Firmware 1.3.0 now released!

Cranium

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2015-11-24 05:39:50, Cranium said:

I plan on upgrading this new N10 board to V1.3.0 once I have the unlock code to get it working from Ninebot.

How long before you received the code?

Hey Ninebot Inc! How about sending out the code with the tracking for the control board to reduce the workload for your engineers? If it was summer now I would go crazy with this slow customer service.  

2 minutes ago, Viktiga said:

How long before you received the code?

Hey Ninebot Inc! How about sending out the code with the tracking for the control board to reduce the workload for your engineers? If it was summer now I would go crazy with this slow customer service.  

I'm afraid the engineer is on vacation and is not receiving calls or messages.

4 minutes ago, SlowMo said:

I'm afraid the engineer is on vacation and is not receiving calls or messages.

Well that proves my point. If it takes them a week to read each mail they could atleast cut the amount of mails in half as EVERYONE(?) that changes boards needs that code.

11 hours ago, FORWARD california said:

Hi Guys, 

Unfortunately we cant generate codes for the Control board. We also have to contact the engineer at Ninebot inc. We are hoping Ninebot inc. comes up with a more efficient way to activate the new Control board once its installed. 

Yeah, I mean that is man hours in the drain for no reason. Should be easy to defend at the next project meeting. 

FYI. It's been 10 days since I received the (wrong) tracking number and 5 mails back and forward instead the mail should state: "please send us the code you get when you have changed the control board and you will receive a password." Then they should have a non-engineer just mail codes to customers. My two cents.

• 2 weeks later...

Warning!

Got the Rodeo/Tilt Problem with my 3days old NB1 after around 20km with Firmware 1.3.0. (I drove around 20km with Firmware 1.3.0)

It happened at Full Speed (no beeps)!!!! (I just acceleratet for 3 - 5 seconds to max Speed before it happened) (Accu was around 50%)(Engine Cool)

Luckely i could find enough Balance and tamed the Bull.

Serial Nr. N20EA1526A2599.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2015 at 10:36 PM, Viktiga said:

Yeah, I mean that is man hours in the drain for no reason. Should be easy to defend at the next project meeting. 

FYI. It's been 10 days since I received the (wrong) tracking number and 5 mails back and forward instead the mail should state: "please send us the code you get when you have changed the control board and you will receive a password." Then they should have a non-engineer just mail codes to customers. My two cents.

@Cranium @Viktiga I finally received my board and battery but when powering on, the motor does not have any response and the lights are just blinking. Do I also need the unlock code? The board I recieved ir version 1.3.1 and with firmware 1.2.5.

Just now, SlowMo said:

@Cranium @Viktiga I finally received my board and battery but when powering on, the motor does not have any response and the lights are just blinking. Do I also need the unlock code? The board I recieved ir version 1.3.1 and with firmware 1.2.5.

Yes...once you get the unlock code it will fire up.  Until then the motor remains disengaged.  

I do not understand because my case was different. My plate came unlocked, with version 1.3.0 and from the minute 0 pudeo manage my ninebot. After 2 days the engineer gave me the code to make the change serial number. I'm lucky, but that just me?

I Disconnected the battery, pushed the motor connector a bit more to lock in then reconnected the battery. I switched it on and the motor responded at last! Wow! So I immediately switched off the power and closed the board and battery compartments to do a test run. When I switched it on again, it did stand firm then made 2-3 sudden jolts and I smelled something burning so I immediately switched off the power. Upon opening the mainboard compartment and trying to find the source of the smell, it appeared to be coming from the motor connection to the mainboard which now seemed to be soldered tight. I forced it loose and now I am again back to Ninebot Zero. It seems that my motor was also previously damaged and now it also damaged the mainboard connector. What I got left is a new battery pack which I won't be able to use since it is 15S and a nice case for display. 

r78w3b.jpg

fm1etc.jpg

You know, I remember a time, not so long ago, when Ninebot was considered a reliable and high quality brand... now I'm not so sure anymore, with everyone's mainboard blowing up after each firmware upgrade. They really need to step up their QA...

Hi all, I've got a firmware question regarding Ninebot One C+. This thread almost provided a reply ("Don't!"), but here goes anyway:

The C+ shipped with firmware 1.2.0, and the iPhone app prompts for 1.3.5. Should I upgrade?

It boils down to whether there are known serious issues with the 1.2.0, but I was not able to find the firmware change log, though many in this thread refer to it. (Link, anyone?) I'm tempted to upgrade, since I have noticed some quirks, like pedals sometimes tilting forward (can't figure out the logic) enough to impede tight turns, but nothing serious. We certainly have not pushed the device to its limits yet.

Cheers, and thanks in advance!

P.S. I just got the Ninebot One C+ two days ago, and it's been super fun learning a new skill! I can't recall being this excited in a long while. I'll try to post learning experiences in a few days as I get more data, like learning times of family members.

1 hour ago, Skara said:

The C+ shipped with firmware 1.2.0, and the iPhone app prompts for 1.3.5. Should I upgrade?...   ...I'm tempted to upgrade, since I have noticed some quirks, like pedals sometimes tilting forward (can't figure out the logic) enough to impede tight turns, but nothing serious.

