Preferred V11 Tire Options?

Jason McNeil

Which tire would you like to see on the new 18x3" V11?   

52 members have voted

1. 1. Available tire choices are:

• Chao Yang H-666
    • Chao Yang H-5102
    • Kenda K1087-002
    • CST C-1488
    • Don't really care

This poll is closed to new votes

On 8/9/2021 at 2:52 AM, motard34 said:

Hi. I’ve put à Pirelli Angel Scooter 80/80 14 tire on my V11 and it’s way better with this tire. 
CFD67105-B536-4BE7-A756-34B7D0D37B70.jpe

How does it compare to the OEM tire?

I haven’t determined how you have it mounted, but since it’s a directional tire, I would personally install it with a focus on braking since that’s what’s more important to me on an EUC. 

Edited by EUC_user

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, motard34 said:

For those who have been waiting for it, here is my feedback on the Pirelli Angel scooter 80/80 14 tire.

But first, you had to find the motivation and the time ... Because yes, it's still a hell of a test ... 4 hours, preparation, dismantling, tire change, reassembly and storage, with a pinched and punctured inner tube in the 1st  attempt…

The removal of the original CSTwas not a problem.  It is really flexible and easy to remove.

The Pirelli on the other hand is stiff, very stiff… not easy to set up, especially when it comes to the last few centimeters… And then it's time for the verdict, inflation to 35 PSI… It holds… !!  Phew!  Put everything back in order, do not forget anything, thread locking, tightening ...

A long press ... the wheel lights up and balances as usual ... Wow too well ... More than to go and try ...

Small quiet tour in the neighborhood, slow speed, just to anticipate possible problems ... Everything is fine, it's rolling ... Come on, helmet, palm protectors and off we go for a first short ride ...

And there ... it's the wouaou effect ... !!!  A completely neutral wheel, no more lurching on slopes, no need to "fight" with the wheel in the bends, a live wheel, maneuverable, finally really pleasant to ride ... A wheel that has become as incisive or almost as a Tesla  V2 16 inches… In short, you will understand, I really do not regret the 4 hours spent working on my V11.

On the other hand, I think I have tests done at less than 35 PSI because the tire is so stiff that I feel too much of the defects in the coating despite the suspensions that I may also have a little too inflated ...

So this tire is clearly intended for the road, for cycle tracks and certainly not for the off-road, whatever on rolling tracks it will be able to do it, and that is exactly what I was looking for, so I am delighted and I will not have  more apprehension about bad surfaces and slopes ...

Come on, over to you ...

PS: thank you YouTube for the tutorial videos to carry out this exposure of V11!

PS2: if you have any questions, do not hesitate

8EF68B09-DACC-4DA3-ACDF-85F9A9999AFC.jpe

C0CCDE36-1F3A-4A73-BABA-FF05A3E3746F.jpe

I guess you don't have any winter issues to think about and that you are a street rider. 

I have gone a different route, but I don't want to swap due to season and here at my place we have winter with both dry roads, rain, snow and ice. So if you find yourself in a similar situation then the K66 80/90-14 Snowtex is a great solution. As for city riding it works great and it has the best slower than walking maneuverbility I ever tested on any EUC. Maybe I can give the Z10 to tighter turns but it doesn't have same pedals height.  

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 7/4/2021 at 6:31 AM, Julianjc84 said:

installed Shinko 241 14" x 2.75 on the V11
its fits, no cutting required.

Really, an SR241 installed without trimming? I think everyone who's attempted it for MSupers had major rub and resorted to shaving the tire (width).

Does the V11 shell actually have more tire width available than MSX?
Paging @mrelwood who's owned both ;)

1 hour ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Does the V11 shell actually have more tire width available than MSX?
Paging @mrelwood who's owned both ;)

:D

Yes, the MSX tire opening in front and back of the shell is rounded in a way that it starts to get narrow at a pretty low geight. Large tires seemed to rub on this narrowing part.

The space for the tire on the V11 is the opposite, it is narrow lower down where the battery is, but opens up a bit like a mushroom, so the maximum width is all available for the tire.

