Is 55 to old to ride?

HuskerDawg

Welcome aboard Roadpower- 

I opted for the KS18L. I worked on standing on it holding onto a fence and just rocking back and forth and working along the fence. I found it difficult to make the wheel move forward. That issue was calibration. I had the pedals leaning to far back. After about an hour of this I then decided to concentrate on not using the fence (crutch). I did use the fence to start out but let go and got some speed as quickly as possible. Getting speed was a trick at first. I realized that its more pressing your feet down forward more so then leaning your whole weight forward. I could ride the length of my yard in the grass without the aid of the fence. I then practiced starting out on pavement in front of my garage and then out into the lawn aiming at the corner of the fence. Was able to ride that short distance and stop while catching the fence. 

I made the decision to pad up today and go out in the street and after a few "step offs" I managed to get wheeled up and ride for approx. 4 miles in total. The issue I had today was my calves got very tense to the point of nearly cramping. I found I as nearly up on my toes the whole time and I think that was a product of calibration. I believe I went to far forward with the foot boards and due to the almost natural lean forward I was using my toes to maintain forward balance.  I re calibrated it and used a level. I'll try again tomorrow, weather permitting, and see if that helps. It may be a combination of training the foot muscles as you stated. I posted a crappy video of my first real ride today. I also posted a question about the riding mode settings and what they do exactly. In any case, I am very happy with my progress and kind of proud to be honest of meeting the challenge of learning these things. 

I am thinking I may like a wider tire, not sure if the XL is wider or not but I know the Ninebot z is wider and I believe it is tubeless. Anyhow good luck in your learnings. If I had to give advice, I'd just say to put enough protective gear on that you feel confident you wont get to banged up and then just get on a hard surface and go for it. I haven't moved off the lowest speed setting and probably wont for awhile. It's fast enough for now in this learning curve. Have fun and it really is an eye opening adventure, and I can do it without social closeness. Stay well stay safe and happy riding. 

• Like 2

Thanks Husker, I think the only difference between the 18L and the XL is battery power and maybe color. I got the XL because I wanted a stupid amount of range. Fortunately when it comes to protective gear I have a good bit because of motorcycle riding but I think I may add another helmet and full shin guards.

Cheers

• Like 1

Yup I use my Scorpion riding jacket as upper body protection and a Triple 8 skateboarding helmet. I have many motorcycle helmets but that takes away the joy of riding in the wind for me.

I may end up purchasing a helmet with chin guard. Top of my protective gear list is wrist guards. Its common to break your wrists in falls that may be associated with falling like we'd fall when riding one of these. I wear knee pads too. 

Does anyone have examples of helmets they wear? I want protection but I dont want to wear a full faced motorcycle helmet. I'd like a lighter duty helmet then a motorcycle helmet but do like the idea of protecting from a busted jaw. 

• Like 1

A busted face is exactly my concern, this is why besides having a full face helmet I think it would be prudent to get a motocross type of helmet that has the extended chin guard. I don't need an expensive brand, just something that will do the job for EUC work. At least for the first year which I know is going to have accidents.

Yes I agree and let me know if you find one that serves the purpose. I'll do the same. And Hey I see you are from NYC, how you holding up? 

Hope all is going well and you are staying safe. I know these are really tough times and its important for all of us to maintain mental health as well. 

• Like 1

I'm doing good, thanks for asking!

The paranoia here is getting more palpable. I have mixed sentiments about the fear being spread by the media establishment but there is not much I can do about it as I have a elderly senior in the house that I have to keep in mind. Fortunately I am more or less a natural prepper so I was building food stocks and other supplies months and weeks in advance. As long as electricity and gas stay online I'm in good shape and I haven't seen much in the way of hysteria from my neighbours so I am thankful for that.

We had hurricane Sandy in 2012, so those of us who were around for that probably retained some muscle memory for keeping ahead of calamity. :p

Stay well!

Edited by Roadpower
clarity

I use the Cratoni C-Maniac, a bicycle helmet with a removable chin guard. It is easily the lightest of all chin-anything helmets.

The short and light chin section should maybe be considered being more of a chin skin protection than an actual full-face. Still, it did it’s job admirably back when I went down on gravel cheek first at a lower speed of around 20km/h.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bigwave said:

IMG_5374.jpg

LOVE IT!!!  If you cant fold it up and stow in your pocket, it may be a knockoff.  hahaha. That Bell super DH looks great. I imagine I'll be bucket shopping as it warms up.   Dont fret about the calves thing, Dawg.  I used to ride way up on my toes and my calves got tired. I think its just a matter of conditioning. After a few day, the muscle pain goes away. I Also seem to notice that Im not on my toes as much as I was. It may have something to do with rider posture.... maybe. Ok, so it definitely has to do with rider posture.  Try getting your shins a little further back on the wheel and use your legs to help push it forward. Even if you dont push with the shins, something about the adjustment, helps me sometimes.  Dont forget, ridign thru grass takes a little more OOMPF, so dont be surprised if you seem to be leaning a little extra, or it seems to not accelerate like you hope. You're going to be hauling ass in no time! 20mph is still my fav speed i think. The 18 gets pretty stable around that speed.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