If you are not anxious to update, have you tried changing the riding mode to a lower number (Firmer)?  I'm not sure where you are now, but I ride on 0 and it's much more responsive.  I'm not even 100% positive 1.2.0 has that option since I've never used it.

@Skara I'm still riding firmware 1.2.2 so it is like we are cousins, er.. or something!   I was surprised at first at the pedals tilting forward.  This seems to happen when you make a turn.  It was shocking to me, and I didn't understand it.  But now I do.  I mean physically I understand it.  When you make a tight turn by leaning the wheel the pedals do dip to the front and once you are used to it is kind of helpful.  That is not a bug.  It is intended.  

Also sometimes when you slow down from a faster speed the pedals will gently lean back just a little bit.  This too is a feature, not a bug.  

You will get used to these things.  I have stated my strong opinion on the 1.3.5 firmware update thread.  I don't think this time in history is the best time to accept firmware upgrades from Ninebot, as I maintain that their business process surrounding this is broken.   I hope they one day get their act together, but for now 1.2.2 works great for me and I do not remember hearing anything bad about 1.2.0.  Were I in your position I would sit tight for a while.  Too many bad firmware updates were produced recently that had dangerous consequences for either the rider or the bot.  Good luck with your decision. 

And yes, 1.2.2 has riding modes to choose from, so I suspect 1.2.0 had that as well.  I doubt this affects the pedal tilting due to a turn, though.  You will get used to it and maybe even like it as I have come to do. 

On December 29, 2015 at 1:47 PM, esaj said:

You know, I remember a time, not so long ago, when Ninebot was considered a reliable and high quality brand... now I'm not so sure anymore, with everyone's mainboard blowing up after each firmware upgrade. They really need to step up their QA...

@esaj I feel very fortunate in that I believe I bought in a previous "sweet spot" for Ninebot Ones.  Mine performs very very well, I've hit 15 mph and never had a failure of any kind.  I "wisely" stuck with firmware 1.2.2 which works very very well.   I agree with your assessment that they are going through some bad times in terms of the quality they are putting out, and we will have to see if they ever are able to fix their issues.  I hope that they will, but it may take some time. 

@SlowMo  Sorry to hear about your NB issue.  That is some crap you have to deal with!  What I don't get is that kind of melting would require a lot of current.  Why didn't the overload protection kick in?  Did you shunt your battery?  Or perhaps the BMS was malfunctioning.

33 minutes ago, Cranium said:

@SlowMo  Sorry to hear about your NB issue.  That is some crap you have to deal with!  What I don't get is that kind of melting would require a lot of current.  Why didn't the overload protection kick in?  Did you shunt your battery?  Or perhaps the BMS was malfunctioning.

Yes, this unit's protection did not work during the first accident. I was lucky to come home and sense something burning. Otherwise the batteries could have had a thermal runaway and there would be another house burned in the news. This second time, I received a new battery and motherboard. The new battery pack didn't burn this time and survived. The mainboard seems to function too and is still connecting with the app but will be useless due to the burned connector. Shouldn't it be that when there's overheating, the unit should at least shutdown as a protection and could be reset?

Apparently, Ninebot One's warranty claims  are 10/1000 units sold. So it should still be considered safe (to the lucky ones).

1 hour ago, SlowMo said:

Yes, this unit's protection did not work during the first accident. I was lucky to come home and sense something burning. Otherwise the batteries could have had a thermal runaway and there would be another house burned in the news. This second time, I received a new battery and motherboard. The new battery pack didn't burn this time and survived. The mainboard seems to function too and is still connecting with the app but will be useless due to the burned connector. Shouldn't it be that when there's overheating, the unit should at least shutdown as a protection and could be reset?

Apparently, Ninebot One's warranty claims  are 10/1000 units sold. So it should still be considered safe (to the lucky ones).

I don't know about the validity of their claim about warranty support.  But I'll bet they have had a big spike in the past couple of months!  lol

I hope they replace your whole unit for you!  

I look forward to opening my batteries now to see what their BMS is actually doing.

10 hours ago, dpong said:

I was surprised at first at the pedals tilting forward.  This seems to happen when you make a turn.  ...  That is not a bug.  It is intended.  

Thanks for the confirmation! For the first hour I thought I was imagining it, but then caught it on video while my daughter rode the wheel and confirmed it was real. The comments in the 1.3.5 thread indicate that the tilting is gone or less severe in that version, but I think I will sit tight for a while while the people on the bleeding edge test the 1.3.5. Occasional bruise is ok and part of sports, but I've got kids also sharing this wheel, so don't want to risk them bleeding.

10 hours ago, SuperSport said:

If you are not anxious to update, have you tried changing the riding mode to a lower number (Firmer)?  I'm not sure where you are now, but I ride on 0 and it's much more responsive.  I'm not even 100% positive 1.2.0 has that option since I've never used it.

It has riding modes and I'm riding on the default 3. I still feel a little clumsy on the wheel, and was waiting to get more experience before tweaking, but your comment makes it sound like I will try it sooner. Thanks!

P.S. Just noticed: I subconsciously skip images, so missed the screen shot change log in Cranium's thread-starting post. Embarrassing. 

Archived