The 67-volt Gotway Mten3

I really don’t get why people think the Mten3 can’t be ridden at 20+ mph cruising. I live in NYC, home to some of the worst road conditions on the planet and have no issues attaining that speed. Just keep your eyes peeled and have some experience, that’s all. I posted a video on YouTube chronicling my journey up 3rd Avenue on the road at 20+ mph riding the beeps. On some of these beautiful roads in other parts of the country, there is absolutely no reason 20+ mph should be of any concern. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

NYC, home to some of the worst road conditions on the planet

You haven't visited the "center" of Athens, which is Omonia or near Acropolis, these have the worst road condition i've ever come across!!

• Like 2

On 3/5/2020 at 12:09 AM, Marty Backe said:

After a couple of days with this particular version, I'm convinced it has just as much power as the 84-volt version. I know someone heavier than you who rides the 84-volt version.

So I say, save yourself some money and get the 67-volt version. I think it'll easily do everything you need.

Well @Marty Backe ,the trigger was pulled today! I ordered a Mten3 420wh/67v today from @Jason McNeil at eWheels . 

Thanks for the advice!

Edited by bigwave
  • Like 3

Thanks for killing the value of my 84v 325wh, just kidding.  So I guess the only difference between the three is outright battery capacity and maybe a few mph on top speed?

Edited by RetroThruster
  • Like 2

I would suspect the 84v has a little more 'grunt' too? Im not debating if its needed or not, but wouldnt it have a tiny bit more available, assuming the firmware utilizes it? Dont feel bad retro, you can call the little one's 'wannabe's' if it makes you feel better!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RetroThruster said:

Thanks for killing the value of my 84v 325wh, just kidding.  So I guess the only difference between the three is outright battery capacity and maybe a few mph on top speed?

Yep

The Mten3 420wh/67v arrived today! Thank you @Jason McNeil ! 

I only had a quick indoor session tonight but let me tell ya, it was a little tricky getting on! That knocked me down a couple pegs ,still very much a newbie. lol. But it was getting more comfortable . Its amazing how it balances at a standstill! I'll be checking @Marty Backe mounting video more closely again! :)

• Like 3

I know right!!! Its the other end of the spectrum from the 18's. Imagine how much more fun it will be in a month of practice. Like a bunch of damn kids we are, which toy shall we play with today! For me, the 18 cant replace the mten and teh mten cant replace the 18. If i had to keep one it would be my 18L, but damn is the mten a class of its own!

Edited by ShanesPlanet

I must say, the Mten3 has parked the 18XL the last couple days! I never thought cruising around at 12-15 mph could be so much fun! I have working on riding backwards. I can turn both directions, figure 8's etc. So much so ,I was about to bring out the high tech video cameras (Gopro 1 and 2 ...lol) and make a video to challenge to @Marty Backe for the Mten freestyle crown and then...BAM! on my ass faster than you can say "bob's your uncle" . A little too aggressive on the reverse gear ,pedals dip , bigwave on pavement. ,I had protection on kids! My butt escaped injury ,but my ego has been bruised! :confused1:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I can say the same. Of course, weather hasnt been great, and the mten is that kind of short toss in the street for a quick thrill. Once the weather changes and my camera comes in, thatll change.  I have been riding backwards a bit, riding thru the fields, even suffered a spin out on a wet grass hill. Seems the mten tire doesnt have much for knobbies. I took it to town today and decided to putt around. Sparked the interest of a guy in his mid 30's. He said he was OW shopping and what i had looked cool. Being such a ghost town and 60's for once, we had time to BS a bit. I had him up on the Mten in about 3 minutes and he could ride with his hand on my shoulder walking. I will tel you this... the mten is a mean little thing when you jump off it. I fell in the lot riding backwards and being an idiot. He got whacked in the shins pretty good and earned an egg lump. We're both ex skaters and laughed it off as just part of it.  I dont see curbs out here, so i took the time to give jumping up a curb a try. Not a sissy curb like you see in some countries.. big ole american curbs. Up and down curbs, first try nothing to it. I managed to hop over a parking block just as easily, its all in the mind and you must not need a whole lot of mind...   My mten is now battle scared and beaten enough that its GREAT! Someone wants to give a go of it.. i do not care, just dont get hurt(diff answer if you eyeball my beloved 18L). The plastic seems tough so far and im sure duct tape for when its not. Even tho the mten is pretty tough for a noob, i do think its size makes it less intimidating. I am pretty sure the guy i spent an hour hanging out with, will begin to look into EUC's as he also debates within between it and the OW. I also kept reminding him that a LARGER wheel is a bit easier and makes a better first. I told him the EUC was probably a little safer and it takes longer to learn, so you respect it more. But I also concluded that if it was about safety, we wouldnt be havng this convo at all! Either way, OW or EUC, at least NOW he's seen both in person. Hooray for some dangerous parking lot fun!

