First Big Fall

Peter Seabrook

sorry to hear of your learning experience    I know you will be back riding soon...  ...I had a wee dog chase after me this afternoon so I just kept increasing my speed until the dog gave up...     a swift glance at the owner.. mouth wide open and speechless as I sped off up the pathway...  priceless..... not a sudden  acel but steady plates level increase....  I to have learned that lesson in my earlier "gravity trials" with my "bot"         keep smiling n ridin

5 hours ago, Jurgen said:

I have an IPS Lhotz 340KwH, the tiltback is quite managable, is the tiltback on a Ninebot much more aggressive?

Agreeing with @Paulandjacquelyn it was a surprise more than anything just not used to the weird floating feeling it gives I guess. Even going down hill and you are level not leaning does feel weird too.

• 1 month later...

It's been a month since you last posted here so you've probably recovered, right?
Sorry to hear about the fall, though. Had the same experience today, not as bad, but still came as quite a suprise.
Like you did at the time, I've had the NBO for a week now and had a first big fail today. Some scrape wounds are all I have, the cushion (leg support) ripped a bit though, that's worse (in my eyes)...

Scrapes will heal and the cushion I can replace when I've improved my skills!

On 22 ноября 2015 г. at 8:30 PM, Peter Seabrook said:

Agreeing with @Paulandjacquelyn it was a surprise more than anything just not used to the weird floating feeling it gives I guess. Even going down hill and you are level not leaning does feel weird too.

Sorry about the fall. It was either tilt back or overleaning / overaccelerating that can cause the floaty feeling you experienced.

falling can be painful and very embarrasing. On helloween i fell off the wheel in a Batman costume riding at walking speed right in front of the kids. Batman falling was a little embarassing....

@Tyred Just about recovered still very tender. I have had no time to ride as well as work at the end of the year has been 70 hour weeks. I'll hopefully have some time after Christmas when work dies down some to get some riding time in and re-learn everything.

I'm worried I am not going to have the confidence to ride out in public again though...

1 minute ago, Peter Seabrook said:

@Tyred Just about recovered still very tender. I have had no time to ride as well as work at the end of the year has been 70 hour weeks. I'll hopefully have some time after Christmas when work dies down some to get some riding time in and re-learn everything.

I'm worried I am not going to have the confidence to ride out in public again though...

Do it slow and ride at the parks and gradually increase your speed as time and your confidence progresses.

28 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Sorry about the fall. It was either tilt back or overleaning / overaccelerating that can cause the floaty feeling you experienced.

falling can be painful and very embarrasing. On helloween i fell off the wheel in a Batman costume riding at walking speed right in front of the kids. Batman falling was a little embarassing....

You should have borrowed my batman Kahuna wheel :P

59 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Did you quote that line? " And why do we fall, Bruce?" "So we can learn to pick ourselves up". :D

All good advice given here.

Its when you are feeling comfortable and drop your guard that accidents can happen.

I was riding alongside my daughter [on a bike] and 'playing' with my grandson in the baby-bike seat when I casually glanced at the bollards coming up and just clipped one. The EUC stopped and I continued on losing altitude rapidly until the wrist guards gouged the pavement. Wrists were pretty good but one shoulder [3 days now] doesn't want the arm to be raised laterally - painful!    Improving daily but its frustratingly slow!

Moral for me, keep focused, especially as speed increases; because force increases by the speed squared! [f=kv2].

The wrist, knee etc guards are absolute essentials.

Archived