I'm using a motocross style helmet at the moment, made by a company called Astone, and though I really like the comfort of it, the wind noise is appalling. I'm convinced it's because they have that peak on them. I'm tempted to just go for a regular motorcycle helmet instead. I had seen a few shown at CES this year that had head up displays etc. But then found out they will be costing anywhere up to £2000 ($2300)!!! So that idea went out the window pretty quickly!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2020 at 4:25 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

Just get a EUC bodyguard: https://www.roll.nz/int/27-store Also available on ewheels.

In general, don't try to catch the wheel if you have to run off it. Let the wheel fall on its own. Run off and care about yourself. That's what the EUC bodyguard (or an equally comprehensive DIY padding) is perfect for. And what a tether is counter to.

Unlucky people have injured themselves trying to catch a wheel (be it on a tether, or just with their hands or feet) where a low speed run-off would have been a simple and completely harmless affair. Twisted knee, shin damage when the wheel rams into your leg, getting a foot stuck on the wheel and falling, etc.

Pad your wheel up so you don't have to care whether it falls, and then do not care. Care about yourself. The thing will fall over on its own anyways. It's the safest and best way to deal with a run-off at anything faster than walking speed.

(Of course, catching the wheel with your hand when you are extremely slow or standing still and doing some balancing excercise is safe. I'm not saying to just let it drop during learning like you have no arms. But let it drop if you have to run off it.)

This is my opinion. I'm strongly against a tether, learning on grass, or anything else that is "unnatural" (and therefore probably counterproductive) when a simple well-made padding is all you ever need.

As always, follow your intuition. If you just feel a tether is right for you, it's right for you, whatever anybody else says.

I second the info per don't try to catch the wheel.  I used to try and save or catch my wheel when I started out.  Pad up the wheel and let it go.  I found I fall a lot less since employing this tactic.

• Like 1

Thanks Senior Coffee- I have learned to ride and can ride on pavement for about 4-5 miles up and down our street. I dont ride every day but rather every weekend a couple times on Saturday and Sunday. I have to build stamina in my feet and calves. 

I do practice tight turns and want to start to practice changing lanes so to speak. I dont waver much at all side to side but I need to learn how to sway. Watching those Orange County videos, 77 miles ride, the one guy almost always sways side to side "changing lanes". I want to learn how to be that smooth while I ride. First things first though, have to build up lower muscles. 

The biggest thing I found and what gave me the largest leap forward in the learning process was just the fact of getting on pavement, padding up, and not worrying. The worrying about busting my @#$ keep me from learning the first day. After a few hours for a few days, I just decided to go for it and didn't worry about falling or about damaging the wheel. I did buy a neoprene skin, fits perfect, and keeps it protected. I also bought 4x6x1/4 inch self adhesive pads which I put on the "corners" of the plastic before I slipped the skin over. The second biggest thing I found was gaining speed as quickly as possible and letting the gyroscopic effect aid in keeping me balanced. Risky to some extent, the faster you go, the longer the road rash. In any case I have managed to learn, I can ride, now honing the skill to be keep myself as safe as possible as well as others that are around me. I have a long ways to go but man it is a lot of fun. 

How far from Winchester are you BC?

• Like 2

My father of 63 learnt just these last months, took a little while but he's up and rolling

(It doesn't take much physical performance, the main part IMO is having to be able to accept a fall)

/2c

• Like 3

On 4/1/2020 at 5:35 PM, HuskerDawg said:

Thanks Senior Coffee- I have learned to ride and can ride on pavement for about 4-5 miles up and down our street. I dont ride every day but rather every weekend a couple times on Saturday and Sunday. I have to build stamina in my feet and calves. 

I do practice tight turns and want to start to practice changing lanes so to speak. I dont waver much at all side to side but I need to learn how to sway. Watching those Orange County videos, 77 miles ride, the one guy almost always sways side to side "changing lanes". I want to learn how to be that smooth while I ride. First things first though, have to build up lower muscles. 

The biggest thing I found and what gave me the largest leap forward in the learning process was just the fact of getting on pavement, padding up, and not worrying. The worrying about busting my @#$ keep me from learning the first day. After a few hours for a few days, I just decided to go for it and didn't worry about falling or about damaging the wheel. I did buy a neoprene skin, fits perfect, and keeps it protected. I also bought 4x6x1/4 inch self adhesive pads which I put on the "corners" of the plastic before I slipped the skin over. The second biggest thing I found was gaining speed as quickly as possible and letting the gyroscopic effect aid in keeping me balanced. Risky to some extent, the faster you go, the longer the road rash. In any case I have managed to learn, I can ride, now honing the skill to be keep myself as safe as possible as well as others that are around me. I have a long ways to go but man it is a lot of fun. 

