Firmware 1.3.0 now released!

Cranium

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cranium:  So you had a N20 V.1.3.1 board and they sent you a downgraded N10 V1.3.0 board?

I can't recall your warrantee issues (China purchase not US I think), but are you OK with receiving an older board for your fried newer board?

Not judging, just ask'n.  

Cheers,

Jim

3 hours ago, esaj said:

I thought you were on 1.2.9 when it fried?

@esajIt was 1.2.7 for mine.  My board fried on Nov 16th.  1.2.9 came out on Nov 20th.  

9 hours ago, ninebot one p said:

Pardon My ignorance what is the unlock code used for?

@ninebot one p I believe this is some sort of protection that Ninebot has implemented into their hardware to prevent unauthorized use.  

23 minutes ago, JFP9 said:

Cranium:  So you had a N20 V.1.3.1 board and they sent you a downgraded N10 V1.3.0 board?

I can't recall your warrantee issues (China purchase not US I think), but are you OK with receiving an older board for your fried newer board?

Not judging, just ask'n.  

Cheers,

Jim

@JFP9 Yes, I was downgraded.  I'm was definitely not happy about it initially.  But once I looked the specs of the MOSFETs, I'm on the fence.  The 1.31 board MOSFETs are 80V 100A and able to dissipate up to 176W.  The 1.3 board MOSFETs are 75V 80A and able to dissipate up to 300W.

So while the older MOSFETs can't handle as much voltage or amperage as the newer ones, they can dissipate a lot more heat!  And it is more about the heat than the amps in this case.

I think updating to 1.3 (or any firmware update)  and then briefly go around the block doesn't really tell us anything. In my opinion one should ride at least 50 miles or so in varying conditions to determine its stability.  But again by the time we finish 50th mile there is another version waiting for upgrade. What a mess with Ninebot.

Agreed, long term use with 1.3 is ideal, but many 1.2.9 users report their boards fried shortly after the upgrade.  I don't think anyone got anywhere near 50 miles to test the firmware update.   I'm concerned about my E+ board frying in 5 miles after an update more than the ride ability after 50 miles. 

Cheers,

Jim

9 hours ago, Cranium said:

@esajIt was 1.2.7 for mine.  My board fried on Nov 16th.  1.2.9 came out on Nov 20th.  

@ninebot one p I believe this is some sort of protection that Ninebot has implemented into their hardware to prevent unauthorized use.  

@JFP9 Yes, I was downgraded.  I'm was definitely not happy about it initially.  But once I looked the specs of the MOSFETs, I'm on the fence.  The 1.31 board MOSFETs are 80V 100A and able to dissipate up to 176W.  The 1.3 board MOSFETs are 75V 80A and able to dissipate up to 300W.

So while the older MOSFETs can't handle as much voltage or amperage as the newer ones, they can dissipate a lot more heat!  And it is more about the heat than the amps in this case.

Wow that's interesting on the mosfets.  I have a feeling all the n20 that saw speed boosr with 1.2.7 may begin to have shortened lives..

#P&J, Yea, it was suggested by someone else that the 1.2.9 may have been for just P owners, and no one put the breaks on halting the firmware update for other 9B1 owners.  Hence, I am curious if any 9B1 Non-P owners have successfully updated to 1.3 without the contraindications (face plant and burned board).   I still have not reinstalled the 9B1 app on my iOS and do not plan to at this point.  Just curious.

BTW, I have been using Trails on my iOS (and it is Apple Watch friendly too)!  

Cheers,

Jim

We at FORWARD California understand how frustrating it has been for Ninebot One owners that have had damage caused by the v1.2.9. firmware. As the Northern California distributor for NINEBOT INC we would like to send out an apology. If there is anything we can do to help don't hesitate to contact us. We will do our best to get you back up and Rolling.

Thank you very much for this kind proposal.

One thing you could do would be contacting Ninebot to obtain strong insurances that 1.3.0 firmware has been fully tested on each existing platforms (C, C+, E, E+, P) with some elements (statistics ? test description ?) that would bring back confidence among customers.

We  are in a very fuzzy situation where every owner who has upgraded from 1.2.2 is afraid of consequences (shortened timelife of hardware, accidents) and would like to retrieve peace of mind when riding.

