Preferred V11 Tire Options?

Jason McNeil

Which tire would you like to see on the new 18x3" V11?   

52 members have voted

1. 1. Available tire choices are:

• Chao Yang H-666
    • Chao Yang H-5102
    • Kenda K1087-002
    • CST C-1488
    • Don't really care

This poll is closed to new votes

4 minutes ago, BlckRck2014 said:

Any disadvantage to running the Snowtex version of the K66, on the dirt, in the summer?  This is really the only tire I can find in stock:  Heidenau K66 M+S Snowtex 80/90-14 46P TL

I don’t think there is, at least not enough to matter. It could wear out a tiny bit faster, don’t know. I bought the exact Snowtex version for all-year usage as well.

1 minute ago, mrelwood said:

I don’t think there is, at least not enough to matter. It could wear out a tiny bit faster, don’t know. I bought the exact Snowtex version for all-year usage as well.

Ow thats great news!  I'm torn between the Kenda k262 the K66 for my type of riding.  I do a LOT of quick turning on singletrack, and the stock tire has been great so far.  I imagine the K66 has a significant increase in dirt traction compared to the stock, and the turning characteristics you describe are spot on with what I would want.  Though, the k262 is a true knobby and would provide better traction with the tradeoff being slower and more difficult turning.

Thoughts to sway me one way or the other? 

3 hours ago, BlckRck2014 said:

Thoughts to sway me one way or the other? 

Very hard to say! The K66 would easily win in precision turning, while the K262 would win in directional stability on banked surfaces. For the off-roading I do (skilled trials on cliffs, various forest paths), the turning behavior of the K66 does get the crown. But it’s the universal nature of the K66 that makes me love it so much.

I’m not sure whether there even is much of a difference in grip on dry dirt, but on wet mud the K262 wins pretty easily.

But make no mistake, either of them will grip like crazy on any surface compared to the original!

Edited by mrelwood

3 hours ago, BlckRck2014 said:

Any disadvantage to running the Snowtex version of the K66, on the dirt, in the summer?  This is really the only tire I can find in stock:  Heidenau K66 M+S Snowtex 80/90-14 46P TL

I bought one of each in size 80/80. It is very hard to tell these a part by touching then. I have yet to test ride them.

During the tire swap Ianaged to burn a drive board or a motor or both. I have broken/cracked connector on my other 1st batch V11. 

Right now I am trying to source new parts for both wheels. Since the first shipment got lost I can't say for now when my V11s are in working order again. 

But the Idea is to have a all season and a winter/Snowtex setup. In theory the Snowtex should perform better at low temperatures. It seems it has a slightly wider pattern cuts but is very little visual look. 

Keep in mind I have not yet ridden on these tires. But I would suggest get the 80/90 size to have a wider tire and more firewall and cushion effect to protect the rim. I think the biggest size would be easier to fit the tube as I had very little room to twist the bend valve into the hole in the rim. You need to know this is not an easy workable bicycle tire but reinforced moped/MC tire. I think once fitted and all is good it will take a lot to get a puncture unless you pinch the tire/tube or have a valve/tube seal breaking. 

14 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Very hard to say! The K66 would easily win in precision turning, while the K262 would win in directional stability on banked surfaces. For the off-roading I do (skilled trials on cliffs, various forest paths), the turning behavior of the K66 does get the crown. But it’s the universal nature of the K66 that makes me love it so much.

I’m not sure whether there even is much of a difference in grip on dry dirt, but on wet mud the K262 wins pretty easily.

But make no mistake, either of them will grip like crazy on any surface compared to the original!

14 hours ago, Unventor said:

Keep in mind I have not yet ridden on these tires. But I would suggest get the 80/90 size to have a wider tire and more firewall and cushion effect to protect the rim. I think the biggest size would be easier to fit the tube as I had very little room to twist the bend valve into the hole in the rim. You need to know this is not an easy workable bicycle tire but reinforced moped/MC tire. I think once fitted and all is good it will take a lot to get a puncture unless you pinch the tire/tube or have a valve/tube seal breaking. 

