergvall said:

I was actually not using gestures but turned it on to try and then i got the "Do you really want to close..." app dialog. Is there not way to get to this without gestures? I would suggest simply adding some kind of "Close application" button. 

If you're not using gestures, you will have default on-screen navigation buttons. They however may not be visible by default (for example when app is in fullscreen mode). Just swipe up your finger from bottom of the screen and they should appear. Then tap "Back" button twice :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seba said:

If you're not using gestures, you will have default on-screen navigation buttons. They however may not be visible by default (for example when app is in fullscreen mode). Just swipe up your finger from bottom of the screen and they should appear. Then tap "Back" button twice :)

Just so everyone know we have been discussing this is the past, and yes @Seba, the problem we had with earlier pre 2.x version before you added this button is not back despite using the close app button. And this keep relaunching the app and right now I can't tell why if it is the watch app that is causing this or something else. 

I am running Android 10 with 1 august 2020 security sub update from Samsung. So I think both @Emil Bergvall and me are having same kind of problem. Like I said in our beta discussion forum, I have yet to see any real pattern in this but it seems the problem is just getting worse as time goes on. I really wish I had more constructive suggestion to what is going on. 

• Like 2

I think I found why my phone is losing battery a lot lately. And this is kinda silly too. At first I thought it had to do with newer versions of EUC.WORLD. But I couldn't understand why it didn't list this in my battery use report that is part of my Samsung android version. 

But what I did see was Telegram app using a lots of power. It is coherent with when I installed this due to my contacts with Inmotion about the V11. 

There might be something still with EUC.WORLD or maybe not at all. 

I have shared a video with @Seba what happens on my phone. I hope Seba can make sense of this and give him hints to work around the closing of the app being relaunched again. 

As for my phone I think it is time to get back to basic and clean out in all my apps.

• Like 2

I really give Seba a lot of credit and thank him for the effort of creating the EUC app. The problem is the battery life of both Samsung and Apple watches with only something like 300mah. On many occasions of using my Samsung S2 to monitor my riding, after several hours, battery was drained to 10-20%. I finally have given up on these watches and instead, I got the Lemfo Lemt 2.8 inch smartwatch which amazingly has 2700mah. On my latest 8 hours, 44 mile ride (of course, the ride didn't take 8 hours. It was the whole journey), using WheelLog app, afterwards I still have 70% battery left. What a difference... Very happy with this smartwatch! 

• Like 1

Maybee is unpopular but i no have strange batery drain nothing changed in my real world experience.

Phone battery 10% consumption (all aps and servicess together) eucworld in 2 hours 20 min today ride.And i have mobile data : ON GPS :ON VPN : ON BLuetooth conected ticwatch pro.

Ticwatch pro for long use time i just turn off monitoring hearth rate and my brigittnes is 3 of 5 manual setings is still visible on sun. Watch is wifi off location off only bluetooth ON (auto brigitnes can drain watch in 3 hours in open sunny day).

Here is tour what is 7hours 30 minutes ticwatch pro model 2018 i have not 2020. Batery survive because i can just one click switch to CRYSTAL display type(like old watches) shure eucworld is on background i can feel all vibration on display is date and time. If i need more info typicaly inclines i push right botom button/shortcut to eucworld directly. And i can optimimze climbing batery drain watching actual batery state and current monitor(yelow) and keep all in not push hard state.

This tour is road to second biggest hill in our country terain proffile is 270 meter to 1334 meter  ( 915 to 4330 foot on mountain peak i stay) 8km nonstop incline cost me +-68% battery. My weight with all gear and 2 chargers water etc was 138Kg MSP is just incline tank. Phone drain on this tour is bigger because nonstop map navigation aplication(mapy.cz) and voice output by MSP. I make 3 short stops for foot rest and mainboard cooling time my temperature when i decide stop is 75 celsius because my riding weight is overkill and i know it .

https://euc.world/tour/589675689778283

• Like 1

I think that this can be how some phone makers chose to keep power use in check. Modern phones are increasingly faster but battery has stayed at the same or release on increased in the same as cpu/you speed upgrade and then adding gps/bt/screen are "bigger" and brighter too. On most phones you can access 2 sub core either super fast or slower once to keep battery use down if you don't need this extra speed. There is something a out how Samsung do have to have "their" optimised power saving running go keep battery from draining.

The worst app so far is my Insta360 editing app. It drains so much power that even cable charging can barely keep it up. Well it can but phone and battery generate such heat the charging stops to protect the battery.once this happen the cable charging can't keep up.

So long story short, I am not a programmer so I can't really say what is going on. Even less how to improve it. 

But it come to a point where I have phone connected to a 10KmA powerbank when using EUC.WORLD.

I hope all of this helps you @Seba. I have tried to look for a pattern like I said. But covid-19 means I didn't ride as long rides as I used to or as frequent. Which basically sucks. But this is the world we live in. 

On 8/24/2020 at 4:35 AM, Unventor said:

Hi @Emil Bergvall I see you are Swedish from your screenshot. 

Just from my own observation I seen recently that I have a hard time closing the EUC.WORLD app. My Samsung S10e keeps relaunching it as it thinks it crashed. 

As soon I have my Samsung Galaxy watch active 2 connected this becomes even harder. 

I just saw @Chriull raising this in our beta discussion forum. So I didn't see if you have said anything about phone model. This might be helpful and what version of android your phone has. 

I suggest you e-mail that to @Seba too on his EUC support email address. 

I have a Galaxy S9+ and an Active Watch 2 draining my battery after a ride unless I force stop the app on my phone and cycle power on my watch. It may be a Samsung issue?