EUC sharing for travelers

nsauk

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just had a long conversation with my son about airlines and euc wheels. He said that he heard that if you take the batteries out of your wheel you can check in the wheel and than carry on the batteries as carry on luggage! I thought “Wait a minute. That doesn’t sound right.” He heard this from some one wheel friends. Is this possible? My instincts tell me “No way!”  Has anyone heard of this happening?

AFAIK it has happened, Kuji brought a MSX to Frances electric games like that, MrFlex brought his 18XL to Korea this way.
There is always a risk of staff refusing it nonetheless, instructions often say "no PEV" to simplify, they might not have the possibility to confirm the battery is indeed removed. The other way could work as well, I remember some older thread where someone was happily flying around endangering everyone with his EUC.

• Like 1

Latest development seems to be that airlines got together and decided to flat-out refuse any battery-operated ridable on any passenger flights, even without batteries. Probably to prevent uncertainty and long discussions if something is ok or not.

You can't expect to take a EUC on any passenger plane you don't fly yourself. Some lucky exceptions may exist, but do not rely on them.

• Like 1

Last time I checked, at least 6 months ago, there was a Wh-limit on what you can bring aboard. It allowed normal powerbanks but nothing more. Most airlines I checked had the same limit. Wheel batteries would be way beyond.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, John Montpetit said:

if you take the batteries out of your wheel you can check in the wheel and than carry on the batteries as carry on luggage

It's valid if you have no more than 2 batteries with a capacity of no more than 160 Wh each, ex. Ninebot One S1 or S2. Any of more powerful wheels do not pass this restriction.

These terms originate from IATA and are applied with varying degrees of vigilance by different airlines.

Edited by nsauk

Haha, maybe the EUC world app can be expanded into something with EUC sharing? Renters will need at least 1,000Km logged in tour tracking and a decent gallery of photos before being able to rent.