First Big Fall

Peter Seabrook

Hey guys,

Glad to join the community here.

I've had my Ninebot One E+ now for a week and I am absolutely loving it. Learning to ride it was quite a challenge especially turning confidently. Still don't feel confident to ride around people yet as I've only taken out on the streets twice now.

Tonight I had my first big fall going for my second night ride out in the public. I am still trying to understand what happened. I trying to kick up the speed as fast as possible(maybe I was showing off to some guys that were heckling me form behind haha). Anyway it felt like a bit of hard kick back, first time I've experienced it actually and it was probably the fastest I had ever gone, probably around 20km/h. It felt as if the wheel slipped and came back from under me and I went forward flat on my side. Looks like I have a broken or at least severely bruised rib along with some really hurt pride and a little distaste for my Ninebot now. It didn't shut off so I doubt the problem was an un-expected shutdown but I am 85% sure it was me that was the problem being too inexperienced.

If anyone has anything other explanations to this I'd love to hear it. I was riding on firmware 1.2.3 but have no updated to 1.2.7 but I have not ridden yet as I will probably be out for the next 4-6 weeks it seems.

Thanks guys,

Peter.

Sorry to hear about your fall.  It might be that you were riding with the speed limited mode of 12khp checked and when the tilt back sets in, you were not able to react accordingly and got outbalanced. This thing happens to most first time users. Hope you get well soon.

2 minutes ago, Peter Seabrook said:

Cheers @SlowMo.

No, speed limit wasn't enabled. At least the light wasn't on on my phone.

However I am thinking more and more that it was me being out balanced from tilt back.

Oh well. I miss riding it already!

I still ride even when I had a stretched rib which happened when I was trying to catch my MCM2s after an abrupt dismount. I got my fix with just being able to glide slowly in circles and along the hallway inside our building floor during those times. Rib injury takes  a lot of time to heal. :)

Hi Peter,  Sorry to hear you had a nasty fall.  You can really cause damage if you come off at top speed :-(

It definitely sounds like tilt back.  The speed and severity of the tilt back is directly proportional to the speed at which you accelerate beyond past the max speed.  I almost got caught out by this in the early days when I was crossing a wide road and wanted to get across fast so planted it and tilt back was very quick very suddenly with pedals almost vertically back within a second or two.  I just managed to stay on and not slip off the pedals but V scary as was in middle of main raid when happened!  Luckily I lived and learned but I have had 3 nasty falls in the first 3 weeks of ownership, 2 where I accelerated too fast and overpowered the device and another where my right pedal caught the edge of a wall, the NB1 stopped and I did my superman impression.  In the first 2 off;s, basically I pushed the motor too hard too fast (zero to max speed in 10 meters or so) where there was not enough power left in the gyro for the pedals to resit my lean so it just gave out and nose dived (with me following suit!).  This was around 500 miles ago and lessons learned but I now always ride with wrist protectors and never put my hands in my coat pockets so I can always put them out in front to break my fall if NB1 ever shuts down unexpectedly.  I also limit my speed (95% of the time) to 8-9 mph max (not via the app just my judgement) - riding, relatively, slow is the price I pay for deciding not to wear a helmet.

Hope you recover soon.... oh btw - I have also fallen off very publicly in town  and some folks do laugh as for them it reinforces their negative view of these devices .... you gotta brush it off and get back on .... soon it'll all be second nature and everyone will be more impressed than critical.... I haven't had a fall in about 500 miles and I ride it to work and back every day.  99% of comments are positive and friendly as I ride very carefully around folks so they see it as a curiosity and not a hazard!.   Only us Ninebotters know what everyone else is missing. Trust me...just ride responsibly and safely and the fun will always continue ..... 

7 hours ago, Peter Seabrook said:

Cheers @SlowMo.

No, speed limit wasn't enabled. At least the light wasn't on on my phone.

However I am thinking more and more that it was me being out balanced from tilt back.

Oh well. I miss riding it already!

sorry for your fall.

I think it is the tilt back as well.

It has happened to me, but I always managed to keep my balance.

Each time I fell from the 9B1, it was because of me hitting something with the pedal or me loosing balance.

I have to admit, I'm still sometime surprised by the tilt back intensity in some cases (some accelerations mostly).

Safe ride to you all !

Sorry about the crash! Just a matter of time for me I think, although I did crash good on a "hoverboard" at speed. Yes the kickback freaked me out the first time. The unit got all "floaty" on me. Now I just ride it like a wave until it settles out. Still it's literally unsettling.

Tilt back it could be dangerous at begin. It takes time to get used to it.

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/826-tilt-back-is-dangerous/#comment-8091

Now I have more experience on this, I think that to ride in soft modes (mode 5 or 6) could help to deal with it, since all the ride is more "floaty" and hence you learn to keep your balance with your feet over a unstable surface. It's just my 2 cents...

Hi Peter, sorry to hear of your fall. I too have only had 6hrs riding time on my 9BO e+, and live in Melbourne CBD.

in the last week Ive only just had the confidence to ride it in public and "touch wood" havent had a fall yet, but Im pretty careful about my speeds, and definitely havent been up to 20+ kmh yet, not sure I need to in the CBD.

One needs always to be aware of others around us, and sudden moves by people, cars, dogs etc. I have a rule atm that I wont go any faster than I can run it out at.

I know if Im doing 20kmh and Im off, then my legs aint gonna catch up to my head, so tears will result, as well as bruised ego. For those ppl who heckle from time to time (not many) , I dont worry about them, and by riding sensibly I know I'll stay on it and not give them the "pleasure" of adding fuel to the fire so to speak.

