Firmware 1.3.0 now released!

Cranium

The subject says it.  It is now out.  I don't know if it fixes things but by Ninebot releasing this one so quickly after 1.2.9, it does look like they realized there was an issue.  

Here is the odd thing...not all apps see it yet and I can't get it to install.

Ninedroid on the Android sees it is available.  
Screenshot_20151121-121127.png

Ninebot on the Android says 1.2.7 is the latest.

Screenshot_20151121-115802.png

Ninebot on the IOS sees it is available.  The text on the screen is wonky too!  lol

IMG_2146.PNG

IOS showing new version available

IMG_2147.PNG

Ninebot on the IOS sees it is available but won't download it.

IMG_2148.PNG

The Ninedroid on the Android says it downloads fine (too quickly though) then fails to install due to a "Data size out of range".  I think this means it didn't really download anything and has an empty file that it tried to read in and error'd out.

Screenshot_20151121-122338.png

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a general rule of thumb, unless you've already updated to a known faulty version of firmware (and your Ninebot has survived it), and maybe even then, I'd still wait at least a couple of days to see if they pull this release also. If you've updated to version 1.2.6 or 1.2.9, better not turn the unit on (except for update) or try to ride it... Unless you're willing to risk it blowing. 

Curiously their change log doesn't list the known faulty versions of 1.2.6 and 1.2.9 ;)  Also the versions 1.2.4, 1.2.5 and 1.2.8 apparently never made it to circulation? At least I don't recall anyone asking anything about those versions here in the forums...

1 minute ago, esaj said:

As a general rule of thumb, unless you've already updated to a known faulty version of firmware (and your Ninebot has survived it), and maybe even then, I'd still wait at least a couple of days to see if they pull this release also.

I completely agree @esaj.  Wait for others to report in.  In my case, I'm trying to update a board that is already blown.  No harm can come to it. :D

@DangerousDick, you may should consider going to this firmware now since you are running 1.2.9.

OK, just got back from a ride now it's dark and quiet on the local business park, no problems - everything working fine for me.  I pushed it right to the limit (12.5mph for mine) before kick-back etc. and was able to hold it at a steady 12mph for just under a mile before the cold got the better of me and I came home.

Saw the thread mentioning the update and thought I'd leave it as it was but then I wondered if it should be updated so got it out and tried with the app - keeps telling me everything is up to date on the latest level - V1.2.9.  Even tried updating the app and that's also up to date on V3.1.6 R

Now what?  Am I just waiting for the inevitable?  Is there 'unseen' damage being done to the boards components every time I jump on?  Or is it just fine as it is?

Too many questions and don't think I'm going to be getting any answers tonight so I think I'll pack it in for the night and look at it again in the morning :D

I tried to install 1.3.0, but got an error when using the ninedroid application, the same data size out of range error as shown at the beginning of the thread. I tried using the ninebot application but it says 1.2.7 is the latest version (that's what I'm still on). I'm on android. Scared to try it again after hearing all the issues, especially since this is the first day I've been able to actually ride it on paths and such! :)

Sorry, should have mentioned - I'm using Android.  Can't use IOS as I don't have anything with bluetooth V4.

Just tried on the old Ninedroid App and it failed as already stated above - get 'Tip' and 'Happened error when download file!(Create directory()storage/sdcard0/Ninedroid/NinebotOneV1.3.0/ failed!) Do you want to try again?' on the screen.

All fun 'n' games :P

I suspect Ninebot has pushed out a blank file as a place holder for them to get an actual fix out.

Better to have people get errors on a non existent file than to keep downloading the one that is breaking things.

@DangerousDick, I'm curious as to what version board you have.  Mine is 1.31.  I would be very cautious riding on the 1.2.9 version.  Especially since after one day Ninebot has made it unavailable.

17 minutes ago, Cranium said:

I suspect Ninebot has pushed out a blank file as a place holder for them to get an actual fix out.

Better to have people get errors on a non existent file than to keep downloading the one that is breaking things.

That same thought actually crossed my mind also... Better keep the warning-posts pinned for now.

Board is V1.3 - on both machines I have.

Very cautious, they've got a good 10 hours before I get anywhere near ready to ride again in the morning - and if it's a cold as it's been today then it'll be a few hours longer ;)

Don't worry - I've been practicing the PLF which I'm sure will come in handy if I get 'thrown' (Parachute Landing Fall) even if it's not from any real height it 'programmes' the body for dissipating 'crash' energy.  Essential for the other hobby - Paragliding :D

IMG_20151116_103207aa.jpg

55 minutes ago, Cranium said:

@DangerousDick, I'm curious as to what version board you have.  Mine is 1.31.  I would be very cautious riding on the 1.2.9 version.  Especially since after one day Ninebot has made it unavailable.

That's it....blank file to stop 1.2.9 from loading.  Wish they included details.  I think we need to have someone who speaks Chinese find an employee on FB as an insider 

On 11/22/2015, 3:32:26, DangerousDick said:

Board is V1.3 - on both machines I have.

Very cautious, they've got a good 10 hours before I get anywhere near ready to ride again in the morning - and if it's a cold as it's been today then it'll be a few hours longer ;)

Don't worry - I've been practicing the PLF which I'm sure will come in handy if I get 'thrown' (Parachute Landing Fall) even if it's not from any real height it 'programmes' the body for dissipating 'crash' energy.  Essential for the other hobby - Paragliding :D

Please make an instructional video of PLF for us to learn.:)

Too cold for me to make video without shaking too much - these Polar Arctic winds are a bit chilled :( plenty of great instructional video on you-tube if you google the PLF ;)

1 hour ago, Cranium said:

V1.3.0 is now actually released.  

I have downloaded it and successfully upgraded my Ninebot One E+ board from 1.2.7 to 1.3.0.  

Screenshot_20151123-021340.thumb.png.1b5

Just a few hours too late for me :( hope it works OK for everyone else - but be careful with it, took a couple of days and a few hours for mine to fail under the previously issued version.

Right now I have the Ninebot app removed from my iPhone and I am not going to install any new firmware.

As they say, if it ain't broken, don't fix it!  And, my confidence in Ninebot is tenuous at best.

Cheers,

Jim

7 hours ago, JFP9 said:

Right now I have the Ninebot app removed from my iPhone and I am not going to install any new firmware.

As they say, if it ain't broken, don't fix it!  And, my confidence in Ninebot is tenuous at best.

Cheers,

Jim

If you aren't going to use the app, I would recommend to at least use the app to set the bluetooth pin so that someone malicious cannot potentially update the version for you from their phone's Ninebot app. Keep in mind that their bluetooth pin stuff is buggy, and doesn't work well on all phones, or operating systems.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am or concerned about a rogue Bluetooth signal.  Half the time my Bluetooth wouldn't connect on my Ninebot, and we I haven't seen anything that remotely looks like a electric unicycle ever here in west central Florida.  (I'm OK with taking my chances).

Cheers,

Jim

I just got my replacement control board to replace the one that fried.  It is a version 1.3 board with a N10 serial number and is running V1.2.2 firmware.  The original board was a version 1.31 board with a N20 serial number and was running V1.2.7 firmware when it fried but I upgraded it to V1.3.0 yesterday just to do it.

I plan on upgrading this new N10 board to V1.3.0 once I have the unlock code to get it working from Ninebot.

Archived