My first 2 days

WebDev

Just want to post a little update.  Today was day 4 of learning to ride my EUC.  I've gained enough confidence to start riding in public at slow speeds and it's great to see the reactions people have when they see me.  "How is he doing that!?" one kid asks his Mom.  "Whoa!  What is that!" exclaimed a group of Tennis players.  "Hell yeah! That's awesome!" said the group of people hanging out in front of the bar.  One person slowed his car down and asked if he could ride it.  I feel like everyone is cheering me on.  I live in a small country town so most people around here haven't seen anything like this before.

I'm currently struggling with turning right reliably, going down steep hills, and avoiding the wobble at ~20km/h, but I know with more time I'll get it down.

• Like 2

Just now, UniMe said:

omg... I'd actually be able to watch that video and find it funny if you had a helmet on. Instead I watched in fear and dread for your brain until I had to shut it off..

I got the helmet on day 2!  If you keep watching you'll see me wearing it.

Just now, UniMe said:

Whew... thanks man!! Really, day one when you just about went over backwards was hard to watch!

Yeah.  I shouldn't have been riding without a helmet, but it hadn't arrived yet and I was so excited to get started.  I limited the V8F to 15 km/h.  I strongly recommend anyone starting out to be decked out in protective gear from day 1.  I would have been scraped up badly had I not had my wrist & knee guards on as you can see in the video when I took that fall on the pavement.

• Like 1

You're full on like me though! that's why you are leaning so fast -- I've been riding for about 3 weeks now and am turning in circles, riding on the road at 30kph or so and starting to do some hill climbs!! Full face helmet and all the other bits, just like you on day 2! You'll get there fast as well -- nicely done.

The bit of gear I was missing on day one was elbow guards -- got a nice rash when I hit the street to remind me I'm mortal :) I also have elbow guards now as well -- looks like we have the same knee/shin guards, they've been working great!

Edited by UniMe
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, UniMe said:

The bit of gear I was missing on day one was elbow guards -- got a nice rash when I hit the street to remind me I'm mortal :) I also have elbow guards now as well -- looks like we have the same knee/shin guards, they've been working great!

That's funny.  Elbow guards is the one piece of gear I'm still missing.  I paid the price too, but I was actually happy to scrape some elbow skin off.  It had been a while.  I agree, the Leatt dual-axis knee shin guards are amazing!  They offer great protection, are a breeze to put on and off, and you hardly even notice them when they're on.

@WebDev This is really good for Day 1 & 2 dude. My first week of a few non-committal sessions, I was nowhere near staying on the wheel for more than a few feet LOL.

1 hour ago, WebDev said:

I'm currently struggling with turning right reliably

Easiest way is you go where you look, so if you look and face your torso right, your legs will tend to follow one step behind. If you can get to a point where you can slightly tilt the wheel body by making your right leg straight, while the left leg/knee bends upward a little, all while doing this, that would make it even easier to turn (your body stays relatively stacked and over the wheel center of mass).

1 hour ago, WebDev said:

going down steep hills, 

Well, get good on flats first, comfortable with all turns, braking etc, then take it slow.

Downhill is actually easier than you think, body just needs to be upright and perpendicular from ground level, so feeling like being back a little on the down slope. Learn how to make carves, turning perpendicular to the downward slope, so that you eliminate the downward acceleration for when you need to shave speed without braking (this is how we do in ski & snowboarding).

1 hour ago, WebDev said:

avoiding the wobble at ~20km/h, but I know with more time I'll get it down.

Speed wobbles result from trying to perfectly balance both feet, wheel body perfectly upright. Any wavering of unequal pressure from foot to foot at above a certain speed will result in the wobble.

Best way to eliminate wobbles is having the wheel body tilted slightly to one side (not perfectly upright), with the outer turn leg having slightly more weight emphasis (so if you pivot the wheel body leaning down to the left side rider perspective, then the right leg has slightly more weight emphasis than the left, whole body is stacked and over the wheel center of mass). Doing this will eliminate competing balance between left and right, and provide a vibration dampening, leaning slightly to one side. This will be harder to do if your ankles/heels are super narrow and hugging the wheel body.

Well, either way, at this stage, keep riding more than you walk. Ride everywhere!, mess around, and you'll definitely get there.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, WebDev said:

@houseofjob Thanks for the tips!  I just subscribed to your YouTube channel and saw that dude riding the KS16X on one leg spinning around.  Unbelievable what some people are capable of doing on these things...

LOL, thanks! Yeah, Neal is pretty good, I believe he does Cirque du Soleil (actually, there are a lot of cirque and carnival guys that do EUC routines in Vegas & France). That dude does a lot of crazy stuff with fire and other stuff too on his IG haha.

