Automatic notoriety

I have not seen a single other EUC in the metro NYC area and I go into Manhattan at least a couple times a month. 

There's loads of e-bikes, e-scooters, e-skateboards - both, the 2 sets of wheels type as well as a single big wheel in the middle. I see a woman on a small scooter with a seat at the train station in the mornings. 

Never, ever, another EUC.

Maybe I should check out the Hudson river bike path in Manhattan.

After running an errand on my EUC, I rode by my son's Middle School (7th & 8th grade) just as they were having a fire drill (over 1000 kids).  Many fascinated exclamations and finger pointing as I rode by.  Maybe in 10 to 15 years when they get enough disposable income, one or two will get one. :P

Also, earlier I almost got creamed by a car that turned right in front of me to get into a store parking lot as I was riding down the sidewalk in view of 3 elderly onlookers.  After that incident, I talked with those 3 onlookers for a while who said they had never seen these things before.  Of course, after they almost saw me get hit by a car, many of their questions and statements were about the safety...  I received multiple "Be Safe!" statements from them as we bid farewell.  I don't think they are going to buy an EUC. :)

• Like 1

On one hand.. I feel like EUCs should be reasonably popular in cities within 5 years because they're so insanely practical. On the other hand.. I've been riding for more than a year and still have not convinced a single friend to get one. 🤷

• Like 3

Some will be enamored by it, most will be resentful of it, some will want to steal it, very very few will actually get one, so on and so on.....

As long as you don't ride these things like I see 90% of people already riding them....then everything will be just fine. Oh wait...it's impossible, these things are too zippy and agile to drive responsibly...we're screwed.

• Like 2

Guess im gna have to start locking the truck on the rare occassions I go to the store. It did occur to me that the wheel in back was worth more than the truck. No way im leaving it home, sure beats walking if the truck quits (hasnt yet), and its nice to be out of the hood rolling around from time to time. Maybe a crook wouldnt know wtf it is and is lazy enough that 50lbs of dunno , aint worth carrying. Doubt it.. I hope to find out this summer if theres any other wheelers around these parts.. Id imagine most people may find it too costly and seems too difficult. For now, Im trying to be very mindful of cars and people, last thing i want is to be singled out as the cause of any anger or law changes.

• Like 2

Some Eucs are really "too difficult" for the average sedentary adult in overweight, very common in the western countries.  And they should need dedicated/devoted and wide lane to use them safely in narrow urban spaces.  Where I live it's a huge problem and it will  worsen in the next future in the most crowded cities and towns. Only very skilled and experienced riders can afford regularly  a similar situation, avoiding easily constant, sudden and dangerous obstacles(moving or not). 

Then there's also a clear PARADOX: the cheapest ones are also the Eucs toughest to learn at the beginning, and this is a big and "scaring" downside for people "euc-curious" or quite seriously interested about it.

Edited by Eko

On 1/16/2020 at 7:42 AM, ShanesPlanet said:

Guess im gna have to start locking the truck on the rare occassions I go to the store. It did occur to me that the wheel in back was worth more than the truck. No way im leaving it home, sure beats walking if the truck quits (hasnt yet), and its nice to be out of the hood rolling around from time to time. Maybe a crook wouldnt know wtf it is and is lazy enough that 50lbs of dunno , aint worth carrying. Doubt it.. I hope to find out this summer if theres any other wheelers around these parts.. Id imagine most people may find it too costly and seems too difficult. For now, Im trying to be very mindful of cars and people, last thing i want is to be singled out as the cause of any anger or law changes.

I have not run out of gas or broke down in many many years but I am ready for it! .... ... Quick!,   to the BAT WHEEL! 

• Like 2

To me, EUCs are gadgets. In terms of cost, e-scooters, skateboards, bicycles...etc. are much more practical. EUCs, though not meant to be, are really for the "elites", those with disposal income, a little bit daring, enjoy solitary, free-spirited, don't mind a little notoriety, trailblazing, ... Not too many mainstream public nor children meet these characteristics. I think it is going to stay as a passionate hobby for the few likened to the sale of small 2-people car would never beat the sale of mainstream cars.

Edited by scubadragosan
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2020 at 9:30 AM, ZoomWheelz said:

Of course, after they almost saw me get hit by a car, many of their questions and statements were about the safety...  I received multiple "Be Safe!" statements from them as we bid farewell.  I don't think they are going to buy an EUC.

:roflmao:

On 1/16/2020 at 12:43 PM, tenofnine said:

As long as you don't ride these things like I see 90% of people already riding them....then everything will be just fine. Oh wait...it's impossible, these things are too zippy and agile to drive responsibly...we're screwed.

Video content often goes hand-in-hand with showing off, I think it would be a mistake to assume that what you see in videos is representative of the general EUC population's riding style. It's also worth noting that a lot of the content posted here is recorded with 360 cameras, which make it look like you're going much faster than you actually are.

On 1/16/2020 at 1:42 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

Guess im gna have to start locking the truck on the rare occassions I go to the store. It did occur to me that the wheel in back was worth more than the truck.

:roflmao:

Same here: my 18XL is worth more than my 20-year-old car :efee612b4b:

When I carry it around in the car I cover it with an old blanket ;)

• Like 3

I think the main hurdles are the steep learning curve and the high prices (compared to other "portable" electric vehicles). Most sensible people that get to try an EUC will feel it to be extremely unsafe/unstable. They will not persevere through the learning process.

At work almost all my colleagues are interested to some degree when I ride up. They quickly lose said interest when I tell them the pricing :lol:. I get the most ooh's and aah's from younger children when riding past (maybe it's the led's :rolleyes:).

Also EUC's are technically illegal in my country. The law does not cover one wheeled vehicles here. So far I haven't ran into any police that had issues with me but I would like to keep it that way so I don't mind being the underdog lol.

• Like 1