The 67-volt Gotway Mten3

Marty Backe

Anxious to hear your thoughts on the 67v.  I'm sort of 2nd guessing my decision on the 84v (325wh) version, had I known it had that much torque, I'd probably opted for the extra range.    

• Like 2

@Marty Backe I'm interested in your opinion about what configuration in the Mten3 I should get. I'm 210 lbs. My needs for the wheel would be ,just playing around ,learning to ride backwards etc. Also, to teach my wife. Looking forward to your recommendations . Thanks

Edited by bigwave
  • Like 1

I'm getting 80% beeps at between 21 and 22 mph on my 67V. That's using the freespin method, but I thought those beeps were programmed in as a set speed rather than an actual motor output measurement. I'll have to test tonight.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dan Hillary said:

I'm getting 80% beeps at between 21 and 22 mph on my 67V. That's using the freespin method, but I thought those beeps were programmed in as a set speed rather than an actual motor output measurement. I'll have to test tonight.

I'm taking the info from here (battery dependent speed limit):

1 hour ago, Dan Hillary said:

No. The 80% power beeps occur based on battery and speed levels. So they occur at slower and slower speeds as your battery drains.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

No. The 80% power beeps occur based on battery and speed levels. So they occur at slower and slower speeds as your battery drains.

You could say it is a set speed, if that set speed is allowed to depend on the battery charge/voltage:P

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

That's great to know; so still calculational rather than measured, but on some sort of a piecewise sliding scale with battery level. My measurement was taken at 80% battery. Just tested it again at 60% and the result was also 21 mph. I'll have to test more at other levels to put together a little graph...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dan Hillary said:

That's great to know; so still calculational rather than measured, but on some sort of a piecewise sliding scale with battery level. My measurement was taken at 80% battery. Just tested it again at 60% and the result was also 21 mph. I'll have to test more at other levels to put together a little graph...

That mirrors my experience with a 84v/512wh. At high battery the drop in top speed isn't as pronounced. I did some rough top speed tests (rode on the edge of beeps) on the same stretch of road:

100% : 25mph

75%: 23mph

50%: 20mph

25%: 15mph

10%: 12mph

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Esso said:

Welp...I just ordered one. And I'm a big dude - 6'3", 210lbs. Wish me luck.

Good luck :thumbup:

I know a local guy who may be bigger than you and he's find on the Mten3.

It's going to feel like a squirrelly beast when you first get on it, but within an hour or so your body will be tuned into it. Be sure to have the tire at no less than 35-psi. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Esso said:

Welp...I just ordered one. And I'm a big dude - 6'3", 210lbs. Wish me luck.

Just posted this is another thread but I let a member here ride mine and he's your height and I'm guessing about the same weight and he took off like he'd been riding one for years, no issue at all, rode it quite a bit better than me to be honest:/

• Like 2

Would a Gotway Mten3 make for a better last mile commuter compared to a KingSong 14D ? And also be more fun for just riding around, short errands, etc?

Toying with the idea of selling the KS-14D and replacing with an Mten3. 

I'm 5' 9" and 155lbs so I imagine I'll get a bit more on range and speed.

42 minutes ago, vasuvius said:

Would a Gotway Mten3 make for a better last mile commuter compared to a KingSong 14D ? And also be more fun for just riding around, short errands, etc?

Toying with the idea of selling the KS-14D and replacing with an Mten3. 

I'm 5' 9" and 155lbs so I imagine I'll get a bit more on range and speed.

The Mten3 is certainly smaller and lighter and much more fun than the 14D, IMHO. Depending on how much you have to carry it, you may want the optional trolley handle too.

The 14D would be better if your road/sidewalk conditions are bad, because of the larger tire. But otherwise the Mten3 is actually more powerful than the 14D with the same approximate range. And the fun factor is over the top.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The Mten3 is certainly smaller and lighter and much more fun than the 14D, IMHO. Depending on how much you have to carry it, you may want the optional trolley handle too.

The 14D would be better if your road/sidewalk conditions are bad, because of the larger tire. But otherwise the Mten3 is actually more powerful than the 14D with the same approximate range. And the fun factor is over the top.

Hmm... the roads are pretty bad around here. Salting chews up the roads in the winter. Guess I'll stay with the 14D. Thanks.

• Like 1

It's funny, I just sold a 14d right before I bought the Mten3 but I have super smooth paths where I live.

The little Mten3 did arrive late yesterday. I only got to ride it for about 20 minutes. Stepping on it was a weird experience. It pretty much hits me in the ankle instead of my calf like other wheels. There's no gliding start with this wheel. I pretty much have to do the beginner-hop. It was super fun and squirrelly. It seemed like could feel every contour of the pavement.

I can't wait to get more miles on this little wheel.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Esso said:

It's funny, I just sold a 14d right before I bought the Mten3 but I have super smooth paths where I live.

The little Mten3 did arrive late yesterday. I only got to ride it for about 20 minutes. Stepping on it was a weird experience. It pretty much hits me in the ankle instead of my calf like other wheels. There's no gliding start with this wheel. I pretty much have to do the beginner-hop. It was super fun and squirrelly. It seemed like could feel every contour of the pavement.

I can't wait to get more miles on this little wheel.

• Like 2

Hold the outer rubber part and try again. You can use needlenose pliers, just dont go crazy or scratch the rim. The valve itself is rubber covered metal, you can be a little peristent with it. I didnt slime mine, I thought they were 'slimed' from factory on tubeless. Youve a flat already?

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

The tubeless tires come from the factory with something like Slime. I wouldn't bother with the Slime until you have a flat that isn't self-fixed by whatever Gotway uses.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The tubeless tires come from the factory with something like Slime. I wouldn't bother with the Slime until you have a flat that isn't self-fixed by whatever Gotway uses.

I'd second this opinion. In the world of chemicals, sometimes more is less. Aside from added weight and mess, are you sure the factory 'slime' and yours is compatible? Personally I'd wait to address a leaky tire, if it occurs. You could very well go many many many miles and never encounter an issue. Im a preventative maintenance guy, but not sure i'd overdo it. I didnt bother sliming mine, I'll wait for a flat and THEN evaluate it.

• Like 1