Since they are so different, the result may vary from tire to tire. But on the C-186 (~K262) there is a bit more space on the V11.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi MRelwood, I also followed your path with the K66 Snowtex tire from Heidenau. Since it is tubeless I had to modify the rim of my V11. Not sure how the new and thicker valve would behave, I tested it on a damaged motor in advance. Just to check if it holds the air pressure. 
The hole for the valve has to be increased and it really leaves no space for errors. No joke, the K66 is way harder than the CST. Just to mount it was a battle.
I tested two valves. A simple, cheaper 90º valve that held the pressure well but is not really 90º. And a really 90º valve that is also "beautiful".

I got genuine NTN bearings (checked with several apps that use the bar code to find knock-offs), replaced the grease with marine calcium complex grease, got new valves (to not put a used valve on my main motor), printed some bearing covers (since I am still waiting for the original inmotion's version) and I am ready to replace the original CST tire  with the K66 and give it a test. However I just had an accident (a lady opened the door of her car without watching) and now I need my arm to recover a bit before being able to get back "into business". Safety-line worked perfectly and my V11 got just minor scratches on the honeycomb pedals. It has proven again to be a very strong EUC.

So far, my limited K66 experience is:

• to manage putting a valve on the rim is simple but without margin for errors.
  • the valve looks great and its angle can be adjusted at will.
  • this is a tough to mount tire. Good tools are needed to prevent scratching the rim affecting the seal afterwards.
  • tubeless K66 holds the air pressure well on the V11 with the valves I tested.
  • this tire looks amazing for all types of uses, strong against punctures and no need to remove the kickstand. A great all around tire.
  • BUT... no hope with inflating it with a portable/manual bike inflator.  Even lesser with the high pressure type used suspension adjustments. The tire needs big air flux in order to seal first before increasing on pressure. I contacted Heidenau for their advise. They told me that the K66 has chemicals that need to be released and therefore is a tire that has to be used 100km before it adjusts to the shape and become ready for full action. After that, it should be softer, wider than after just installed and fit better to the rim providing a better seal. I purchased a dual inflator (HV/HP) to test it before wearing the tire, but it does not provide enough air flux to seal. I will find out after using it but in your experience, after using the K66 for a while can you inflate it with a manual inflator from 0 PSI?
    I do have a compressor at my workshop but I am thinking about having a solution while riding on remote areas. A 16g CO2 cartridge may inflate it once but if a portable bike inflator could do the job, it would be safer for me.

K66.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GPSchile said:

Since it is tubeless I had to modify the rim of my V11.

You are now facing one of the reasons why I always recommend against modifying an EUC rim for tubeless operation. Besides having to drill up the rim, the inside edge of the rim doesn’t have a shape that would seal or center the tire properly. Tubeless rims do. Especially with a stiff MC tire, getting it to seal can be very very difficult.

When I tried a tubeless install on my late MSX, I had to use a lot of sealant, a manual floor standing pump, and more elbow grease than my elbows had room for. The sealant helps you in identifying the largest gaps, and to position the tire in a way that it can seal from a very fast operation of the floor pump. But it still took two hours of dripping sweat on a tire much softer than the K66. For a stiff tire like this, I really don’t know what else you could do but to keep trying and hope that you have a great luck. And then again with the centering of the tire, since an EUC rim won’t do it for you like a MC rim would.

Or you do like the rest of us, and keep using a regular tube. Since you have already drilled the valve though, be sure to round the drilled edge so you don’t damage the tube. I’d also use some kind of compound to make the hole smaller again, so the valve doesn’t get to bend too much. Sikaflex, construction mass/glue, or even just silicone.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

• Like 3

I agree @RagingGrandpa, the tube inside is my plan B in case I get into nightmares like described by @mrelwood. :lol:
I am giving it a try despite I have invested more than 2 hours of sweat :o. The tire is holding well despite I am using no sealant (yet).
Time will tell but the tube inside is ready in case of needing it. Thanks guys ;)

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 3:18 AM, mrelwood said:

And then again with the centering of the tire, since an EUC rim won’t do it for you like a MC rim would.

That reminds me a question I wanted to ask: Do you have any tips for centering a tire? I have k66 80/90 (with a tube inside) and I got it somehow centered, but it is still a few millimeters  off.

I tried to roll in on the ground empty and then with very low pressure, but that didn’t center the tire at all. So I deflated it entirely, put the wheel on the side and pulled and pushed on the tire as long as it was getting better. But eventually, I got it into a state when if I correct one place, a same size error appears somewhere else.

It’s ridable (without the manual correction it was like riding a buzzer), but it definitely could be better. Is there something else I can try?

