CST C-186 tire review (MSX)

mrelwood

mostly... when you see the diameter first it usually means bike tire which uses an approximation of the outside diameter of the tire.  When you see the diameter last it usually means moto tire which uses the rim diameter.  That sometimes gets messed up though so its really about what the tire was intended for. 

x = x  18x2.5

- = -   60/100-14   

Example: for my 18incher wheel.

(-14 same rim size as 18x incher. 60width / 100 height = 60-100%= 60mm height)   80/90-14 ( 80width -90%height = 72mm height)

60/100, 80/80-14, 80/90-14 TIRES CAN BE BIGGER.. Because of knobbies 2.75 can be closer to 3.00 inches also.. Numbers mean nothing in this care.

They are not the same.

What Eucner said, check that post everything is explained. 

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, KVS said:

I guess I'll see if my knobby 2.5x10 fits. I can razor the side knobs but not sure about the height. 

Thanks

For motorcycle tires, 2.5 should be a section width. It is the nominal width without knobs. In actual tires, the real width can be something different. Fitting to S2 is very unlikely.

• Upvote 1

The tire shipped and appears to be too large as you guessed. I'm going to try and see if it will fit after cutting the knobs but the amazon seller sent me the wrong tire and is tubeless. I don't have tubeless parts. Thanks amazon sellers. 

Edited by KVS

21 minutes ago, KVS said:

The tire came in which appears to be too large. Plus the amazon seller sent me the wrong tire and is tubeless. I don't see how I can pump a tubeless tire on this one wheel when the stem is on the innertube. Garbage!

Many use "tubeless" tires with tube.. Because euc rim are made only for tube tires.

So it doesn't mater that it's tubeless. I did the same..

The tire may look larger than it is.. when you put on "thin" rim = tire gets thinner. 

If you are talking about diameter, then maybe it's wrong tire size.

More info... What did you buy?

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, KVS said:

Thanks Funky, I'll give it a shot.

I installed K66 80/80-14 on my 18xl. When i got that tire it was really 80mm wide. But on 40mm rim it was closer to 76mm. After i cut it - it was 66mm wide. In 73mm wheel well opening.

I knew that 76mm wont fit in 73mm opening.. But i knew it can be cut = 66mm (Lost 10mm in cutting)

Many tires can be cut that way. You just have to find tire true measurements. Then figure if it will "fit"

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, KVS said:

I looked up that tire and don't see how you cut the tire down since you don't have knobs. How did you cut it? 

Sides had 4mm knobs + round bead going around tire

Check my tread in "tire" section. Can see how i cut it. <3

Nice, so you didn't lose much traction? My tire which was the incorrect tire the amz seller had sent has fewer knobs than I was expecting so I might compromise the traction a bit. I bought spikes as well but I don't know if that will help on wet concrete (50% of my ride)

You can see if I cut the outside knob, I'm left with just 3 knobs in the center (with spikes). At that point, might it be better to just use a same size street tire as the knobby tire? It's the same size, without knobs. Maybe I can sneak spikes in them and Dremel the tips and smooth them out when they protrude.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7r54bj1mebxu7gb/IMG_0011.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8s6qgscsxtpdb20/Streets.jpg?dl=0

Edited by KVS

27 minutes ago, KVS said:

Nice, so you didn't lose much traction? My tire which was the incorrect tire the amz seller had sent has fewer knobs than I was expecting so I might compromise the traction a bit. I bought spikes as well but I don't know if that will help on wet concrete (50% of my ride)

You can see if I cut the outside knob, I'm left with just 3 knobs in the center (with spikes). At that point, might it be better to just use a same size street tire as the knobby tire? It's the same size, without knobs. Maybe I can sneak spikes in them and Dremel the tips and smooth them out when they protrude.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7r54bj1mebxu7gb/IMG_0011.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8s6qgscsxtpdb20/Streets.jpg?dl=0

I did not test my tire yet.. To much snow outside at the moment (hard winter) 

I would use the kenda then.. Second image.

I ride 90% asphalt/pavement. So i don't know.

• 11 months later...
On 10/14/2019 at 10:49 AM, mrelwood said:

C-186   Tire Review

Turning & Carving

This tire carves very strangely. It has a delay to it’s tilting behaviour that I haven’t experienced with any other tire: When I start to lean into a turn, the wheel stays upright at first, but as I continue the turn, the wheel slowly starts to tilt. Once I ride straight again, the wheel stays tilted at first before slowly getting back in the upright position.