If you like tricks: 

@Hirsute / Damien is like God level (https://www.youtube.com/user/cirquehirsute)

Alex Segmuller / EWheelMotion is a fan favorite for his "picking up women" schtick and other crazy tricks (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9aYcb8ktwYNFYjHVQ_N_1A),

... and many guys like the crazy King Song employee that pops up in their demo videos (first one below)

giphy.gif

Hirsute:

Alex Segmuller:

... and I keep this YouTube PL of tricks (albeit hasn't been updated too much of late):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSzgd9ItyOw&list=PLC5AsBFMdyy079QPzEWjAsOthoHQHeSvb

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 2

@houseofjob 

I've seen some of Damien's videos before and holy crap is he amazing!  I wonder how many takes it takes to capture some of his tricks.  Some of his tricks look just about impossible to do.  Like when the EUC is rolling by itself, and he jumps on it going while going backwards?  I mean, that's just incredible!  I love to see people capable of hitting such high skill levels.  I have no desire to get that fancy, but it gives me confidence that I can get to the level that I want to attain.

Alex Segmuller is one I haven't come across yet.  I'm going to check him out and your playlist now.  Thanks man!

Edited by WebDev
  • Like 1

These guys are true daredevils.  They are toying with death by not wearing any protective gear.  All it would take is for the EUC to fail at the wrong moment.  It's almost frightening to watch if you think about it, but nevertheless amazing as can be.

I think today is my 9th day of riding.  I feel quite confident in my riding ability now.  I don't have to hug the wheel with my ankles or shins anymore.  I feel very relaxed when I'm on it like I'm just standing on the ground.  I hit 21 mph today which is almost the max this wheel is capable of.  I don't get the wobbles as much, and when I do, I've learned that pushing down on one foot works very well to eliminate it.

I just got back from a night ride where I had my side led's on and was jamming the Knight Rider theme.  What a blast!

Today is day 10.  I didn't ride yesterday.  Well guys... you were right.  The V8F is an excellent wheel, no doubt about that, but it has its limitations and today was the day that I felt it.  The speed limit and battery capacity is just not enough for me anymore.

I've been charging my wheel to ~80% but for now on I will be charging it to 100% to get the most range I can get out of it.

I'd love to order a new wheel right now, but with the S18 and V11 still in the pre-ordering phase,  and people still figuring them out, it doesn't seem like a wise thing to do.  And I can't see myself buying a new wheel that doesn't have suspension after hearing everyone's thoughts on how much an improvement it is.

So I guess I'll stick with the V8F for now, until the new suspension wheels get their issues worked out and the supply can meet the demand.  I think I maybe should have started with a V10F instead.  Consider this if you're in the market for your first wheel.

I guess it just depends on how much money you want to spend :)The KS 16x looks like a great wheel, I have the 18XL which is a really good cruiser and all rounder but I think the 16x might be more versatile and dirt worthy.

Perhaps you could develop some mad maneuvers on the V8f while you decide what to get next. Have you tried any off road riding, there's a great off road video thread on the forum. Off road rides look to be quite demanding and it may take you a while again to hit the limits of your wheel in the dirt.

Edited by UniMe

@UniMe

The KS16X was actually at the top of my list for some time.  I ended up with a V8F because it was about 1/2 the cost and I was afraid I might tear it up pretty bad while learning.  Of course, that wasn't the the case at all as I've only dropped the V8F a couple times in the very beginning.

I do like the V8F a lot for it's size, weight and nimbleness.  I will likely keep it even when I do upgrade since it's easy to take anywhere and fun for doing tricky/slow maneuvers.  I don't really regret purchasing it.  It has its place, even for advanced riders.  I knew I would eventually crave more speed/range I just didn't expect it to happen this fast.

I have tried some off-roading.  It's not the most comfortable experience on the V8F due to it's skinnier tire and lack of suspension.  Where I live, there are more off-road trails than there are paved bike paths, so some good off-road capability is something that I would love to have in a wheel.  I'm torn between the S18 and V11 still.  I love the V11's range but I think the S18 would let me go places I otherwise couldn't.  Like some of these ATV and MTB trails we have around here.

I almost wish there were no suspension wheels out.  I would order a new wheel today.  But I'm a fairly frugal person and I always try to get the best that I can for my money so I don't see how I could justify buying any other wheel other than the S18 or V11.

Edited by WebDev

4 hours ago, WebDev said:

I love the V11's range but I think the S18 would let me go places I otherwise couldn't.  

Be sure to read the S18 thread from page 111 onwards. It’s not the wheel to get especially if you don’t have access to a workshop so you can get the suspension working.

My video on my V11 vs S18 experiences is rendering atm, in which I go through the main issues on both wheels.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, WebDev said:

I do like the V8F a lot for it's size, weight and nimbleness.  I will likely keep it even when I do upgrade since it's easy to take anywhere and fun for doing tricky/slow maneuvers.  I don't really regret purchasing it.  It has its place, even for advanced riders.  I knew I would eventually crave more speed/range I just didn't expect it to happen this fast.

