what is the euc able to climb the steepest hill?

Hans wang

i have seen videos of wrong way doing hill climbs with an msp and he got to 40(?) degrees. i am wondering what wheel is able to climb the steepest. i have heard people say that the mcm5 is the best at climbing, i have heard tesla i have heard everything, it seems no one agrees.

• Like 1

MSP , 16X , MSS(aka specials EUC) if we talk about 40 degrees + Veteran sherman maybee (not tested yet 2,5Kw 35mm magnet make it possible)

What a marvelous demonstration of the difference between the perceived torque (ie. effortless acceleration) and actual measurable maximum torque! The ease of acceleration on a small tire easily fools us into thinking that there’d be much more where that came from. In reality the effortlessness tells us nothing about the actual torque.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

MCM5 placed last here

7 hours ago, mrelwood said:

What a marvelous demonstration of the difference between the perceived torque (ie. effortless acceleration) and actual measurable maximum torque! The ease of acceleration on a small tire easily fools us into thinking that there’d be much more where that came from. In reality the effortlessness tells us nothing about the actual torque.

Let’s not forget we’re competing with 1500w vs 2500w.

What a horribly bias test. Like I said, he had no powerpads on the MCM5. Just the trash grip from the stock pads.In the last hill, he STOPPED in the middle of the hill, which he did not do with any other wheel, yet the mcm5 was STILL able to go up it without beeping, without powerpads. 

The MSP obviously benefited the most here from the powerpads. Hilarious the degree of lean and subsequent bend at the waist he had to get up the hill which obviously wouldn’t be possible without the pads. MSS also had the pads. So naturally this is like awarding the win to the one who took steroids, although that’s not uncommon these days. 

Let’s also note that in the last hill the MCM5 was subjected to zero rolling start unlike the MSS, MSP, and Monster which had considerably faster rolling starts (even 1-2mph faster than starting at 0-1mph makes a huge difference). He does start rolling but then stops completely before going up the hill on the MCM5 and Nikola, which he doesn’t do on the bigger wheels. That makes a SIGNIFICANT difference in how far and fast you’ll get up the hill.

5/10. Very flawed test. 

Edited by Darrell Wesh

8 hours ago, Unicycle Freedom said:

I dont believe Mcm5 can climb 40 degrees, maximum up to 25 degress. Climbing steep hill base on speed and torque.

8 hours ago, DjPanJan said:

MSP , 16X , MSS(aka specials EUC) if we talk about 40 degrees + Veteran sherman maybee (not tested yet 2,5Kw 35mm magnet make it possible)

You want to have a real competition of climbing ability? 

Test all the wheels STOCK. None of this aftermarket pad addition crap. That’s literally like saying “yeah this car will go faster once you add XYZ to increase the horsepower”. I can’t believe people are linking such a sad misleading video. It looks like the Olympic Games out there though, with half the athletes clean and the rest dirty. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

Very flawed test. 

Isn't every test with an EUC flawed? Range depends on speed, rider weight, rider size, tyre inflation, wind, incline etc etc. Top speed depends on how willing to die the rider is. I know manufacturers report figures for a mythical 70Kg rider but few people believe the numbers even then. It seems a shame there isn't a standard way to test all wheels so they can be properly compared rather than relying on YT videos where sometimes the reviewer is a smidgen biased. Waterproofing, shock absorption, energy efficiency could be other interesting tests to add to the mix. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Darrell Wesh said:

And that is exactly why the MCM5 is unable to provide the torque of it’s bigger brothers.

5 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

You want to have a real competition of climbing ability?

The test was not a competition of hill climbing ability. It was a comparison of the maximum torque the various wheels can provide. They are a fundamentally different thing, and probably why you think so badly of the test.

5 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

That’s literally like saying “yeah this car will go faster once you add XYZ to increase the horsepower”.

If you can increase the horsepower of a car by adding a piece of foam, I’d say you have a very bright future ahead of you.

1 hour ago, Darrell Wesh said:

he had no powerpads on the MCM5.

He was still able to overload it. He wasn’t able to overload the MSP, even with pads and the much longer pedals.

A 14” 2500W EUC also wouldn’t benefit from the pads nearly as much, since the smaller tire requires a much smaller lean to accelerate.

For it’s size the MCM5 has great torque. And everybody knows accelerating on it requires the least effort. But the maximum torque the wheel can provide is a different measure.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

What a horribly bias test. Like I said, he had no powerpads on the MCM5. Just the trash grip from the stock pads.In the last hill, he STOPPED in the middle of the hill, which he did not do with any other wheel, yet the mcm5 was STILL able to go up it without beeping, without powerpads. 

The MSP obviously benefited the most here from the powerpads. Hilarious the degree of lean and subsequent bend at the waist he had to get up the hill which obviously wouldn’t be possible without the pads. MSS also had the pads. So naturally this is like awarding the win to the one who took steroids, although that’s not uncommon these days. 

Let’s also note that in the last hill the MCM5 was subjected to zero rolling start unlike the MSS, MSP, and Monster which had considerably faster rolling starts (even 1-2mph faster than starting at 0-1mph makes a huge difference). He does start rolling but then stops completely before going up the hill on the MCM5 and Nikola, which he doesn’t do on the bigger wheels. That makes a SIGNIFICANT difference in how far and fast you’ll get up the hill.

5/10. Very flawed test. 

he managed to overpower the mcm5 without power pads, and could not overpower the msp WITH power pads, i think that rules the mcm5 out of the question. and yes, my question was climbing ability not effortless acceleration, i have an mcm5 and i know how powerfull it feels. 

and lets forget what power rating these wheels have, that is part of the "competition".

14 hours ago, Unicycle Freedom said:

I dont believe Mcm5 can climb 40 degrees, maximum up to 25 degress. Climbing steep hill base on speed and torque.

i have been able to climb 25 degrees from a slow speed and keeping that speed on my 67v mcm5 (900w nominal motor) so i think the 84 volt would be able to climb closer to 30-35. i only weigh 65 kg with my gear though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

was still able to overload it. He wasn’t able to overload the MSP, even with pads and the much longer pedals

When did he overload it? It never beeped. Is that Loss of traction bit what you’re talking about as “overloaded”? Okay, lower the tire pressure. 

9 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

When did he overload it? It never beeped. Is that Loss of traction bit what you’re talking about as “overloaded”? Okay, lower the tire pressure. 

nope, he showed in the video (at ca. 10 mins) the wheel dipping forward because of not enough power, the mcm5 does not beep when overloaded, it beeps if the lean angle forward/sideways exeeds 35/45 degrees and if you push it to 80% of its top speed, first class and second class speed alarms can be turned off.

Edited by Hans wang

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

The test was not a competition of hill climbing ability. It was a comparison of the maximum torque the various wheels can provide. They are a fundamentally different thing, and probably why you think so badly of the test.

True. Fair enough 

• Like 2

Just now, Ben Kim said:

I think the MSpro (torque) should handle steep inclines the best on market. 

i think so to, just people say so many different things, as you can see reading through this thread :D