I actually am finding that more people comment when I travel at walking pace or slightly faster, as it gives them time to have a look, and then their interest is triggerred as they think to themselves, "Hey....look at that guy, he is on one wheel and making it look like he is out for a Sunday stroll....

Anyway mate, take care, if ever in Melb touch base and we'll go for a ride and a beer...

Yea I'm definitely sorry to hear about the fall, hope you have a speedy recovery.

Most important thing is safety.. don't try to impress anyone, especially people that are heckling you. You are putting yourself at risk.

Just keep practicing and stay safe. Don't take too many risks hehe. Also I've been running on 1.2.7 for a while now and it seems fine. If you aren't missing anything from 1.2.3, then stay on it. Make sure to be extremely skeptical about new firmware updates.

Been there, done that.  Bruised ribs take 6-8 weeks to completely heal, at least in my case.  Tilt-back is startling at first and not something to be sought out for the less experienced.  I recommend you to get back on the beast as soon as you are able, but gain some experience before trying to hit the tilt-back again.  I had my Ninebot for many months before I ever hit tilt-back - and I am a relatively experienced rider.  Top speed on an E+ is crazy fast.  Heal quickly and good luck!  

Thanks for the well wishes guys!

I'm happy I posted here because I would be really upset it I found out there was something wrong with my unit only a week after getting it. I agree with everyone it was tilt back especially with the "floaty" feeling that freaked me out which led to my fall.

I definitely will not be trying to hit top speed again anytime soon haha.

I hope to be back on in a week or two at least. @Phil Wright I will definitely take you up on that ride or beer in Melbourne, likewise if you ever pop up to Sydney! I'm still yet to ride with anyone yet.

Thanks guys! You're all legends.

It is amazing how much a slow speed fall can hurt and knock the wind out of you. I have fallen only once. When I was first starting out. Flat on my back and one elbow. Went through the my whole body. Lucked out and back to 98% in about a half an hour. The raspberry on the elbow took a week to heal. Probably would have been nothin in my twenty's a thirty's but I am now well in to 47. You just do not get back up or go down like I use to. Sucks to get old.

Any way it did inspire me to get the full safety equipment, helmet, wrist guards, elbow pads, knee pads and ankle pads. I now for the most part just use the helmet, wrist guards and ankle pads. Think I will put it all on when I start seriously practicing going backwards.

Stay safe and healthy.

Don't worry it just part of the learning curve, just put on good safety gear (skating helmet, not a bike helmet as this will not protect the back of your head) and in the beginning practice in area's separated from other traffic where the damage will be limited to your gear and pride:)

Falling forward: try to dive on your belly (second best to a forward judo roll), this spreads the impact over a lager surface (especially if you're big like me ;)) less risk of breaking bones or snapping tendons

stay safe

31 minutes ago, Jurgen said:

Don't worry it just part of the learning curve, just put on good safety gear (skating helmet, not a bike helmet as this will not protect the back of your head) and in the beginning practice in area's separated from other traffic where the damage will be limited to your gear and pride:)

Falling forward: try to dive on your belly (second best to a forward judo roll), this spreads the impact over a lager surface (especially if you're big like me ;)) less risk of breaking bones or snapping tendons

stay safe

I think the reason why he had a fractured rib is he fell on a forward belly dive. Learning to limit your speed when still on the learning phase and gradually building speed depending on your expertise and confidence is the safer way to ride. It takes a lot of practice training and riding hours to develop the required skill to push the limits.

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2015‎ ‎4‎:‎59‎:‎03‎, Peter Seabrook said:

If anyone has anything other explanations to this I'd love to hear it. I was riding on firmware 1.2.3 but have no updated to 1.2.7 but I have not ridden yet as I will probably be out for the next 4-6 weeks it seems.

Hi Pete, sorry to hear of your fall... I experienced my first bad fall also and think it was related to the firmware.  From what you are describing, it sounds like it might have been from trying to accelerate too quickly and you just got out of balance.  I would recommend you keep the 1.2.3 firmware and not upgrade until a more reliable firmware comes available.  The later firmware from 1.2.6 and later seem to be very unreliable and it was 15 minutes after I upgraded to 1.2.7 that my bot shut off and I took a nasty fall.  Wrists are still severely sprained.  I rode for almost 6 months on 1.2.2 without any problems at all.  Sure wish I could go back to that one.  Anyway, best of wishes on your recovery.  They are addicting, aren't they? :)

20 hours ago, Jdestef said:

Speaking from experience, extreme acceleration is not a smart thing to do.  My two big crashes have both come from trying to show off and accelerate really fast.  

Just don't do it.    :)

You're 100% right!  It's ok to go fast but just let the wheel get up to speed at a level it's comfortable with and don't push it so hard that the motor can't compensate enough to keep you level on the floorboards.  That is especially true for someone like me who is 215 lbs!  For most people, you don't understand this until you experience it firsthand!  Lesson learned!

Two weeks in and no crashes yet. I am hitting top speed every time I ride but I slow immediately when i feel even slight tilt and adjust to that speed.    

The want to show off and impress is always present...especially when people call out " what is that!?" .    I catch myself showing a bit..usually with a burst of speed but then I smart up.   I know a fall will happen so hopefully it's not because I'm showing off.

I am dedicated to "being one" with this machine going forward first before any tricks or backwords learning.

I'm very proficient in traffic, people, street, sidewalks, crowds, slow, fast BUT NOT over confident as that would be dumb.  I want a few more hundred miles to ensure my reaction reflexes are optimal for any surprises! 

Yeah, I intentionally underestimate my skill to make sure I don't eat it in front of a bunch of people.  lol.  Ie. gingerly go up small bumps and whatnot even if I *think* I'm probably skilled enough to hop it or take the bump, etc.

Archived