Thanks both.  I ended up ordering the 80/90 Snowtex version.   This will be my first scooter/motorcycle tire replacement (have done many bicycles), and now the hunt for the tire irons and whatnot.  Any suggestions on making the process easier I am all ears.

Thanks again for all the help.  With the huge maintenance task of replacing the tire on the v11, it's something I wanted to try and get right the first time.

55 minutes ago, BlckRck2014 said:

and now the hunt for the tire irons and whatnot.  Any suggestions on making the process easier I am all ears.

1) Optimal V11 disassembly:

2) DO NOT use tire irons for motorcycles! Use plastic bicycle tire irons (with a metal core if you can find some).

3) Use dish washing liquid as a lubricant to get the tire irons sliding on the rubber, and especially the rubber sliding over the rim edge. Lube the whole bead (inner edge) of the tire before installing.

4) Press the opposite side of the tire bead into the center groove of the rim when getting the tire on/off the rim.

5) If you feel that you or the tire irons are not strong enough, either you are doing something wrong or you don’t have enough lube.

I’m planning on making a video about the tire changing process as well, but unfortunately it’ll take months before I get it published.

• Like 2

Few days ago installed Shinko 241 14" x 2.75 motorcycle tire on the V11 InMotion.
its fits, no cutting required. It is very tight. almost a bit scary with some rocks.
NOTES:

• I had to cut the rear stand, as its protruded into the tire. I ended up removing the stand as it locks into the wheel and causes over loads if you are not careful when turning on. If i can get a hold of a welder ill install a flat plate on the stand so it can not lock into the rubber grooves.
  • I ended up cutting off the little bead knob hair pins. Not requires but they did brush.
  • I have tested it off road and wow, the grip is like tarmac. Absolute amazing in soft sand and dirt.
  • I dot not recommend this tire as the clearance for rocks is tight and is scary. I don't believe one will jamb as the tire is soft. However more clearance would be nice.
  • Rocks always pass tough, never had one stuck.
  • Highly Recommend this tire, Easy install, Just cut the tire pin hairs off and remove the stand.
  • UPDATE 2021-07-06 photos of clearances and stand. https://photos.app.goo.gl/K68urkFaxNUR42rG8
  • UPDATE 2021-07-09 Wet Sand Off Road Test. Highly Recommend this Tire. Shinko 241 14"2.75 Motorcycle
  • UPDATE 2021/07/18 wood chips jamb in the unit at high PSI, as they are wedge shape, tilt unit 90deg like in a drop turn off, rotate tire, deflate tyre remove debris.
  • UPDATE 2021/07/20 The more I ride the Shinko 241 the more I like it. I trust this tyre so much. Its winter now. grass is wet and muddy, Transitioning from tarmac, to pathways, concrete, kerbs, sand, gravel, wet hard soggy grass, compacted limestone, This tire is a magnet, its so hard to make it slip. I have complete trust in this tyre! I can never go back to slicks! the V11 is supposed to have the Shinko 241 installed from factory in my option!
    every off-road piece of planet earth i just cannot resist riding over kerbs driveways its all my favourite. and the sound the tyre makes is so good on low PSI on tarmac and concrete.!

here is a video of the tire change process

here is a video of me having a blast with it. wow its amazing,

Edited by Julianjc84
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Julianjc84 said:

Few days ago installed Shinko 241 14" x 2.75 motorcycle tire on the V11 InMotion.
its fits, no cutting required. It is very tight. almost a bit scary with some rocks.
NOTES:

• I had to cut the rear stand, as its protruded into the tire. I ended up removing the stand as it locks into the wheel and causes over loads if you are not careful when turning on. If i can get a hold of a welder ill install a flat plate on the stand so it can not lock into the rubber grooves.
  • I ended up cutting off the little bead knob hair pins. Not requires but they did brush.
  • I have tested it off road and wow, the grip is like tarmac. Absolute amazing in soft sand and dirt.
  • I dot not recommend this tire as the clearance for rocks is tight and is scary. I don't believe one will jamb as the tire is soft. However more clearance would be nice.