2 hours ago, SlowMo said:

Before the upgrade I had a Ninebot One. After the upgrade I have a Ninebot Zero. Isn't that cool? :D

Makes a pretty good 'Door-stop' tho - or even a hefty 'Paper-weight' ;)

I've been told there are no boards in stock and I'm going to have to wait till mid-December for mine to be fixed :( at least I've been given the option of returning the unit for repair or receiving the board to try fitting myself?

45 minutes ago, DangerousDick said:

Makes a pretty good 'Door-stop' tho - or even a hefty 'Paper-weight' ;)

I've been told there are no boards in stock and I'm going to have to wait till mid-December for mine to be fixed :( at least I've been given the option of returning the unit for repair or receiving the board to try fitting myself?

Is the replacement coming from Ninebot in China? Then my board might also be in the wait list. They just told me they are sending it soon.

Just now, SlowMo said:

Is the replacement coming from Ninebot in China? Then my board might also be in the wait list. They just told me they are sending it soon.

Not heard anything from China, this is from the UK distributor I bought from - SpeedyFeet (Ian).

All boxed up ready for a return but it's 18.5kg package and the 'cheaper' option of shipping will only take up to 15kg :( got to look around some more, or even make a trip down there myself just to drop it off (only 135 miles each way!).

Just now, DangerousDick said:

Not heard anything from China, this is from the UK distributor I bought from - SpeedyFeet (Ian).

All boxed up ready for a return but it's 18.5kg package and the 'cheaper' option of shipping will only take up to 15kg :( got to look around some more, or even make a trip down there myself just to drop it off (only 135 miles each way!).

It would be cheaper if they send you the replacement board (shipping at their cost) instead of sending the whole unit for repair since this is a warranty issue.

13 minutes ago, SlowMo said:

It would be cheaper if they send you the replacement board (shipping at their cost) instead of sending the whole unit for repair since this is a warranty issue.

Yeah, it was offered and I'm perfectly happy to do this, but there's a bit more to it than just fitting the board - some kind of 'unlocking' by the app to programme the serial number etc. and I just though if they had it there they could make absolutely sure all was well with the rest of it before sending it back.  Peace of mind :)

Who knows, maybe somebody in China with a conscience might be able to get me a board quicker (had parts send from that area before and they've been on my doormat within five days!)?

I did the board replacement myself last night.  It went smoothly and my E+ is now back to being functional.  I didn't get to test it out much yet though.  I just rode it around inside the house.  But tonight I'll take it out to give it a proper test then do the 1.3 upgrade.

The process for updating the serial number to unlock the board is very easy.  For that matter, the process of swapping the main board is also very easy.  Very little disassembly is required.  It is a 30 minute process from start to riding again.

20 minutes ago, Cranium said:

I did the board replacement myself last night.  It went smoothly and my E+ is now back to being functional.  I didn't get to test it out much yet though.  I just rode it around inside the house.  But tonight I'll take it out to give it a proper test then do the 1.3 upgrade.

The process for updating the serial number to unlock the board is very easy.  For that matter, the process of swapping the main board is also very easy.  Very little disassembly is required.  It is a 30 minute process from start to riding again.

Good to know - just a case of waiting for the board then :) going to be a long couple of weeks!

I did my testing of the replacement main board on 1.2.2.  About 1.5 miles of riding at the limit of it beginning to tilt back.   One thing about this firmware I noticed is that in my house when turning right, it would lean over further than when turning left.  I think the later versions of firmware compensated for the gyro/accelerometer being off axis better.  This version also seems to tilt back faster than 1.2.7 when you approach a limit.  

I thought it was going slower so rode with my Gamin 1000 bike computer and the speed is right where it is supposed to be.  I averaged 12.5 MPH and the tiltback would start about 13.5 MPH.  My max speed was 14 MPH.

Garmin ride1.PNG

I got back home and immediately upgraded to 1.3.0.  I've only ridden it around the house so far but it is more like the smoothness I remember riding 1.2.7.  The turning is also more even.  I'll test more later.

Screenshot_20151125-163902.thumb.jpg.fac

@Cranium :   What is your maximum speed of your N20 9B1 (in the app) with your N10 motherboard and firmware 1.3.0 now?

You always have the N10 serial, right ?

Is your 9B1 slower than you had your N20 motherboard? 

I always thought the difference of maximum speed between N10 and N20 is just a question of serial number...

I ask this to you because I have a N10 and a N20 at home... ;-)

Archived