This behaviour is immediately noticeable, and strong enough that it could be a show stopper for some people. I am hoping that the tendency would diminish a bit once the tire breaks in. I did notice that the behaviour is less pronounced already when dropping the pressure from 2.5 to 2.4 bars. (For reference: I used 2.7 bars with the original tire, and 2.5 for the H-666.)

Sorry I necromanced this thread but found it via Google, whilst researching this knobby found on my Master.

Yesterday, I pumped my CST186 up to 2.7 bars and had the most nerve wracking ride of my life. The carving and turning of this tire is atrocious and I nearly fell off my Master. I guess I had it originally on lower PSI and gradually as the air went out the ride became more planted, albeit at the expense of potential rim damage.

This tire doesn't get much love and I understand why. However, as I looked at the tire profile front top down view, I noticed that the outer tread (not center tread) is flatter and doesn't curve in a way that connects with the outermost tread. I think this tire is meant as a rear wheel tire. Anyway, I took a razor cutter and trimmed the outer tread so the top-down profile is more curved. A much rounder profile.

On my test ride, the tire handling improved immensely and I did not get any of the unnerving tilting behaviour. It feels essentially like a brand new improved tire. A sharp razor and 30 minutes labour is all that's needed to improve this tire's handling characteristics and I put this modification right up there with changing out the linkage and adding fairings on top of Master mod priorities.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Mango said:

Yesterday, I pumped my CST186 up to 2.7 bars and had the most nerve wracking ride of my life.

No surprises there. These rigid 14” motorcycle tires are generally used at 2.0 bars or a bit below. Getting rim damage or snake bites seems to be an elevated risk at those pressures only with the much softer and flexible bicycle tires that EUCs used to use.

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...
On 1/7/2023 at 7:20 AM, Mango said:

Sorry I necromanced this thread but found it via Google, whilst researching this knobby found on my Master.

Yesterday, I pumped my CST186 up to 2.7 bars and had the most nerve wracking ride of my life. The carving and turning of this tire is atrocious and I nearly fell off my Master. I guess I had it originally on lower PSI and gradually as the air went out the ride became more planted, albeit at the expense of potential rim damage.

This tire doesn't get much love and I understand why. However, as I looked at the tire profile front top down view, I noticed that the outer tread (not center tread) is flatter and doesn't curve in a way that connects with the outermost tread. I think this tire is meant as a rear wheel tire. Anyway, I took a razor cutter and trimmed the outer tread so the top-down profile is more curved. A much rounder profile.

On my test ride, the tire handling improved immensely and I did not get any of the unnerving tilting behaviour. It feels essentially like a brand new improved tire. A sharp razor and 30 minutes labour is all that's needed to improve this tire's handling characteristics and I put this modification right up there with changing out the linkage and adding fairings on top of Master mod priorities.

No worries - that's a useful necromancing and makes this thread newly relevant for the modern EUCs on which the CST-186 still appears.

I am one of the few people who has persevered with it on the Master for the first 1000 miles of riding. At first I absolutely hated it, like so many others, and found the tippyness of it on the Master most disconcerting, and was baffled as to why they would put that tyre on a machine with high CoG and pedals above axle height. It was as if they had thought specifically 'Now what tyre would MOST exacerbate this problem ?'

But 1000 miles in, the sharp corners of the knobs have worn down to the point where carving now feels comfortable and the slight tippyness remaining is easily manageable and my muscles are now so used to expecting and controlling it that it is only something I need to think about when faced with the most adverse cambers of roadway or pavement. And I am prepared to put up with that for immense levels of grip that this tyre offers - I too have been unable to make it slip out on corners in mud, grass, and even loose gravel. However, the corollary is that it also retains mud like no other tyre, and if you are unfortunate enough to be riding through heavy clay for example, you can easily add 5 lb to the weight of your wheel through picked up wet mud alone, and you can gunk up your wheel well into a truly sorry state if not careful, hence me avoiding the mud if I can despite knowing it probably won't slip in it !

I am due for my 1000 mile service, and having had a Michelin City Extra sitting here for 3 months I feel I should try it at some point, if for no other reason than to make sure I am not missing out, but I can honestly say that now it has bedded in and worn down, I really like the 186, almost against my will given how much I hated it initially ! 

But my one at least, IS unstable at high speeds, and prone to minor wobbles, which is unnerving, so I don't ride fast on it very often. I am hoping that is one of the things the City Extra will improve, and I'll take a little less grip to get that.

Edited by Cerbera

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/27/2023 at 2:39 PM, Stevebee said:

Just found this thread. Does the CST C-186 2.75-14 fit the V11 without trimming or removing the kickstand? 
I think the answer is yes from earlier posts but would love to know for sure

Yes, it is.