And thanks for driving the thought of tube-less mod for the k66 from my head. :D

Edited by Zopper
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Zopper said:

That reminds me a question I wanted to ask: Do you have any tips for centering a tire? I have k66 80/90 (with a tube inside) and I got it somehow centered, but it is still a few millimeters  off.

I tried to roll in on the ground empty and then with very low pressure, but that didn’t center the tire at all. So I deflated it entirely, put the wheel on the side and pulled and pushed on the tire as long as it was getting better. But eventually, I got it into a state when if I correct one place, a same size error appears somewhere else.

It’s ridable (without the manual correction it was like riding a buzzer), but it definitely could be better. Is there something else I can try?

And thanks for driving the thought of tube-less mod for the k66 from my head. :D

When I mounted my tire and for the K66 I used tire lube meant for car/mc/moped tires. 

It was much easier to have it not inflated to squeeze the tire and move it into right position. As I slowly filled the tube with air I kept checking is was fairly good centered. 

It is probably not perfect fitted but I can feel it causes any problem. 

The tire lube work just like if you ever tried to put stickers on windows. Splash the window wish soap water and you can add the stitcher. Then you can slide the sticker around and use a squeezer to remove any air bubbles. Eventurly the sticker is firm in place. The tire lobe is a mix that feels like grease but it release a watery soapy substance but will dry out. So you don't have all the time in the world. But much easier to use than mu ustal dishwater solution I used before. It was worth the 20$ for the bucket of lube. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On the topic of the K66, what is the technical differences between the 80/80 and the 80/90 sizes?  Is the tread depth and gap the same?  Which of those is better for the V11?  I'm on the fence as to whether I want the K66 or the Japanese TR1.   I intend to do more trail riding this year but still enjoy street/pavement riding with friends who don't trail ride.  I'd guess I'll do 70% street and 30% trail miles.  I need traction for the trails.
My hesitation on the TR1 is that with the knobbies running parallel I've heard that cornering is awkward a particular angles.  Law Laxina mentioned this in one of his videos.
youtu.be/7oFgFj5fE3A?t=567

Is the K66 going to cut it for trail riding?

AHK_20220118_024156.PNG

AHK_20220118_024301.PNG

3 hours ago, stephen said:

Looks a nice tyre

The K66 tire is not only looking nice, it is the best ever sensation for super slow riding on the V11. I might need to lower my tire pressure a tiny bit, as my contact patch is giving me slight trouble on loose gravel on asphalt here in the non-snow winter time. It might side slip just a tiny bit and then it regain traction again. On a stock tire in similar situation I am very sure I would have gone down. I am properly going to get my second V11 up and running soon so I can compare 80/80 vs 80/90 tire.

From the EUCs I have tested (Z10) or owned (see my profile) this is the best combination I have had so far , V11 and K66 80/90-14. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I appreciate your feedback on K66.   What disadvantage is there with the TR1?  In other words, what kinds of situations is the TR1 a lesser tire than the K66?

15 hours ago, Ben S said:

what kinds of situations is the TR1 a lesser tire than the K66?

Whenever you steer. Or if you need to get the best possible range.

There’s also the sound on pavement, but I don’t think it’s too bad.

• 1 year later...

Just Fitted the Kenda 262, same tyre thats fitted to sherman, feels so much nicer than the stock tyre and no more tram lines or wobbles, and really I dont know what all the fuss and worry is about changing the tyre on the V11 took little under 2 hours, I am a engineer by trade though.

K1xAcbN.jpgO187pkh.jpgNrCPH89.jpg

Edited by steveesub
spelling error
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2023 at 10:22 AM, steveesub said:

Just Fitted the Kenda 262, same tyre thats fitted to sherman, feels so much nicer than the stock tyre and no more tram lines or wobbles, and really I dont know what all the fuss and worry is about changing the tyre on the V11 took little under 2 hours, I am a engineer by trade though.

Thanks for the info. That's probably what I'm going to get for my first replacement. I change motorcycle tires all the time so hopefully it will be an easy job.

Edited by Chriull
Separated answer from quote

On 2/5/2023 at 6:17 PM, Clem604 said:

I found a good deal on tires so I just stocked up 😅. It's convenient that the V11 shares the same tire size as my incoming Sherman S.

20230130_183414.thumb.jpg.58650fce027774c72371fe8c1ce3ce8b.jpg

Just got one of those the other day. 👍