KS 16S shut off on me at full speed

Steve Oh

Last night while riding(I’ve had my wheel about a week and am starting to feel comfortable on it) I had an unexpected shutdown at about 21-22mph that’s got me counting my blessings. I hit the pavement hard(riding in bike lane) and it had to have looked scary to the Genesee Beer brewers(happened right in front of brewery lol and no I dont drink) who were outside having a smoke break. My wheel went flying and took a more massive crash than I did and I thought for sure it was dumpster material. Surprising to me after I stopped sliding I realized I was conscious and laughing so I jumped up ran down to get my wheel (which still works to my amazement- thank you KS engineers)and I realized I wasn’t hurt too bad and luckily I was right near my apartment when I crashed. I ended up with what feels like a bruised rib, a lightly scraped outside left knee about the size of a quarter and I have a small hole in my hoodie but other than that I’m no worse for wear. I will say that I’m totally to blame for it and was a bit uneducated about “brownout”(?). For about a mile, maybe more, coming down a slow grade I was riding the tilt back which is about 21-22 on the KS 16S. Going forward the first tilt back I get I will be very conscious about listening to my warning beeps! And I totally agree with everyone else about the dreaded unexpected King Song tilt back, I almost crashed the other day because of it. After discovering all this I am now ordering a Nikola Plus in the next week or so when I heal up LOL that way I can get a wheel that is way above the maximum speed I will be riding at, 22mph on the 16S is just a little too slow. Anyone else have experience with unexpected shut offs?

15 minutes ago, Steve Oh said:

Last night while riding(I’ve had my wheel about a week and am starting to feel comfortable on it) I had an unexpected shutdown at about 21-22mph that’s got me counting my blessings. .... My wheel went flying and took a more massive crash than I did and I thought for sure it was dumpster material. Surprising to me after I stopped sliding I realized I was conscious and laughing so I jumped up ran down to get my wheel (which still works to my amazement- thank you KS engineers)and I realized I wasn’t hurt too bad and luckily I was right near my apartment when I crashed. I ended up with what feels like a bruised rib, a lightly scraped outside left knee about the size of a quarter and I have a small hole in my hoodie but other than that I’m no worse for wear.

Great you made it quite well! Get well soon!

I will say that I’m totally to blame for it and was a bit uneducated about “brownout”(?). For about a mile, maybe more, coming down a slow grade I was riding the tilt back which is about 21-22 on the KS 16S.

Not a brownout - an overlean. Riding the tiltback is about using up most of the reserves/safety margins... :(

The link is regarding a KS16C, but the explanation is the same for each wheel (just different numbers):

And I totally agree with everyone else about the dreaded unexpected King Song tilt back, I almost crashed the other day because of it.

Indeed!

Edited by Chriull
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Steve Oh said:

Anyone else have experience with unexpected shut offs?

I think the shut off is fully expected when you ignore the tilt back and beep warnings - it's doing that to tell you to slow down. You luckily came away with minimal injuries yet your first thought is to get a wheel that's nearly twice as fast? Will you be investing in a more protective hoodie? ;)

Edited by mike_bike_kite
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

You luckily came away with minimal injuries yet your first thought is to get a wheel that's nearly twice as fast? Will you be investing in a more protective hoodie? ;)

Twice as powerful and therefore safe. This is exactly the right reaction to such an event. Your wheel is too weak for what you want to do? Get a stronger one.

I agree that a motorcycle jacket or similar can't hurt;)

-

Enjoy your upcoming Nikola!

• Like 1

Twice as safe at 22mph I can agree with. But it will have exactly the same issues at 37mph as the 16S has at 22mph and I suspect he'll be maxing it if possible. Perhaps the guy is experienced enough to ride one of the fastest EUC's out there and maybe the only gap in his knowledge is just what the beeps and tilt back are for. But if he comes off maxing the Nikola Plus then it's going to be messy for him and for whoever the wheel hits.

Maybe I'm just jealous about people having nicer wheels :unsure:

Edited by mike_bike_kite
  • Like 1

The wheel is not the problem here. It is knowing how to ride it safely and what happens if u ride it to the max speed. A suggestion is learn to ride safely by adjusting ur settings, leaving a safety margin, gearing up and mastering basics. The KS 16s is one of the more safe and  reliable wheels but with a little more understanding u will know it for the  great all-rounder/commuter/trick wheel that it is!

• Like 1

It sounds like you'll do fine. I come from motorbikes so I'm very familiar with sliding down the road. Sadly I'm getting into my late 50's now and don't bounce as well as I used too. I'm quite happy at 20mph but that's just me and the type of roads I ride on. If you're getting the Nikola then I'd seriously consider getting some decent protection. I just wear a bicycle helmet and wrist guards but, as I said, I ride fairly slow. Bones start to break when reach 30mph so wrist guards, a motorcycle jacket, knee guards and full face helmet start to become essential. Remember - just protect the bits you want to keep ;)

The main thing though is understanding what the wheel is having to do - 30mph on a full battery is fine, 30mph on a cold day with a low battery and perhaps a small bump lead to a disaster.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Steve Oh said:

When I am riding it my face must look like a baby does when it’s getting tickled LOL

The visual killed me, lmfao!

Yeah man, its like what everyone said. Wasnt unexpected, haha. You had mad warnings, but sometimes we just have to eat it to learn our lesson. I was waiting for my first fall. Took about 600km before it happened. I was getting cocky and i rode directly into a giant pothole and did some parkour. Was fully geared up so it felt like jumping on a memory foam mattress. No bruises, scrapes, anything. But you learn. And from there I was able to be smarter about my riding. 

• Like 1

what is your weight? you may just be a little large for the 1200 W motor, at least while pushing the wheel as it sounds like you were.. it's by no means an underpowered wheel I've found it to be perfect for every day use but I'm an extremely light weight rider so I can't even get it to tilt me back hard the tilt back is barely even noticeable... I have about 3 1/2 years and 20k km experience on 3 different KS16S' never once even had a close call.. but I suspect if you're a heavier rider and pushing it hard then yea you should definitely go for something bigger/more powerful.. what I'm trying to say is don't let it put you off, these wheels are extremely safe if you don't push past their limits, which comes mostly with experience, just take it as a hard lesson :p

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Steve Oh said:

I was telling my friend I’m kind of glad it happened and happened early in my EUC career because it humbled me and gave me a newfound respect for my wheel.

That will last maybe two weeks and you'll be back at the limit again with a slower wheel. Take it from someone who's done it a few times.

• Like 2