The amount of debris and stones the tire picks up is unnerving.

How it handles soft sand is impressive.

I see you’re down under (VE), nice.

On 7/4/2021 at 3:31 AM, Julianjc84 said:

NOTES:

• I dot not recommend this tire as the clearance for rocks is tight and is scary. I don't believe one will jamb as the tire is soft. However more clearance would be nice.

Awesome work.  Thanks for doing all this.  Also, like your riding style.

40 minutes ago, FlyboyEUC said:

@Jason McNeil any chance you can convince Chao Yang to bring the H666 18x3.0 back into production? I'd gladly buy a few of those tires.

These days the tire most talk about on the Inmotion channel is the K66 80/90-14 as all-season or Snowtex variant. 

I bought I of both in the smaller 80/80, but I suggest getting the taller version.

If you don't ride below 5C temps the all season should be good and might last longer. There is a slight difference in pattern as the Snowtex has a little cut to some of the rubber pads. 

Unfortunately I am waiting for parts to fix both my V11s so I have yet to test it myself.

People have posted the use on other wheels too. On the V11 the 80/90 is the one to pick imo. More rim protection as it is taller and might be easier to get the tube inside too.

• Like 3

I can't find any k66 in America. Not willing to pay more shipping than the cost of the tire. I'm looking for a tire that mimics the h666 performance, not specifically for the v11.

• Like 1

Try the Pirelli Angel 80/80-14.  That felt the most like an h666 to me although its slightly bigger and heavier.  It was super difficult to get it not to rub on a s-18 but possible so it should fit everything else.

• Like 2

On 7/4/2021 at 3:31 AM, Julianjc84 said:

NOTES:

• I dot not recommend this tire as the clearance for rocks is tight and is scary. I don't believe one will jamb as the tire is soft. However more clearance would be nice.
  • Rocks always pass tough, never had one stuck.
  • Highly Recommend this tire, Easy install, Just cut the tire pin hairs off and remove the stand.
  • UPDATE 2021-07-06 photos of clearances and stand. https://photos.app.goo.gl/K68urkFaxNUR42rG8
  • UPDATE 2021-07-09 Wet Sand Off Road Test. Highly Recommend this Tire. Shinko 241 14"2.75 Motorcycle

The dirt part of these videos is exactly the type of riding I do 99% of the time.  Great to see another EUC Tech rider out in the wild and a v11 one to boot!

I ordered the Shinko 241 today as this is readily available on Amazon and many other places.  I have had loads of sticks get stuck in the wheel well with the stock tire.  So much in fact that I keep a very long nose pliers in my backpack when I ride so I can fish the sticks out when they get stuck.

I am a bit worried that things will get stuck in the wheel well when single track riding.  Thoughts now that its been a few more days since your review of the tire?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BlckRck2014 said:

The dirt part of these videos is exactly the type of riding I do 99% of the time.  Great to see another EUC Tech rider out in the wild and a v11 one to boot!

I ordered the Shinko 241 today as this is readily available on Amazon and many other places.  I have had loads of sticks get stuck in the wheel well with the stock tire.  So much in fact that I keep a very long nose pliers in my backpack when I ride so I can fish the sticks out when they get stuck.

I am a bit worried that things will get stuck in the wheel well when single track riding.  Thoughts now that its been a few more days since your review of the tire?

The tyre is great. I have done a fair bit of riding with it. Rocks, sticks sand. It all pases through it, if anything got stuck which is not often. You just jump off roll the wheel on ride backwards a few meters and it all drops out. Can only think of about 3 occasions when something was stuck and it rubbed for about 1 minute before flushing it's self out.