This is exactly why I would almost always recommend the V8F as the first learner wheel. It’s cheap and very easy to learn on. And you don’t need to get rid of it when you upgrade to a bigger wheel. You still want to have that light and small wheel for small errands or taking it in your car for the last mile etc. The big wheels at 25 kg are just not made for that and a V10F would still had to be upgraded and is not that much smaller and lighter. 

8 hours ago, WebDev said:

I love the V11's range but I think the S18 would let me go places I otherwise couldn't.  Like some of these ATV and MTB trails we have around here.

I have the V11 and love off-roading. And I’ve tested the S18. Even when they get the suspension to actually work properly, I still doubt it would become so great that it would allow you to go places the V11 wouldn’t. It’s really not a big difference and the V11 is actually very good. We are talking about very slow speed on those kinds of trails and the unsprung weight weight effect would become noticeable only at very high speeds. Looking at how KS is manufacturing the suspension system makes me doubt they even really understand what they designed. So far the V11 is beating the S18 hands down on off-road. We have to wait for comparisons with S18 that has a fixed suspension to see what the difference really is. 

Remember that all the talk here is comparing the minutiae of these wheels and then people like to emphasize them and make it black and white. It makes it easier to decide and compare. The differences between the top wheels are much smaller in real life. 

Edited by UniVehje
  • Like 2

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm not sold on either wheel yet.  In fact, I'm throwing the 16X back into consideration based on what I've heard some people say recently.  There's a lot of hype surrounding both the S18 and V11 and I'll be waiting to hear what people have to say about their production units after a month of ownership.  I have a feeling the V11 will come out on top overall, but we shall see.

In the meantime, I'm going to continue to spend time mastering this V8F.  I still have much to learn.  I'm also going to start charging it all the way up to 100%, because I was starting out at around 80% and I realized today after going out at 100% (84.5v) that the extra 20% makes a big difference. If I start at ~80%, I'm basically acting like it's a bad battery already, so what's the point?  Plus, @Marty Backe charges his EUC's to 100% all the time and hasn't had any issues.  So I think doing that will give me the range I need to be satisfied for now.

On another note, I ordered a chest protector so I'll be fully geared up now sans armored shorts (which I could use recommendations for).  I also had to get a rear-view mirror because I think it will prove invaluable now that I'm riding on the streets.  Safety first!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, WebDev said:

In the meantime, I'm going to continue to spend time mastering this V8F.  I still have much to learn

Good idea. You could easily ride the first 500-1000 km with the V8F before upgrading. Just more safe to learn at slower speeds first. And gives you time to consider what wheel to buy and for the first batch issues to be ironed out on the suspension wheels. 

22 minutes ago, WebDev said:

I'm also going to start charging it all the way up to 100%

Do it! Keeping the cells balanced is much more important than not charging to 100 %. Remember to even leave the charger on for some hours after it's finished. I'm charging to 100% most of the time and have no issues. If you had kept charging to only 80 % your battery would have died much sooner. 

• Like 1

The 16x is a pretty killer wheel. Real world 60 mile range. And the 3” tire does soak up the bumps rather well if you let the tire pressure down some.  The lights and speakers on it are very good also making it a real nice complete package. :)

• Like 1

So out riding today in my small town with less than 3k people, I ran into, of all things, someone else riding a PEV.  He was riding a a Boosted board and to my surprise he was outpacing me!  I stopped and talked to him and we got acquainted.  I'm thrilled to have found someone else that rides around here, and only a few blocks away from me no less.  At the same time, I'm a little annoyed that he can go faster than I can, lol.  I think maybe I am regretting starting with a V8F :( .  Those V11's can't hit the shelves fast enough, I know that.

In other news, I got my body armor today and I snapped this photo of me fully geared out.  I may have been a little inspired by Marty Backe.

Fully-Geared.jpg

I'm now totally prepared to take the next leap in wheel power.

I have a 360 camera coming.  I've been wanting one for some time to experiment with my VR headset but I could never really justify the cost.  Being able to capture my rides and share them with people has given me enough reason to go forward with it.  Should be fun :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WebDev said:

So out riding today in my small town with less than 3k people, I ran into, of all things, someone else riding a PEV.  He was riding a a Boosted board and to my surprise he was outpacing me!  I stopped and talked to him and we got acquainted.  I'm thrilled to have found someone else that rides around here, and only a few blocks away from me no less.  At the same time, I'm a little annoyed that he can go faster than I can, lol.  I think maybe I am regretting starting with a V8F :( .  Those V11's can't hit the shelves fast enough, I know that.

LOL we have EUCs that can almost double the speed of the top 24mph Boosted Stealth, why cap yourself again then with the gradually battery throttle-capping V11? ;)