Itching for another wheel

egiljo

Hello EUC friends,

I've used a msx 84v for 2 years now, and have been throu the ninebot e+ (now my son's) and msuper v3 (rip) before this.

I love off-road, but also ride a lot of tarmac.

I'm super happy with the msx, but I want to have a additional wheel that is different to ride on for variety.

Is the z10 worth it? 

There are so many different opinions about this wheel making me very uncertain.

Any opinions?

• Like 1

The suspension wheels or Veterans new offering doesnt entice you? I hear the z10 is a very unique ride, tho I havent had the fortune to try one.

You’d be going backwards on the Z10. Possibility literally also, since the wider tire makes it easier... but I mean the Z10 is much slower, much smaller battery, weak braking, lousy stability on tilted or uneven surfaces, etc.

What kind of variety is it that you long for? A 16x3” tire could be interesting. Suspension would definitely be interesting. The Veteran Sherman gets very good reviews.

Btw, I ordered the V11 after two busy years on the 84V MSX...

• Like 1

Gotway Monster, V11, Veteran Sherman, those 3 should offer something unique to your use case.  Do your research and see which one best suits you!

(I have previously owned, or will soon own all three of these suggestions). 

Thanks for the feedback guys,

I think the Sherman is way overkill for me. To heavy and no use for the ekstra speed.

After crashing last year on my msx with getting concussion and 6 months going to giropractor/fysioteraphist, I have slowed down on the speed and are more interested in fun and playfull riding. Also slower off road and a more technical ride.

The suspension ks is interesting though, maybe v11 also. But I'm not quite sure about suspension concept is a step forward or to the side yet.

On off-road it's often important to have the pedals at a known hight to the ground. So you don't hit the rocks with your pedals when the suspension compresses.

Edited by egiljo

14 minutes ago, egiljo said:

On off-road it's often important to have the pedals at a known hight to the ground. So you don't hit the rocks with your pedals when the suspension compresses.

Both suspension wheels have enough clearance that the pedals will never be closer than about 15cm from the ground. That’s pretty much a normal pedal height in itself.

I've not written a suspension wheel of yet, but I'm not 100 % on the solution for my use case.

Wear and tear on heavy off-road/unproven durability.

Experience on hitting squishy terrain on sharp turns in the woods/technical trail riding with normal wheel, this don't give stability. Recon this could be issue with suspension compression also even on non squishy terrain. 

I want to see with feedback over time from other riders to see if this is worth a investment.

What intrigued me with z10:

High manuverability in slower technical riding

Redundancy on electronics.

Stable wide wheel, low weight point and gyro effects.

Physical involvement (lean in on turns) when riding/ride style on higher speeds on easier trails.

Against:

Uncertain availability on spare parts in the future

Is it worth it when I already have msx

1 hour ago, egiljo said:

Examples of trails I ride,

tq8ClKhWZ-c

I think I'll wait for production KS s18 before deciding to get more options about this one

Wish I had trails like that around me. And some of them almost look paved compared to the crappy trails that I have to ride.

Yes, this is some of the best trails around me and are great for riding.

They are man made for recreational walking and running, some also for bicycling/cross country skiing (in winter).

The ground also has some natural suspension since it's in the woods and a lot of soil in the ground. This is mostly great except for rainy periodes when it get a bit to mushy.

Edited by egiljo

10 hours ago, egiljo said:

After seeing this, I got a feeling I may have decided 😉

Just remember that you’re not only watching the S18, you’re watching one of the most skilled off-road riders on YT...

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to give an update to all with kind helping advice.

I was looking for a new riding experience and in the end I found out I had to widen my horizons to get a different experience.

I will still ride my MSX, but I'm now also riding my new.......

Onewheel XR+ and loving it 😱

Edited by egiljo

just based on your posts and feedback, you might still consider the KS 16x - It has that wider tire you seem to be interested in, really good track record at this point, a ton of range - and it doesn't sound like the 31mph limit is any issue.  People often comment on the 16x's off road ability, accessible torque with the 16" tire - and the pedals are a little higher on the most recent version (higher ground clearance).

• Like 1

Yes, I can see it may be regarded as cheating.

I used to s8board for 8 years in my youth, so the onewheel is like a "upgraded" ex girlfriend/first love 😅

Thanks for your tip Ben.

Yes, it's not about pushing speed for me any more, but technical skills after some crashes in high speed.

That's why I mostly do more technical trail riding instead of high speed these days.

I already have the MSX and it's excellent, so when it's time for the MSX to retire or to replace my son's 9bot I'll look into a new wheel.