I'd be more concerned from a overload from the kickstand locking in the treads when you turn on. You must remove the kickstand.

The benefits of riding on sand is amazing, this thing is a tractor even at high psi, I've not got the psi but it's very hard. It's going to be even better at low psi, it's been raining lots And I am keen for summer for dry soft sand tests. At hard and soft psi tests.

Friend just ordered the s18 so that arrives next week hopefully so, side by sides tests incoming.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 2:30 PM, Julianjc84 said:

The tyre is great. I have done a fair bit of riding with it. Rocks, sticks sand. It all pases through it, if anything got stuck which is not often. You just jump off roll the wheel on ride backwards a few meters and it all drops out. Can only think of about 3 occasions when something was stuck and it rubbed for about 1 minute before flushing it's self out.

I'd be more concerned from a overload from the kickstand locking in the treads when you turn on. You must remove the kickstand.

The benefits of riding on sand is amazing, this thing is a tractor even at high psi, I've not got the psi but it's very hard. It's going to be even better at low psi, it's been raining lots And I am keen for summer for dry soft sand tests. At hard and soft psi tests.

Friend just ordered the s18 so that arrives next week hopefully so, side by sides tests incoming.

***Edit***

Tire fits great. I have it at 40psi with zero rubbing. When I wrote the below I had not taken the kickstand off. You have to take it off since the little hooked part of it is what rubs on the tire. I guess one could shave the tire instead. I'm fine just laying my ride on the ground and ditching the Stand. 

***Old post below/not valid information***

Thanks!  I swapped the tire yesterday. For the life of me I can't get the tire to not rub (even at 20 psi). I did take all the hairs off before installing so it's not that. 

Any tips?

Also, the rubbing gets pretty bad when I inflate to 37psi. 

Edited by BlckRck2014
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BlckRck2014 said:

***Edit***

Tire fits great. I have it at 40psi with zero rubbing. When I wrote the below I had not taken the kickstand off. You have to take it off since the little hooked part of it is what rubs on the tire. I guess one could shave the tire instead. I'm fine just laying my ride on the ground and ditching the Stand. 

***Old post below/not valid information***

Thanks!  I swapped the tire yesterday. For the life of me I can't get the tire to not rub (even at 20 psi). I did take all the hairs off before installing so it's not that. 

Any tips?

Also, the rubbing gets pretty bad when I inflate to 37psi. 

Yes, it's very important to remove the stand. The hook sides where the stand mounts rub. I did cut mine to solve it. But the other more serious problem is the stand locks into the rubber knobs. And if you turn on the wheel before moving the kickstand the unit detects a oven load and behaves all crazy. it's not worth the risk. 241 Shinko is a no stand mod upgrade.

The tyre performs great at all pressures. It's just a tractor.

I've started running my tyre at a lower pressure, I had my first wood chip jamb. I was riding a long distance over woodchips, most passed through, one jambed, and by jamb the wheel still turned but was heavy rubbing. It's diffictly to turn off the unit when it's under rubbing jamb tension. I think you have to tilt the unit 90, like in a drop, horizontal on side and then turn off. It ended up overloading and shutting off. Scary and Great learning experience. Once it was off I deflated the tire and it all passed through. 

Almost seem like debris passes easier on lower psi. And off-road is much better.

I still like it and have complete trust in the unit with debris passing. 

34 minutes ago, Julianjc84 said:

But the other more serious problem is the stand locks into the rubber knobs. And if you turn on the wheel before moving the kickstand the unit detects a oven load and behaves all crazy.

I think this is a very fair and sound warning to any using a knobby tire with V11 or V12 that this is not kickstand compatible.

You can burn a drive board if the stand get trapped between the knobbs while it is turned on. 

I do think Inmotion issued a warning about this. I know I discussed it with Liam when he was working for Inmotion.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...