Great story :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

The shorter ghetto version? :)

Nice. Yeah, I tend to make long videos ;)

I like the incorporation of a rubber bumper, but you know what I think about zip ties :D

I'm guessing you made this video awhile ago (I don't recall seeing a posting) because apparently now you've blacked-out the cute rainbow LEDs :)

• Like 1

On 3/11/2020 at 2:41 AM, Ben Kim said:

I really don’t get why people think the Mten3 can’t be ridden at 20+ mph cruising. I live in NYC, home to some of the worst road conditions on the planet and have no issues attaining that speed. Just keep your eyes peeled and have some experience, that’s all. I posted a video on YouTube chronicling my journey up 3rd Avenue on the road at 20+ mph riding the beeps. On some of these beautiful roads in other parts of the country, there is absolutely no reason 20+ mph should be of any concern. 

Easy enough to get why I dont think it can, as mine beeps and begins tiltback around 16mph. Its less of a thought, more of a reality. NYC is pretty damn flat too.

13 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Nice. Yeah, I tend to make long videos ;)

I like the incorporation of a rubber bumper, but you know what I think about zip ties :D

I'm guessing you made this video awhile ago (I don't recall seeing a posting) because apparently now you've blacked-out the cute rainbow LEDs :)

Couple weeks ago when i got the mten, the vid is on the "video thread".  I covered the led's with electrical tape (on the inside) right afterwards. I dont have the handle on it atm, as this little mten is seeing lotsa tumbles as I goof off too much on it. I just wish it had knobbies and could go 30 mph.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Mten wandering tour link

Went out for a hill climb on my mten. Its a short 13 degree slope. The mten had plenty of pull to get me easily to the top. It was quite easier than it is on my 18L. The little thing did groan and grind a little as i got near the top and it did the same ALL the way down. Made me a shade nervous to be honest. I uploaded the telemetry from eucw and got a reading of 2800+ watts. Is this nearing the max output of the little mten, or is the data a VERY poor reading?

Mten wandering tour link59020432_mtenpower.thumb.jpg.e52b5f7652617ea1e9e1ecdd92077242.jpg

The Mten3 groans a lot when pushed. I don't see anything here that worries me. 90-amps is where I start worrying and that's why I have a 90-amp alarm configured in EUC World. If it beeps every once in awhile, no problem. But if it starts sounding like Morse Code for than than a handful of seconds, I stop.

• Like 1

90 amps are you serious?! The sounds mine started to make at even half that, had me worried. I couldnt imagine the fuss it would make if i doubled it. I guess Ive a LONG way to go before i max out that 18L.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

90 amps are you serious?! The sounds mine started to make at even half that, had me worried. I couldnt imagine the fuss it would make if i doubled it. I guess Ive a LONG way to go before i max out that 18L.

Note, 90-amps is for Gotway wheels only. KingSong reports substantially less amps.

I don't think any of us really know what the ampere ratings mean. But over the years I've settled on 90-amps as a value to be concerned about. Treat it as a relative number, not absolute. Or call it 90 Beans if that would make you feel better :D

• Like 1

You are doing yourself a great disservice if you dont grind the mten pedal down and reduce that angle a little bit. Hard to see in my pic, but the angle matching my KS, is night and day more comfortable on the ankles/knees/hips. GO ahead, admire the 'street cred, sharkbite look my mten is going for..Thanks for the suggestion! 

vid of pedals

DSCN7838.thumb.JPG.b19ca3c44f09eb817cea2b3b5c7b04c4.JPG

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

You are doing yourself a great disservice if you dont grind the mten pedal down and reduce that angle a little bit. Hard to see in my pic, but the angle matching my KS, is night and day more comfortable on the ankles/knees/hips. GO ahead, admire the 'street cred, sharkbite look my mten is going for..Thanks for the suggestion! 

vid of pedals

DSCN7838.thumb.JPG.b19ca3c44f09eb817cea2b3b5c7b04c4.JPG

I need to do that, I also think that my left pedal is higher than the right which makes my body position all out of whack and it does in fact start hurting my hips after a short period of time.