The sway if I understand correctly does help. I found that I have to employ the sway. For some reason I cannot just ride straight for long periods of time and not move as I will simply just fall off the wheel.  It's like my brain forgets what it's doing.  Lol. 

Another thing that I employed just two weeks ago is slaloming.  I go about 3 miles per hour and I just slalom to the right and to the left as if I'm going around some cones and I do that for about 200 yards.  I found that this increased my balance tremendously.

I'm not sure if that Winchester question was pertaining to me. If so I am 20 minutes from Winchester.

Edited by Senior Coffee

On 3/21/2020 at 11:31 PM, HuskerDawg said:

Welcome aboard Roadpower- 

I opted for the KS18L. I worked on standing on it holding onto a fence and just rocking back and forth and working along the fence. I found it difficult to make the wheel move forward. That issue was calibration. I had the pedals leaning to far back. After about an hour of this I then decided to concentrate on not using the fence (crutch). I did use the fence to start out but let go and got some speed as quickly as possible. Getting speed was a trick at first. I realized that its more pressing your feet down forward more so then leaning your whole weight forward. I could ride the length of my yard in the grass without the aid of the fence. I then practiced starting out on pavement in front of my garage and then out into the lawn aiming at the corner of the fence. Was able to ride that short distance and stop while catching the fence. 

I made the decision to pad up today and go out in the street and after a few "step offs" I managed to get wheeled up and ride for approx. 4 miles in total. The issue I had today was my calves got very tense to the point of nearly cramping. I found I as nearly up on my toes the whole time and I think that was a product of calibration. I believe I went to far forward with the foot boards and due to the almost natural lean forward I was using my toes to maintain forward balance.  I re calibrated it and used a level. I'll try again tomorrow, weather permitting, and see if that helps. It may be a combination of training the foot muscles as you stated. I posted a crappy video of my first real ride today. I also posted a question about the riding mode settings and what they do exactly. In any case, I am very happy with my progress and kind of proud to be honest of meeting the challenge of learning these things. 

I am thinking I may like a wider tire, not sure if the XL is wider or not but I know the Ninebot z is wider and I believe it is tubeless. Anyhow good luck in your learnings. If I had to give advice, I'd just say to put enough protective gear on that you feel confident you wont get to banged up and then just get on a hard surface and go for it. I haven't moved off the lowest speed setting and probably wont for awhile. It's fast enough for now in this learning curve. Have fun and it really is an eye opening adventure, and I can do it without social closeness. Stay well stay safe and happy riding. 

Initially I bought the KS 14S.  As a beginner wheel it was too small for me. I could not stay on that thing for any length of time at all.  I then bought a bigger wheel, the Ninebot z10.  Out of the box as the saying goes, it's just tremendously stable.  I was finally able to put the miles in that led to me improving my riding skills.

Edited by Senior Coffee

11 hours ago, Senior Coffee said:

The sway if I understand correctly does help. Another thing that I employed just two weeks ago is slaloming.  I go about 3 miles per hour and I just slalom to the right and to the left as if I'm going around some cones and I do that for about 200 yards.  I found that this increased my balance tremendously.

I'm not sure if that Winchester question was pertaining to me. If so I am 20 minutes from Winchester.

Yup the Winchester question was for you, I am about 20 minutes North of Winchester. 

11 hours ago, HuskerDawg said:

Yup the Winchester question was for you, I am about 20 minutes North of Winchester. 

On 4/1/2020 at 5:35 PM, HuskerDawg said:

I'm in Front Royal.

Well Eaglecott, time to move away from such a confined area... You now officially have the disease.. congrats! Thanks for sharing the vid!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, HuskerDawg said:

Looks like a good place to learn. Have to learn to mount and dismount. Good Job!

That, and turning left and right is next on my list along with much better stability and concistensy :-) Thanks

14 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Well Eaglecott, time to move away from such a confined area... You now officially have the disease.. congrats! Thanks for sharing the vid!

Thank you. Hehe yeah... that moment is closing in, but I wanna feel a bit more stable balance before leaving my mother "the fence". The disease is clearly getting the better of me. Sooo nice those times the balance works and I can just relax a bit more.

I couldn't ride that good until week 3, very good.  From my experience I should have started on a larger diameter wheel.  I went from a 14-inch wheel to an 18in wheel and the difference was tremendous towards me finally being able to ride for any distance at all.

Edited by Senior Coffee
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2020 at 8:50 AM, scubadragosan said:

I learned at 56 on my own and taught my 65 years old wife to ride it also. Now we traverse the world with them on our vacations. Favorite city: Singapore, beautiful city trails with scenic ocean view. Best is still San Francisco!

How do you travel with them? I thought the batteries were not allowed on planes.